Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The moisturizer risk: reviews please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
JohnMatrix
5% products discount

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Everytime I buy a new moisturizer I sweat the outcome.
I have tried Oil of Olay (oil free wont clog pores version, white bottle black cap)
I have tried 100% natural virgin coconut oil
I have tried Aloe Vera
I have tried Nivea for men SPF 10
I have tried Nivea Visage - Q10 the small jar
And most recently I have been using Aveeno, I started with the daily moisturizer, but I moved to a stronger aveeno which is the blue/brown bottle "skin treatment"
Now the aveeno's have not made me break out at all, which is why I continued to use them, all these other ones have caused breakouts, now maybe I didn't use some of them correctly or maybe I was young and it was natural break outs but recently I realized I have many many clogged pores and didn't know it. WHenever my face got moist with water or after washing I would notice the clogged pores sitting there as if the face wash I used couldnt get rid of them. But yet my forehead and chin and the sides of my cheeks look smooth and the pores have no clogging whatsoever, just on my nose and cheeks where the pores are most common.....SO it's like what the hell do I do, I HATE having dry skin like anyone else, and I can't stand buying all these products that don't truely work or know my skin. Is it time for a clinique counter visit? or will that just be another more expensive waste of time? The most upsetting part in all this is when my skin is dry, whatever is clogging the pore gets dry too, and if it falls out, I have an enlarged pore that is basically permanent, and that instantly depresses me. So make sure that whatever recommended moisturizers you post, just keep in mind that my pores seem to let moisturizers and oil sit and harden....
Also I run the risk of a terrible break out (im getting less and less acne problems as I get older (im 20) but the wrong product seems to bring it all back!)
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
John what do you cleanse you face with?

I have been a fan of Dermalogica because I have highly reactive skin (easily congested and irritated) and have found Dermalogica - while some have commented to be slow at showing results - in spite of its 'slowness', works without making my skin break out.

To keep your routine simple I would suggest using Dermalogica The Bar for cleansing, followed by their Skin Smoothing Cream (and sunscreen in the AM). That's it.

OR, since it's moisturiser you are looking for, just try the Skin Smoothing Cream but cleanse with oil, as I have found cleansing with oil strengthens the skin somewhat and takes care of problem pores.

HTH some!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
oh, and stay away from the Clinique counter!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
JohnMatrix
5% products discount

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried around 30 or so face washes in my lifetime.
Currently though I am using "NEUTROGENA EXTRA GENTLE CLEANSER" which doesn't leave your face dry but also lacks deep cleaning, so in experimentation I have been using "NIVEA FOR MEN OIL CONTROL FOAMING FACE WASH" which seems to break up clogged pores and doesn't seem to dry so badly...And 2 days ago I bought a bar of AVEENO balancing soap (bar) which doesn't seem to cleanse very well either though it is very gentle.
This is the only bar soap I have used that didn't dry my face so badly, but doesn't clean that well.....
Also tonight I have already washed my face, and I didn't apply moisturizer, which is really weird because I ALWAYS use it....My face was tight at first but it seems to be creating natural oil to get rid of that, but im impatient so after about 2 hours I splashed on some NIVEA VISAGE toner on the areas that felt dry....
Also one time I was told I use too much moisturizer which is why I could be getting clogged pores....
How is your skin supposed to feel when running your finger accross it? Should your finger get resistance, glide accross from moisture, or feel as if u never applied the moisturizer?
I put the length of the tip of my index finger and mix it in my hands and apply, and if I feel dry I reapply the same amount....
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Why would you splash on toner on dry areas? hmm wouldn't that dry your skin even more?

When you say a cleanser "doesn't clean very well" do you mean you expect that squeaky clean feeling? Your skin doesn't have to be squaky to be clean.

I don't know what you want your face to be clean from, but whatever it is I strongly recommend the oil cleansing method. Just put in small bottle about a half full of castor oil, fill it up with olive oil, and add a few drops of ylang-ylang essential oil (which is good for clogged pores), shake well and use that instead of soap for cleansing your face every night. Wet a face towel with hot water, wring, and wipe off the oil of your face using the towel. Repeat until all the oil is removed. Then use a tiny bit of the same oil (or just olive oil) to moisturise your face with. Within three days you should notice less congested pores and smoother skin (although I noticed smooth skin immediately after!)

If your skin 'purges' with this method, simply slap on some apple cider vinegar (diluted with water) or use an aspirin mask.

That's about the skinniest, most simple routine I can think of for a man. HTH!

JohnMatrix
5% products discount

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Well this Nivea Visage Toner (pink bottle award winning says the lid) hydrated my tight feeling skin.
And no I don't look for the squeaky clean feeling, I just don't like seeing clogged pores sitting there after i've washed my face. (these are the kind of clogged pores that are right on the surface and if you applied a tiny bit of pressure would further surface them and if you removed them would leave a PERMANENT enlarged pore) Sad
What I don't understand is Other people's oily oily skin. I see adults (maybe that's why) like my friends mom and she has OILY OILY skin everytime i see her, T-zone AND cheeks, full oily skin BUT I don't see a clogged pore on her whole face. I am so lost, and I fear applying moisturizers because of a breakout or just more oil+moisturizer clogged pore creation. AND the 8 dollar risk of a new product that sits on the shelf in the bathroom if it doesnt work.
(8 dollars adds up fast if you have tried 25-30 lotions and cleansers)
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 am      Reply with quote
JohnMatrix wrote:
Well this Nivea Visage Toner (pink bottle award winning says the lid) hydrated my tight feeling skin.
And no I don't look for the squeaky clean feeling, I just don't like seeing clogged pores sitting there after i've washed my face. (these are the kind of clogged pores that are right on the surface and if you applied a tiny bit of pressure would further surface them and if you removed them would leave a PERMANENT enlarged pore) Sad
What I don't understand is Other people's oily oily skin. I see adults (maybe that's why) like my friends mom and she has OILY OILY skin everytime i see her, T-zone AND cheeks, full oily skin BUT I don't see a clogged pore on her whole face. I am so lost, and I fear applying moisturizers because of a breakout or just more oil+moisturizer clogged pore creation. AND the 8 dollar risk of a new product that sits on the shelf in the bathroom if it doesnt work.
(8 dollars adds up fast if you have tried 25-30 lotions and cleansers)

You're too funny, the way you explain things...I know what you mean...you know that 'other people's oily oily face' you were describing? I have it! Laughing Well not so oily anymore now that I'm doing the OCM. Seriously! If someone made this and sold it I'd have made them rich from recommending it to so many people!!! Laughing My skin used to be congested, too. Nothing I did would make it smooth. Each time a whitehead was extracted it would leave the pore gaping permanently, but OCM has made my skin smooth with tightened pores.

Go on, give OCM a try, and let us know how it goes. You want to (gently) clear up your pores first, then moisturise with something non-pore clogging.

BTW, would others like to share their thoughts on this and help John out? I don't think he needs an elaborate beauty ritual, so the OCM-moisturiser should work well enough (and personally, I don't like to see my partner having more beauty products than me! Bad Grin)

rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:38 am      Reply with quote
You are a real cutey Laughing
Try the homemade Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream (recipes thread):
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=0
Followed by the homemade ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar ) Toner again see above.
And then my personal Holy Grail for keeping those oilies at bay, I have very oily skin and no-one has a clue Wink I swear by Jojoba Oil as a moisturiser. If I have a breakout then I apply some Lavender Essential Oil neat to the effected area and then apply the Jojoba Oil.
A bottle of this will last for ages, mine lasted a good year and that's using it every day.

5% products discount

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:34 am      Reply with quote
You guys are the cute ones with your crazy homemade antics.... I will give these a try because it might be the best thing ever. Oh yeah did OCM mean "castor oil, fill it up with olive oil, and add a few drops of ylang-ylang essential oil" ???????
I notice that my facial whiskers feel more brittle since i've stopped using my Aveeno but my skin looks alot more clear pore wise. Oh and my friend uses jojoba oil, ill ask him about it though he tires of me talking about facial routines.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:51 am      Reply with quote
Yup. OCM stands for 'oil cleansing method' (which I'm SO fond of) and it's also in the recipes thread Rosebud was talking about, I think. Although the recipe calls for 1:1 ratio of castor and olive oils, I'd recommend that you start with only 1 part CO to 3 parts OO, because CO can make your skin itch sometimes.

You can always use it without the essential oils, just CO and OO will do, but ylang-ylang is particularly good for congested pores.

Good luck! Very Happy

Oh, and the oil will take care of your whiskers, too... Laughing

rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Oh another thing, if you have whiskers then exfoliate exfoliate exfoliate before any shaving.
I'd use an exfoliater nearly every day.
Neal's Yard do a good one called Honey and Orange scrub also Dermalogica's Skin Prep scrub is good too:))
Or you can even just add some sugar to your favourite cleanser

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if this will help but Rene posted this up on the skin type and favourite products thread in the reviews forum:

Quote:
After reading all your input I thought I had to provide some myself.

I'm a 28 year old man from Scandinavia and have bright skin. I have had problems with oily, dehydrated skin for as long as i can remember. My pores get stuck easily.

I started out trying the products seen on tv but they didn't work. After this I started using Dermalogica but moving toward Decleor now. I am still open for valuable input for new things to try out. So if you can see a wonder-product I haven't tryed yet please let me know ,-)

I'm looking for a mask that I can take off with all the impurities from the skin - anyone know a good one? Let me rephrase that... the perfect one Very Happy

I haven't been able to feel a difference when using a moisture spray/toner - any suggenstions?

Below are the products I've tryed rated in a 0 to 10 scale:

Cleansers:
Decleor - Clean Up [7/10]
Dermalogica - dermal clay cleanser [8/10]
Dermalogica - anti-bac skin wash [7/10]
MD Formulations - Facial Cleanser [9/10]
(Dermalogica - daily microfoliant [9/10])

Shaving:
Dermalogica - professional shave [9/10]

Moisture:
Decleor - Hydra Floral - Hydrating Comfort Cream [10/10]
Decleor - Hydra-Matte Regulating Fluid [Oil free] [8/10]
Decleor - Keep Comfort - Calming Norishing Cream [for men] [9/10]
Dermalogica - active moist [10/10]
Dermalogica - oil control lotion [6/10]

Moisture supplement:
Dermalogica - multi-active toner [6/10]
Dermalogica - skin hydrating booster [8/10]
Dermalogica - skin renewal booster [8/10]
MD Formulations - Moisture Defense - antioxidant creme [7/10]
MD Formulations - Facial Creme [5/10]
MD Formulations - Facial Lotion [9/10]
MD Formulations - Moisture Defense - antioxidant spray [7/10]

Eyes and mouth area:
Decleor - Stop Fatigue-Wrinkles Eye Contour [for men] [10/10]
Dermalogica - total eye care with spf15 [7/10]
Dermalogica - multivitamin power firm [9/10]
MD Formulations - Moisture Defense - antioxidant eye creme [8/10]
MD Formulations - Vit-A-Plus eye creme [8/10]

Peeling and masks:
Decleor - Clay and Herbal Mask [?/10]
Decleor - Nourishing Cereal Mask [6/10]
Dermalogica - anti-bac cooling masque [7/10]
Dermalogica - gentle cream exfoliant [8/10]
Dermalogica - skin prep scrub [9/10]
Dermalogica - skin hydrating masque [8/10]
Dermalogica - skin refining masque [8/10]
Dermalogica - multivitamin power recovery masque [10/10]
MD Formulations - Face & Body Scrub [7/10]
MD Formulations - Moisture Defense - antioxidant treatment masque [9/10]

Special products:
Dermalogica - barrier repair [7/10]
Dermalogica - climate control [4/10]
Dermalogica - special clearing booster [5/10]
Dermalogica - medicated clearing gel [5/10]
Dermalogica - conditioning body wash [7/10]

Solar defence:
Dermalogica - solar defence booster [spf30] [9/10]
Dermalogica - waterproof solar spray [spf25] [9/10]
Dermalogica - full spectrum sun block [spf15] [9/10]

Selftan:
Dermalogica - Protective Self Tan SPF-15 [6/10]
MD Formulations - Sunless Tanning Creme [8/10]
St. Tropez - Tinted Self Tanning Lotion [7/10]
Fake Bake - The Face [7/10]

A low rating does not mean the product can't be right for you - only that it didn't work for my skin type Smile

If you need any comments on the ratings please let me know and I will explain...

René

Rene has whiskars too Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:40 am      Reply with quote
John, sometimes simple is better. Use Elizabeth Grant a.m. & p.m serums. Thats all you need to balance your complexion. All problems will be solved.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Are you looking for inexpensive or willing to invest some money? The DR H CC and ACV toner are good simple inexpensive ones to follow after a simple cleanser, maybe Cetaphil (doesn't dry but cleans)? Then see if you can wrangle some samples of the IS Clinical Pro-heal and Hydra cool to try before committing to the cost. It tightens, lightly exfoliates, and moisterizes while normalizing your skin. My husband and son swear by them, as do I (on my soap-box again). My son is in college and used to have combo/oily skin which tends to dry and flake on his cheeks, chin and nose with acne wash usage and occasional breakouts around exam time but this has changed it. He still hardly remembers to wash his face when he drags his weary butt into bed most nights (or mornings to us) but this regime has still been keeping his skin soft, glowing and fairly clear. Now if they just had an IS Clinical product for healthier lifestyle (and he's better than most I will agree), I'd jump on that bandwagon in a heartbeat.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Definately try Dr H CC to clean out pores and do not visit Clinque's counter Rolling Eyes

You may want to invest in a good clay mask and a moisturizer that's for sensitve and acne prone skin (Jurlique's Calendura Cream comes to mind)

Also, if you shave, a good after shave is great. My partner really likes Kiehl's Men's Alcohol-Free Herbal Toner. It smooths out after shave irritation well.

If you have extra money, then you should also go for something like IS Clinical Proheal or other vitamin C serum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud, I'd never known a man who has used so many beauty products before!!! Shock

hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud, Omigod, that dude that you quoted earlier...I cannot believe he tried ALL those products! I hope they were samples b/c they add up! Shock

5% products discount

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Scary stuff....I could spend a year just experimenting on all these ways. I suppose it is a journey for us all to find our perfect facial routine. Do any of you have MSN or AIM? instant chat is much easier.

And thank you all so much for taking the time to read my posts and help me out! It's good to find a collective with knowledge
JohnMatrix
5% products discount

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Oh yeah and P.S.
Are soaps like Irish Spring or Dove 1/4 moisturizer bar in any way BAD for your skin? Or is it just that they are harsh? And if they are harsh, wouldn't that mean they clean well?
Like if you used Palmolive on your face, (not good) im sure it would be overdrying but would it not get the job done?
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi John
I used to suffer from clogged pores as well. My skin was not bad but it would suffer from mild breakouts once in a while. And if I somewhat neglect it for a while, the "cloggers" will come back in full force. WHen I washed my face, I feel bumps under my skin, esp at the sides of the face.

Since I used MD formulations cleanser, I rarely get a breakout, and I eventually cleared most of the bumps. Prior to this, I too have tried my cleansers but they do not work as well.

If you are interested, you should try their kit for dry skin. It also should improve your skin texture and pore size.

HTH
JEnny
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
"Rosebud, Omigod, that dude that you quoted earlier...I cannot believe he tried ALL those products! I hope they were samples b/c they add up! Shock"

Laughing They must have been samples or maybe someone with a worse beauty * spam alert * than us lot!!!

John I don't think there are any right or wrong products when it comes to your skin and what you use. Its just about finding what is right for you.
I know quite a few men and women who just use soap (my mum included) and their skin looks great.
Once when I was browsing very expensive skincare in Selfridges, I asked the woman behind the counter what she used, she was in her late 50s with the most gorgeous skin, better than mine and I'm in my 20s!!!!
And yes she used soap and cheap moisturiser from the Supermarket, so it just goes to show.

With me I know my skin looks best when I stick to simple, inexpensive homemade concoctions but I like the luxury of some of the higher end products. I love the Dr Hauschka scent of the Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream (especially in winter) and that of the Decleor Neroli.

A lot of it I think comes down to lifestyle and 'feel good factor', I mean take away the packaging and a lot of products are not even worth the time of day.
My mum had awful acne prone, oily skin and now she's almost 50 and considering she only uses soap and no moisturiser Shock her complexion is vibrant and young.

I think if you take care to watch what you eat and lead a healthy life then your skin will reflect this oh and smile, you can take years off by laughing and smiling...that's what really makes a person more beautiful.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:

I think if you take care to watch what you eat and lead a healthy life then your skin will reflect this oh and smile, you can take years off by laughing and smiling...that's what really makes a person more beautiful.
[/quote]

Well said my dear. Smile

Going off the internet for the night. Happy Thanksgiving to the US folks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Loads of good advice already given, but I would second your mate's recommendation of jojoba oil as a moisturiser.

Stay away from detergent based cleansers too (that means any soaps and nearly all rinse off face washes) OCM way to go!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |