Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Fragrance-Free Workplace?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
My brother got a promotion at Cingular Wireless(used to be AT&T) and will be travelling to Vancouver a few times per year. He was told not to bring cologne because it is a fragrance-free workplace. Is this common? I wonder if it is just cologne & perfumes or entirely fragrance-free?

I haven't heard of this here in the states, but there probably is some.

-Cheri
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Interesting. I am guess here...I think because Cingular Wireless do a lot of sales jobs and cologne and perfumes are of personal preference and taste so they don't want customers to be affected by the them in any negative way. For example, some people are allergic to certain fragrance or some people might just hate the fragrance the sales is wearing. I think a fragrance-free workplace is more common in jobs like sales and other service-oriented business. I don't think he needs to be completely fragrance-free, just not have any strong fragrance and no cologne.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard of it in a few places. Just means one or two of the staff are allergic to fragrance and have bad reactions...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Have heard of this as well, which is ok if the scent is overly applied, but sometimes I think some instances of political correctness is going too overboard.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think it is becoming more common; as are nut-free workplaces. I am all for it. It sucks going to work and getting sick due to an allergic reation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I personally wish this would be done in my office! I have asthma and so many people put far to much on!! I sometimes have to run for my ventolin...Also it worries me incase I have a full blown attack.. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I do think this is a really good idea, I know several women who wear perfume that is far too strong and after a while it just gives you a headache, also strong smells and certain scents can trigger off migrains in people.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
the offices i know that do this is b/c one of the executives is the one having the reactions. Headaches are pretty common. I get migraines from CK Escape.

If it's bothering you tell the HR person...or politely tell the person whose scent bothers you that you're getting sick and could they put on less or try another fragrance.

It's usually ladies who put WAY too much on that bother me. My gym is now a scent free zone cuz some ladies there were bathing in it and then sweating on the machines and ewww...it wasn't pretty.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the only woman in my office, and no one ever complains about my perfume. If they did, I'd probably bring up their foul language, cigar smoking, and maybe even body odor. I still wouldn't want anyone to suffer because of my perfume though.

-Cheri
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I wear perfume, but I'm generally in favour of such a policy because I sometimes feel ill from strong scents. I wish Mugler's Angel could be banned Neutral

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 am      Reply with quote
how bizarre. Can we ban ugly/miserable people as well?

I would hate to think I couldn't have a spray of something in the morning, I do object to those who OD on it, the same as I'd object to B.O Confused
If it were causing migraines or something then that's fair enough.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I wish my agency would subscribe to the fragrance-free environment because I’m one of those people with a hyper-sensitive sense of smell so when someone has applied enough of some heavy, cloying perfume to float the Armada and I get stuck standing next to that person in line or on an elevator, it immediately triggers a blinding migraine which feels like someone is driving an ice-pick into my brain!

My sensitivity to smells is so bad that until the magazine industry got sued a couple of times until they finally stopped including 15 different perfume samples in a single issue of Vogue or Cosmo or whatever back in the mid-to-late 90s, I couldn’t even browse through an issue of a fashion or beauty magazine without instantly being struck with a headache so bad that all I wanted to do was curl up in to a fetal position and die!

For the record, the only sort of perfume fragrances I can tolerate are vanillas, musks and – believe it or not – Bare Escentuals signature “Escentual” scent....

Anyway, I say that if someone can smell your scent from 50 yards away and their eyes begin to water, you’re wearing too much perfume! People who wear a spritz of scent that can only be smelled if one nuzzles your neck or sniffs your wrist, that doesn’t bother me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:42 am      Reply with quote
haha, yes I wear perfume everyday, but am so careful not to overdo it especially with the asthma. We have 1 lady who wears Clinique Aromatics by the bucket load, its such a strong fragrance that all I smell all day is this, even my lunch tastes of it! By the end of the day I feel sickly and headachy.

That is 1 perfume to go very easy on! Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Gucci wrote:
We have 1 lady who wears Clinique Aromatics by the bucket load, its such a strong fragrance that all I smell all day is this, even my lunch tastes of it! By the end of the day I feel sickly and headachy.

That is 1 perfume to go very easy on! Rolling Eyes
Yes, it is heavy floral or heavy "oriental" scents that have my eyes rolling up into the back of my head and diving for my migraine pain meds!!

People should be taught that if their perfume/cologne/after-shave can be smelled by someone standing 2 feet away, then they are wearing way too much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have mixed thoughts on this subject. I work in a very large company and boy some people take things to the extreme. On one hand people poor the smelly on and makes my eyes water and I sneeze all day. On the other hand, I guess it is better than smelling people that stink. I don't know what is worse, the smell of smoke or the smell of a person who went swimming in perfume.... Rolling Eyes
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
I vote for banning perfume. I give myself four injections a week to help me deal with my allergies so let me tell you that people with heavy perfume do not help my allergies one bit.

Why not use a nice shower gel before going to work and save the perfume for the weekend? I spend more time with my co-workers than I do with anyone else so it is important for me to be in an environment that does not make me sick.

Just my thoughts.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |