Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
non-meat protein
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
jamie630
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Where can I get protein without eating meat? I'm trying to cut back on red meat and chicken.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Dairy product is a good source of protein. If you want to totally eliminate "animal product" then soy products and beans are the way to go.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Legumes, beans and nuts!

This site may help

http://www.powerofmeat.com/non_meat_protein.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
I've been a vegetarian for a number of years now and it's quite easy to find non-meat sources of protein.

I regularly include in my diet the following sources of protein: beans, nuts, eggs, cheese, leafy dark green vegetables, spirulina protein shakes, yogurt, nuts, whole grains and various soy products such as soy milk, tempeh, etc.

If it's only red meat and chicken that you are trying to cut back on try fish -- it's an excellent source of protein.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
chimera...I second that! I have been a vege for 16 years. Beans,nuts,soy all good sorces...you really dont need tons of protein everyday. You can get more than enough by making sure you eat a balanced diet. A great book to read is called Garden Cuisine by Paul Wenner.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I thought I would ask a question anyways b/c I'm curious. Everytime I try to by these healthier products, I end up spending a fortune. Even veggies can get pretty expensive given their shelf life. So my question is, do you guys have to spend more money now as a vegetarian or do you have cheaper solutions to eating these healthy foods?

I'd like to incorporate more of these items into my daily meals but some of them, particuarly those with soy, can get so expensive. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. hmm
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I would say it is more expensive to eat vegetarian but I have really never known any other way... Veges do add up and I feel like I am constantly grocery shopping because I like fresh everything. I would suggest that you substitue beans for meat in your current meals. Or just omit the meat. There are also farming co-ops that you can split with people and get great (organic) fruits and vegies for not a lot of money.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Also nutritional yeast flakes are high in protein & a great substitute for cheese in recipes. Also mung beans ar every high in protein, well, as well as most all legumes & lentils.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:16 am      Reply with quote
Quorn is very popular here, I think because it has a firmer texture and holds flavour better than soy.

Here's some more info on protein rich foods.

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/protein.php

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I definitely find that it is a more expensive and time consuming lifestyle. And as Olivia said you end up going shopping a lot more often in order to have fresh produce.
blissgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I am not a vegetarian (although I am not a big fan of meat) But I know that when I am spending $$ on more organic veggies and fruit I get don't get sick as much (colds, etc) and I think I save money on doctor bills and supplements, so depending on how I rationalize it, it seems like I'm saving money. Then I spend anything xtra on skincare! Laughing

I find that buying grains and beans in bulk is much cheaper.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Cottage cheese is a source of very high protein. Word of caution though in regards to meat. I wouldn't totally cut out meat eating; you could CUT DOWN on portion size but don't take it out of your diet. Animal protein are the building blocks of the human body.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
- mushrooms! (I can always remember an ad with the copy "Mushrooms - meat for vegetarians" Laughing )
- tofu (just toss cubes in the pan with veges and stir fry with a yummy sauce)
- try eating one serve of red meat once a week rather than cutting out.
- don't add too much fish (unless you know the source and know it is mercury free - ie. go for fish farm fish)
- if you are worried about not having enough protein, try a home-made protein shake once or twice a week

if you are cutting back on meats, what will you be changing them for? Replace those meats with lots of veges and if adding carbohydrates make sure they are complex (brown rice, wholewheat breads etc.)

I am getting hungry Laughing
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:59 am      Reply with quote
[quote="SusieQ"]Cottage cheese is a source of very high protein. Word of caution though in regards to meat. I wouldn't totally cut out meat eating; you could CUT DOWN on portion size but don't take it out of your diet. Animal protein are the building blocks of the human body.[/quote]

Not true, there is nothing in meat that you can't get elsewhere.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
B12 is only high in ruminant meat. Recent studies that address meat show that the bad effects from meat come from particular types; things with high fat that have been cooked at high T, smoked meats and most processed meat (like bologna). Ingestion of meat with a meal decreases blood sugar spikes and increases abosrption of iron and some other nutrients.

Meat eaters live longer than vegetarians. The oft quoted 7th day ADventists data is misinterpreted as they do not drink, smoke and get plenty of exercise. If you disregard the exercise and compare lifespan against Americans who only drink a little bit and never smoked the advantage is to the meat eaters and it is huge (around 2.5 years). The meat eaters had more coronary disease but the vegetarians had more stroke and cancer possibly because of high Omega 6 intake on fat profiles.

The reason to be a vegetarian is that you do not want to harm animals a worthy enough goal in itself. If that is not your agenda then eating lots of green leafy things, high fiber carbs, and a wide variety of protein sources including meat is most healthful. Soy comes in many forms I like the soft gushy forms especially in hot soups but all of the tempeh burger type things taste foul to me (and I've tasted many brand as sis is a vegan). Mushrooms have about 15% protein. You don't eat much weight so it isn't a bulk source. They are good for you though moderate consumption does help your immune function.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:05 am      Reply with quote
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12/

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
If you are worried about b12 consumption, you can find it naturally in whole grains, soy products, dairy products and eggs (among others) . . . or if you are like me you can take a b12 or b-complex supplement and it does the trick! Very Happy
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Sharky -- do you mind posting the sources where you read that vegetarians have shorter lifespans than meat-eaters? Because this contradicts most of the studies I have read, and I would like to see where you are getting your information.

At any rate, if you are intent on becoming vegetarian I wouldn't be deterred by a study or two, they always seem to be changing their minds!! Cool
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot 2 other soy products that
I eat frequently.

Edamame are really good tasting green soy beans. They are given as an appetizer in Japanese restaurants. My dd loves them as snacks and I put them in salads.

Also there is a product called Soy Nutlettes (available on the WEB and at Whole Foods grocery stores) that I eat several times per week. I use it mixed with cereals or on toppings of desserts. It tastes and has the texture of Grape Nuts
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry Eve, but I disagree with you. Plants have a different form of iron from meat and is not absorbed as readily by the body. It is also not sufficient to take an iron pill or to eat a lentil burger. Vegetarians need to eat A LOT of foods rich in iron. You will find out quickly how you feel by not including SOME meat in your diet.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
To each her own, I guess...I've never felt better since switching to a vegetarian diet! I find it's a lot easier to eat better too, since you can't just grab a burger for dinner.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:45 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
Sharky -- do you mind posting the sources where you read that vegetarians have shorter lifespans than meat-eaters? Because this contradicts most of the studies I have read, and I would like to see where you are getting your information.

At any rate, if you are intent on becoming vegetarian I wouldn't be deterred by a study or two, they always seem to be changing their minds!! Cool

most of the stuff I've read says that to, but that is based on a healthy vege diet containing more fresh fruit and vegetables, there's plenty of crappy vegetarian foods and people who live off chips.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:46 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I'm sorry Eve, but I disagree with you. Plants have a different form of iron from meat and is not absorbed as readily by the body. It is also not sufficient to take an iron pill or to eat a lentil burger. Vegetarians need to eat A LOT of foods rich in iron. You will find out quickly how you feel by not including SOME meat in your diet.

I'm not saying it's the same, that's crazy, I suggest anyone who stops eating meat read up on nutrition. All it takes is a little bit of thought.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree, Eve. I've been a vegetarian for the last 4 years. It DOES take more effort and thought, but with enough work you can get all of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients you need. I agree that there is NOTHING in meat that you can't find elsewhere; it just takes a little work!
daisyatl
5% products discount

Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
I have been a vegetarian for 21 years (I am now 34). I am not sure where you are located but there are so many good protein options for non-meat eaters...way more than there were 20 years ago. Here are some ideas for meals that are quick and easy. If you are located in the US, of the soy products, I would recommend Morningstar Farms. Even my non-vegetarian friends eat their "sausage" links/patties -- best made with a George Foreman grill. I would also try the chicken nuggets and anything else that looks interesting. I eat a lot of beans --- love Mexican food so often make my own burritos. Peanut butter (and jelly) is always an option (maybe not if you are not American as my non-American friends don't seem to like it much). All the new soy crisps that are out now are great (come in cheddar, barbeque, etc... flavors). Silk soy milk is quite popular. There is so much stuff.

I disagree with anyone who says that you need meat in your diet....especially now with all the soy products, you can eat very well.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |