Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
eyelid eczema - HELP!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LHARTWICK

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am brand new to this forum. I am REALLY struggling with eyelid eczema. I have tried MMU eye shadows but still have red, itchy skin on my eyelids. I am currently using Protopic to clear it up and I am not using eye shadows at this time. Just too painful. This cycle has been going on for several years. I am at wit's end. Drs just say to quit using cosmetics and give me creams/ointments to use, which can only be used sparingly. Anyone have any advice as to what to do or what supplements to use? ANY advice is greatly appreciated. I look like walking death without eye shadow so I'd really like to get my eyelids back into shape so I can wear them again, even if it's occasionally. Even Cetaphil really irritates my skin. About the only thing that doesn't is petroleum jelly. Again, any suggestions are welcome!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lori and welcome to the forum. I just developed a rash on my eyelids about two months ago and am certain it is eczema. Unfortunately I have no clue as to how to cure it so have being using cortisone cream which I know is a no no. Hopefully we will both get some helpful suggestions from this topic.

sherri
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Homeopathy, A good homeopath would I am certain be able to clear it up for you.
Here are some related sites:
http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/1148/

http://www.harrisonclinic.co.uk/homeopathy.php

http://www.holisticbirds.com/HBN01/augsep/pages/itch.htm

My mother in law suffered all her life from eczema to the point where she was covered from head to toe and shedding skin everywhere she went!! She went from Doctor to Doctor and only went to see a homeopath as a last resort expecting some sort of witch Doctor. He gave her 3 graphite pills, her eczema got worse first then completely went all within 2 weeks!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I cheked on yahoo for info on eczema, and this is what I found out:
http://www.eczema-facts.info/eyelid-eczema.htm
http://www.eczemamiracle.com/ www.facedoctor.ca www.usmedicalresearch.org

I hope it will help you Very Happy
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
I mentioned this on an earlier post, but a friend of mine in Japan had terrible eye eczema and her mum sent her Horse Oil (someone here said referred to as Horse Mane Oil in the west). Here eyes looked great within a week!

One website I read here said dont use it on eczema but after seeing what it did for her... (none of the medications from the doc worked - they were either useless or way too strong)
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I've had eye eczema in the past and my sister also had it. I personally think it's down to stress, lifestyle (too many toxins) and chemicals in makeup. Whatever you do do NOT put steroid creams on your eyes! They might help all the time you're using them but the eczema will probably come back when you stop as you wouldn't have stopped the problem of what's causing it in the first place.

When I had it, I tried all sorts of creams and then found Liz Earle Daily Eye Repair which is the only thing that clears it up. The Liz Earle range is a UK company which use the purest ingredients. They have a website, Lizearle.com, not sure if they accept international orders but it's always on eBay too.

I gave my sister a tube of it, she'd had the eye problem for about a month, within 4 days it had cleared up.

One other thing, when it is sorted out, don't use the same eyeshadow applicators.
Hayley
5% products discount

Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
I also suffer from eyelid eczema and the thing that fixed it was emu oil...don't know how you feel about using an animal product but it did work for me. Also, I like the Burt's Bees primrose overnight cream. I put it on my eyelids and the stuff is sooo thick that it really protected and helped the area..but it is really thick stuff! good luck!
jools
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Wheatgerm oil used at night can also be very helpful in clearing up excema on the eye lids and elsewhere. good luck with whatever you try
LHARTWICK

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hayley: what do you use for eye makeup or foundation? I'm having trouble finding any of either that doesn't make my eyelids red/itchy.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have been battling with this problem for almost a year. At first, I thought I was having an irritation because insect repellant was near my eyes. I went to the eye doctor and was prescribed an antibiotic ointment for the eye. It helped but did not clear it up. As we moved into the winter months I was certain the condition was caused by lack of moisture in the air in my house. It never dawned on me this was anything more than that. I tried everything. Every lotion for dry skin, vaseline, even a diaper rash ointment. Nothing cleared it up. I started to suspect it was something different than what I was thinkin. I read somewhere online rather than washing the face with regular soap and washcloth or facial cleansing wipes baby shampoo should be used without a washrag. I tried this. The gentleness of the baby shampoo helped with the scaling but the redness was still there.
Last weekend, I went to my local Walgreens looking for something, anything else to try. I found something, Aveeno Eczema Care lotion. The tube is marked "new" so I am assuming it's a new product. It was not with other lotions or face care products. It was in the aisle that has cortisone creams, Ben Gay and such. It was rather expensive $10 for a tube, but I decided to give it a try as I had tried everything else including a prescription ointment.
So here is what I've done. I continue to wash my face with my hands using a baby shampoo. It actually works well since the baby shampoo is so gentle and tearless. The I put the Aveeno lotion on my entire face and go to bed. In the morning, I follow the same routine. Today is day number 5 and there is a huge improvement!!!! The dry scaling is almost gone and the redness is fading day by day. I will continue to use this routine as long as I'm seeing results! I'm now able to use eye makeup again and it not look terrible. I wanted to pass on the remedy that has worked for me because it is relatively inexpensive and has proven to be helpful for me.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
sasiredhed69 wrote:
I have been battling with this problem for almost a year. At first, I thought I was having an irritation because insect repellant was near my eyes. I went to the eye doctor and was prescribed an antibiotic ointment for the eye. It helped but did not clear it up. As we moved into the winter months I was certain the condition was caused by lack of moisture in the air in my house. It never dawned on me this was anything more than that. I tried everything. Every lotion for dry skin, vaseline, even a diaper rash ointment. Nothing cleared it up. I started to suspect it was something different than what I was thinkin. I read somewhere online rather than washing the face with regular soap and washcloth or facial cleansing wipes baby shampoo should be used without a washrag. I tried this. The gentleness of the baby shampoo helped with the scaling but the redness was still there.
Last weekend, I went to my local Walgreens looking for something, anything else to try. I found something, Aveeno Eczema Care lotion. The tube is marked "new" so I am assuming it's a new product. It was not with other lotions or face care products. It was in the aisle that has cortisone creams, Ben Gay and such. It was rather expensive $10 for a tube, but I decided to give it a try as I had tried everything else including a prescription ointment.
So here is what I've done. I continue to wash my face with my hands using a baby shampoo. It actually works well since the baby shampoo is so gentle and tearless. The I put the Aveeno lotion on my entire face and go to bed. In the morning, I follow the same routine. Today is day number 5 and there is a huge improvement!!!! The dry scaling is almost gone and the redness is fading day by day. I will continue to use this routine as long as I'm seeing results! I'm now able to use eye makeup again and it not look terrible. I wanted to pass on the remedy that has worked for me because it is relatively inexpensive and has proven to be helpful for me.

I occasionally get this and it's so sore, irritating and looks terrible. That's a really good tip. Not sure I've seen this product in the UK but will probably pick some up on my next visit to Canada.
irish_emz

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hey,

I'm Emma, and I have had this problem for years, and I've been from pillar-to-post trying to get it resolved. I've found that Clinique products are really good, especially from the SuperMoisture line. My eyes are that affected that people have stopped me to tell me that it looks disgusting or painful. Embarassed

But I found that really works :]

ooh and cortisone is baaaaad, even though it works.
AmyJ123

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I have never had any problem with my eyelids. I recently began using Mary Kay products and after 3 months I developed a terrible eczema-like state on my eyelids. Itchy, red, scaly.I cannot wear any makeup on my eyes at all. The only thing that seems to relieve it is washing with Ponds cold Cream and moisturizing with Ponds face cream. I also use Paladin - a diaper rash ointment. My question is does anyone know if Mary Kay might be the culprit here? This is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I love all the ointment suggestions I have read and plan on calling the doctor for an appointment. Any info on the Mary Kay?
havana8

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
AmyJ123 wrote:
I have never had any problem with my eyelids. I recently began using Mary Kay products and after 3 months I developed a terrible eczema-like state on my eyelids. Itchy, red, scaly.I cannot wear any makeup on my eyes at all. The only thing that seems to relieve it is washing with Ponds cold Cream and moisturizing with Ponds face cream. I also use Paladin - a diaper rash ointment. My question is does anyone know if Mary Kay might be the culprit here? This is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I love all the ointment suggestions I have read and plan on calling the doctor for an appointment. Any info on the Mary Kay?

Welcome to EDS. Smile It's totally possible that you could have developed a sensitivity to something in the Mary Kay product that is now manifesting as contact dermatitis/excema. Have you tried discontinuing use for a while to see if that helps to clear it up?
AmyJ123

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes I have stopped using almost all makeup entirely unless I have to go out and then it is a little blush lip gloss and a touch of Almay mascara(what I was using before Mary Kay). The paladin looks horrendous but really seems to work and is very soothing. Ill check into these other remedied as well. Thank you
chouchouzhang
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Can you just try some mineral eye shadow?I know most people are less sensitive to those stuff. Also do not put eye cream on upper eyelid. It may be helpful.

good luck!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 am      Reply with quote
LHARTWICK wrote:
I am brand new to this forum. I am REALLY struggling with eyelid eczema. I have tried MMU eye shadows but still have red, itchy skin on my eyelids. I am currently using Protopic to clear it up and I am not using eye shadows at this time. Just too painful. This cycle has been going on for several years. I am at wit's end. Drs just say to quit using cosmetics and give me creams/ointments to use, which can only be used sparingly. Anyone have any advice as to what to do or what supplements to use? ANY advice is greatly appreciated. I look like walking death without eye shadow so I'd really like to get my eyelids back into shape so I can wear them again, even if it's occasionally. Even Cetaphil really irritates my skin. About the only thing that doesn't is petroleum jelly. Again, any suggestions are welcome!
I second the emu oil. My husband has eczema bouts every winter and the emu oil seems to work very well for him. Keep the eye area well hydrated. And hey if the petroleum jelly works for you than continue to use it! Use cream shadows or rub a bit of powder shadows over the petroleum jelly. Unrefined shea butter works very well for eczema too.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:17 am      Reply with quote
I had a bout of red, scaly, peeling eyelids that lasted for a couple of months all told. Very annoying, and I never did figure out what caused it. I used an OTC steroid cream recommended by my doctor--didn't do any good at all. What seemed to work was avoiding eye creams and makeup and alternating Aquaphor ointment, Vitamin A and D diaper rash ointment (!) and Julie Hewett camellia oil lip balm. No idea which of these worked best, but once I got serious about alternating them several times a day, the eyelids cleared up and I have had no more problems. (Knock on wood...)

I know you want to wear a bit of eyemakeup while you're fighting this. I'd be careful about the mineral eye shadow. A lot of people react badly to mica and bismuth, two common ingredients in mineral makeup.

If you want to have a bit of color on your eyelids while healing them, I'd mix a tiny bit of matte powder (matte being unlikely to include mica or bismuth) with the healing emollient you are using. Also, I'd avoid eyeliner or mascara, since you'll need to use a heavy duty remover to get it off, and the remover may interfere with recovery.

Good luck with this!
AmyJ123

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Wow! What wonderful advice! I'm so glad I found this site. I am so excited to get started with all of these suggestions. I have heard most prescriptions do not work so I may wait on the doctor visit. Ill let ya know and again thanks so much!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Keep us posted, Amy, and let us know what worked best for you.
AmyJ123

Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I really appreciate the info on the mica and bismuth and I plan on invesigating these elements further since I was using ALL of the mineral eye shadow from MK. I have a feeling these elements are the culprit..We'll see..I will keep you posted....
AmyJ123

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to say thank you so much! I stopped at the store and picked up some of the primrose Burts Bees Eye Cream - the Naturally Ageless. Funny, I was using the Burts Bees Radience but it wasn't working. Then I read the labels and saw that the Radience has MICA in it!

Thanks for the awareness of the bismuth, mica and carmine. I believe this is it. I also got some of the CeraVe and Aveeno as well as simple baby shampoo and mineral oil. As soon as I applied the Burts Bees naturally Ageless - my eyes were soothed immediately and the redness also began fading. I just can't believe it. I am so much more comfortable! Surprised

Thank you thank you! I am almost certain it was the reaction to the mineral powder makeup. I would guess the mica and maybe the carmine. Is there another term for the bismuth?

I truly appreciate your advice and I hope others are assisted as well! I will let you know if it clears up all together in a week or so!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Amy, glad to hear that you seem to be on the road to recovery! Bismuth (short for bismuth oxychloride) is a mineral that irritates a lot of people. It is what makes some mineral makeups (Bare Essentials, for one) sort of shiny on the skin. For that reason, a lot of mineral eyemakeups seem to have bismuth to create a satiny finish. No problem, of course, unless like many of us you turn out to have a sensitivity...
AmyJ123

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Again I wanted to thank you for the great advice concerning my eyelid rash/eczema/contact dermatitis/whatever?.

It has been day 3 now and I wanted to share what seems to be successful results. My eyelid rash is clearing up. I am not wearing any makeup at all (I'm a teacher so thank goodness I am on break and don't have to go anywhere until Jan5)

What has been most successful is the washing with baby shampoo and then applying the Aveena Body Lotion. Throughout the day I apply this lotion whenever I feel my eyelids are dry or itchy. It clears up the redness right away. The CeraVe wash and lotion was a little too harsh and stung - maybe the alcohol?

I also use plain petroleum jelly or the Burts Bees Ageless intense Repairing Serum (EXCELLENT)

I could not find the Burts Bees Overnight Cream anywhere nor the Aveena Eczema Lotion. I found the Aveena Eczema Body Wash which I have also used on my face - tag teaming it with the baby shampoo.

So it seems the Aveena is winning for me here. I love it. I can't believe how this has helped and so quickly. I have had this rash for almost 3 weeks now!

My next question - when my skin is stable again I want to wear really good makeup that won't do this to my skin again. (Sorry no more Mary Kay) I do not wear much makeup at all so I don't mind paying a little more for it. What are suggestions for a good makeup for minimal use that is all natural? Looking forward to your ideas.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
AmyJ123 wrote:
Again I wanted to thank you for the great advice concerning my eyelid rash/eczema/contact dermatitis/whatever?.

It has been day 3 now and I wanted to share what seems to be successful results. My eyelid rash is clearing up. I am not wearing any makeup at all (I'm a teacher so thank goodness I am on break and don't have to go anywhere until Jan5)

What has been most successful is the washing with baby shampoo and then applying the Aveena Body Lotion. Throughout the day I apply this lotion whenever I feel my eyelids are dry or itchy. It clears up the redness right away. The CeraVe wash and lotion was a little too harsh and stung - maybe the alcohol?

I also use plain petroleum jelly or the Burts Bees Ageless intense Repairing Serum (EXCELLENT)

I could not find the Burts Bees Overnight Cream anywhere nor the Aveena Eczema Lotion. I found the Aveena Eczema Body Wash which I have also used on my face - tag teaming it with the baby shampoo.

So it seems the Aveena is winning for me here. I love it. I can't believe how this has helped and so quickly. I have had this rash for almost 3 weeks now!

My next question - when my skin is stable again I want to wear really good makeup that won't do this to my skin again. (Sorry no more Mary Kay) I do not wear much makeup at all so I don't mind paying a little more for it. What are suggestions for a good makeup for minimal use that is all natural? Looking forward to your ideas.
I have to commend you for your profession as teacher; its the hardest job I think, next to raising children. Back to your eczema. Thrilled things are working out for you. I think the Aveena is whats working because of the emollients in it. Another kudo for petroleum jelly! Sometimes I use it to keep the eye area moist. I wouldn't know where to begin to recommend good makeup for you. Theres so much to choose from. Lavera comes to my mind as being all natural and they have a website which is informative. Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |