Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Homemade Lucia/Ardell Lash Serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Hey Ladies -

Yesterday I was browsing on the Personal Formulators website when I noticed that you can download a PDF of their entire product catalog so I did and printed it out so I could browse through it at my leisure for future ideas and inspiration.

One of the first things I noticed was that they sell a shampoo base that is free of sulfates, fragrance and colorants so I’m thinking this would be a good bet for the members who were asking about a this type of shampoo not long ago because they had bad reactions to most other shampoos. The thing that intrigued me the most was the fact that you can purchase additional herbal ingredients to customize your shampoo to your particular needs or liking, such as adding extra protein, moisture, shine, color protectant, volume, and any essential oils that might tickle your fancy, such as peppermint or rosemary which are known to stimulate hair growth. I got really excited when I started realizing all of the possibilities and plan to order the raw ingredients to make my very own version of the customized version of Pureology’s Volume and Moisture shampoo for a fraction of the cost (once you buy all of the necessary ingredients which is a bit of an expense, you are then able to make numerous bottles of shampoo which will pay for itself in the first month or two)! Hell, they even have an additive to put in your homemade shampoo which contains henna to boost your natural highlights!!

Okay, back to the point: while I was scoping out all this ingredients for hair care stuff, something was niggling at the back of my brain which was telling me that I could probably make a homemade version of Ardell Lash Growth Accelerator, and possibly a homemade version of Lucia Essence lash serum – or even a combination of the two – provided that I am able to purchase some of that...what the heck is it called, the magic ingredient? Isn’t it some type of B-vitamin? Help me out, guys – I went to the Lucia website but they still don’t have their English page up and I can’t read a word/symbol on the regular page!

Anyway, if I could buy some of that whatever it is, and maybe some Ecrinal (click here for more info: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8096&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ecrinal), I could combine it with castor oil (ingredient in Ardell), maybe some keratin and panthenol and some of that herbal shine stuff from the Personal Formulator, maybe even some of their herbal color protectant to help maximize our lovely midnight blue-tinted lashes courtesy of the 1000 Hours Lash Tint to help the results last longer. I’m really excited about trying to make this super lash serum and I’m going to be order most of the ingredients later today...naturally, I’ll use myself as the guinea pig until I perfect my formula – then I’ll package it and sell it to all of my EDS friends and y’all will make me a millionaire and I can retire from my tiresome job and stay home concoct new beauty recipes all day! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Ooooh Carrie!

Go for it! I've never used the Lucia stuff ... but I've read the great reviews on it.

I'll be first in line to order the Carekate Super Duper Eyelash Serum! Laughing

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:11 am      Reply with quote
you guys were all raving about the Ardell when I joined the forum...and I thought to myself: they're mad!!! How can all these women willingly put some scary product on their lashes to make them grow - hight of vanity! And what scary stuff makes the lashes grow?Haven't they got better things to worry about? (sorry about the semi judgemental thoughts ladies Embarassed )

But Carrie, when you've figured it out I would loooove to try some if I may...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
ajax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the magic ingredient is you are looking for, but I think it's a great idea and will be eager to see how it goes....i've been thinking the same thing myself, but you have to be so careful around the eye area. Afraid to experiment too much.

I was in Sally's Beauty Supply looking for castor oil(seems to be a good thing for hair growth, so I have heard). They have a ton of products (all under $Cool for the scalp with B vitamans and horsetail, castor oil, etc etc etc. and I couldn't help but think hmmmmm.....I wonder how this would work on brows/lashes.

Worth a try~

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
hahaha.... Cool = 10. Made a litle mistake, wasn't trying to be clever. Embarassed

BTW, after using the Ardell for around a month, my lashes look pretty good, they seem thicker. But I have also been using it on my brows and honest to God, i had to trim them last night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie,

I will email Mai from eBay and ask her to get an interpretation on the ingredients. I will email tonight and let you know ASAP. It would be awesome if you make a concoction that is as effective. You could it "The Essence of Carrie"! HA!
Laughing
Babs
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie, if I'm not mistaken the magic iungredient is Inositol (it's a kind of Vit B, you're right).

Good luck in your quest! Very Happy

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that “inositol” stuff is that magic ingredient in Lucia that I need for my magic lash potion. I searched for it this morning and found a 100% pure liquid version of from my friends at iHerb (where I buy my HA/collagen pills) for around $12. And I found somewhere else to order some pure liquid Ecrinal for around $10 so I should be well on my way to creating our magic lash potion! I can hardly wait to get the ingredients and start to work....

I hadn’t thought about checking out the stuff at Sallys, but I’m *sure* the item/s you mentioned would work just as well on your lashes as they do on the hair on your head because most of the lash treatments out there contain those same ingredients! In the past, when I was still wearing waterproof mascara on a daily basis which was wreaking havoc on my hair, I used a leave-in conditioner for my hair on my lashes (applied with clean mascara spooly wand) and had no problems. Anyway, when I leave the salon after getting my highlights done this afternoon, I may just happen to stop at my Sallys on the way to check things out....

Hijacking my own thread and going slightly O/T: has anybody tried the product from “Mark” (offshoot of Avon) called ‘Dream Gleam Lash Topcoat?’ I just ordered it from Ebay after seeing it mentioned in a celeb/beauty/gossip mag yesterday. Apparently it is a lot like Tony & Tina’s “Lash Dew” which I never got the chance to try before the line went defunct. This Dream Gleam stuff is supposed to make your lashes look really shiny and glossy (like your lashes normally look when you get of the shower or swimming pool) and can be worn over bare lashes or mascara. It only costs around $5 so even if I hate it, it’s not like I wasted a ton of money.... I’m thinking it will look amazing on my longer, lusher, midnight-blue tinted lashes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
midnight-blue tinted lashes!

did i miss something? How do you get your lashes midnight blue? That would be great. Also, i would join the throngs to purchase your homemade lash serum, so get cooking please Laughing

Also, i have a dumb question. I have trouble applying the Ardell because all the stuff stays at the base of the bristles of the mascara brush. How do i get it out?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
So Carrie,

Any luck yet with your Dr. Hollands FabuLash Serum? Very Happy

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone please fill me in on the meaning behind "Dr. Holland's" (i.e., where does the name come from?... is it the carekate version of Dr. Hauschka?).

Thanks. I'm so curious and it keeps popping up. Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:35 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
Quote:
midnight-blue tinted lashes!
did i miss something? How do you get your lashes midnight blue? That would be great.
Yep, you missed this: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7546&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=1000+hours Very Happy

Regarding "Dr. Holland" -- it started as a joke made by Mabsy. My last name is Holland and one of the very first homemade recipes that I posted was for the homemade Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream, so Mabsy said I should call the homemade version "Dr. Holland's Cleansing Cream," and it just sort of escalated from there. Now all of my homemade recipes have "Dr. Holland" in the title....

ETA:
rosyface wrote:
I have trouble applying the Ardell because all the stuff stays at the base of the bristles of the mascara brush. How do i get it out?
When you apply it, swirl/twirl the brush along your lashes as your sweeping the brush along the length of them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I’ve been fooling around with my homemade lash growth serum for the past two weeks or so although I still haven’t perfected the formulation where I feel comfortable sending out samples for others to try yet.

Anyway, over the weekend while I was prepping my lashes with my homemade protein treatment just prior to tinting them with the 1000 Hours lash tint kit, I noticed that my lashes have taken an *astonishing* growth spurt since the last time I tinted them which had been around 16 days earlier. I mean that the difference in my lashes is so noticeable that my mom commented on how long and lush they’re looking – and this was when my lashes were completely bare and before I had curled them!

Obviously I can’t attribute these results with 100% certainty to my homemade lash serum since I had – up till just 13-14 days ago – been using Lucia and Ardell once daily (A.M.) and straight castor oil at night, but the difference in my lashes is so marked that I can’t help but think it was my homemade concoction that is responsible! I honestly think that I’m on to something with this, and I haven’t even incorporated the Ecrinal and silica/horsetail extract yet!!

This has got me really excited....

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carrie,

This is so exciting! I'm dying to try Dr. Holland's version of "Lush Lash" growth serum! Laughing

Keep us posted ...

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I never ever thought I'd end up this excited over eyelashes - but I am!!! Very Happy

Great work, carekate. Can't wait to see how the end product shapes up.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I too never thought I'd be this excited about a lash growth serum. I have pretty decent lashes but I'm starting to feel down right greedy!!!

Count me in Carrie, I want this stuff Very Happy
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds great when you're ready I'll buy it.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
me too me too! i'll be glad (excited) to buy samples of your lash serum carekate!!

and about the lash tint carekate... is midnight blue darker or black? i'd love to try it but i already have black lashes to start with ..is it gonna make a difference?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
carekate,

how do you measure your lash growth?
i found it hard for me to do so cause my lashes are curly... and i can't make it straight to measure...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:41 am      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
how do you measure your lash growth?
i found it hard for me to do so cause my lashes are curly... and i can't make it straight to measure...
Don’t laugh because I can’t figure out any other way to do it because mine are a bit curved too, but...I actually collect my lashes as they shed and tape them with clear cellophane (“Scotch”) tape to a sheet of blank paper along with the date that I lost it. Then when I shed another, I tape it onto the paper next to the previous one and see if it looks any longer. Obviously this isn’t at all scientific, but usually I can tell if one lash is longer than the other just by eye-balling it.

What we really need to do is get some sort of measuring device that we can bend to follow the nature shape of our lashes, like a retractable metal “measuring tape” that a carpenter uses, or maybe the cloth measuring tape that a seamstress uses to measure fabrics.

If anyone can suggest a more scientific method for measuring the growth of our lashes, please feel free to speak up!

aprilha wrote:
and about the lash tint carekate... is midnight blue darker or black? i'd love to try it but i already have black lashes to start with ..is it gonna make a difference?
I’ve never used the black, so I can’t say which is darker, but I believe it was Mabsy who pointed out that the midnight blue (blue/black) gives you a more glossy looking result, whereas the black tint is more matte looking.
Also, Mabsy has either very dark brown or black lashes and loves the result she gets from the midnight blue – she ever posted a photo of her results in one of the eyelash tinting threads.

Regardless of which color tint you decide to use, I believe everyone can benefit from tinting their lashes if for no other reason then because it darkens the pale blonde tip at the end of everyone’s lashes, regardless if they are naturally jet black or palest blond. You might want to check out this link for my original product review plus all the other “testimonials” from other members who tried the 1000 Hours kit and loved it (or not!): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7546&highlight=1000+hours

HTH,
Carrie

5% products discount

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
ok, sorry to beat this thing to death, but im thinking about ordering a vial of the lucia to use in combination with the ardell that im already using, and assuming i do experience lash growth from this product, will i be able to keep it once i stop using lucia? ( i still plan on using the ardell everyday once im done with the lucia) or will my lashes go back to the way they looked when i was using the ardell alone?

p.s. - your serum has got me so excited, carekate, i hope everything works out well!

5% products discount

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Oh definately put me down for a tube of "Dr. Holland's Lush Lash Growth Serum" Laughing The eyelashes on my left eye have always been shorter than my right so I'm dying to try a growth serum. Good luck Carrie and keep up the good work! Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I’ve gotten to the point where I’m fairly satisfied with the formula, although I think it will probably have to be used as more of a night-time treatment since it is heavily oil-based, but I don’t want to start sending it out to anyone until I can, A) incorporate the Ecrinal and silica/horsetail extract, and B) find some way to “package” it that will be convenient and not messy.

Last night, I poured out the (nasty, gloppy) remains of my Mavala Doublelash and washed/sterlized the container so I could use it for my lash serum. The Mavala comes packaged in a small glass bottle with a spooly wand built into the screw-top lid (like a typical mascara tube, except it’s a short/squat glass bottle instead) and a little “squegee”-like thing in the neck which wipes off the excess product is you remove the wand from the bottle.

It worked pretty well but if you’ve ever tried Mavala yourself, you’ll recall that it seemed very difficult to get enough product on the spooly wand to completely coat your lashes so you’d sit there and keep repeating it again and again until you finally felt you’d got enough of the stuff on your lashes to actually do any good.... Well, I had the same issue with my serum: with the squeegee-thing in the bottle, it didn’t seem like I was getting enough serum on the wand to coat my lashes with just one sweep of the brush. But when I removed the squeegee-thing, way too much product got on the brush and it was really oily and gloopy, so I think I’m going to have to stick with the squeegee and just be patient enough to apply a couple of coats of serum to make sure all the lashes get coated.

So anyway, does anyone know where I can purchase empty mascara tubes? I’m going to need them for when I start distributing “Dr. Holland’s Lush Lash Night-time Serum” (thanks for giving it a name, Mary!)to all of my volunteer guinea pigs. Mabsy gave me a link to a website called makeyourowncosmetics.com or something like that, but when I tried to access the site, it was blocked by my internet host as being “obscene,” Shock so I need to find somewhere else to look. I wonder if Darren might be able to recommend a place? He’s the one that told me where I could order the little plastic flip-type containers like the ones that PSF uses to send out samples of their Pumpkin Peel and other similar products, which I’ve since been using to send out samples of some of my homemade goodies – maybe the company where he got the lip gloss-type tubes that he uses to package his lip plumping treatment makes something similar for mascara-type products...?

I’ve mentioned this before, but I have limited time that I can spend on the internet (maximum of 30 minutes per day) because I only have access to a computer when I’m at work (M-F, 5am - 3:30pm CST), most of that time gets eaten up just trying to keep up with everything here on the forum which doesn’t leave me much time to research and/or do “leg work.”

Therefore, I’d like to make an offer to anyone who can help me out: I’ll give one free tube of my lash serum to any member who can google and PM me with a list of a few internet sites where I can order empty mascara tubes (either in “bulk” or individually) for a reasonable cost – the cheaper that I can get them, the less I will need to charge everyone who wants to try it for samples! Very Happy Who knows? Maybe DHLL will make me rich enough that I can buy a computer to use at home so I can carry out my own research assignments in the future!! Wink

Seriously though, I’d be grateful if someone could research and send me a list of places where I can get those empty mascara tubes – the quicker we can find a place, the sooner I’ll be able to send out samples!

One final thing: I’m interested in trying to come up with a lash serum that could be used in the daytime, like a conditioning “primer” that you’d apply underneath your regular mascara, but it would have to be something that doesn’t contain as much of the oils (castor, wheat germ, jojoba, coconut – thanks for suggestion the latter oil, Cloe!) as my nighttime version. Do any of my fellow-DIYers have any suggestions? I’m wondering if I could substitute some of the oil/s with Isododecane or propylene glycol. What do all y’all’s cosmetic-chemistry manuals say?!

TIA,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Sign me up as a guineapig as well. Very Happy

I found a few sites and PM´d you.
Margy

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi CareKate,
I did a google search and found the company with the following web-site:www.arminak-associates.com The Tele: is 626-358-4804. They sell all kinds of cosmetic containers and are based in California Idea . I hope this helps.
-Margy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |