Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Over the counter body moisturizer recs
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Girls,

I'm back in NYC after 10 days of being in sunny Southern California. Sad My skin all over my body is extremely DRY! I am in search of a good over the counter moisturizer. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Anna

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
For me, Jergens Skin Smoothing works well since it has AHAs in it to help get rid of dead skin cells. BUT, when I feel dry and itchy, I prefer the Aveeno Oatmeal lotion. It stops the itchiness. I also like to use their oatmeal bath powder. For a super-duper moisturizer plus AHAs, Amlactin 12% (ask the pharmacist for it)is fantastic but expensive.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
If your skin is reactive I would go for a product free of parabens, chemicals and mineral oil. Aubrey Organics makes some good ones. I have used the sea buckthorn formula and callagen almond formula with success. They are nongreasy and really absorb into your skin. Of course, my skin tends to the oily side so I only need light moisturizers. I bet they work well on any type of skin though.

Jason also makes some good hand and body lotions that are nongreasy and absorb well.

And post sun exposure dryness can also be relieved will aloe gel.

I have heard that massaging oil (like jojoba or almond) on your body after a shower while your skin is still damp works really well to moisturize skin. I guess as your skin dries it pulls the moisture into the skin? Thus, your skin won't feel as oily. Anyone else heard of this?

HTH! Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I really like betterat40 suggestion.

and you can shower with Cetaphil mixed with baking soda. After you shower, apply Amlactin 12% lotion or any other lotion that has AHA
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
i hear Olay Quench is a good body moisturizer because it lasts all day and absorbs in the skin.
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I like Keri Fast Absorbing lotion. I am super picky about lotions Laughing If it is too thick I feel all sweaty, like my skin can't breathe. I can never apply lotion at night cause of this feeling, can't seem to sleep when I put on lotion at night hmm So, if I put the lotion on in the morning it has to be light and non-sticky and dry fast cause I have to get dressed quick and run out the door. Truth be told usually I am too lazy to do this...so my skin is SUPER dry Shock When it gets too dry I just throw some Neutrogena Body Oil into my bath. It is a really great sesame oil (?) that moisturizes great and isn't too greasy. You can also rub it straight on...gives you a nice healthy glow Very Happy
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies! I actually bought Jergens yesterday and am giving it a try. So far it seems to do the trick. Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:07 am      Reply with quote
I've used Jergens before, and it seemed to work nicely. But I just bought this great moisturizer from Kiss My Face (a natural brand I got at the health food co-op where I work) and I love it!

It is light, has AHAs, absorbes quickly and the scent I got was peaches and cream (I think the make an unscented too and some other scents)! Yumm! It makes little ole forgetful me remember to moisturize because I enjoy it! I also love their shave cream.

It doesn't have parabens, chemicals or mineral oil and it has a lot of fruit extracts and plant oils (avocado, sunflower, etc). Also Aloe and shea butter.

I also like to use oil in the shower or bath in the winter cause lotion feels so cold sometimes! I want to try the baking soda next time.

amnis: Our pores are opened after the heat of a shower, and the oil can absorb more, i think. And maybe pure oils, having less ingredients hence less variety of particle sizes, can be assimilated easier into the skin, especially when the pores are open. I don't know if that makes sense, just typing out loud.

cheers
rina Smile
Ssue
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:38 am      Reply with quote
I like the Aveeno products with soy. It is very rich and creamy and absorbs well. For extra dry, itchy skin that I get in the winter skin (particularily my hands and legs), I use Aquaphor. It is rather greasy so I only use it at night until the dryness gets better. Hope that helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi hayleighs_mom,

I have a lotion bottle [the decorative kind you get at department stores] filled with soy oil on the side of the tub. I used the oil liberally to my legs before shaving ... same with my underarms. When my skin is feeling particularly dry, however, I also smooth the oil over my arms, shoulders/back etc.

When I get out of the shower, I pat myself dry and I don't need to put on moisturizer. The heat of the shower seems to open my pores enough that a good deal of the oil is absorbed into my skin ... and I don't feel oily afterwards, nor does the oil get on my clothes etc.

For your face, one of the best moisturizers I know of, besides jojoba oil, is Emu Oil. Just as I would with jojoba oil, after I spritz my face with my lavender or rose hydrosol, I take a drop of Emu Oil on my finger ... rub it onto my fingers and then onto my face. It doesn't clog pores and it's very soothing/healing.

I put a couple of drops on my neck, which is drier than my face [particularly since getting a skin reaction to Tide Cold Water! Crying or Very sad ] and it takes care of dry skin very nicely ... plus it doesn't cause me to break out. Emu Oil might seem pricey ... but it lasts and lasts, using as you do, only a drop or two.

My friend swears by Emu Oil for her husband's psoriasis as well.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt - I've been desperately trying to find soy oil over here (in the UK), but haven't been able to so far, after reading about it on here.

Please could you let me know where you get it? That might give me some better clues on where else to try.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |