Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SPF
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bic145
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Any one could suggest me how much SPF do I need in the skincare products? My doctor suggests me to wear a SPF 50 + all year around since I am quite concerning the brown spots on my cheek. However, I also read some article in the fashion magazine said that if SPF is more than 15, the product tends to be heavier and may cause acne. So I am not sure which one is right.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Hello bic145,

In Australia, the highest broad spectrum sunscreen available is SPF 30, which offers maximum protection against a harsh Aussie climate (we have a high incidence of skin cancer, mainly due to deliberate sun bathing). I have seen higher SPFs such as SPF 45, and SPF 60 made from other countries but I am not sure if these are any more effective than the standard SPF 30... I am guessing that the higher it is, the longer the time you can spend in the sun with fewer re-applications. Smile

My mum has sun spots, or pigmentation as it is also known, due to a few short periods of over-sun exposure WITHOUT the use of a sunscreen, but she has now since smartened up to using one after succumbing to my persistent nagging. :P She's not one to pay much attention to skincare and keeps her routine to an absolute minimum so it was a great feat to be able to get her into a good habit!Very Happy She's lucky that she's got a complexion of a 40 year old when she's 52!!
As for me, sunsreen is a MUST, and a great one to use is MD Formulations Total Age Protector 30 which goes over the top of your normal moisturiser and offers great protection. Since finding Phytomer, I have also found the Phytomer Ogenage Protective Cellular Anti-Aging Cream with SPF 30 is a fantastic and non-greasy and probably rates a little higher than MD Formulations SPF in my eyes. I only wish it came in a bigger size (it's only 50ml) Sad I have not found sunscreen to be pore-clogging, so long as you use those that are formulated for the face and not the heavier ones made for the body-- those would be too oily! If I was fair in skintone and more prone to burning, I would go for a higher SPF such as 30; SPF 15 is more ideal for those with medium to dark skin... I would probably use an SPF 15 if I was spending more time inside than outdoors...but having Asian skin which I would regard as medium with pink undertones rather than yellow, I've always opted for the higher protection anyway. I hope I can stave off brown spots for as long as possible!! :P

Hope this helps!

summertimegirl Very Happy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:33 am      Reply with quote
While I'm here... I'm interested to know which sunscreen everyone else is using. My tube of the Phytomer Protective Cellular is fast running out so I though I might ask for some recommendations! Wink
EDS doesn't stock this one so if there is one that you've found is good and can be purchased at EDS, I'd love to know!

Thanx! Very Happy
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Hey Bic145,

I have had a serious melanoma, quite deep & large. Sad After a lot of reading, listening and trying, I have ended up with faithfully using: Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30. It blocks the skin vs. screen. (It has zinc oxide, the white cream that lifeguards wear that is soooo ugly but works wonders). I have been told and read that after a certain rating, such as 45, it isn't anymore effective. Weather that is true or not-who knows.Smile I make sure I wear my 30 and I always "dot" my freckles/moles/beauty marks! HTH

Babs
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Hello Barbara,

I'm answering your post because I was thinking of getting the Skinceuticals sunscreen with my next order from EDS. So, I am wondering how you like it and whether or not it leaves a whitish cast on the skin (like most do that contain zinc oxide.)

Also, just like you, I heard or read that any sunscreen past SPF 30 was not any more protective and could possibly cause sking irritations. I also heard that the best sunscreens contain both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide for broad spectrum protection from both UVA/UVB rays. Does the Skinceuticals contain both of these ingredients?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

P.S. We got part of your snowstorm here in Montreal, but only received 7 centemetres. Good! I'm not ready for snow yet!
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere about a lady talking about an article that she read in last summer's Vogue stating that sunscreens made in the US are quite useless because it breaks down in the sun(not photostable). A lot of people don't realize that it must be reapplied every 2 hours to be effective. The french market has come out with an ingredient called tinosorb which is not supposed to break down in the sun and is effective.
bic145
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Woo,
thanks everyone for your useful information.
Well, summertimegirl, the sunscreen I am using right now doen't come from EDS. I am using the Lancome UV protector SPF 50++ that is sold in Asian. This product is from the Lancome's whitening line. I find it works very well and oil feel so that I also use it as the makeup base. I am not sure where you can buy in Australia. The only place in Canada sells this product is the Vancouver airport duty free shop (as I know). And it's much cheaper than buying in Asian.

Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Nope...it absorbs into your skin beautifully. I don't feel greased up nor do I feel like I don't want to put moisturizer on. That is the beauty of it, with zinc oxide most products (that I have tried) did leave the white film, skins didn't. (I also use 3 other products from skin's, vit a+e, B5gel &intensive line defense.) I have turned my dad and kids onto this line too. In an issue of INSTYLE they recommended this particular product as "a 1st choice". I am sorry it takes me so long to reply, I just found the option to receive notification of replies:( Sad.Sorry!!!

Babs
Mabsy

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Barbara,

Have you heard of Megan Gale Invisible Zinc? I'm not sure if it was launched overseas as well or not, it is fairly new here. I believe it contains 154mg of zinc oxide per gram of the product. From what I read it's white and turns clear as you apply it to your skin. I don't really know if it's any sort of big breakthrough (I usually use sunscreens with TD in them) but based on reading some preliminary user reviews I gather it is quite good.

Mabsy
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:26 am      Reply with quote
May I jump in on this sunscreen discussion?

I've been a little wary of sunscreens ever since I read that they don't stop you from absorbing the sun's radiation--they only prevent your skin's painful, red reaction. So if you use sunscreen to stay at the beach longer, for example, you have merely disabled your body's warning system and that can be dangerous. Mad

Has anyone else heard this?
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Well after having the melanoma, I don't willing go out in the sun. If I do, I go out with block vs screen. I have been on cruises, asking my MD beforehand and I always got his approval with "don't forget your block". I haven't heard the point you have mentioned but will ask on my next appt which is in approx 120 days. I hope you are very wrong:(....wouldn't it be nice to be wrong this time!Wink Thanks for the heads up!
Babs
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Hello Alohagirl,

Yes, I have heard this too. Because of what I heard I do not go in the sun at all!! I do wear sunscreen but have such a mistrust in the ingredients that I feel, right now, that the best prevention is staying out of the sun. If I have to be in it I wear a hat and sunglasses and have more faith in that than in the sunscreen I'm wearing.
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I think the key is sun avoidance first, if you must be in the sun - use protective wear(sunglasses,hats,long sleeves, etc); next use sunscreen although it's not as effective as people are misled to believe - basically for the reasons I stated earlier - ingredients are not photostable - and breakdown in the sun quickly. Exposed areas with sunscreen need to be reapplied every 2 hours. It's still better than nothing, but don't feel a false sense of security with applying it.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:35 am      Reply with quote
I agree that some U.S. sunscreens don't work. On several occasions, I've gotten a painful sunburn after liberally applying sunscreen and spending less than two hours outside. In one instance, a brand purchased at a resort's pool desk was worse than if I had used nothing at all! Mad

After moving to Hawaii, my husband and I experimented with several brands, putting one on the left side of the body, and a different one on the right. The differences were quite obvious. Coppertone Sport spf 30 lotion was the clear winner. (An inexpensive U.S. brand)

I'm sure that wearing zinc oxide, hat, sleeves and trousers would be the healthiest choice. But if that's not possible, and you must spend time in the sun (a sporting event, for example) one application of this product will last all day.Cool
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Wow that is amazing! Thank you for great information. I have a question...is sunscreen like skin care products, works for one but not another? About the Coopertone, is it a block or screen? I re-apply a screen every hour, block every 2 hours. I haven't had a sunburn in awhile, actually since using the Skinceuticals product. I have a few new questions for the derma doc...Wink Thank you for your info alohagirl....btw we are heading your way in September. Our cousin is getting married "on the big island" and we are attending. I haven't a clue what the "big island"is or where or why they call it that but when I start my research I will learn~ I am sure of that!Very Happy
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Barbara,

Each island has a nickname. Maui is the Valley Isle, Kauai is the Garden Isle. The "Big Island" is called that because it's the biggest one, and also because it's real name is "Hawaii". Because the whole state is also called "Hawaii" it gets confusing. That's why people always say "The Big Island."

Now, on to your sunscreen questions:

1) The Coppertone product I mentioned is a sunscreen, not a sunblock. It's a greaseless lotion-- white in the tube, clear on the skin.

2) I'm sure every product works better for some people than for others. This product, however, has proven itself in my circle of friends. We all vacation on the Colorado River in Arizona. We go out on the river early in the morning, set up our chairs on a sandbar, and don't come in until late afternoon. (Much of this time is spent submerged up to our chins in the river to escape the desert heat.) Everyone applies the Coppertone Sport 30 first thing in the morning. No one reapplies unless they find an area turning red and realize they missed a spot. Surprised

At the end of the day, you can always spot the person who didn't use this brand. OUCH!

One of my friends had a dangerous encounter with Melanoma a few years back. She wears special clothing out there and sits under an umbrella. I'm no fool--I sit with her! Cool
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi Alhoagirl,

Thank you for your response! The coopertone (sport) sounds like a definate this spring/summer when having anytime outdoor activity.(If I go out in the car for any length of time, 10 minutes, I put extra on my arms.) Thanks again for information. Although I swear by the skins product and won't be without it, I always have a back up.I also worry about sending my kids swimming anywhere without me because of "you need to reapply...don't forget...". Maybe we just found our savior.

We just recieved our "save this date info" for the wedding. (It is a surf board with the information, really cute.) The wedding/reception is being held at the "Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort". Every been there, heard of it?

Thank you very much again for all of your information. It sounds like you understand how frightening the sun can be. People don't realize they need to protect their scalp and bottoms of their feet too. It's so scary. (How is your friend w/melanoma doing?)

Barbara
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Alohagirl! Very Happy

I'm so happy you decided to join this forum, you along with all the other girls have a wealth of information-- honestly I learn something new each time I log on!!
It thought it was great the way you and your hubby experimented with different sunscreens to find the best one- and I loved the idea of laying submerged underwater up to your chin on a sandbar sounds like a pretty cool party!! I do that too with my chair on the beach, but just not up to my chin, I like reading a book while the rest of me is in the cool. Wink

I think getting some sun is beneficial as we need vitamin D-- I found this out when my boyfriend broke his leg recently and was advised by the doctor to get some sun-- at least 15 mins of it-- to help with the healing process (Vitamin D is meant to aid in the absorption of calcium, helping to "knit" his broken bones together).
Generally, getting some sun perks me up a bit more and I admit I'm happier when I've been out in the sunshine than being kooked up inside when it rains for ages.....so I don't altogether avoid the sun but baking in it is a different story!!
I agree with you that the sun breaks down our body's natural protective mechanisms. The way I look at it, skin is so delicate, and although it does regenerate, there is little repair to sun damaged skin. I keep checking my boyfriend's mole on his back to see if it has changed shape or colour as well as pack on extra block on it whenever we're at the beach!! I was sad to hear that our Barbara has had a melanoma -- Babs, I'm so thankful that you survived that painful ordeal and are able to educate us all the more from your experience.

I only ever spend 3 hours max at the beach (I don't go that often) and use a SPF 30 sunblock (a brand called Le Tan), I apply it on before I hit the beach-- I used to apply it AT the beach but found out the hard way that my skin has already started to burn before I've nestled into my little spot on the sand. The block is thick and waterproof, and I reapply no matter what after every dip in the surf. I have black hair and I always got a burnt scalp from not wearing a hat so a wide floppy one has become my beach accessory too. For everyday I use a SPF 30 sunscreen which goes on top of my moisturiser. I don't reapply the sunscreen as I work inside with little time spent outside the building (and it would be a mess on top of my makeup!)
Thanks Barbara for differentiating between a block and a screen!

It must be fantastic to live in Hawaii Alohagirl! Do you get constant warm temperatures all year round? Wouldn't be cool if you and Babs linked up in Hawaii!!! afterall it's a small world-- or small ISLAND?!! hehe!

Summertimegirl xx Smile
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara Portno
The wedding/reception is being held at the "Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort". Every been there, heard of it?

Oh, yes. I stayed there with my family twice. It's a fabulous resort, and one of the best in the Islands.

In your post, you mentioned sunburned feet. I know a guy who vacationed in Hawaii for a week and refused to apply sunscreen. He was too macho, you see. (Sunscreen is for sissy's.) Well, this macho guy burned terribly, and the tops of his feet got the worst of it. They swelled up like footballs, and he had to go to a doctor for anti-inflammatory drugs. When he got on the airplane to return home, he was barefoot because even sandals were too painful. The last I heard from him, a year had passed, and he still could not wear athletic shoes! Surprised

--Alohagirl Wink

P.S. The friend with melanoma has made a full recovery. She still enjoys oudoor pursuits, but covers up and gets her skin inspected twice a year.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:50 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by summertimegirl
I thought it was great the way you and your hubby experimented with different sunscreens to find the best one

--But we did look kind of silly walking around with sunburns on only half of our bodies!! Wink

And yes, it is nice to be able to live in Hawaii. The weather is warm all year round, and the lifestyle is very simple and relaxed.Cool
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Ouuuuuch...!!! SurprisedSurprised
I couldn't imagine a worse way of spending a holiday-- that guy would have been in sheer PAIN !!! Sad When you're burnt like that...besides the pain, I think the worse thing is not being able to SLEEP at night as it's so uncomfortable-- your skin feels like it's just burning up!!

In the dead heat of summer I have seen people walk around with their shirts off their backs all day with skin lit up like lobsters'!!! I think a lot of tourist from overseas, particularly backpackers assume the Aussie sun is mild like it is in the Northen hemisphere-- IT ISN'T !!! :P You only have to spend a good 15 minutes in the sun to feel a certain warmth build up on your skin on a clear day! For instance, when my friend holidays in Greece she says that you can literally spend a whole day sunbaking in the Greek Islands (with protection) but you wouldn't want to do that here as the sun is so damn strong and you could get sunstroke!!

Hehe!!.... Alohagirl, I did wonder how you managed to even out the other un-toasted halves of your bodies' when you went testing the Coppertone sunscreen! Very Happy

Summertimegirl Wink
SandyMc
5% products discount

Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:09 am      Reply with quote
It's absolutely not greasy in the least, isn't drying and I know I'm being protected. It's Avene Creme Gel SPF20. It hasn't caused any breakouts either. I'm so happy with it.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by SandyMc
It's absolutely not greasy in the least, isn't drying and I know I'm being protected. It's Avene Creme Gel SPF20. It hasn't caused any breakouts either. I'm so happy with it.

Hi SandyMc,

Thanks for your info... I'm now more interested in trying out sunblocks that have Tinosorb M in it. I just got back from a week's holiday at the coast and speaking of BREAK OUTS!!! yUCK
SurprisedSadSad the area from the corner of my lips down to my chin is all bumpy, can see a blackhead as well-- I'm only bumpy in this area thankfully!! I've come to learn that this is a case of congestion (from this forum) but apart from using a sunscreen which I thought was very heavy (UV Triplegard SPF 30+) I think it was a combination and a culmination of all things that one does on holidays-- not drinking enough water, drinking too much alcohol, eating copious amounts of prawns (I heard that eating a lot of seafood can cause you to break outs due to their iodine content), not cleansing properly on some nights, swimming in salt and chlorine pools....I had a great holiday but my skin is really now paying me back for it!!SadSad I am really in need of a bit of a detox kit, with lots of fruit and water!!!

Anyway, back to the sunscreen with Tinosorb M... I think Avene is sold in Australia but will have to check out the department stores/ chemists again. Do you know if the sunscreen comes in a higher SPF than SPF 20??

I did a Google search on Tinosorf M and learnt that it is a "new generation of extremely photostable, anti-UVA/UVB filter which combines the action of both chemical filters and mineral pigments. Minesol 60 by Roc is advertised as the "new high SPF sunblock and is meant to be excellent for people who suffer allergic reactions to during the first day of sun exposure, photosentivity or photodermatoses".

Summertimegirl Smile
SandyMc
5% products discount

Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Avene definitely has some higher SPFs. I think they have one that is SPF60, the only thing is, I've tried that one and it feels really heavy and thick to me. I wanted something that I could be happy with as far as consistency, protection, etc., so I had to go with the SPF20, I think it's the only creme gel. There's two sites that are good. I ordered mine from skin-care-4u.com. It was 29.00, which seems like a lot, but a little goes a long way. BeautyNet1.com also sells it, but they have an order min. of $30.00. Any more questions, feel free to ask. Take Care.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi SandyMC,

Thanks for the info again, I'll check out our stores here in Australia first and see if they don't stock this brand, I'm quite sure I have seen Avene advertised. The sunscreen I was using is so thick and so heavy, it wasn't good for my already clogged-up pores. I'd like to try a cream/ gel formula that has optimum protection.
Thanks again!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |