Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

advice for dry/oily/acne prone
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dori
5% products discount

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all
I'm new to this but have been browsing this site for a whilw. I know this has probably been asked zillion times before but here goes..

I have oily but dehydrated skin, also verey acne prone. My horrible history with acne involved being on medication for it. Now i find the only thing that works to prevent breakouts are the clearasil face wipes containing salicyclic acid. Unfortunately that has left me with very dry skin and large pores. I have tried Neostrata containing AHA products but find it gives me a lot of white heads.

Now I know a lot of you love Dr H and MD formulations, but I would still like more opinions

Looking forward to hearing you you all soon Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:40 am      Reply with quote
Dori I used to have the exact same skin type as you and still would if I didn't follow the regime I'm on now.
First of all you really need to treat your skin from the inside out, I swear by a good B Complex, Zinc and Vitamin A. This combination vertually cleared my skin.
Drink lots of water and green tea and cut down the alcohol and sugar. I'm sure you know already about healthy eating Very Happy

As for skincare, I started off by using the Dr Hauschka starter tin for oil skin and loved the whole Dr Hauschka Regime, I have also discovered other substitutes that have worked well. The following have given me fantastic results:

Cleansing:
*Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream - This advocates a 'Press and Roll' method that does not irritate the skin, yet deep cleans, I saw lovely results using this, it really calmed my skin (you do need a seperate make-up remover with this, I find that Jojoba Oil on a damp cotton wool ball does a good job).
*Homemade version of Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream, here is the thread containing the recipe:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=0

Toning
A toner is a must for us oilies, it closes up any pores and conditions the skin.

*Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar Toner (see above recipe thread)
*Dr Hauschka Clarifying Toner - Nice but I found much cheaper alternatives.
*Witch Hazel
*Witch Hazel mixed with Rose Water

Moisturising

*Dr Hauschka Normalising Day Oil - with any oil now I have noticed extremely good results, my skin just glows with health now, I used to get oily mid day outbreaks using normal moisturisers.
*Grapeseed Oil - I like to mix some Geranium essential Oil or Lavender Oil with this. You don't have to, I just like the scent and the essential oils treat my skin too. Ylang Ylang is also good.
*Jojoba Oil - I like this for when my skin is being especially oily (you can also mix the Grapeseed and Jojoba together.
*Decleor Ylang Ylang or Neroli Aromessence - Pure luxury, though not strong enough on their own.

Acne Treatments
For me if I suffer flareups:
*Lavender Essential Oil - I apply neat to the effected area
*Extremly stubborn cystic acne, you know those awful under the skin huge ones you can't see but hurt like mad - Tea Tree Oil.

Scar Treatment and Mask
*Dr Hauschka Rejuvenating Face Mask - This I use overnight sometimes to treat my skin and it softens any post acne scaring.
*Dermalogica Multi Vitamin Power Recovery Mask - this is a wonderful mask for our type of skin, quite similar to the Dr H Rejuvenating.

As for clay masks, I find they do dry my skin out a little.

I hope I've given you a nice little starting point and lots of options to play around with
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:40 am      Reply with quote
From personal experience I can recommend the IS Clinical line, especially Proheal Serum and Active Serum followed by Hydracool Serum. This will clear your acne, prevent it returning and moisturise your skin. I can also recommend the Amino Genesis line as all of these products will prevent acne and moisturise your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Hello bushy,
Rosebud may many wonderful suggestions for your skin type. Especially, Dr H CC or the homemade version. It definately helps with large pores by making them cleaner. I also love the homemade version of Decleor's Ylang Ylang Oil. I used Jojoba instead of Hazel Nut oil and it is amazing at mattifying my skin. I can't even use it every day because it might dry it out. You should also try Decleor's essential balm, it decongest the skin and its not oily.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:02 am      Reply with quote
hi wildcat.... your oily/dehydrated skin is the result of using harsh products that contain alchohol or salyic acid (which those cleansing pads your using contain). I had found the same results after using those Oxy pads.

I would suggest to get rid of those cleansing pads.... have u been to a dermatologist? i used to have bad acne as a teen and have seen a dermatologist and he gave me a prescription of clynoxal gel. This cream is used for treating acne, and you put it on your face before you go to sleep, and it realy helps! It does not cause dryness at all.

As for cleansers, Dr. H CC is a good one if u suffer from minor acne...but i didnt really find it to clear up my skin.

Your best bet is to probably use a gentle non-drying cleanser that dont contain oils to cause acne. There are inexpensive ones such as Cetephil, or spectrogel.
If u want something not from the drugstore theres Dermalogica cleansers or Dr. H.
After cleansing its a good idea to use a toner. Remember not to pick a toner that contain alchohol since this will dry out the skin again. I hear toner from Dr. H is a good one.

But i think the most important thing is the presciption acne cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Haha...I am not the original poster...hehe

I do agree with your suggestion though. I love cetaphil and I use Dr. H CC after it.

5% products discount

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I have already chucked away those clearasil wipes and ready for new and better skin. Thanks again

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |