Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Stockings?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I posted in the Skin Care forum about trying to get an "Audrey Hepburn" look for a Christmas Party on Friday. So far, we have a black silk dress - strapless and to the knee - with black peau de soi pumps and black opera gloves. Hair in a simple twist. Dark on the eye liner and lashes, and light on the lips.

(I'm remaining optimistic that we can still attend... see the other post.)

Now we're at the stockings. Something about this look is screaming for those stockings with the black line up the back, but I have always considered them to be TRASHY (as well as a pain in the tuckus since you need to keep the lines straight... Rolling Eyes ). Thoughts on these old "classic" stockings ??????

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:41 am      Reply with quote
LandB wrote:
Now we're at the stockings. Something about this look is screaming for those stockings with the black line up the back, but I have always considered them to be TRASHY (as well as a pain in the tuckus since you need to keep the lines straight... Rolling Eyes ). Thoughts on these old "classic" stockings ??????
I think you hit the nail on the head: provided that the rest of your look is "classy," then those stockings with the black seam up the back are going to look classy right along with them.

But if you're wearing a bustier, a black vinyl micro-mini and "FM" stilettoes, with makeup caked on like your trying to be Pam Anderson a la her "Barbed Wire" promo at Cannes a few years back, then you're going to look skanky no matter what kind of stockings you choose to wear....

Audrey Hepburn would NOT look like a skank wearing your dress with those tasteful black-seam stockings!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Hello LandB,
I don't think the old fashion stocking would look trashy at all. I am actually going to do a similar look for my christmas party but I am relucant to wear stocking. I just don't think I can pull it off since I am eastern asian. Any suggestions?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
WildCat - tell us more! I love to put together "looks!"

As far as your heritage, I'm seeing beautiful hair and beautiful eyes, so as far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you want and still look STUNNING! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Haha LandB,
I planned almost too much for this coming christmas party. In preparation for this party, I am getting manicure and pedicure the day before. I even made appointment with my hairstylist to set rollers to give me big cascading curls. Embarassed

Three hours before I will do SK-II's treatment essence mask and leave it on for thirty minutes to make my skin super subtle and glow like a lightblub on its own. I will also use Vermont's Renewing Pack as the moisturizer Bad Grin even more extra glowing skin Bad Grin

I will be wearing a black haulter dress barely pass the knee. Even though its a haulter, the design is form fitting but does not show any clevege (which I think is classy).

I will be wearing a blk snake-skin open-toe pump with 3 and half inch heel I just ordered yesterday from zappo.com. I hope it will arrive in time if not I will be wearing a nude colour sandle with heels also. It might be cold though Mad

Make-up wise, I think I will go for the dramatic eyes with thicker than normal blk eyeliner and blk mascura (two coats of thickening mascura and one more coat of mini-discovery). I still haven't decide what colour of eye shadow I will be using. Maybe silver/grey to look festive. Then I will go for a pretty neutral sligtly red lip colour. Also, Rimmel's Santa Rose blush (similar to Nars Orgasm).

About stocking, I really don't like them. I was thinking about air-brush tan from SallyHenson but I don't think a tan look is very Audrey Hephurn. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Definitely not trashy! I think they'd add a lot to your look -- I say go for it.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:14 am      Reply with quote
WildCat - I think that with open-toed shoes, no hose is the way to go. As long as the Sally Hansen doesn't add too much "tan" color or "glitter," you'll be fine. Depending on your skin tone, you might not even need it - just a nice lotion to add sheen.

How exciting that you're having your hair done. I'm trying to do mine myself and getting a bit stressed by it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:25 am      Reply with quote
NOooooooooooooooooo Mad
I found out from my partner last night that the christmas party is going to have 70's theme....
Completely throw my plan off......I have no idea what I am going to wear now....gosh...
Any idea on 70's clothing that look sexy but elegent?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Wildcat -

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long do we have to deal with this??????????????

Maybe you should start another post so you don't get lost in mine.

Okay, deep breath...

Michele's Pfeiffer's character in Scarface (w/ Al Pacino) was very 70's sexy/elegant. And as I recall, she wore halter dresses. Just google Scarface and pix should come up...

SO, perhaps we can go with the halter dress you already have, and add sexy wedge sandles to the mix. Then you could add a long skinny scarf around the neck - I'm seeing a Pucci-inspired, psychadelic print - with chandeleir earrings.

If you're brave, you could part your hair in the center and leave it long and poker straight.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks LandB,
I think I need to rent Scarface to watch it again. I don't remember much of the clothing....

All I can think about 70s are those jumpsuits, and crazy patterns, platform shoes, omg.......I am going to look hedious Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Try to click on these:
www.imdb.com/name/nm0000201/photogallery-ss-60
www.imdb.com/name/nm0000201/photogallery-ss-72

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you LandB,
I serf online and got some ideas of 70s fashion. But, I am still pretty cueless about what I am going to do. From what michelle pfeiffer was wearing in the scarface, I can wear something with thin spagetti strips, thats low and shows a lot of clevage.

I don't know if I can make my hair look "featherish" without cuting my hair...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Eeh gads ... don't even joke about cutting your hair for a theme party! Laughing

Depending on your hairstyle, I still think a center part is a sure fire way to look 1970's. In fact, I've never seen a center part that didn't look at least a little retro. Jennifer Aniston was doing it for a while and it was her worst period, IMO.

Anyway, I feel your stress. It's 3:29am my time and I can't sleep. Party is tonight and:

1. My opera gloves did not arrive despite paying for expedited delivery,

2. I've lost some weight and, because the chest is the first to go, my strapless dress is holding up precariously,

3. I had to steal a Christmas present to wear instead of the gloves (a sheer black vintage shawl),

4. The layers in my hair are a smidge too short to wear my hair in a twist without MUCH effort, many pins, and TONS of spray,

5. We have to work today, leaving scant time to get ready before the party, and

6. We're supposed to get 10" of snow and my plow guy hasn't confirmed that he's working with me again this season.

I'm trying to be happy, though, because we are blessed to have the chance to go in the first place. My boyfriend's mother is ill, but there's been no change in status this week so far.

EEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brick wall

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:09 am      Reply with quote
LandB wrote:
WildCat - I think that with open-toed shoes, no hose is the way to go. As long as the Sally Hansen doesn't add too much "tan" color or "glitter," you'll be fine. Depending on your skin tone, you might not even need it - just a nice lotion to add sheen.
FYI - the Sally Hansen Airbrush Stockings stuff does NOT have any shimmer or glitter to it. Just make sure you don't have any rough spots on your legs, or else the color will "grab" in that spot too much. Here's some more info on the "spray on stockings" type of products: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1493&highlight=air+stockings

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Thanks carekate on that useful link Smile

LandB,
Reading about your troubles make me feel like my isn't as bad Embarassed

Be happy and have great fun tonight.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Well, the angels aligned or something because the evening was spectacular!

The blizzard stopped at 3pm.
The plow guy showed up.
We got out of work an hour early.
I fit in a 1 hour power nap.
The dress didn't fall down.
I didn't miss the gloves.
My eye makeup came out eerily perfect.
I left my hair down and just let it flow in big waves - no bobby pins for me...
My date was as gracious as ever.
The food was great.
The company was entertaining.
And the music was fun.

Thank God it's over!

Good luck with your adventure Wildcat!

5% products discount

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I'm really intrigued by these "air stockings" or Nyce legs. I am a redhead with very fair skin and have to work hard with self-tanners to feel comfortable in shorts, etc. I'm looking for advice about choosing a shade of one of these products......I like to look just a bit "tanned", but only slightly so it doesn't look unnatural. Recommendations? Rolling Eyes
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
as someone with a bit of a stocking fetish, I think seamed stockings are really cool, but, BUT, you want to get proper fully fashioned ones made out of nylon. Also a good garter belt is very helpful. I think 6 straps are the best. I have got some beautiful stockings from this place!

http://girdlebound.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GVG&Category_Code=ccgb

They do really fab corsetry as well Very Happy

re: peeptoe shoes. If the stockings are good then I don't think it matters. If you look at old photos, lots of women wore them together in the 40s Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:51 am      Reply with quote
I wear stockings with peeptoe shoes all the time. just make sure you hide the seam and make sure they aren't sandalfoot!!!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |