Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Any hope for keloids and dents?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Apart from surgery, that is.

I have old acne scars that I got from squeezing the darn things some twenty years ago and I went for a series of microdermabrasion treatments (I was told it'll help get rid of them) but they're still here.

I don't have keloids but I know someone who does, and she got them from a couple of stitches from an accident.

We're both wondering if there's anything topical that'll help at all. I've heard that rosehip seed oil (like Kosmea) can do wonders for scars like these, but I've tried it but it didn't seem to have made any difference (aside from better moisturised skin).

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
Mederma is a gel used to treat scars. I believe it's available OTC (my husband used it after some minor surgery and the incision is now invisible). It can facilitate healing and eliminate the redness of fresh scars, and supposedly works on old scars and even stretch marks, given some time and persistent use. So, it seems that it would be good for raised scar tissue, but I'm not sure if it can do as much for pitted scarring, although it would probably smooth the borders. Injectible fillers like Zyderm Collagen or Restylane can temporarily raise depressed areas.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I am also looking for something to treat old acne scars (mostly keloids). I hate scar tissue (or too much of it, that is) Mad .

pumpingmummy-
have you heard anything about "Bio-Oil"? (http://www.bio-oil.info). I was looking into it and am contemplating trying it.

I tried using Mederma but I really didn't notice a significant enough change. Of course I wasn't consistent but I used it a lot. I guess it takes a huge committment if you really want to see effective results...

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:41 am      Reply with quote
There used to be a lot of talk about copper peptides helping rebuild the skin from scarring indentations. I don't hear that much about it anymore though? Has it worked for others?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Keloids eh? those fat pimple like things? and they indent? I have a couple of them on my back, not sure where I got them from. Anyways..my derm wants me to get some cortisone injections and rub aldera on them. I'm scheduled for next month. She said there were no natural cures, so I have not even looked. Hey fairlyfair Smile. long time no see.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:52 am      Reply with quote
i am seeing light at the end of the tunnel for my dents which are very old scars from past cystic acne breakouts. The stuff i am using are Silkia camellia oil and Epidermx home micromdermabrasion cream from goldportbeauty.com. Been using them since july, and i swear that my indents are about half raised so far. My indents were quite deep to begin with. I believe with a couple more months the change will be quite big and i am keeping my fingers crossed. Dunno if they help with raised scars or keloids. I think you need prescription AHA products for keloids.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I have many scars and keloids from surgery and have tried just about everything. The Mederma is just OK. Silicone products do help healing and bumpiness but are expensive and need to be used for a long time.

I am trying Super Cop now for a bumpy scar on my eyelid (for about three weeks) It is too early to tell whether it will make the scar much less visible but it has slightly reduced the bumpiness. One problem though is that I just got some redness and may have become sensitized to it.

I will also try glycolic acid for the keloid on my belly. I haven't used it yet it was just suggested. Glycolic peels on my face have evened color and removed some reddish spots. Good luck.
s70princess
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Melasmaisew wrote:
Keloids eh? those fat pimple like things? and they indent? I have a couple of them on my back, not sure where I got them from. Anyways..my derm wants me to get some cortisone injections and rub aldera on them. I'm scheduled for next month. She said there were no natural cures, so I have not even looked. Hey fairlyfair Smile. long time no see.

Melasmaisew, if you see this, I am wondering if you have an update on how the cortisone injection treatment is working for your keloids? I also have keloids on my back (several very large ones!) and they have tormented me since my teens ... I am too self conscious to wear anything that can show my back or even shoulders, and I really dislike them. I remember I tried getting a shot in them once or twice, but the pain was exruciating that I could not bare. If you have had luck, then I may consider trying it again with a numbing agent first though.
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:37 am      Reply with quote
I had an enormous keloid on my collarbone which was due to having a skintag removed (it was right where my seatbelt hit and it was so annoying. the keloid was more annoying Sad )

It was very itchy, not to mention ugly. I went to a different derm than the one who'd removed the skin tag, who gave me cortisone injections. I don't recall if they made it shrink, but it did help with the itchyness.

I also bought some silicone sheets which supposedly help shrink scars. I used those for quite a long time.

It is very shrunken now. It really shrunk after I had my first child. Honestly, I don't know if what shrunk it the most was simply time past the formation of it or the pregnancy hormones.

good luck to your friend, I know how annoying and frustrating it is to have a keloid.
Jennifer
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
My derm recommended having a deep spot peel done in his office just on a raised keloided old acne scar that I got from having cortisone injected into a cyst 24 yrs. ago. He says peels are about the only way to treat a raised scar other than removal, but he said removal can leave a stitch if it doesn't heal right. Also then microderms can help smooth it down, although I have had about 7-8, and they only slightly reduced it.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:23 am      Reply with quote
i had injections a long time a go for my keloids (dont know what kind of injections they are. did not care at the time. was only about 12 years old). it worked. and my keloids are gone now
redgirl

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi

This is cautionary tale about keloids.(at 40 yo) I had
a "keloid" on my upper arm for about 5 years.
It grew very slowly. Then seemed to get darker
in the sun. Concerned about skin CA, showed it
to my primary MD -assured me it was a keloid.
Ignored it some more. At the next year's physical told the MD that I would like to
get it removed. She said it was up to me.
("it was just a keloid")-<1/4 inch big. Surgeon concurred.
I insisted. Had it done in a diagnostic room in a hospital. Surgeon said looked like
inflammed fat. Well came back as dermatofibro
sarcoma protubens- A very rare slow growing locally invasive cancer. It was in the part of
my arm that I had gotten a hepatitis B series in a few years earlier.20% of cases are vaccination related. ( I worked in a hospital) - since it is rare not many doctors
recognize it. The mayor of Boston had it on his back at the same time.
I then had to go for a wide excision of my
upper arm since it spreads with tentacles and wherever the
the first surgeons blade touched would need
to be removed. I went to a surgeon at
Dana Farber who is experienced with it .( Mohr's surgery was an option too but less data on ) And they have a world-renowed pathology dept. I
was lucky -
Please be very careful with "keloids"
Be your own advocate.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |