Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

70s Make-Up
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,
I am going to a christmas theme party this year. I am very puzzled about what kind of make-up looks 70s...Any make-up rules and tricks that are definately 70s?

Confused

p.s. I will probabaly wear a blk or red dress. So, I think most make-up colours would go with the dress.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat, here's what I found on google:

"The 70's are back, both reformed for the 90's and in the masses of 70's theme parties.
Here is a guide to the makeup you need to recreate that 70's hip look. A first step is to raid the makeup bag of anyone who was young and happening at that time, or come and see us at Minifies. Here is what to look out for.
Girls - light coloured frosted lipsticks, orange L5 lipsticks (orange minilipstick $2.95, large $14.95 - also available in silver, gold, silver glitter, gold glitter, multi glitter and many other colours), dark charcoal eyeshadow, or frosted blue, or green eyeshadow. (We have a large colour range at $14.95 or you can use satin powders. These are fine, shimmering powders that can be used on eyes, lips, or as a face/body powder. Available in red, black, blue, green, silver, gold and cost $11.95.) For that really glam look matching coloured eyelashes (blue, green, red $9.95, gold glitter, silver glitter, blue glitter $10.95). The hippie look is still in in the 70's. Long hair parted in the middle, bobs that curl up the the ends or at the front, teased hair (Wigs from $17.95).

For the Guys, side burns and big hair Jimmy Hendrics style or long swished back hair Abba style. Open necked shirts with medallion and chest hair. Yes chest hair was sexy ( extra chest hair can be simulated by glueing on crepe hair with spirit gum. Crepe hair comes in 12 colours $4.50 ft or $9.95 metre). Moustaches were also in ( we have a wide range of mo's from $3.95 - $39.95). So have fun. "

Have a great time at the party Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks rosebud,
those were very useful info...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I was there in the '70s, and it just doesn't seem to want to go away Laughing I think that decade's influence on beauty and fashion has become enduringly classic, in a sense. It's referenced year after year -- people seem to like it better than the '60s mod or Carnaby Street looks, or revivals of the '20s, '30s, '40s and '50s. I just hope the '80s look doesn't catch on again -- I refuse to wear big hair, shoulder pads and stirrup pants again.

Anyway, for the '70s think "rich hippie", bohemian or disco. Remember in Saturday Night Fever when the dj said, "I love your polyester look"? Dresses were often silky (polyester) with floaty sleeves. Some dresses had a blouson effect. As LandB said, bold prints were also popular (again, polyester). But your halter dress will work! I wish I still had some of my old clothes and shoes -- I had platforms to die for! Dolman sleeves were trendy then, and the silhouette was generally small on top and flared on the bottom (not unlike today) -- does anyone remember elephant bells???

As far as makeup goes, I wore false eyelashes (upper AND lower), dark eyeshadow in the crease, lighter on the lids, lightest on the browbone, plucked brows, and as rosebud suggested, pale frosted lip color. I kept my hair long, straight and parted in the middle, but Farrah Fawcett-type waves were also ubiquitous.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:39 am      Reply with quote
m.april - so with you on the 80's! BAD TIME FOR FASHION. I'm seeing a minor return to pleated slacks that fit that the waist (not at the hips) and that taper at the ankle. If these slacks make a full-blown return, I'll be wearing skirts until the fad is over again. You could have the flattest stomach in the world and still look bloated. Eeh gads - NOT FLATTERING. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions...
I think I will be able to pull everything together and pray I look 70s but still look sexy....
This is going to be hard Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Dear Wild Cat - Mark Jacobs, Anna Sui and Nanette Lepore are designers who channel the '70s over and over. Check out some of their looks to help you. And just remember, go heavy on the eye makeup. And use frosted shadows, blush and lip color.

If you don't have any clothes that are truly '70s, for evening you could accessorize with something like a sequined beret and long thin neck scarf, or a ribboned choker with a vintage pin at the throat. You may want to try eBay if you have trouble finding things to complete your look.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much m.april, those info really helped a lot. After surfing online armed with your info, now I think I know what 70s is like. I even remember some pieces I have that I can try to pull together with...thank you so much Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:48 am      Reply with quote
A lot of my wardrobe seems to harken back to the 70s...it's easier than you think. My favorite is the wrap dress! Very flattering and 70s! Definitely go with the light frosted lipstick too -- very sexy!
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:44 am      Reply with quote
what do you mean have you guys seen and madonna's new video. i LOve it the song is so disco! 70's are back!!!!!!!!!!!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat -

Please take a pic of yourself once you finish getting dolled up and post it so we can see how fab your look turned out!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |