Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

dermatology school?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
jamie630
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:42 am      Reply with quote
how long does it take to get through school for dermatology? is it the same for all physicians?

after being involved in the forum, i'm finally grasping how much skin really is an organ, itself, and how complicated it is. but it seems like the complexities are starting to be broken down and things are really starting to be figured out. chemists (and you guys of course) always seem to be the first ones to know about new products and new methods. every time i google a product mentioned in here, the EDS forum thread on whichever product it was is google's #1 result! when i read all about the amazing results most of you have had with the popular "rave" products, i can't help but feel like big things are going to happen with this stuff. unless i'm wrong and it's just not popular to the public because of the prices??

i'm thinking about going into pre-med at college for dermatology because of this damn forum. i'm always recommending things to my sister and cousin because they've had problems with their skin for a longer time than me and it's been much more of a nuisance for them. i just want to be able to use my knowledge to help. but the thing is, is that i've never been a science person Rolling Eyes so maybe this isn't the right path for me. it's annoying because i just find it all so interesting the way our bodies work! however, i've always been more into studying the arts. maybe i should sample a chemistry class next semester to see if i've miraculously become good at science!

i'm in my second year and literally just finished the fall semester today (WOO-HOO!). i'd really like to study abroad, so maybe i can take medical courses overseas and still be culturally exposed! this is so frustrating to decide because i want to learn so much about other cultures, beliefs, and music (hence the anthro major and music minor, but that could change in a week knowing me).

i mean.. i really like money.. who doesn't.. but the only thing i spend it on are skincare products! so when i'm a rich dermatologist, what in the world am i going to buy? perhaps a yacht. then i'll gather up all the US forum users and we'll sail over to the UK and have a big skincare party.. Cool bring your sunscreen!! (like i had to tell you)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Dermatology is a medical specialty. Rule of thumb, depending on how quickly you move thru school is something like your undegraduate work in pre med, then med school, then internship, then finally residency - an extended residency if you wish to specialize.

If that is too onerous for you, or if you can't afford it, there are certainly less challenging professions having to do with care of the skin.

Best of luck whatever you decide to pursue.
karmicarchitect
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Have you considered doing volunteer work in a medical setting? Your university probably has a pre-medical club of some sort, and it's a great place to talk with senior students and learn more about medicine -- they usually have speakers, info about volunteer opportunities, etc. The exposure to real-world medicine, in addition to your pre-med classes, will give you a little bit of an idea if medicine is right for you.

Right now dermatology is the hot field, and it's pretty competitive, so study hard! Take as many upper-level courses as you can handle (i.e., still get A's, lol) because it will make your first year much easier.

Also, be prepared to go from being the "smart one" in undergrad to being thrown into a class of other "smart ones" in med school: some students get disillusioned (and disheartened) when they discover that 99% of the class got an 'A' on an exam...the bell curve shifts, and maintaining an 'A' average can place you at the bottom of the class.

I highly recommend the book _Medical School: Getting In, Staying In, Staying Human_
ajax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
You could probably get an aesthetician's license pretty easily (and much less expensive)or go for a business license and market your own products!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
ajax wrote:
You could probably get an aesthetician's license pretty easily (and much less expensive)or go for a business license and market your own products!

I totally agree! Marcia Kilgore (of Bliss Spas and Remede Skin care fame) went this route, and she is wealthier than your average dermatologist.

To be a dermatologist, you'll have to give up a decade of your life to study/train... because the study of medicine is pretty intense, there won't be much time to do the cultural things/travel you're talking about, and medical students can have as much as $100,000 in debt when they finish.

Also, even if you work hard and get in and through medical school, there is no guarantee you'll get a into a dermatology program; since it's so competitive, you have to have top marks throughout school (which is very, very hard: like I mentioned in my previous post, you can't just get an 'A'...you have to get HIGH 'A's in every class AND the highest marks during your preceptorship and internship rotations -- you have to be better than everyone else, and medical students are pretty hard-core). Otherwise, you'll need to pick a different area of medicine.

Bottom line: if you're not interested in all aspects of medicine, consider a different route.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm considering going into something dealing with science as well...not to the extent of dermotology, but I as well find the way things work very interesting. I think that it is a bad thing to steer away from something simply because it may be a competitive field. I suppose this is because I live in south-eastern michigan, and if anyone has heard of the economy and way of things here currently, they know that unemployment is extremely high and the jobs are crap. Most of us are going to school, and many are going into things such as education which are completely soiled at this moment. I personally want to get a bachelors of science in dental hygiene and everyone says "Everyone wants to do that, don't go into it." But researching job growth can help you consider if it's a good idea...take some science classes to get a feel. Nothing in the world can be promised, so all you can do is follow your interest and passions and see where it takes you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
I'm considering going into something dealing with science as well...not to the extent of dermotology, but I as well find the way things work very interesting. I think that it is a bad thing to steer away from something simply because it may be a competitive field. I suppose this is because I live in south-eastern michigan, and if anyone has heard of the economy and way of things here currently, they know that unemployment is extremely high and the jobs are crap. Most of us are going to school, and many are going into things such as education which are completely soiled at this moment. I personally want to get a bachelors of science in dental hygiene and everyone says "Everyone wants to do that, don't go into it." But researching job growth can help you consider if it's a good idea...take some science classes to get a feel. Nothing in the world can be promised, so all you can do is follow your interest and passions and see where it takes you.

I can see where you're coming from, but I just want to add that at least in regards to medical education in the US (i.e., MD or DO degrees), there is tight control re: medical specialties, and most people who want to become doctors...don't.

I had to act as an advisor to some undergrads who wanted to become doctors. Unfortunately, most of them didn't fully comprehend the level of commitment or the amount of time and money required to become a doctor. Reality was a crushing blow to their dreams.

This is why I STRONGLY recommend that all people considering medicine should get involved with their school's premedical society and talk with senior students (even the ones that didn't get accepted). These organizations also invite representatives from various medical schools to come and speak, and the admissions staff are brutally frank with prospective students.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |