Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
43 year old skin care regime? Please help.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
babywatson

Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have a mismash of products that I use. I try to exfoliate every other day or so. My skin is dry in the winter but always prone to oiliness around the t-zone. I have a tendency also to milia, the bane of my existence. Not only around the eyes but nose, cheeks too. I hate them.

I am currently using a Clinique cleanser, a foaming face wash. I would like to apply moisturizer sometimes but don't always because I am afraid of exacerbating the milia problem. Sometimes I'll dot the Clinique eye gel for moisturizer around my eyes.

I've also started using a made-it-myself aspirin masque. Crushed aspirin, honey, and tea tree oil.

Can anyone improve on this? I really worry about blocked pores since I am prone to milia, but I really also need some moisturizer. Don't know what to do. My face gets itchy and dry sometimes, as I am in my forties. I'd be glad of any recommendations.

Cool
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
There is a DIY thread that have many recepits that you can try to use. For example, Oil Cleaning Method, Carekate's Dr. HCC, Ylang Ylang Oil.
You should definately check it out.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
You can start by dumping that Clinique stuff. With the sole exception of the eye cream, that stuff is a total disaster; for someone in their forties.... WORSE than a disaster.

Adopting a regimen depends on your skin type, what you want to achieve, and how much you're willing to spend. But, you'll get plenty of help from the users here....
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi BabyWatson,

I'm 53 ... and have been using the Oil Cleansing Method since late August ... it's cheap, it's effective and I find it luxurious!

I also use an aspirin mask. I generally melt the aspirin in lime juice and add sour cream or yoghurt [whichever I have on hand] and sometimes even French Green Clay! I use this just about every morning. I also use a clay mask about 3 evenings a week ... just because ... well ... because I think it helps. Laughing

I also use Carekate's Apple Cider Vinegar toner ... and as a moisturizer I use 1 - 2 drops of jojoba or emu oil, often with a drop of rosehip seed oil.

My skin isn't dry ... but was oily. The Oil Cleansing Method normalized my skin. By the sounds of things, your skin could do with some "equalizing" as well. If you have "dry" cheeks but an oily t-zone ... I would think that the Oil Cleansing Method would work for you ... but in your case you might want to use less of the castor oil as it can be drying.

The DIY thread, while extremely long, makes for interesting reading ... and Carekate's recipes are great!

I opt for very simple products ... most of 'em DIY because I've spent a lifetime discovering that regardless of price ... most commercial products don't work for me. My skin just doesn't like all those extra ingredients! Laughing

I have also switched to mineral makeup ... and that too has been a real boon to my skin. It stays put ... and it's very "skin friendly" ... doesn't clog pores ... doesn't permit bacteria to grow ... wonderful stuff!

There's lots of information on this site and others about all this stuff.

Hope some of this helps.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I completely agree with ditching the Clinque Cleanser I know the one you are using, the same cleanser really dried my skin out and I have oily skin!!!
The homemade Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream is very good, all the above suggestions are good, here is the link for the recipe thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981

Also Dr Hauschka Rose Day Cream and Avene moisturisers are recomended Very Happy

Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Is that the Avene that can be purchased at the drugstore?
Thanks, Joey
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
It's available at Boots. My MIL suffers from quite dry skin in the winter and yet still has oily patches, she has just started using one of the Avene moisturisers and it must be good as she has put her Dr Hauschka Rose Day Cream away for the summer Shock Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Babywatson
I am 43 too and have dry skin, yet prone to milia and spots if I moisturise too much.

Eversince I used MD Formulations cleanser and its Facial Creme - my skin has become more normalized, the milia is under control. I hardly have breakouts too.

You may also want to consider a scrub - Dr H is quite good.

I also use Skinceuticals' Intense Line Defence for my lines and milia.

HTH
Jenny
babywatson

Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
What is the oil cleansing method? You have to excuse me, this is all new to me and I'm not sure what you meant.

Mary
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi again BabyWatson,

The Oil Cleansing Method is detailed in many threads on this board and on the Internet in general, however, I'll try to give you an quick overview ... and a couple of EDS links ... so that you'll have some understanding before you do a google search for it.

It's often [in true Internet style] referred to as OCM.

Basically, it's a skin cleansing method incorporating vegetable oils. The basic concept is to take a mixture of Castor Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil [50/50] and use it for cleansing your skin. You massage the oil mixture onto your skin, which will whisk away all traces of makeup by the way, and using warm-to-hot water on a clean washcloth you not only remove all traces of the oil from your face, but it's astonishingly effective at removing blackheads or other "pore plugs".

Some people [like me] incorporate facial steaming with OCM but it's not necessary. The beauty of this system of cleansing is, in my opinion, the control one has over the mixture itself. Not only do you know exactly what's in the oil mixture, but you can adjust the number of oils and their concentrations so that you end up with the right oil mixture for your skin! What's more, it couldn't be less expensive and more luxurious!

Here is a thread from EDS that details the proceedure:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=68548&highlight=oil+cleansing+method#68548

And another variation ...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=73561&highlight=oil+cleansing+method#73561

Now ... let me say that when I first read about OCM I was not convinced ... but I was sufficiently interested to research further. The more I researched [through google searches etc] the more intrigued I became, until I finally tried it myself in late August of this year.

I have never looked back. I find the time it takes at night to be truly luxurious ... it's a very few minutes that I reserve just for me ... and I love the relaxing comfort of the facial massaging with the oils.

For me it solved the problem of blackheads, as well as spots from "congested" skin ... and it normalized my formerly oily skin so that it's as close to "normal" as it's been my entire life.

My skin is hydrated and looks better than it's ever looked before.

It is NOT, however, a "cure" ... it just minimizes skin problems for me. I have had the odd breakout using OCM ... but they are far less severe, and the spots go away much faster with this method than with any other ... at least for me.

Hopefully these links and my explanation will give you some information ... but don't hesitate to ask questions. There are enough of us here at EDS using this method, each in our own way, that we should be able to answer any of your questions.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Do you use OCM both day and night or only night time to remove your makeups?

Cheryl

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi MACrisis,

I use it both morning and evening ... but I do it slightly differently at night than in the AM.

I steam my face in the evening along with OCM ... and I massage longer. [What can I say ... I like it!] Laughing

In the morning, I massage for only a minute or so ... and then instead of steaming, I use the hot washcloth until it cools method of clearing off the oil.

I also use the aspirin mask in the AM ... so that my skin has a good, exfoliated base for my mineral makeup.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary, Just tried the OCM and my face feels soooo good. But I still have few questions:

1. My aesthetician told me, before cleaning my face, the correct step to remove my makeup or dirt on my face is: spread the makeup remover (oil) over my face, massage a little, tissue off, repeat the step until the tissue has no trace of any makeup. Then clean / massage my face. She said if I skipped the 1st step then I'm massaging the makeup /dirty into my pore. Should I do the same step with OCM?

2. Do I tissue off the oil before using hot steaming cloth?

3. After using hot cloth clean my face a couple of times, if I run my fingers over my face I do not feel the oil but if I press my finger against my face I feel a little be sticky. Is this normal or I should do the hot cloth more?

Thank you!!

Cheryl

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cheryl,

First of all I am not an aesthetician, and it rather depends upon what sort of makeup you're wearing.

I wear mineral makeup, which doesn't have the same propensity for clogging pores that traditional makeup has, but this is what I do.

I put a coating of oil on my face and massage a bit, then I wipe it off with a tissue/dry washcloth.

I then apply another "coating" of oil and massage for a few minutes, then steam my face for about 2 minutes. I'm just trying to get my pores open. [I steam using rose water, by the way. I don't know whether there's a benefit to this, except that it smells really nice! Laughing ]

I then massage my face more and it's at this point that any plugs [ie blackheads etc] tend to work themselves out.

I then take a warm to hot washcloth and place against my face until it begins to cool, then wipe the oil from my face. I repeat this two or three times until all oil residue is removed.

At this point I've never noticed whether or not my skin feels tacky or sticky. I immediately follow the oil removal with ACV toner.

The next step is to apply eye cream to the orbital bone ... and apply any spot treatments [either moisture to wrinkled areas or medication to any blemishes or would-be blemishes] ... and I finish off with a spritz of hydrosol and, depending upon my skin's "state" on any given day I may or may not include a drop of jojoba or emu oil with a drop of rose hip seed oil. The hydrosol helps to distribute this small amount over my face.

If I'm going to use a French green clay mask, then I do this before the "moisturize" stage but after my ACV toner stage.

I follow the removal of the mask with another application of ACV toner and then the moisturizing stage.

If I was able to use traditional makeup without having horrible breakouts, I'd probably be more inclined to follow your aesthetician's advice because of traditional makeup's pore clogging, bacteria growing properties. It would just be safer I would think.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Mary,

How long does your evening and morning ritual take?

I have to admit I am wary of putting oil on my face. Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I've heard some people say olive oil can make them breakout.

However, I am a true believer in the powers of castor oil. Frankly, I think castor oil finally helped me to be able to conceive my daughter after my laparotomy for endometriosis--but that's another story.

How much of each do you use? Do you mix it together in a bottle or just pour a bit of each into your hands?

So I think I've got this right--you massage it into your skin, follow up with a wet hot washcloth, and then use ACV to tone. Is that right?

I'm willing to try it, I mean I guess it can't hurt. I can't say the Clinique cleanser I'm using has performed any miracles.

thanks!

Mary
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

Goodness ... this almost seems like I'm having a conversation with myself! Laughing

Anyway ... my morning cleansing ritual [without makeup application] takes me about 3 minutes from start to finish.

If I use an aspirin mask, add 10 to 15 minutes ... but while the mask is drying/working, I'm doing other things ... like drinking my 2nd cup of coffee ... getting the breakfast for my puppies ... I've even been known to dust ... but don't let that get around! Laughing

My evening ritual takes about 7 to 10 minutes when I steam my face. I sometimes add a mask in the evening ... so there's another 15 minutes. [My husband usually goes to bed before me which gives me the time to do a mask! Laughing ]

I actually mix up the oils and put them in a lovely ceramic "lotion dispenser" that I got at Zellers for about $10. This makes it easier to use ... I just pump twice in my hand and that's generally enough for cleansing.

In the summer I found olive oil too heavy ... so I used a mix of grapeseed oil and castor oil ... about 50/50.

Now that the air in the house is drier, I have switched to a 25% grapeseed, 25% olive oil and 50% castor oil.

The actual oils you use are up to you. I also add a few drops of lavender essential oil and orange essential oil ... not because it's necessary but because it smells nice and just might help in a healing way.

I'm going to quote from the article I first read when beginning to use OCM. I think it's important that you understand the concept thoroughly. I was just like you ... I thought putting oil on my face was a disaster waiting to happen. However, it really is so miraculous ... and feels fabulous! And yes ... I always use Carekate's ACV toner after cleansing. I also use home crafted Vitamin C serum ... yada, yada, yada.

Quote:
Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

The Routine:
Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.

Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.

As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.

Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.

After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.

If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.

Good luck ... and feel free to PM me with any questions ... or keep posting here. I'll check back regularly.

Mary

5% products discount

Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm talking about Lush's Ultra Bland. This product seems to do what all of you are talking about. I've never used it myself but have been curious about it. Reading everyone's comments on the Oil Cleaning Method, Ultrablamd seems to be just that. I think it has peanut oil and is supposed to take off makeup really well. I have combo skin, prone to breakouts, so using an oil to clean my skin is kind of scary. But I am curious and may go out and try it. Has anyone out there used Ultra Bland by Lush?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi Manchita,

I've never used Lush's Ultra Bland. Frankly I can't see the point in purchasing a product when to do OCM in the way recommended requires ingredients that are probably far less expensive for a good deal more product.

One of the reasons I really like OCM is the control I have in selecting the oils that best suit me and my skin ... and the percentage of each that goes into the mix. I also like to know exactly what's in my cleansing oil mix because that way I have better control should one of those oils, or the percentage of those oils, bother my skin.

I looked up Ultra Bland, which isn't a "cleansing oil" but is a cream ... and spending $10+ for 1.5 ounces of, basically, peanut oil, rose water, beeswax and preservatives just doesn't make good economical sense to me.

What's more, I found that beeswax is a problem for me and my skin. Peanut oil might be good, but alone it doesn't have the cleansing properties of Castor Oil ... and I think Castor Oil is one of the things that really makes OCM work for those of us with problem, acne prone skin. It's only advertised as a means of removing makeup ... as opposed to an overall cleansing system.

You may find that Ultra Bland is just the ticket for you and your skin, but I'd certainly underscore the possibility of problems with the beeswax in it ... and the lack of Castor Oil.

Beeswax is an emulsifier and thickener. It changes oil from its liquid state into a more dense "cream" ... plus it enables the rosewater to be mixed with the peanut oil.

Also be aware that peanut oil could trigger any nut allergies that you might have. I also don't know how good or bad peanut oil might be for your skin. It's something I've never used for my skin.

Mary

5% products discount

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:53 am      Reply with quote
thank you mary,

very helpful. i am now going to read all entries on this ocm method because i am really intrigued. have been using gels and soaps most of my life and have been intrigued by oil as a cleansing method. Can one add essential oils to their batch, one to match their skin type/problem? I would most likely use tea tree oil or lavender.

Thanks again. Your feedback is great.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Mary

I went out to get the castor oil and grapeseed oil today. I already had the EVOO.

Gonna try it and see how it goes. Thanks for all your great posts. I copied them onto a word doc for future reference.

The Other Mary
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |