Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Yoga
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
kipyo
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi hi,
Can I know how it feels like after practicing Yoga Question
Any cons Question

Would really love to hear some comment Laughing

Happy Holidaaay & Merry Christmasss Very Happy
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:36 am      Reply with quote
In my experience, there are three basic "kinds" of yoga that you're likely to find available at a yoga studio. Others may know of different kinds. I say "kinds" of yoga because most (all?) are based on "Hatha yoga" except maybe for Bikram yoga. Bikram yoga is practiced in a heated room. I've experienced classes that get up to 112 degrees. It is very demanding, in my opinion, and does not provide me with the stress-relief and spiritual qualities of more traditional yoga. It can feel like yoga boot camp. Another kind is called Kripalu, which focuses on flexibility and spirituality. Classes leave you feeling physically refreshed and mentally restored. A third kind is called Ashtanga, which is a flow of pre-set postures practiced with minimal interruption. It is more like a "workout" than Kripalu, in my experience, but with the same physical and mental results.

I say all of this not to sound like a smarty pants, but to make sure that you get the kind of experience you need.

In general, a hatha-based yoga practice is by far one of the best things you can do for yourself, mind and body. I LOVE IT.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I don't know of any cons of practicing yoga (other than it being addictive!). But the pros list goes on & on. How you feel after doing yoga? Hrmmm....well, it gives you a lot of energy, but it's not nervous energy. I usually feel realy balanced & calm, but never tired. I am very aware of my body & often times feel as though I've just had a massage. I don't realize how much tension I am holding in my neck, shoulders & back until after I've released it doing yoga. And contrary to what some people think, it is a great form of exercise. It is more physically demanding than it looks. But it's not a shock to your body like running or so eother impact-form sof exercize.
If you are serious, contact a good yoga studio & ask if you can audit a couple of classes (usually for free) so you can se what it is like - sice you've never done it before. Most good yoga studios will welcome this. Also, don't worry about being self-concsious starting out. Everyone there will be absorbed in their own work. They won't be judging you. They most likely will be very helpful & encouraging.
Good luck!
Namasthe,
Darren
Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with both posts above and I really loved what pbsadhaka said about no one will judge you. That is so true! I get a bit self-conscience at the gym but I never been have when doing yoga. I have been doing ashtanga yoga and found that my shoulders are not so tight (I sit at a computer all day long) and my wrists are stronger (they used to be really weak). I feel free and happy when I leave yoga, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and chest.

I hope you decide to try it!

Namisday.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I took a yoga class over the summer and loved it. Not sure what kind it was, but even as a beginner I could keep up and feel the difference. I felt more flexible and stretched out after the classes and generally better during the week. It is a new year's resolution of mine to take another class soon!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Wow this sounds like what I need. I am constantly stressed out over work and general life circumstances (I'm a natural worry wart). I'm in a rural area though and no yoga classes near me. Anyone know a good beginners DVD?

-Cheri
ArtTeacher
5% products discount

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I used LivingYoga AM yoga/PM yoga for beginners. It was very easy to follow and not at all intimidating. I really liked it.
kipyo
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Really happy to get replies from you all.
I thought it would be quite tiring after the session but haha great to hear that it feels like after massage. I LOVE massage Very Happy

A silly question here, I heard some people said that after you stop practicing yoga for some time, you would gain weight / become plump. Is it true? I hope it is not.

Can't wait to sign up for the course hihi Very Happy

Christmas is round the corner yeah yeah
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
The AM/PM yoga tapes are great....also anything from the Himalayan Institute. Make sure your get an intro DVD though, because their series can get quite advanced - kriyas & pranayama - if you are starting out you'll want to keep it simple to start. Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:58 am      Reply with quote
kipyo wrote:
A silly question here, I heard some people said that after you stop practicing yoga for some time, you would gain weight / become plump. Is it true? I hope it is not.

NO NO NO. Not true. No basis for it. I've gone without yoga for unfortunately long periods with absolutely no such thing. In fact, I was amazed at how much muscle tone and flexibility I retained. These people probably NEED yoga for whatever makes them plump in the first place, like overeating from stress.

As for tapes vs. live classes, I would urge you to do some live classes before doing tapes so that you know the postures and get proper alignment to avoid muscle strain. Yoga instructors routinely assist students in getting proper alignment, which is also necessary to get the full benefits of yoga.

Namaste and Happy Holidays! Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:19 am      Reply with quote
I ordered the AM/PM dvd and also the stress reducing one from the same company. I can't wait to get them.

LandB, believe me when I say there is no way I could ever find a yoga class where I live. I'm in rural West Virginia so I'll simply have to rely on the DVD's. I'll be careful though!

I want to quit smoking after the new year so hopefully the yoga will help with that as well. I hope I'm not expecting too much from the yoga.

-Cheri
blissgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! The most significant thing I have gotten out of practicing yoga is getting to know myself better- My internal dialogue, fears, etc. I find it cheaper than therapy, and after a bit you might find your life ouside of yoga class starts to change, as that 'in the moment' awareness seeps into everything. I am a worry wart as well (though not as much anymore), and after a yoga session my boyfriend gets confused 'cause I am so mellow!

Also I love the physical health benifits (better breathing, muscle tone, flexability) and have found no cons. In the beginning it can be challenging, but I agree that it's great advice to not become embarrased. Not sure if I spelled that word right, does 'embarrased' come from being 'bare-assed?'! Lol-Anyway . . .

I think it's interesting how the subtle (and not so) energies inside us and around us have such an influence on what happens in our lives and how we feel. I believe yoga is one way of taking responsibility and raising the frequency of your thoughts and actions, and hence making the word better!

Yay!
Rina
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:
LandB, believe me when I say there is no way I could ever find a yoga class where I live. I'm in rural West Virginia so I'll simply have to rely on the DVD's. I'll be careful though!

Go for it! Maybe just watch the tapes a few times first and play with the poses before doing the whole thing.

Good Luck and ENJOY!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
LandB - what are your thoughts on Bikram yoga? I've been looking into this and would like to try a class or two. I like that it not only has all of the benefits of yoga, but detox benefits as well. I realize it's intense b/c of the heat/humidity, but would you say the positions are intense as well? I ask b/c my sweet boyfriend said he would try it with me and he's never done yoga before. He's always wanted to though b/c he plays hockey and would like to be more flexible. I just don't want him to strangle me afterwards for starting him off in a difficult class! Laughing
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the AM/PM for over a year. My waist reduced 1.5" the first 6 weeks. I like the AM person. I also have a WInsor tape. I like the short 20-25 minute routines because you can fit them in easily.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99:

I did Bikram Yoga for about 2 years but for some legal issues my instructor decided not to teach it any more. (Bikram asked him to teach only his routine or he’ll not authorize him to teach his routine at all.) Bikram Yoga is Hatha Yoga. He put 26 postures in a certain series and copy right it. Can you believe it. Those postures have been practiced by millions of people for thousands of years.

Anyway, the room is heated between 100~120 degree. It all depends on the instructor. You’ll get used to it after 5 to 10 times. Drink lots of water before and after the routine. Do not eat at least 2 hours before the class. Remember to bring a pair of sweat pants and pullover to wear after the class if the studio does not have a shower room or you want to go home directly after the routine. It’s an one and a half hour class and you will be sweating a lot. Birkram put those 26 postures in a certain series so you warm up for your next posture. Every posture repeated twice and hold for at least 30 seconds.

Don’t get frustrated for the 1st couple of times. After you pass the “uncomfortable” (caused by the heat) stage you’ll love it. When you do yoga posture, you massage your internal organs too.

I’ve been practice yoga for 5 years now. My finger nails use to have lots of parallel lines, they were gone after about 1 year. I used to have very dry skin on my body and it’s getting much better now. I developed lots of muscle tone and the best of all I have 4 packs on my stomach. I’m 46 and have 2 kids. I’m very happy with my body shape now. I did not loose any weight but my body fat dropped about 3 percent. For last 5 years I only get sick once. My energy level is much higher. And my short temper is much, much better.

One thing to remember, before you really know how to do the posture DO NO PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD. You’ll hurt yourself. Always ask your instructor if you have any question. I suggest anyone who wants to do yoga DO IT IN A YOGA STUDIO not gym. Lots of instructors in the gym are not certified and they do some postures wrong w/o knowing it.

Hope this help.

Cheryl

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:52 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
LandB - what are your thoughts on Bikram yoga?

TAMgirl99,

I think MACrisis did a great job of describing Bikram. For me, Bikram does not provide the "experience" that I'm looking for in a yoga practice. It is very regimented... almost like yoga boot camp... and does not relax me whatsoever. It's like performing calisthenics in a sauna. I also don't think that it contributes to my flexibility as much as Ashtanga or Kripalu yoga. After just one Ashtanga or Kripalu class, I see noticeable improvement in flexibility. I did not notice the same result with Bikram. I do not feel peaceful after a Bikram class. I feel like I had a workout... and there are other things like cardio kickboxing to loud music that I find more enjoyable in a workout.

In my Bikram class, you are not allowed to leave the room absent an "emergency." That means that if you feel nauseous or dizzy, which people do feel from the extreme heat, you're
stuck there.

You will sweat more than you have ever sweat in your life, so wear as little clothes as your ego can tolerate. Most women in my classes wore sports bras and short-shorts.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for both of your help! I think I'll look into starting him off with a non-heated yoga class and go from there. At least that way we can compare the different types of yoga classes offered as well. Thanks again!
sexy28
5% products discount

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:05 am      Reply with quote
You'd be surprised, some really good teachers teach at gyms. Mari Winsor teaches pilates at my gym, and there are also great yoga teachers as well. But certainly some cheaper franchised kind of gyms might not hire the best teachers, check their credentials first. But if you find a great teacher at your gym you can save a lot of money since the classes are included and not $10-15 each class like at yoga studios.

However I've got to say I really do like the vibe and look of a lot of large yoga studios a lot better then the gym. They are better. More boutique and larger rooms, less people, better lighting etc. I went to this one boutique yoga studio near my house last night and I hadn't taken a yoga class in months and months or been working out at all. It was beautiful, they really had the lighting down to a science with soft lights, some colored ones, brick walls, full length mirrors, really dark hardwood floors. And in the huge room there were only 9 students taking the class including myself, so plenty of room to spread out.

What kind of music does most of your yoga classes use though? Cause this was all soft contemporary kind of alternative music that they played. I liked the music cause it's the kind of music that I like listening to, however I also kind of felt that it was more distracting. Music with words and stuff is more distracting to be able to really focus. I can't believe that they have a hip hop yoga class at my gym. I'll have to check that out. How do you do yoga and concentrate while listening to hip hop music?

Anyways, I have to say that I don't absolutely love yoga while I'm doing it. Like any exercise it's hard work and I often want it to just be over. I love the stretching poses and all, I'm just not really into all the shoulder work like all the warrior poses and plank. Probably just because I'm so weak. They even have us doing pushups and crunches in my yoga class. But after the class I always feel amazing. It IS like having had a massage. Except massages are more enjoyable and relaxing during it. But you're glowing afterwards and feel so light and aligned. And agile and with great posture and everything. Just like you're ready to go, and you really feel your whole body. I don't know, like felt just like my hips and shoulders and everything was opened up and not tight anymore. If I go anywhere right after a yoga class I get hit on by guys so much. Which usually doesn't happen to me very much. I think it's because of how I feel afterwards. Glowing, calm and open and confident etc. Too bad I'm married! Wink

So, I should do it more. But I am SO sore today. My entire body is. Especially my abs and whole mid region. My back, my sides, even my feet! Everything if I stretch it just even a little bit feels so sore. It certainly works your muscles, people just platue on that after they've been doing it so long...

I tried doing the power yoga tapes before and I just couldn't keep up or do it. I'm not ready for that, it really is a lot of work. More so then just lifting weights cause that you just do, count the reps and you're done. With some of the harder and more vigorous yoga stuff you are holding these postures for a long time which is a lot more torturous on the mind. I think that's why it teaches balance, focus and patience though. Something missing in such fast pace lives, always wanting instant gratification and to just short cut through all the unpleasant stuff. With yoga there is no shortcuts and you must endure and hold an unpleasant position until you realize that it's really not so bad and you can do it.

If I keep doing this I think it will really help with my ADD and my procrastination of unpleasant work and tasks in my life.

As far as negatives to it, well there are always injury possibilities. Go slow and don't push yourself too hard at first, know your limitations. It also might stimulate certain chakras, bringing up issues or negative emotions to deal with. That maybe why it has more of a psychological effect on people then other forms of exercise.

Anyways, a DVD I really like is Yoga for Urban Living with Hemalaya Behl. It's just her and is all voiceover. It's much more relaxing to me and focused then a lot of the group dvds. It also has a relaxing pm bedtime yoga session and a quick invigorating am morning quickie session, and full longer day session. And it has special features where she goes through each different type of breathing and each pose. You can choose a certain pose on the special features to watch her do and explain to learn each one better. And you can workout to them that way mixing and matching to create your own customized workout. It's really good.

Also, I haven't seen their dvd, but I really liked the class I took at this studio and they have their own dvd too. You can get it at http://www.go2yas.com

Good luck!

I do have a question for regulars though. When you start off and are new to exercise and to yoga, how often can you do it? I can't believe how sore I am and don't think I would be able to do it again today while I'm so sore. Can you only do it a couple times a week when you start off? Thanks.[/b]
micha_852
5% products discount

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:48 am      Reply with quote
i have been told that going to another yoga class when you are sore is the best thing to do, even tho you might not think it is..i don't know exactly how much truth there is to this tho.

also i was curious for those of you that have tried both - do you prefer pilates or yoga?? and why??
ta

5% products discount

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. It is hard to imagine especially considering that it was the yoga that made me so sore. I thought that yoga helps you recover faster from other things like weight lifting but all I did was yoga and jogging and I'm more sore then when I lift weights. It's not as intense as that, but it's more all over. With weights I might be sore in my biceps, shoulders and triceps, only the muscles worked. But even my feet are sore with this. If I stretch my feet down to point my toes it hurts so bad in the top of my feet and ankle area... Literally any part of my body I strech out hurts when I strech it. So another yoga class sounds like it would be torturous. Maybe it would help to stretch it all out. Just the pain of it though... ouch!

This is the 2nd day after now and it still feels the same.

I think I prefer pilates/yoga fusions.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Sexy 28, I'm wondering whether you're having a "mixed" reaction to the yoga and jogging together. Do you get sore just from jogging? Anyway, it sounds like you might have pushed the yoga poses a bit too far - I tend to do this after I've taken a yoga hiatus. I want to have the flexibility I had before the hiatus... but it does take some time to return (less time than you would expect, though, which is good).

I think another yoga class would help with stretching the muscles that were overtaxed and are now "clenching," but I would keep it really gentle. Any good instructor should encourage every student to take it at his or her level, and to rest in child's pose if s/he just can't hold the pose without discomfort. You should never hold a pose that is causing you so much discomfort that you can't breathe through it. By the way, breathing deeply when holding a pose helps to relax you and prevent your muscles from restricting, which causes soreness later.

As for pilates vs. yoga, I felt like a total goofball in the two pilates classes that I took and would not do it again. I felt like a fish flapping out of water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried both yoga and pilates and prefer yoga. Of the classes I have been to, yoga seemed to give more of a 'workout'. Yoga seems to slim everything down nicely, as well as improve flexibility.

I think however that you are making the right choice not doing it in a heated room. From some of the comments posted here (nausea, dizziness etc.) as well as research and other people's experiences and the 'un-natural-ness' of this sort of thing, best to do it at normal room temperature. An ashtanga class should make you warm enough, especially once you become familiar with the poses and can move faster. However I know some people do enjoy bikram yoga.
Also, I go to a gym and have a great teacher there- this was by chance and I have had some bad ones at the gym too. But good luck with your venture and I hope you enjoy it!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |