Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Evening Primrose Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
melissajane
5% products discount

Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Just thought i would let you all know that i have been taking evening primrose oil for my hormonal acne breakouts which were getting really bad on my jaw and neck and it really has cleared it up quite a bit. I only get a few now and again. It also helps with pmt and moodswings too. Its great stuff.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Melissajane,

What dosage of Evening Primrose are you taking? And how long were you taking it before you noticed an improvement.

I used to take Evening Primrose oil during the winter months when I would feel that I was being affected by lack of sunshine. I found it helped then as well.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Melissajane are you taking any other supplements as well as the Evening Primrose Oil?
EPO is good for PMS and may help relieve water rentention and breast swelling. However it can have adverse effects such as increased frequency of periods and go the other way - aagravating PMS symptoms including acne.
EPO either really agrees with you or will dislike you imensly, it is also crucial you get the dosage right.
I hope this helps as I have seen a few close friends adversly effected by EPO.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
EPO gave me headaches!...and when i googled it, I found a few sites stating that as a possible reaction in some people.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Just bumping this old thread up again as I have bought some Evening primrose capsules (1000mg) in hope it will clear my skin and even out hormones.
Does anyone have any feedback on this and how it has helped their skin and what dosage and time frames?
Thanks so much Smile
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I took evening primrose for quite a while and I personally noticed nothing. In my quest to get clear skin, I have started taking Vitamin A and Zinc, Along with Omega 3-6-9 (since many of the foods that you can find the Omega oils in i.e. fish,) I don't eat a stick of fish, no seafood. I have not posting any results, because I have only been taking them for about a month now. I am also increasing my Vitamin C intake and Folic Acid. I was taking a super vitamin from GNC, that had a bunch of stuff they made me sick, so I stopped and I am now only doing these.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer.
I am hoping I may have some success because my chin area is the area I am wanting to help and it is hormonal acne that I get, apparently Evening Primrose helps balance hormones (mine are way out of whack from radiotherapy induced premature menopause). Prior to this I had good skin.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
In my case, I take EPO for a while and I notice some acne on my face but my younger sister opposite, she has clearer and smoother skin.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:09 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Melissajane are you taking any other supplements as well as the Evening Primrose Oil?
EPO is good for PMS and may help relieve water rentention and breast swelling. However it can have adverse effects such as increased frequency of periods and go the other way - aagravating PMS symptoms including acne.
EPO either really agrees with you or will dislike you imensly, it is also crucial you get the dosage right.
I hope this helps as I have seen a few close friends adversly effected by EPO.

rosebud, thank you for warning!
I tend to be very-very cautious with everything that is able to do more harm than good Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 am      Reply with quote
I can see how EPO might have adverse reactions to those using it for PMS. My situation is different though because though I am young I am unfortunately menopausal so I am lacking hormones - which I believe has lead to my breakouts on the chin area.

Has anyone else taken EPO for menopause or hormone deficiencies?
I will keep taking them for now - fingers crossed they help...the frustrating thing is that the rest of my skin is really good!!!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I have tried this too unfortunately it caused me to breakout even more.
First I tried 500mg and did not have any change when I upped to 1,000mg I started breaking out more.
Its great when you find something that works though.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, why would Evening Primrose make you "break" out? What would cause that?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure. But I have read about others having the same problem with EP. It seems to work well for some though.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:39 am      Reply with quote
yeah same here... previously, I was only taking one capsule which is 500mg and nothing happened. Then I started taking 2caps 1000mg and there's not much difference either. And recently, I took 4caps which adds up to 2000mg and I started to experience more breakouts close to my period. In fact, I have 3 big red pimples on my face now... Sad Also, my face seems to feel more irritated and sensitive. So much for taking it for clear skin and it's the total opposite. I even bought 2 bottles of them cuz it was on sale Crying or Very sad Now what to do!!
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
yeah same here... previously, I was only taking one capsule which is 500mg and nothing happened. Then I started taking 2caps 1000mg and there's not much difference either. And recently, I took 4caps which adds up to 2000mg and I started to experience more breakouts close to my period. In fact, I have 3 big red pimples on my face now... Sad Also, my face seems to feel more irritated and sensitive. So much for taking it for clear skin and it's the total opposite. I even bought 2 bottles of them cuz it was on sale Crying or Very sad Now what to do!!

I wonder if the EPO's are something you should take for only part of your cycle, as to when though I am not sure. It might be worth looking into though.
For me it is baseline as there is no cycle so I am going to take them everyday. Everyone's hormones are different though which may explain the varying results and therefore varying doses or times to take it. Confusing!!! Confused
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering how long roughly it took people to see a difference (whether good or bad differences) from taking the EPO?
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I have been taking them for a couple of years. Not sure if they do much for PMT but they definitely will increase your breast size! They work better for small breasted women but I know at least 4 women who have gone up a cup size. It won't happen overnight but taken regularly (at least 1000mg) it should work well within a year. Mine have gone from a c cup to double d, but they don't work for everyone with larger busts, more the smaller ones.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
ROFL Laughing
Well for me that would certainly be a side affect I do not mind at all!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking EPO for over two years now. It was recommended by my Naturopathic Doctor for my PMS issues. I take EPO a week before and during my period.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
I've been taking EPO for over two years now. It was recommended by my Naturopathic Doctor for my PMS issues. I take EPO a week before and during my period.

Yen, if my period is irregular, then how should I take it? For example, my period comes every 4-5 wks so it's unpredictable. Also, how much did u take a day then? Thanks! Smile
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Yen, if my period is irregular, then how should I take it? For example, my period comes every 4-5 wks so it's unpredictable. Also, how much did u take a day then? Thanks! Smile

I take the EPO by Genestra. I take one capsule a day the week before (or when you start feeling discomfort) and during my period.

Taking a B6 complex is also good for the hormonal issues. I take the Multi#6 by Thorne (one capsule per day).

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

I take the EPO by Genestra. I take one capsule a day the week before (or when you start feeling discomfort) and during my period.

Taking a B6 complex is also good for the hormonal issues. I take the Multi#6 by Thorne (one capsule per day).

Thanks Yen! So 1 capsule is how much mg of oil? 1000mg? Thanks Smile
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Which brand is good??
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Thanks Yen! So 1 capsule is how much mg of oil? 1000mg? Thanks Smile

It's 1300 mg.

Check out this link for more info.
http://yourethecure.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=19&substring=GLA+130

You can buy this product at health food stores too.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |