Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

greasy oily hair - help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:46 am      Reply with quote
I am SO tired of oily hair! I try to "only" wash my hair every other day...but by the end of day two I look a complete mess.

It's strange, my face isn't oily at all - but my scalp produces enough oil to sink a battleship!!!! I've just got back from 4 days in a primitive old house in the woods of southern Sweden. 4 days of not washing my hair. AAAAAAgh, my scalp was so itchy, my hair looked as though I'd combed a tub of butter through it and on top of that my boyfriend told me I had dandruff!! Needless to say, I wasn't feeling particularly attractive.

Got home yesterday...took a looooong lovely warm shower. Thought to myself - why not OCM my head and hair aswell as my body??? Oliveoil+apricotkernel oil+ a drop of Lavender EO and a drop of Rosemary EO. Massaged away and let it stay in for the remainding 30 minutes of my bodymassage OCM (with coffee in, messy but smellt lovely). Rinsed my oils off and washed my hair with shampoo.

When my hair had dried it was lovely and soft and not greasy - and I thought to myself "maybe I've figured it out!!!!"....

woke up this morning with greasy hair. Was late for work so didn't have time to wash it + I didn't WANT to wash it again already. Mad

Was OCM a bad idea? or do you think it might help in the long run?

I've more or less stopped using conditioner because I've noticed my hair gets oily quicker with than without. And I'm using shampoo from Urtekram, a scandinavian line of natural bodycare products.

My hair is thin and fine, so when it's greasy it accentuates the thinness... Needless to say, I'm not feeling very attractive today either...

Now... Has anyone got any good ideas how to treat my problem? Some days it really gets me down.... Crying or Very sad

Was looking at the Dr Hauschka shampoo... Any thoughts?

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Poppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Ruth I totally understand what you're going thru.
I have to wash my hair everyday too, it's soo time consuming, all the washing & drying...

Why dont you try Weleda Rosemary Shampoo, it's a new thing for me and so far I really like it.

I have used 3 days in a row and I find my hair is less prone to oilyness & shine.

I would not suggest for ppl with dry/frizzy hair though.
I tried Dr hauschka Neem Hair Lotion before and its just so-so (no bad reaction but didnt really improve that much) so I decided to try Weleda instead (its much cheaper to boot!)

HTH!
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Hey Poppy... I have Weleda Rosemary tonic/water (use it on towel dry hair) which hasn't helped a bit, unfortunately Sad ... Glad you've found something that helps you though! Smile

I'm wondering about the Dr Hauschka Nasturtium Shampoo...it sounds too good to be true...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I too have oily hair and if you want to do a treatment use Jojoba Oil, it should help with excessive oiliness at the roots. I tend to stick with the full body shampoos/conditioners and would not be able to live without mousse Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:26 am      Reply with quote
My immediate thought was that you have product build up and that you need to use a clarifying shampoo to CUT THROUGH all that grease or build up. Neutrogena's clear colored shampoo is really good for that. You will find a difference. Condition only your ends.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth,

How long is your hair?

Here are my hair tips for what it is worth:

1) Brush your hair with a natural brush (try boars hair). The oils on your hair need to get to the ends. All that oil is actually good especially if you have (or want) long hair. Most peoples hair don't produce enough oils to keep the ends from drying out. This may be a blessing in disguise. Very Happy It is all in how you look at it.

2) On the same note.....do not over brush. If you are brushing too much it will stimulate the hair and you will end up with really oily hair. The key is a number of strokes you will do regularly (morning and night). I thought my hair dresser was smoking crack when she told me all this, but turns out she was right. If you don't brush your hair a lot, then start off with 15-20 strokes with your hair upside down. This will distribute the oils thru your hair and you aren't overstimulating the ones on top of your melon (which really weights mine down too). Work your way up each week to 50-80. That's all that's needed. 100 really is too much...ok, for me 25 is too much. Hahaha. try a number that works and stick with it. Your scalp will get used to it and won't over produce oils, but you will still be distributing the oils to the ends which gives your hair a nice healthly look.

3) Try Madora's Blue Shampoo. I alternate between the Blue (during the summer) and the cream shampoo. Both are gentle.

4) You don't acutally need to wash your hair everyday or condition either.

The hardest for me was changing my hair washing habits. I always washed my hair and conditioned when I showered (which was daily). I was a lucky one (in retrospect) because my hair was oily too! I felt I needed to wash it because by the next day it looked oily!! I hate that look (and feel). It was very hard for me to change BUT I did two things:

....a) let my bangs grow out (the bangs always looked oily first and to me that looks dirty when they just lay there and dont' move)

b) modified my hairdressers advice. I DON'T wash my hair daily anymore, but I do wash the hair around my face and top of my crown. It sound odd, but I put up my hair and leave an inch or so (the back of my ears towards my face down. I will use my cream shampoo to gently wash this hair and if needed the top of my crown just to control the oil a bit. Most of my hair is dry. This may sound odd and it took me awhile to figure out how to do this that suited me, but I now wash all of my hair about twice a week and still don't look like a grease monkey. I think washing too much also produces lots of oils (just like our faces when we remove the oil then our bodies seek to replace it). The cream shampoo is very gentle and doesn't strip like most shampoos. Also, the cream rinse is NOT a conditioner, but detangles without weighting down. Conditioning really only needs to be done once a week. When you condition using grocery store conditioners (which I have too) just do the ends. Stay away from the scalp.

I don't think the OCM will help you any. I know many women use EVOO to condition their hair (which works), but the oil can't really penetrate the shaft well (and if you are at all oily will only magnify the problem). I have fine hair, but lots of it and EVOO doesn't work well on my type of hair. Very course hair can probably pull it off. Try a home treatment oil that you can wash off (like VO5 hot oil treatment). That can give you some good conditioning, but won't weigh you down as much as the OCM. Side note: The BEST time to use a hot oil treatment is when your hair is as oily as you described. The oil in the treatment combined with your natural oils really does a fantastic job of deep conditioning your hair.

I really type too much sorry. Hope some of this helps!! I'm including my hairdresser (Catherine) and the Madora link for the products I mentioned. They do ship. Even if you don't have long hair the producst are wonderful and last forever.

http://www.catherinessalon.com/
http://www.madoralonghairheaven.com/

5% products discount

Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:17 am      Reply with quote
i'm trying not to wash my hair everyday also and have found that hair powders meant to absorb the oil really do work for me on days i wake up and dont wash. My hair is blond, so i can even use baby powder to make my hair look fresh, and its super cheap and quick.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Ruth -- my hair is exactly the same as yours and it is very long. I tried Dr Hauschka shampoo. Don't bother with it, it did me NO good. The only thing I have found that helps with the ITCHINESS in particular was Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern Shampoo. I can wash my hair every other day when I use this. If I use any other shampoo I have to wash every day. They also have a line of shampoos for oily hair but they don't not combat the itchiness nearly as well, although they are more effective against the oiliness. I buy this in the health food store or from vitaminlife.com. I love Aubrey Organic's products, but their customer service for website orders sucks.

Good luck, let us know if you find something that works for you!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Well... this isn't a cheap or necessarily convenient way to address the problem... but for what it's worth,

I found that when I highlighted my hair regularly, I could definitely wash every other day. The highlights cut down on the oil in my scalp dramatically.

Now that I don't highlight regularly, my scalp does produce more oil than I'd like. Ironically, I found that conditioning the roots after shampooing actually reduces the oil production. I wonder if your scalp is compensating for being too dry by producing excessive oil?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get other good advice here. GOOD LUCK!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth,

I feel for you. I have thick hair and I have to wash every other day because it gets oily.

The shampoos you're using may be too conditioning or just too gentle.

In the past when I've used really gentle hair shampoo, by the end of the day my hair would be really oily. I would feel like I needed another shower.

Right now I'm using Giovanni 50:50 balanced shampoo and conditioner for normal to dry hair because mine is color treated. It's very natural, no sulfates or parabens and it smells great. It keeps me from getting too oily.

You may benefit from the one for oily hair. I buy mine at Whole Foods Market.

I agree with SusieQ on the clarifying shampoo, and like mildlyobsessive, I use powder in my hair when it gets oily and I don't have time to wash it.

Good luck and Don't give up!!!!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
LandB -- I found out the same thing when I dyed my hair! I can get away with a lot less washing because the dye made my hair so dry LOL.
Yulia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth Smile

I've tried the Dr Hauschka Neem shampoo, and I have to agree with Chimera, my hair was actually oilier after using it. Sad

I also have fine hair which is prone to greasiness. I find my hair is less oily if I don't massage my scalp too much while I'm washing it, so as not to over-stimulate the oil glands. If my hair is particularly oily, I leave the shampoo on my hair for a couple minutes before washing it off, to absorb any extra oil.

I wish I had a miracle recommendation, but I'm still trying to find the ideal shampoo/conditioner for my hair type. At the moment I'm using MOP C-System shampoo, which is very gentle (contains no sulphates) and seems to be good for my itchy scalp, but I haven't noticed any improvement in the oiliness, and the matching conditioner does not detangle very well.

Cheers Smile
Yulia
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone and thankyou SO much for all your replies and friendly support... you've brightened up my misery and I really really appreciate it...thankyou!!!!

Deanne - you are a sweetheart! I'm going to go get myself a proper brush. Do you wash / clean your brush?? My hair goes to my shoulders...so is longish.

Thanx for the info on the Dr Hauschka stuff chimera and yulia - I won't be going anywhere near it Very Happy

now...I've been wanting to do highlights for a while now...but I'm chicken. My hair is pretty sensitive and I don't want to ruin what little I have...

deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Deanne - you are a sweetheart! I'm going to go get myself a proper brush. Do you wash / clean your brush?? My hair goes to my shoulders...so is longish.

Thank you Ruth! I do clean my brush (I use gentle soap or my Cream Shampoo). I don't do it as often as I probably should, but I do keep it clear of hair and such after each brushing. Smile

Just a lame hair fact....most shampoos on the market are only designed for hair that reaches the shoulders. The ones for oily, normal, combo, etc are meant for shoulder length and shorter cuts. When hair gets longer, these shampoos/conditioners are really too strong. From what I remember of Catherines advice is this is because the oil produced from our scalp naturally only goes down the shaft do far. The older the hair....the less oil gets to it and it is more prone to damage. That is why brushing with a good brush is such an easy and effective way to care for ones hair. The natural brisles distribute the oils down the hair shaft keeping is healthier longer. The less dried out the ends are mean your split ends aren't so severe. This just equals out to less hair trimmed off to keep healthly and letting hair grow out. This advice works for all lengths.

WOW! I have turned into a hair freak! Laughing Bahahaha! I have suffered from a bad cut to bad perm and now I'm really picky on who touches my hair...actually, that's how it started growing out. I was terrified to go back to a salon. I went in for a 'cute' short cut and the hairdresser said he cut my hair to my face. Ok, well.....uh no! I walked out with a version of a mulut!!! It was too short to curl or tie back, but I swear I should have been playing softball, soccer, or tennis for the all american lesbian league (No offense lovely lesbian ladies). My hair was a running joke in my family unitl it grew out....in fact, my husband staged a mock intervention with my family on a visit so I could a) get a different hair cut or b)feel comfortable enough to come out of the closet. Yes, he is an A$#, but I love him. My folks thought it was hilarious, but my grandmother was just confused about the whole thing. She still worries I might be gay. WOW! I do have hair issues. Bahahaha!!! Take care and have a happy new year!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:49 am      Reply with quote
You might want to try adding a few drops of Clary Sage essential oil to whatever shampoo you are using.

• CLARY SAGE: Antiseptic, aids in the regeneration of skin cells, wrinkles, anti-inflammatory, also helpful for acne, boils, inflammation, psoriasis, eczema. Helps cuts, wounds and burns to heal. Useful for hair care controls the production of sebum, oily hair, dandruff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:19 am      Reply with quote
but doesn't clary sage also have an anti hair growth property as well? ....I need all the hair I can get/keep Laughing

I might put a drop or two of my rosemary EO though, that might help... hmm

carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Ruth wrote:
but doesn't clary sage also have an anti hair growth property as well? ....I need all the hair I can get/keep Laughing

I might put a drop or two of my rosemary EO though, that might help... hmm
Yeah, you're right. Confused But rosemary and peppermint stimulates it, so maybe you could add a couple drops of each to "cancel out" the clary sage..? Lavender EO is also supposed to regulate sebum production.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:33 am      Reply with quote
was thinking of mixing lavender, rosemary and lemon....

I had some rosemary and lemon in an aromalamp the other day, and all of a sudden I noticed i ws feeling sort of peckish... - Realized the flat smellt of roastbeef...rosemary and lemon.. So maybe not the best combination Bad Grin

Carrie11381
5% products discount

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Ruth,
I have the same problem. I use Miessence Lemon Myrtle shampoo and my hair only starts to get oily at the very end of the second day. It works better than anything I've ever tried.

Here's the link:
http://www.onegrp.com/?bluecypress
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth,

Was thinking about you and wondering if you found something that's working for you. Smile

Cloe
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:52 am      Reply with quote
Hey Cloe Very Happy and thanx for thinking of me...

Actually I have found something that works!!!! Well at least has helped...

I make up teeny batches of Carries ACV toner in a Lancome travel size makeupremover bottle - suppose that's about 15ml (?), 1/3 ACV, 2/3 plain but boiled water or mint tea, a drop each of ylangylang and lavender or rosemary and lavender or clary sage and lavender.

I've had this bottle standing in my bathroom cupboard and used it on my face after cleansing for the last couple of weeks (it works very well by the way, helping my old red marks fade faster - which is so comforting and good for selfesteem too)...

...Then one day in the shower I thought to myself hmm Haven't I read somewhere that ACV is good for removing build up?? So I grabbed my little bottle and emptied it out over the top of my head Very Happy It felt very refreshing... a slight pong, but never mind. Washed my hair as usual afterwards and my hair came out shiney and clean. AND it didn't start getting greasy until late day 2!!! and it helped the itchiness!!!! fantastic Laughing

So I've done this 3-4 times I think...2 times in a row , which I think might be overkill, don't think you should do this every time you wash your hair... but 1-2 times a week works great and I feel MUCH better about myself! And that is really good...

If you try this I recomend you use a shampoo with a yummy perfume... Otherwise you can be left with slightly vinegary smelly hair Bad Grin It only happened to me once, so maybe I didn't rinse/wash it all out properly - but anyways...

wave wave wave Ruth

tipu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth,

is Urtekram a dk line? where do you buy it???

thank you, Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I only wash my hair every other day, but wash my roots everyday. Also, I've noticed since switching to the Tourmaline T3 blow dryer, my hair doesn't seem as greasy as when I use another bow-dryer....coincidence maybe, I don't know.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Ruth,

I'm so glad you found something that works for you and is so simple too!

Thanks for sharing Very Happy

cloe
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Tipu - yeah Urtekram is a danish line, I actually googled them to check them out now. They've seemingly been around since the early 70s and they are the oldest ecological manufacturors in Denmark. They produce all sorts of stuff... You can buy thier shampoos etc in most healthfood/care shops, at least in Copenhagen. Thier homepage is in english as well... http://www.urtekram.dk/docs/indhold/default.asp?side_id=80

Cloe, thanx for your kind words - you are a gem Very Happy

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |