Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Which is the cystic acne culprit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
For the past two weeks I've been dealing with deep cystic acne on my chin and jawline. My skin is oily but I haven't had to deal with this type of acne in over a year. These are the changes I made:

1) 2 1/2 months ago - started OCM on face followed by ACV toner
2) 2 months ago - had my hair highlighted so started using the leave in hair serum from Aveda
3) 1 1/2 month ago - started usign Decleor Neroli oil in the mornings and Ylang Ylang or Essential Balm at night.

With the above timeline, do you think the culprit is number 1, 2, or 3? I've switched my routine to use stuff from PSF a few days ago and my skin seems to be improving already. I do miss OCM though, that stuff really cleaned out my pores. And I really miss the heavenly smell of Decleor oils/balms. My husband is now using them with great results.

Thanks for your input!
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think any of those are the culprits. From what my dermatologist has told me, cyctic acne is due to hormones and not brought on by topically applied products.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I agree.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree too Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Really? Shouldn't I be seeing it every month then? I'm in my mid 30's so the hormone thing kinda baffles me. Embarassed

I did go back to OCM tonight though, removed all sorts of grainy things from my pores. Wink
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
For me, Retin-A plus lowdose antibiotics regularly plus a vitamin regimen that includes all the trace elements plus C, E, Flaxseed oil, and MSM have been the only way I have been able to keep cystic acne at bay.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I sometimes gets those annoying Mad cysts on my chin. I especially get extra annoyed when they stick around for 2-3+ weeks. Rawrrr! Mad

They always come in multiples and never once a month... like every 3 months or so. I agree that it's hormonal but that doesn't mean there has to be a consistency in their frequency of occurence.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jadette Smile first of all, can I just say I love that you provided a specific timeline?! I'm the sort that tends to lose track.

IMHO the most likely cause is hormones, as the others have said. In the past year I've been battling cystic acne myself as my hormones have gone out of whack. Some months are better than others. It might be a spike in your hormones, perhaps triggered by unusual stress?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Many things can cause your hormones to be a bit out of whack, not just your period. Stress, changes in your routine, even seasonal changes can effect your hormone levels.

I too have found that retinA and antibiotics keep cyctic acne in check. The antibiotics are usually reserved for those who get regular cyctic acne, not the one or two every once in awhile. Also, clyndamycen gel is good for cyctic acne. It is a topical antibiotic.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Well. I wouldn't use antibiotics frivously. Listen people, antibiotics should only be used for internal infections and a you don't die from cystic acne. You CAN live with it. I would use a very well formulated BHA to OPEN up the pores and OVER that a THIN layer of a blemish fighter. Good luck!
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Stress is a factor I forgot about. The month of December was particularly tough Sad . I used antibiotics a lot when I was a teenager to combat acne and have learned that it kills your good bacteria so I try to be cautious when I use it. Always take probiotics afterwards if you use antibiotics. I have found that my DDF 5% benzoyl peroxide with green tea is doing wonders for my acne. As well, the PSF acne mask cleanses it out well when it has already "popped" Rolling Eyes - I know it's pretty gross. Thanks for the input everyone! I'm happy to incorporate OCM back in my routine but will continue to stay away from the decleor balms.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi jadette - If your hair touches your chin and jawline, I wouldn't rule out that the Aveda serum is the culprit. It's certainly not unheard of for hair products to cause problems of this sort. If your hair is longish, maybe you should consider keeping it off your face and see what happens.

It's my understanding that ylang ylang is used to treat acneic skin, so this makes me suspect the serum even more.

Of course hormones could be the root of the problem, especially considering where your acne is occurring and in spite of your age. Also, make sure you don't touch your chin and jawline with your hands/fingers, and that your pillowcase is clean.

Good luck!
dori
5% products discount

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jadette.
I feel your pain, I'm going through the same thing and trying to figure out what works for me.
For those that say "you can live with acne" obviously hasn't had the experience on having so much pain in your face that you can't even touch it or raise your eyebrows. You also become a hermit and confidence is non existent because of the acne. And yes..people do stare! Acne is very different to the regular pimple. Normal treatment just doesn't work and you keep on telling yourself that someday it'll get better. I have been on Roaccutane 5 yrs ago but didn't finish the course. Now I have relapsed and tring to find another way of dealing with it.

Jadette, good luck with your acne...let me know what works.

5% products discount

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
I hate to sound like a broken record, but, have you examined your sugar intake? I swear that had a huge impact on my skin. I'm talkin' sugar in your coffee, juice in your smoothie, latte's etc. Not to mention the obvious like cake, chocolate,etc. Anything you eat everyday that has sugar. Also, evening primrose oil, zinc, vit a,e,b-complex help too. I am 38.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
jawline and chin acne/pimples are highly related to stress and anxiety. Also, on the hormone front, go to the doctor and have your baseline hormones tested (they just do a bloodtest). The doctor will know what the general level should be for each stage of the cycle (so be sure to know what day of your cycle you are on when the blood test is done and tell the doctor).

I am 39 and had mine tested last July (a couple months after my birthday) and I just KNEW I had hormone trouble (related to stress) but the doctor kept saying 39 was too young for hormone imbalance. Then the result came back and he was like "see I told you they are OK" and then asked me what day in my cycle I was. When I told him the blood was drawn on day 13 his jaw actually dropped because my levels for that point of the cycle were substantially lower than they should have been.

Women start loosing hormones from late 20's/early 30's so it is worthwhile having it checked out.
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the input. I'm in a leadership role so stress is definitely a factor. Guess when you pass 35 things just start to happen. Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |