Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

aspirin mask
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
vintagedream
5% products discount

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
anyone here tried the aspirin mask? i hear it's really good for the skin... especially if you have acne... Cool
xxophelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried it twice and it seems okay to me, my pores are slightly cleaner. I guess I have to use it more often to see the actual effect. I did get a couple of zits along my jaw line plus a little bit more oiliness on my forehead but overall I am satisfied with the result. I even tried it on my husband and it was the same with him minus the zits. I am wondering if the zits and the oil have to do with the ingredients that I am using.

I used whole milk, honey, lavender essential oil (2 drops), and 3-4 aspirins, and on my husband I used Citronilla essential oil.

Thanks
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
i don't find it help my acne that much but great for clearing up clogged pores and fading blemishes ... skin just looks clearer and cleaner after use.
SuperCelebs
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
am i doing something wrong when im using the aspirin mask? i have a ton of blackheads/clogged pores but it doesnt seem to help one bit..
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Super Celebs - PM CareKate she's the queen of DIY.

I have normal skin with an oily T zone. I make my mask with the asprin couple drops of water and honey. The pores on the bridge of my nose are finally starting to close, in addition the the clogged ones are opening.

How often are you doing the mask? I have read of women on here who do it 5x a week. I do mine 2x a week, more from lazyness than anything else I think. I leave mine on for approx. 30 minutes, get in the shower, wet my hands and lightly rub it off in small circular motion to remove.

Due to the fact you say you have a fair amount of blemishes maybe increasing the days of the masks would help? Suggestions for adding essential oils are recommended too. I added lemon to mine today for a change of pace and to see if anything different would happen. It smelled good, tasted AWFUL - Bleck! Not recommended. Wasn't intentional. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Candy, just watch out which EO's you use if your using them on your face in the morning...lemon orange citronella etc (citrus fruits) make your skin more sensitive to the sun...so if you use them on your skin you need to wait 12 hours before exposing yourself (hi hi) to the great outdoors...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip Ruth - it's def a good one. I actually had thought about that and am using a sunscreen in addition to the other potions (as hubby calls em) if I plan on leaving the house that day! I normally do my asprin mask once I'm in for the day/night so I think I'm ok there.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I know people recommend this mask for folks with sensitive skin but I'd avoid it. I tried it once and my face had a grade A+, flaming red fit Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
thanx for the info on your reaction Gwynnie... What did you put in your mask?

I've yet to try the mask, but am looking forward to trying it out carefully on my scars. I also want to check it out so that maybe my friend can benefit from it, as she's been afflicted with acne just the last few months... But as I am prone to sensitivity I was wondering what you put in your mask and how you applied it??

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Ruth wrote:
I've yet to try the mask, but am looking forward to trying it out carefully on my scars. I also want to check it out so that maybe my friend can benefit from it, as she's been afflicted with acne just the last few months... But as I am prone to sensitivity I was wondering what you put in your mask and how you applied it??
Dissolve the aspirin in (literally) a couple of drops of water, then mix in a bit of honey and/or aloe vera gel, both of which hydrate and soothe for those with sensitive skin. The first time you do it, leave it on no longer than five minutes, just to see if your skin can tolerate it. If you don’t feel any stinging or burning from the mask being on 5 minutes, you can gradually increase the time you leave it on each time until you reach the maximum of 12 minutes.

Afterwards, slather on your favorite moisturizer or “calming” mask (Dermalogica Multi-Vitamin Power Recovery Mask is a great choice because you can apply a thick layer and rinse it off as directed, or apply a very thin layer and leave it on overnight as a deep moisturizing treatment).

Until you see how your skin reacts to the aspirin mask, you shouldn’t use it more than 2-3 per week, although I know some are tempted to use it much more often after seeing the amazing results following the first application!

Personally, I use my own personal variation of the aspirin mask every single morning without any problems or sensitivity, but then again I’ve got the hide of a rhinoceros! I realize not every one is as thick-skinned, so you’ll need to let your own skin tell you how often to use the aspirin mask.

Here are the instructions that I print on the “label” when I send out samples or trial sizes of my aspirin mask to EDS members:

Directions: Two to three times per week, apply thin layer of mask to entire face and neck, avoiding the eye contour area. Leave mask on for 10-15 minutes, then moisten fingertips and gently massage mask into skin, rewetting your fingers often. Rinse with lukewarn water, pat dry. Followup with ACV Toner, then any serums or moisturizers as desired.

Important Note: This mask can be drying, so do not use more often than recommended, no matter how much you may be tempted by the miraculous reduction in red marks from previous breakouts!

It is a good idea to followup this mask by applying a nice, rich facial moisturizer after rinsing mask off and applying ACV toner.

For extremely sensitive skin, you do not need to leave it on for as long as directed, or else you may cut back and use mask only 1-2 per week.

HTH,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
carekate; have you come across any effective way to make the dissolved aspirin less grainy? I find that the graininess of my aspirins just won't dissolve completely and i'm not a fan of the granular scrub feeling when i'm washing it off...

thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
carekate; have you come across any effective way to make the dissolved aspirin less grainy? I find that the graininess of my aspirins just won't dissolve completely and i'm not a fan of the granular scrub feeling when i'm washing it off...

thanks
You can crush it with a mortar and pestle or one of those "pill pulverizers" that you can buy at the drugstore (ask the pharmacist/chemist - whatever he's called up there!), but I don't think you will ever be able to completely irradicate the graininess.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
talked to my dermatologist about it... he said that it does work... but don't overdo it.
Tia R
5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I love the aspirin mask. Not too drying on my skin since I'm oily, and literally got rid of my blackheads on the first application. Unfortunately, I fell into the trap of using it for five days in a row cause I liked it so much and brought about a whole new nose of blackheads plus pimples...haha.

Anyways, it is great. Just use it in moderation, despite temptations. Very Happy

And take CareKate's advice. Laughing
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Instead of putting the aspirin mask on my entire face everyday, I'll spot treat needed areas with either a q-tip or a small paint brush dipped in the aspirin mask. This keeps my face from drying out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried the aspirin mask. I used a mortar & pestle to grind up the tablets into a fine powder. Mixed some warm water and applied it to my face. I liked the feeling of it, but I am afraid I couldn't keep it on longer than 5 minutes because the powder kept going up my nose every time I inhaled and into my lungs. Other than that, I really like the feel of my skin. I will try for 10 minutes next time around.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I went and bought the pills and aloe vera tonight! How much do I use of each? Do I make enough for a one time use or several usages.....

Carekate....I just started using the "Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash 60 Second Mask Scrub" a couple of times a week. Can I use both types of masks or not? Should I use one at the beginning of the week and use the other one like three days later? I started using this because it is supposed to clear up and prevent acne.
Tia R
5% products discount

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
I just tried the aspirin mask. I used a mortar & pestle to grind up the tablets into a fine powder. Mixed some warm water and applied it to my face. I liked the feeling of it, but I am afraid I couldn't keep it on longer than 5 minutes because the powder kept going up my nose every time I inhaled and into my lungs. Other than that, I really like the feel of my skin. I will try for 10 minutes next time around.

Hee hee, that happened to me too. I was sneezing like crazy! Haha. I only dab it under the zits under my nose...or else I begin sneezing everywhere.
Mabsy

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:42 am      Reply with quote
Tia R wrote:
MystyPines wrote:

Hee hee, that happened to me too. I was sneezing like crazy! Haha. I only dab it under the zits under my nose...or else I begin sneezing everywhere.

I had exactly the same problem when I tried it years ago. That is the reason why I haven't tried it again. Carrie suggested adding honey to it to keep the aspirin from flaking. I haven't tried it (not much of a DIY person Embarassed ) but it sounds good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Well, it's the next morning after trying the aspirin mask last night and my skin is so soft. My liquid foundation went on like silk. The asprin mask really makes a difference. It seems to slough off the old skin? I had some old blemishes that were flaking on my skin and the flakes came right off. And, I didn't scrub it in, I just let the aspirin sit on my face and rinsed with warm water. I wish I could use it every night!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Tia R wrote:
MystyPines wrote:

I had exactly the same problem when I tried it years ago. That is the reason why I haven't tried it again. Carrie suggested adding honey to it to keep the aspirin from flaking. I haven't tried it (not much of a DIY person Embarassed ) but it sounds good.
FYI - mixing it with honey, yogurt or aloe vera gel will “bind” it so that it can’t flake off and make you sneeze.

thatgirl wrote:
I went and bought the pills and aloe vera tonight! How much do I use of each? Do I make enough for a one time use or several usages.....
Either way. Some prefer to mix up a large batch and keep it in an airtight container, which is what I do. Others like to make it fresh each time.

If you’re making it fresh each time, it would be no more than 3 aspirin, 3 drops of water (*really* -- it doesn’t take much to dissolve it!) and – if desired – a couple drops of honey or aloe gel: first dissolve the aspirin in the water, than add the honey or aloe and mix it up a bit before applying to your face.

thatgirl wrote:
Carekate....I just started using the "Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash 60 Second Mask Scrub" a couple of times a week. Can I use both types of masks or not? Should I use one at the beginning of the week and use the other one like three days later? I started using this because it is supposed to clear up and prevent acne.
Honestly, I don’t think you need to use both. It won’t HURT anything to alternate the Neutrogena Mask with the aspirin mask as you described above, but they both work exactly the same way. In fact, I bet if you checked the ingredients of the Neutrogena thing, the primary active ingredient will be salicylic acid, which is what the aspirin mask actually is! The homemade aspirin mask is just a simpler, cheaper way of doing it. Mostly with these types of products, you are paying for the convenience of having everything pre-mixed and pre-packaged, but that’s just my opinion. Personally, if it were me, I’d take the Neutrogena mask back to the store for a refund or exchange it for some new ‘drugstore’ lip gloss or nail polish or something!

MystyPines wrote:
...the asprin mask really makes a difference. It seems to slough off the old skin?
I think you might find this interesting, regarding the differences between AHAs and BHAs and what the benefits are between salicylic acid vs. glycolic acid, etc. This info is posted on pg 14 of the “~~~ DIY Skincare Recipes ~~~” sticky thread, but here’s the lowdown again:

carekate wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Introduction to AHAs/BHAs, 101:

Glycolic Acid
----------------------
Glycolic acid is the most popular alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA). It can exfoliate skin cells by breaking down the “glue” that holds skin cells together. Along with lactic acid, glycolic acid is an effective and well-researched AHA.

For your own quick, cheap and effective glycolic acid mask, mix a tablespoon of white (granulated) sugar or brown sugar with a bit of honey or your favorite oil (i.e.: grapeseed, jojoba, Vitamin-E, avocado, etc.) and apply to your face. Leave on 7-10 minutes, then wet fingertips and massage mask onto face, rewetting your fingertips frequently, then rinse face with lukewarm water.

Lactic Acid
---------------------
Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that exfoliates cells on the surface of skin by breaking down the substance that holds skin cells together. It may irritate mucous membranes and/or cause irritation if used in concentrations that are too strong. It is also used to hydrate and smooth dry, flaking skin.

For your own quick, cheap and effective lactic acid mask, here is a recipe posted by “IndianT” on the Essential Day Spa forum:

• 1 tablespoon milk
• ½ tablespoon yogurt (or 5 drops of lemon juice)
• 2-3 drops of olive or almond oil
• ½ tablespoon of orange peel powder (or cornmeal)

Mix ingredients together and apply to freshly cleansed face. Leave mask on for no longer than five minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Salicylic Acid
---------------------

Salicylic Acid is a beta hydroxy acid derived from the bark of the willow tree. Beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) are a larger molecule than their cousin, alpha hydroxy acids. The larger molecule size keeps the beta hydroxy acid on the surface of the skin allowing it to more effectively penetrate and exfoliate within the pore.

This action within the pores makes this BHA an ideal exfoliant for use on acne and acne-prone skin. The larger molecule size of salicylic acid produces less irritation than AHAs, making it a welcome alternative for those with sensitive skin.

Salicylic acid is best used on acne-prone and/or sensitive skin and the pore-cleansing properties of it make it a more effective comedone (i.e.: pore-clogging) fighter. Those with sensitive skin who cannot tolerate AHAs may find that they are able to use salicylic acid with good results.

However, alpha hydroxy acid’s penetration into the deeper layers of the skin produce better anti-wrinkle and anti-aging benefits. BHA acids have the ability to penetrate into the pore (AHAs do not), and thus can exfoliate inside the pore as well as on the surface of the skin which makes it especially effective for reducing blemishes, including blackheads and milia (aka: whiteheads).

As an exfoliant, salicylic acid can actually increase the benefits of other therapies used in conjunction with it, however care should be taken to watch skin for signs of excessive irritation. If irritation occurs, then it would be a good idea to either decrease the frequency of use or else refrain from combining it with other therapies.

For your own cheap and quick salicylic acid mask, dissolve 2-3 uncoated aspirin in water and apply to your face. Leave on 10-15 minutes, then wet fingertips and massage mask onto face, re-wetting your fingertips frequently, then rinse with lukewarm water. If desired, a dollop of honey, aloe vera gel or your fave oil can be mixed with the dissolved aspirin mixture to “bind” it so that aspirin flakes do not shower down as the mask begins to dry.

Citric Acid
---------------------
Citric Acid is derived from citrus and used primarily to adjust the PH level of products to prevent them from being too alkaline or acidic. It is also a mild preservative and sequestering agent.

The above recipe from IndianT also contains citric acid in the form of lemon juice and/or orange peel.

MystyPines wrote:
I wish I could use it every night!
Remember, some people *can* use it everyday without problems. Why don’t you start out by doing it every other night and see if your skin likes it. If it doesn’t give you any excessive drying, you can try it nightly.

One thing: in my aspirin mask variation (Dr. Holland’s Super Brightening Super Sonic Facial Mask – see pg 13 of the DIY Skincare Recipes thread for details), I add a couple drops of jojoba oil along with the honey, and both of these seem to “counteract” any excessive dryness that could be caused from using my mask every day, so you might try experimenting with adding other ingredients to the basic water and aspirin.

HTH,
Carrie

P.S. I just realized that I have surpassed the “2000 posts” milestone. Does this mean that I’m the 2nd most prolific poster behind Mabsy?! Oooh, do I get some kind of award certificate or ceremony! Wink Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I am confused...

When I first do it for five minutes like Carekate said, am I rubbing it the whole time or do I just let it set on my face?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
It's a mask hon - you just let it set. The amount of time it takes to dry will vary depending on what you add into it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I checked my Neutrogena mask and it does NOT have salicylic acid in it.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
carekate:

P.S. I just realized that I have surpassed the “2000 posts” milestone. Does this mean that I’m the 2nd most prolific poster behind Mabsy?! Oooh, do I get some kind of award certificate or ceremony!

Thanks for all the great information Carekate!

CareKate, In Honor of you and the great wealth of wisdom you have bestowed upon the Forum and your excellence in exceeding 2000 posts, we dub you the "Grand Poo Baa" of the the Forum! (I think Grand Poo Baa is from the Flinstones cartoon if anyone remembers that?)

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |