Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Zinc Supplement
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
I heard many good reviews about zinc supplement here so I decided to try it myself. I saw the label on the zinc supplement saying that some are derived from Sulphate and some are from Gluconate..... So which one is better? And are they the same? Anyway, if anyone knows the difference, pls let me know, thanks! Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:36 am      Reply with quote
This got me wondering too : , I found this article:

"Zinc gluconate and zinc sulphate as dietary zinc sources for Atlantic salmon
Amund Maage, Kaare Julshamn & Gerd Eikeland Berge

Different chemical forms of essential minerals and trace elements supplemented to feed may show different bioavailability in fish. The present experiment was performed to compare an organic zinc form (Zn-gluconate) with zinc sulphate as dietary zinc sources for Atlantic salmon. Triplicate groups of fish were fed commercial fish meal based diets supplemented with either a low zinc level (50 mg Zn kg-1) or medium zinc level (180 mg Zn kg-1) as zinc gluconate or zinc sulphate for 6 months. Growth, mortality and feed conversion were recorded through the experiment. Fish were sampled initially and every month for zinc status analyses measured as whole-body zinc concentration. After 4 and 6 months, vertebral zinc concentration was measured and serum zinc was analysed at the end of the experiment. There were no differences in growth or mortality during the experiment. The results showed a significant effect of dietary zinc supplementation level on zinc status in fish for both zinc forms. However, there were no differences in zinc status between groups given different zinc forms. In conclusion, the present experiment showed that zinc sulphate and zinc gluconate are equally efficient as zinc supplements in salmon feeds within the concentrations normally found in salmon feed."

I will try to find what is the actual difference, it must be somewhere.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rosebud for the article^^ If the article stated that there is no difference in the two different zinc forms (gluconate and sulphate), then I guess it doesn't matter which one to take? I'm starting to take the Sulphate Zinc form (23.6 mg) cuz it's a bit cheaper...I'll see if it's gonna make a difference in my skin or not.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
If this is for acne, In the 5th edition of Nutritional Almanac it says for Acne take "Zinc - 30 mg two or three times daily for several months, reduce to once daily, has been found to be as effective as oral antibiotics; use a more absorbable form such as gluconate for maximum effectiveness."

Hope this helps. Smile
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Cloe! This is for acne but mine is very mild and it's more due to hormonal breakouts. Do you think zinc supplement will work the same too?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Cloe if it's possible would you be able to give me further details of that Nutritional Almanac book, the cat was sick all over my only nuitrition book and I have been meaning to look for a replacement.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy- I can't say for sure but I do think it's a strong possibility that it will help you. Since it's just a vitamin, it can't hurt unless you take too much. In the book it says not to take more than 100 mg. daily.

You don't have anything to lose by trying it and in doing so you'll boost your immune system and fight against free radicals too. Smile

Rosebud- the copy I have is Nutrition Almanac 5th edition by Lavon J. Dunne Copyright 2002
ISBN 0-07-137338-1
There may be a more current copy available

This book is great because it is food based even though it also recommends herbs, aromatherapy, homeopathy, etc. for specific ailments. One of the things I really like about it is, it has a large section that lists all whole foods and gives an analysis of their nutrients (how many cal., prot., carbs., vitamins, minerals, etc.)

I also like Healthy Healing by Linda G. Rector-Page, N.D., Ph.D. and Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.

If you'd like more info just let me know. Smile
eSquire415
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
This is the best type of zinc.
http://www.vitacost.com/NSILOptizinc

Here's a guy who used zinc but he uses the picolinate, rather than the sulphate or gluconate kinds.
http://gmuntz.tripod.com/zinc.html

Here is more info:
http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/index.html
http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/zinc-acne.html
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Ency/Index.cfm/Id/1002007
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Just curious if you tried any of those acne treatments. Especially this one http://acneyoda.com/a/buy_now.php which is at the bottom of this page http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/index.html

I'm always so leary of a such a hard sell. It just sounds way too good to be true. Not talking

I'd love to hear from someone who bought and used this. If it really works, there would be a lot of very happy EDS members.
Syr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Keep in mind this:

Zinc blocks the absorption and enhances the excretion of copper when taken over time. So, when zinc is recommended long term (over many months) for any condition--from arthritis to prostate problems or even Alzheimer's--it's important to get some copper as well. A combination product will help prevent a copper deficiency and the anemia that can develop as a result.

As a rule of thumb, every 30 mg of zinc needs to be balanced by 2 mg of copper. Interestingly, high-quality zinc products will automatically provide the extra copper.

I'm male and I often take zinc supplements for general health and this is the product I use (1 or 2 caps):
http://www.aor.ca/products/zinc-copper_balance.php
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Cloe thankyou Very Happy
I'm going to have a look on Amazon, this one may be worth investing in Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud, you're welcome. Happy to help Very Happy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Is 20mg still effective for the skin? I looked in about 6 shops today and 20mg was the highest I could find! I could only find 1 zinc gluconate too,they must be hard to come by in Australia.
Thanks Very Happy
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Is 20mg still effective for the skin? I looked in about 6 shops today and 20mg was the highest I could find!

Carolb69,

You could take 20 mg. 3 or 4 times a day. Just don't go over 100 mg. and you should be fine. The one I have is 15 mg.

I think it's better to have the lower dose and spread it out over the day so it stays in your body and gives you the maximum effect. Remember, stress depletes the vitamins in your body at a much faster rate. So if you take it throughout the day it would be better. HTH Very Happy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:42 am      Reply with quote
I couldnt find a supplement that incudes copper in it,I'm a bit worried about getting a copper deficiency and my multi dosent have much copper in it.
Does anyone know of a zinc-copper formula that I can purchase?
Thanks
jehjahlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
You could look at Swanson's catalog for a supplement that supplies both zinc and copper plus other essential minerals, and yes, copper and zinc need to be balanced, as mentioned, so I would say that if you can't find a combo of both, you can pick up a copper supplement on its own to take, but remember that all vitamins and minerals, etc. work synergistically, so in order to really get the benefit of any supplement, you need to take them all. Vitamin A also helps as well as fish oils and essential oils for the skin. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |