Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Talika Eye Detox Contour Gel (1.8 ml / .063 oz - 30 applications) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta 14 Day Challenge - Original Formula (2 items) Orlane Special Price, Super-Moisturizing Light Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Can spirulina help with problem skin?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Peggotty,

I can't speak to what everyone else takes/consumes but here from the previous page are what is in the 2 caps that I take and no way could I eat all that's in them daily even if I could find some ingredients! Smile

Here is a partial listing of what is in the "Perfect Food" I take: 

Ingredients 
Daily Intake of Perfect Food Supplies the Equivalent of 5-10 Servings of Vegetables 

Contains Over 45 Nutrient-Rich Superfoods including: 
Green Superfoods: Wheat Grass Juice*, Barley Grass Juice*, Rye Grass Juice*, Oat Grass Juice*, Alfalfa Grass Juice*, Spirulina, Chlorella, Dunaliella, Kelp, Dulse and other Sea Vegetables (Gluten free) Vegetables: Carrot Juice*, Beet Juice*, Tomato Juice*, Sweet Potato*, Broccoli*, Kale*, Cabbage*, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Parsley*, Spinach*, Asparagus*, Celery*, Cucumber, Green Pepper*, Garlic, Ginger* and Onion Grains and Seeds: Flax Seeds*, Sesame Seeds*, Sunflower Seeds*, Pumpkin Seeds*, Chia Seeds* Garbanzo Beans*, Red Lentils*, Soy Beans*, Kidney Beans*, Azuki Beans*, Millet*, Brown Rice*, Maize* and Buckwheat* (All Fermented and Gluten Free) 
Acerola Cherry: Nature's richest source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a premier antioxidant and important for overall health of the immune system. 
* Certified Organic

Another one by the same company that I take.

Radical Fruits® is an antioxidant complex that helps neutralize free radicals and protects against oxidative stress in the body.* It is a 100% natural blend of 10 antioxidant-rich fruits that support overall health.* Ingredients in Radical Fruits are carefully selected to ensure a high concentration of antioxidants.

Radical Fruits® is a powerful antioxidant formula that helps neutralize free radicals and protects the body against oxidative stress.*

Each serving (2 caplets) of Radical Fruits® provides an ORAC* value of over 6,000 TE, which is equivalent to 3 servings of fruits.
Each organic fruit has been carefully selected and freeze-dried, a gentle process that allows the fruit to maintain its nutrient content. Evidence suggests that freeze-dried fruits may contain a higher content of antioxidants compared with products that have been dried by conventional hot air methods.
Radical Fruits® is an antioxidant complex that helps neutralize free radicals and protects against oxidative stress in the body.* It is a 100% natural blend of 10 antioxidant-rich fruits that support overall health.* Ingredients in Radical Fruits are carefully selected to ensure a high concentration of antioxidants.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/FoundationalNutrition/RadicalFruits/tabid/656/Default.aspx

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Got it. Thanks! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Peggotty wrote:
Got it. Thanks! Very Happy

No problem, I am sure you see why I said I couldn't possibly eat all of that on a daily basis! LOL Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
No problem, I am sure you see why I said I couldn't possibly eat all of that on a daily basis! LOL Smile

See this is what I don't get about supplements - if you possibly couldn't eat all of that, is it really necessary to have it all? Isn't there an element of over compensation?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

See this is what I don't get about supplements - if you possibly couldn't eat all of that, is it really necessary to have it all? Isn't there an element of over compensation?

The truth I started taking them along with my son so he didn't feel like odd man out, in his case they did help and gave him nutrients he would be lacking due to a very serious health issue that not only causes food to run right through him, but also prevents proper absorption of nutrients as a part of the disease. Anything that helps him works for me! Do I need to take all of this, I can't really say, as a mom we do what we feel will help our kids! By the way he is very thin naturally and when he gets ill (in flair) he has dropped to 105 at 5-9, so my situation is quite unique!

DM

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
OK, just to serve my vanity. Has anyone seen a reduction in wrinkles, improved texture, smaller pores, reduced pigmentation or glowing, dewy skin from taking spirulina? Weight loss anyone?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Tonia,
My skin is definetely smoother..i would suspect this has to do with smaller pores, but i've never considered it from that angle...more luminous when I take spirulina daily i don't have less wrinkles..but it looks like less..if one isn't really looking with their eyes right against my face... cause my whole facial appearance is smoother)...but this is in addition to the raw diet that i normally eat..would love to hear from someone eating a healthy, but more standard, diet as to how spirulina effects their skin.

66 , living(raw) food 30 years, botanical oils, several facial exercise programs & massage techniques & acupressure & shiatsu techniques for face and body, energy skincare like Ageless Secret and several ormus products used internally and externally, love vaculifter, ocm, occasional face brushing, clarisonic as needed.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I just started the 2 T a day of spirulina and I'm going to get the pure planet barley. Also have added chlorella.

Aside from these types of thing my diet is more of a standard. I eat some meat, eggs and cooked foods. Also like raw foods (smoothies). I'll let y'all know if I start seeing some changes. I expect I should.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets,
1 appreciated your response to my heartfelt acknowledgement of the Health Force brand.
No time to respond to your question, now, about what i take from that brand..but wil respond later in the day.

I am very interested to see how the spirulina (along with the other green powders) effects you skin.

66 , living(raw) food 30 years, botanical oils, several facial exercise programs & massage techniques & acupressure & shiatsu techniques for face and body, energy skincare like Ageless Secret and several ormus products used internally and externally, love vaculifter, ocm, occasional face brushing, clarisonic as needed.
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Greens + has 2 flavored brands: Wild Berry and Orange flavors. It does NOT taste bad at all. I don't know if it contains Spirulina but I know it contains Chlorella. It's a Green superfoods, fruit extracts with acai, pomegranate and goji. I dissolve it in water and a bit of juice. Whole Foods was giving samples. It's $40. at WF but $23. at www.Vitacost.com
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
OK, just to serve my vanity. Has anyone seen a reduction in wrinkles, improved texture, smaller pores, reduced pigmentation or glowing, dewy skin from taking spirulina? Weight loss anyone?

I have used green drinks for years and more recently spirulina for a nutritional boost. I don't take it specifically for my skin but it noticably improved my skin tone. I quess you could call it a bit more glowing.
I wouldn't be looking at spirulina for lessening of wrinkles or for smaller pores though, Retin A is the answer for that. IMHO

ETA skin being more luminous like jasminerosy said is a good way to describe what I have noticed.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Peggotty - I always do the powdered forms of almost anything if it's available that way. I think Jasminerosey is the same. Some don't like the taste of some of the sea vegetables so will do the compressed capsule form. YOu need to take a lot that way though and it is quite a bit more costly.
One of the benefits of the powder is I drink all the more water Very Happy .
Be sure whatever you choose has no fillers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
For the price and the number of tablets I get a lot more than just one ingredient so you can't really compare. I drink plenty of water anyway so I don't see the great advantage in the powdered forms. Smile

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have been drinking green drinks for years. The one I drink is mainly barley and wheat juice. I have always read that people see a difference in their skin but I haven't. I bought the Spirulina and Chlorella expecting it to be similar. Boy was I wrong. Anything that tastes that bad has to be good for you. To my surprise, I'm getting used to the taste. I am already drinking it more easily.

Sis, tonight, my husband asked me what I was drinking and I told him I was drinking swamp juice. Laughing What a great description.

Thanks to all for your responses.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,

I give you credit for being able to acclimate to the flavor, I just can't get it down myself! More power to you! Smile

DM

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a week into my new "spirulina routine", I've started off lightly only taking three caps a day, I've had a couple of spots but they're clearing up nicely so I'm hoping it's just bad stuff coming out.

I'm also combining that with a spirulina cream that I use as a night cream.

So it's a bit early to say much, but I'll report back again shortly.

Seen that other people are also giving it a try, would love to hear about your results, if any..., too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have only been doing this for 9 days and my skin has improved. The texture is smoother, more luminous, and my melasma has lightened significantly. My skin tone has evened out in texture and color. I am also taking MSM with BioSil. I was taking that before starting the spirulina and chlorella. I was seeing moderate results from the MSM and BioSil but have seen the biggest improvement since starting the spirulina and chlorella. My wrinkles have diminished too. I find it hard to believe that a person can get these kind of results that fast from something so simple, so I'm interested to see if anyone else has these kind of results as well. Maybe some of the other things I've been doing for months are hitting all at the same time. I almost hope it's not the spirulina because I gag every time I take it. The OJ trick helps but not enough. I still can't stand the stuff. I'm going to have to switch to the pills if I keep this up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't start off slowly. I dove in full force with the idea that I could back off if I needed to. I never had any detox symptoms so I have kept it up.

I am taking:

1 TBS Spirulina 2 times per day
3 1000mg chlorella pills 2 times per day
2000mg MSM 2 times per day
5 drops of BioSil 2 times per day

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,

Your post regarding gaging is why I stick with the caps, after 4 full term pregnancies ("morning sickness") all day and night the entire time with all! If it makes me gag or feel queasy I just as soon pass and take the less nauseating way out! Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I didn't start off slowly. I dove in full force with the idea that I could back off if I needed to. I never had any detox symptoms so I have kept it up.

I am taking:

1 TBS Spirulina 2 times per day
3 1000mg chlorella pills 2 times per day
2000mg MSM 2 times per day
5 drops of BioSil 2 times per day

Tonia - Hey there.... This is similar to what I do. I'm so excited about it. Just want to add more! I didnt go slowly either but Ive been at all of this in one way or another for a long time. I think all of the detox etc depends upon your baseline level when you start.

You are a smoothie girl, right? I also have a huge green smoothie and other supplements. As soon as the supplements finish I'm going to leave it to the green stuff! (except for Hyaluronic acid - that really gives a wonderful plump to the lips and I love it! Vanity at work I guess). Also I have added Barley grass and I'm going to do the marshmallow that JasmineR suggested.

Dm -I've done the green drink and berry path in various forms for a long time and it's a great addendum to a standard diet. Certainly better than most people so good going.

It's amazing the array of selection of green powder and berry powder out there now - never used to be that way. I started with Barlays greens way back before it was popular. (I would love to hear Jasminerosy's story) I'm astounded at how this market has caught on to the masses. Some of my first year Nutrition students use these and the berry types and they are very young.

Anyone who wants to check out taking a green supplement powder I suggest go to Iherb and do a search. You will find tons. A good choice is Greens First but there a million others that are super. Just do it! Very simple for a lot of nutrition. I love all the Madre Labs products. Sometimes they are on special.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
For years I have been taking a powder supplement called Tonic Alchemy that contains spirulina plus
71 individual superfoods:
http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=686
that I add one small scoop of to my OJ every morning. When I drink it daily, my skin is always more glowing and i have more energy.
I have just re-ordered my 15th container on its way.
I got my son and husbands Ear, Nose and Throat and Sinus doc hooked on it too. I gave him a jar as a thank you after their tonsil and nose surgeries a few years ago. He ordered it for his whole staff and the break room and they all drink a glass every morning to this day. He said it cuts down on illnesses for them and he won't start a day without it.
I haven't had the flu or a cold in years. But I am huge on supplements, not just any, but Dragon Herbs in particular. They are the herbalist to the stars and have been touted worldwide for their combination of tonics for all ailments. My son and hubby are currently on their liver tonic as well.
If I had tone of money, I would order all kinds of combos from them I am sure. This is the only one I take other than their acai and goji berries but I have had many samples of their stuff thru the years and when faced with a particular concern, might order something tailor made.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Sis, yes, I'm a green smoothie girl and I've been taking greens for years. This is the first time I've ever taken straight spirulina and chlorella. I have stopped taking my other supplements too because I don't think I need them anymore. The greens I was taking before had spirulina in it but it must have been very small quantities because I liked the taste. Laughing I take chia seeds too.

BTW, I started the green smoothies in August and I haven't gotten sick this winter. I usually get sick several times every winter but not this year. It's wonderful how much I've learned from this forum.

AnnieR, that green powder looks really good! It's got a lot of good things in it and the surpising part is, it has good quantities of them. Most blends have such small quantities of each item that you don't get enough of it. Thank you for the link.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Tonia and Sistersweets,

What type of green drinks do you drink?

Right now, I have the individual Greens + packets that I mix with water that I LOVE. I mix them with water, ice (if it needs it, I like them cold), lemon, and eat it with blueberries or strawberries.

They're great, but I want more packets or something even stronger. They're expensive. You're supposed to have 3 packets with 8 oz of water, but they'd never last if I did that, so I'll have 1-2 packets in 16 oz of water.

What is the best type of spuirlina and chorella?
I also have Brewer's Yeast. Would that help anything?

I want to go green smoothie all the way- even more!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:34 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
For years I have been taking a powder supplement called Tonic Alchemy that contains spirulina plus
71 individual superfoods:
http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=686
that I add one small scoop of to my OJ every morning. When I drink it daily, my skin is always more glowing and i have more energy.
I have just re-ordered my 15th container on its way.
I got my son and husbands Ear, Nose and Throat and Sinus doc hooked on it too. I gave him a jar as a thank you after their tonsil and nose surgeries a few years ago. He ordered it for his whole staff and the break room and they all drink a glass every morning to this day. He said it cuts down on illnesses for them and he won't start a day without it.
I haven't had the flu or a cold in years. But I am huge on supplements, not just any, but Dragon Herbs in particular. They are the herbalist to the stars and have been touted worldwide for their combination of tonics for all ailments. My son and hubby are currently on their liver tonic as well.
If I had tone of money, I would order all kinds of combos from them I am sure. This is the only one I take other than their acai and goji berries but I have had many samples of their stuff thru the years and when faced with a particular concern, might order something tailor made.

Hi Annie - this product does hit a wide range. I was especially impressed with the sprouts, tonic mushrooms and probiotically fermented foods. I agree with Tonia, usually these powder blends don't have the levels of many of the nutrients. Yours sounds great in lots of ways. What is the number of servings per canister? Thanks. Smile
It is costly, but I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Tonia - That's my goal too - to decrease almost any other supplementation. I've cooked macrobiotically for years and love many vegan dishes. Also I like turkey on Thanksgiving and like to cook a big standard dinner on Sundays. Laughing I'm big on moderation but my goal is to up the bar even more. Fortunately I've always loved fruits and vegetables and don't care for chocolate much or ice cream, cakes, etc. So adding sea vegetables, etc is so far an easy and enjoyable transition.

I think spirulina is a miracle food. I also add ground flax to smoothies and take a big scoop of the Chia seeds in water. I Love them! Don't you?
I really think this way of eating gives the best energy, keeps the body slim and trim, and the face glowing. I'm so happy with it.

Skitahoe - Green smoothies are a great way to get fresh vegetables and fruits into your diet. They are very tasty too Very Happy Check out the Green Smoothie thread. You'll love it.

What Tonia and I are into now is we use a powdered spirulina which you can buy in a big canister (Pure Planet brand is my next buy). Also chlorella in powder form. These are sea vegetables and have terrific health and healing properties. We combine them with about 8 oz or more of water and drink them two or three times a day. Keep spirulina in the freezer to prevent from turning rancid. (tip from Jasminerosy - thanks JR).
Check out this website: Thechlorellafactor.com

Other things like Barley grass are also great for you.

Also it looks like the product mentioned by Annie is a super good all-encompassing green drink. Tonic Alchemy (I even like the name).

I've never used brewer's yeast but I know many who do.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Skitahoe,

You can read about the benefits of Brewers Yeast it has probiotic properties as well as other benefits. Smile

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463265

HTH
DM

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) Bioelements Urban Detox (29 ml / 1 floz) Orlane Special Price, Super-Moisturizing Light Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)