Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this over on another thread and decided it needed a thread of it's own.
I am going through something related to diet change that is next to amazing in regards to the difference in my face. I have been doing facial exercises for over two years and have had dramatic improvement. I haven't had a bad diet but it didn't include the abundance of veggies that it should have. Three weeks ago I started making green smoothies and starting this week I have been floored with the change in my face. I have struggled with some sag in the lower face area and within three weeks it is gone Shock Now it is not fat loss because I am thin already and do not desire any weight loss. What seems to have happened is a total detox that has flushed out issues in my face. I thought I was experiencing aging sag when it was diet related Embarassed No one could be more shocked than me because I don't retain fluids or have any issues with foods that I am aware of. Please if you are struggling with your face don't over look the nutritional aspects like I have for the past three years!!!You might be pleasantly surprised just what a change of diet could do for your face....not to mention the rest of your body. So let's not forget how important sleep, exercise, and now for me green smoothies in my diet!!! Imagine this smoothie is GREENImageImageImage

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think many will agree that the BEST book on smoothies (or at least in the top 3) is

Green for Life http://www.greenforlife.com/

The explanation as to why they are actually so important is stellar.

My fave smoothie mix (I make for my 4 y/o's and myself

Fave Green Smoothie Mix

Loosly pack blender with spinach (RAW, I like baby, organic), banana, 1 small orange, and about 1 cup water. Blend until liquid. Add frozen fruit. Pineapple, Mango, Peaches. Add fruit slowly so not to bog down your motor... but KNOW that you can keep adding it until you have a wonderful soft serve ice cream as well.

Fruits with seeds can leave a bit of texture... But if you don't mind some seeds go for it. (Strawberries, raspberries, and blueberry skin can be weird.)

I've recently gotten into a Pina Colada Smoothie...

Pina Colada Smoothie

Same basic spinach base, + pineapple and Mango only and 1 tsp of Extra Virgin Coconut oil...

DELISH!

Strawberry Lime Sparkler

And when I need a "soda", something sparkling on a hot sunny day. Blend one whole lime a bit of water and frozen strawberries. Pour the bottom 1/4 of a glass with this. Pour sparkling water over the top! Add stevia for sweetener if you must.

I don't particularly care for cold savory smoothies (as I would really only like a v-8 and can't mimic it well enough.)

HOWEVER, I make lots of soups...

Broccolli - Steam 1 lb frozen Brocolli, Put in blender with 1 cup or so, chicken or vege broth, you can use some of the brocolli water too! Return to empty stock pot, stir in a bit of milk (or sub), salt and pepper to taste, grate a bit (1 oz tops) cheddar cheese.

You can use, roasted squash for this, or steamed or perhaps even grilled asparagus. Roasted veges of choice really.

I make mushroom soup, or gravy (pretty much the same as soup just thicker) for mashed potatoes,cauliflower,turnips...

I'm not a raw foodist.... or a vegan. So substitute however you see fit.

Oh... and on the front of fruit. Although I don't recommend this if you're cutting back on sugar. You can blend room temp fruit with a tiny bit of agave nectar, pour out on a non stick, pam (or oil of choice) sprayed cookie sheet. Put in an oven (mine is convection) at 170* for about an hour or so... and you have SPECTACULAR fruit leather... the kids will love it!

My goal is to make smoothies daily... that can be a challenge sometimes... But I think it would do nothing but nourish and cleanse the body from the inside out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Claudia so glad you got the ball rolling....I am a novice with the smoothies and my hope is that that those of you that haven't tried the smoothies will jump on board with me and those that are veterans like Claudia will also join in and help us out Very Happy
This is how I got started.......

I started with a blender L equip 228 and I got it for 89.00 from Ruby's Deals with price grabbers. It is an outstanding blender and is one horsepower. It will blend things in a second, and has a 6 year warranty. When I went on vacation to visit my son in Tampa we went to Costco and saw a demo of Blendtec and both of us caved in . I am selling my L equip 228 to my best friend and to be honest in many ways it is a better blender but the Blendtec is slightly bigger and has more bells and whistles. I am getting my husband hooked so a slightly larger blender is good. I know a lot of people have a Vitamix and really love it.As you think about all this realize the only green veggies I really like are green beans and broccoli, I wouldn't have touched spinach or avacodo with a ten foot pole!! Also every time someone posted about green smoothies on a forum I skipped over it... I guess the results I am seeing has made me wonder why I didn't at least give it a try sooner!!!! Now my two favorite recipes are as follows:

Dr. OZ green smoothie

•1 lemon 1/2 cup parsley,
•chopped 1 rib of celery
•2 big handfuls of Spinach
•1 pince of peeled ginger
•1 medium cucumber
•2 apples preferred amount of ice cubes (which is of course, optional)
I add stevia to taste(several teaspoons)

(When I frist drank this all I could think about was the only green drink I was used to drinking was a lime daiquiri)This one has punch but in a different way!!
and my special is a Blueberry smoothie(my afternoon treat)
1 1/2 cups blueberries
I/2 of an avocado(small dark one)
acai powder(up to you on the amount)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup ice
stevia to taste

I don't do fruit smoothies with high glycemic fruits...too much sugar and can lead to weight gain.
Right now I have to force myself to eat more so I don't lose weight....the smoothies are taking that need to snack away. Also I don't want any sugar or junk which I really don't get into that anyway. But this is the first time in my life I am trying to keep weight on!! It really is a terrific weight loss tool.

If you have a regular blender this is the way to mix the green smoothie 1/4 water, lemon, and spinach...blend this until liquid. Then add chopped cucumber and blend.....then add quartered apples and bend...then ice and stevia.
If you have a one of the blenders that are designed for this you can put it all in and just blend in two min. but a regular blender won't do that.
If someone would have told me this would help sag in the face I would have told them they were crazy but it took three week to see the difference and it happened all the sudden....someone told me it was detoxifying my system.
A good book to read is "Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko and I got it off ebay...hard to find in the bookstores. Also there is a website greensmoothie.com that will show you a demo. There are lots of videos on you tube.
Toby
I just got this in my email...it is a newsletter from a product I use....check out her smoothies
http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001keKzuwtLzrRgmNFFLjzF7CPoFcvPm81gM1Wg7x0_8xAYz-eycNVF-iYAEIJ63AEdxn9dUTyNyxA1IB_KCFuqqUf0ljvzD5XPSd0LTLbJbYvtgJelEEJM7eRXLUJ5c0BIMacT2HUC2Ts%3D

Now that sums up about everything that I know about green smoothies and I welcome others to really get us up and running with this great way to feed our body and enjoy our beautiful skin....

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I joined an organic CSA and have been eating mostly veggies and fruits this summer. I feel great and my skin is glowing:)

I'm going to try the green smoothies. They sound absolutely fantastic. Toby, I'm wildly curious to know your recipe.

oops never mind I see you posted while I was writing.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have little --ok-- nothing to add about green smoothies as I am truly a novice here. But, I wanted to say a big Thank You to Toby for starting a thread on this. I read about your experience on the other thread and my interest was definitely piqued!!

My diet could use a huge change and I know, without a doubt, that my whole being would welcome it! And I would love to see improvement in my skin and face just like you did.

To both Toby and Claudia: Thanks also for posting some recipes; it will definitely help me get started!

I've been working so hard on getting my skin into shape that I think I've developed tunnel vision. I need to take a broader look as to what will help me accomplish my goals, which in my opinion is a holistic approach.

P.S. Started doing some facial exercises a few weeks ago! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:

I just got this in my email...it is a newsletter from a product I use....check out her smoothies
http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001keKzuwtLzrRgmNFFLjzF7CPoFcvPm81gM1Wg7x0_8xAYz-eycNVF-iYAEIJ63AEdxn9dUTyNyxA1IB_KCFuqqUf0ljvzD5XPSd0LTLbJbYvtgJelEEJM7eRXLUJ5c0BIMacT2HUC2Ts%3D

Kimberly's is the green smoothie I make.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 am      Reply with quote
I've been drinking green smoothies everyday for about a month plus now. I havent noticed any difference to my skin. Still get clogged pores, zits etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:40 am      Reply with quote
This is a very good video for teaching you techniques and getting the ideal of how to drink(add some chewing action for saliva) into the process. I haven't tried the smoothie but I love all the tips he gives. http://www.icyou.com/topics/nutrition/running-raw-green-smoothies-tips-techniques+-0

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
I've been drinking green smoothies everyday for about a month plus now. I haven't noticed any difference to my skin. Still get clogged pores, zits etc.

I am certainly no expert here, but looking at your age 22, hormones and other things are coming into play with breakout etc. I am sure you are 100% on track with getting started with good nutrition with the green smoothies. With the issue of breakouts there are other approaches that could be helpful to you. I would suggest for you to do a search because there are numerous threads addressing your problem. I do commend you for being on top of things in establishing a nutritional base. Most people in their 20s don't start with that approach...you are ahead of the game.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Haha thanks. Im still drinking it though even though I dont notice a difference. In addition to that, I eat kefir grains and drink kombucha. I guess Im a pretty healthy person. lol. I suppose it will pay off in the future. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Excellent thread Toby!!! I've been wanting to start trying green smoothies based on Kimberly Snyder's blog.

Last nite I found this thread that has a ton of recipes. I haven't yet tried them but thought I'd post it for ideas.

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264869

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Watch this Video...

It's of Victoria's Son... Oh he is just too cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5LUkeVA6s%26eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawfamily.com%2Fproducts.htm%26feature=player_embedded

And for the Beginner, or little kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQ8aLwq-UA%26feature=related

Some great info!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Greens are great! I'm glad faeriedust also mentioned kombucha. That is something that has made a HUGE difference for me, and I also have acne. An acupuncturist once suggested I drink it and gave me a culture and now I brew it at home. The brand sold at Whole Foods is also really good. The acupuncturist also suggested not eating sugar or foods that had a lot of natural sugar. That is harder to follow, but when I do, the difference in my skin, body, and health is huge.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Toby for starting this thread, and Claudia for all your recipes and experience! I'm still taking teeny-tiny steps, drinking your spinach-banana-orange recipe every other day as this seems to be the only one I don't gag Rolling Eyes . Like I said in the other thread, I'm not too talented when it comes to creativity in the kitchen, so I'll leave the experimenting to you guys Laughing ! Thank you!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan,
I think it is very important to start with our something you really like and then experiment. Claudia mentions using acai powder in her smoothies because one of her twins doesn't like the green look. I tried the acai and it is wonderful. Dr. Oz and Dr. Perricone say this fruit is at the top of the list for all the wonderful things it does for you. Try it in your green smoothie...it rocks! My son and his wife have been doing smoothies since I left their home last week and he called me today and said he just worked out and made a smoothie for energy. He said it is the best thing that he and his wife have done for their health. This is so funny because I he wasn't so Rolling Eyes convinced Rolling Eyes that he would like them or that they would keep it up. He loves the acai powder in his green smoothies...it makes them taste really good and they turn out a grape color.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Toby for starting this thread and Claudia for adding such valuable information.

I tried the OZ drink last year - couldn't handle it and let all enthusiasm fade. I tried a different one today after reading all this information, watching the videos, and following the other entries. I'm really excited about this again.

Just tried my first creation - fresh pineapple, juice of a lemon, a banana, two big handfuls of spinach, and enough water and stevia to make it palatable for me. I Loved it!! No problem in converting me now to this healthy treat. I also enjoyed the recipes for the other food!

Thank you, again, for bringing this to our attention!

Jan

Ps How do I give Toby a heart?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
This is a fabulous thread.. Thanks to Toby + all, for the great input. Just makes me want to toss out my wine glass, and bring on the big ol smoothie glass..

Any recommendations for a great blender to liquify all the goodies? I have a juicer, but would hate to drag it out everyday.. Something to sit on the counter would be a plus, and I actually just might use it..

Rock on green Goddesses!

ImageImageImage

ETA: Jan, you can give Toby a "heart", by hitting the "add a thank you" link, which you'll find above every individual post.. Just go to the relevent post and click on it.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy... I'm pretty sure wine is a fruit!

You really want a powerful blender if it's something you will do regularly. The greens can be really rough on a regular blender...

Toby had gotten this one "L equip 228 and I got it for 89.00" That's probably the cheapest... before you get to the blendtec or a vitamix.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:46 am      Reply with quote
Kassy - I wouldn't give up the wine, just supplement. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Oh Kassy don't toss the wine glass just put the smoothie in it Laughing
This is information on blenders I researched.
The big daddy blenders are Vitamix, Blentec, and Health Master. I have talked to people that own all three and one plus for the Blentec is it fits under the counter. You will see videos with people using all of these. There are people being very successful with regular blenders but they seem to need to cut things up and blend things in slower. I started with a L equip 228 for 89.00( I really searched for that buy) and it is a great one...it is too tall to fit under most counters but it is a great machine. The four I mentioned will blend everything almost instantly. It takes me exactly five minutes to put everything in....blend...then clean the blender. I have things ready in the fig.the night before. Time is critical for me. These prices may vary but it is a good ball park figure.
Price Healthmaster- 200.00(payments possible)shipping is 4-6 weeks
Blendtec -335.00(was on sale somewhere… with free shipping)
Vitamix- around 399.00
Blendtec-89.00 plus shipping(about 10.00 shipping)This is truly the value buy

Also the Healthmaster,Blentec, and Vitamix will blend veggies like tomatoes on a special cycle and it will end of being hot and is soup. This is a benefit because although is hot it hasn’t boiled thus not destroying nutrients. Also you don’t have to heat it up on the stove or microvave. This is the vitamix making soup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8urAvwykdhM
This is the Blentec making soup
http://revver.com/video/179538/chicken-soup/
This is Montel Williams with the healthmaster( Jack LaLanne used to have one…this is new and improved. When I called about it the shipping was 4-6 weeks and I could wait but it does have payment plan. Looking at this video will really get you interested. http://www.montelwilliams.com/videos.html

Have fun checking it out.Image

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Another tip in bringing smoothies in your diet..although serving them in a pretty glass is nice it may not be so practical for busy folks. I bought some containers at Costco and they are fabulous(20.00 for two)...should have gotten more. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/915555/
The reason I am crazy about them is they are stainless steel, keep the smoothie icy, and fit perfect in any cup holder in a car. Also the mouth of the container is about 1 1/2" which is perfect for a smoothie and the top is a screw on that is very secure. I saw some on ebay that are similar. Another thing they are easy to clean.This is a better picture of the bottles on ebay...make sure to scroll down and see them out of the box.go to ebay and put in this item number 350234278244

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I have the Vitamix and tho pricey I use it for a lot of things - the green smoothie (most recently) but also frozen yogurt using only yogurt, frozen organic fruit from Costco, and sweetener. I have ground grains in it and made soup from fresh vegetables (as mentioned by Toby). I'm sure all that she listed are good - just depends on how versatile you would want them to be. On the downside, the Vitamix is a little tall and does not fit on my counter-top so I just leave it out on the island when using it daily.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:52 am      Reply with quote
So I made Kimberly Snyder's green smoothie last nite and had my first glass at breakfast. It was a little thick and kind of blah IMO. Any ideas?

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I also have Vitamix for the past 6 years and use it daily - mostly for morning smoothies. Eben though it was very expensive it was by far one of the best kitchen tool I have ever bought.

I also wanted to mention that there is some concern about using metal containers with acidic products (most stainless steel products contain nickel), and there are some scientists who do not recommend it(tomatoes, lemons, etc.). I take my shake in either glass or special plastic containers that do not outgas.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm all about my vitamix too... Fortunately for me... whoever put the cabinets in my kitchen was a bit clueless about appropriate height... mine lives under there... but I always put the stick in first, THEN the lid for storage... (if you only need an inch that will work)

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |