Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

::Review:: Astara Daily Refining Exfoliating Scrub
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Houston we have a.... winner! We have a problem too because I am so loving this face scrub right now and I have way too many to be able to justify another purchase Sad

I had a sample of this lying around and I used it last night as I was having one of those ultra-relaxing Candessence baths Wink This scrub smells *so* refreshing and *so* gorgeous , and is *so* finely grained that it was like at first use really. At first I thought that it was going to be quite rough but seeing how long I massaged it in for (it was just so nice I couldn't stop!) and seeing as my face was just super smooth and not at all irritated I would have to say that this is very gentle yet *very* effective at the same time

The packaging says that it can be used as microdermabrasion if you use it on dry skin. I opted to use it on a wet face yesterday but I can see how it could have the microdermabrasion effect when used on dry skin due to its texture. I still have some of the sample left so I will try the dry skin approach in a few days.

This is definitely on the list for my next EDS order! I was expecting this to be quite $$$ but I just happily found out that it's about CAD$30. Yay me! Smile
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Do you like it more than your beloved Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant???

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Yaaaay! I have a sample of this too, so will try it tonite. Sounds wonderful! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, Mabsy, terrific product!

I've been using this, along with the Blue Flame, since around... oooh, 2001? I got on the bandwagon back when Makeupalley people talked about both 24-7 and haven't looked back since.

I love the smell and the really finely grained texture which completely belies the amazing smoothing action it has.

More cheers for the daily refining scrub!!!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 am      Reply with quote
MACrisis - I can't really compare the two as they are different in terms of how they work. I like both Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Agave - this has been around 2001 and I wasn't told!? Not happy! Laughing It's really great stuff, I can see why you have stuck with it for so long!
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
OK, I used my sample of this last nite, and since Mabsy used hers on wet skin, thought I'd use it on dry. I scrubbed gently for a few minutes and then added a small amount of water and kind of scrubbed-rinsed. It does smell wonderful and my face was soooo smooth after and it left a nice "glow". I may have to purchase this when I'm finished the two I have have. Great Product!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Great thanks for the review, I've been wanting to try this scrub for a while, but wasn't 100% sure seeing as the MUA reviews weren't that great.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Do Astara products contain parabens or anything along those lines?
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Not from the products I have seen they dont. This is the list from the EDS page:

Ingredients:
Fine Diatomaceous Earth (silica from the ocean floor); Infusion of Calendula, Basil, Chamomile, Comfrey, Linden Flower, Rose, Lavender; Aloe Vera Gel; Hawaiian Seaplant Extract; Papaya Extract; Vegetable Glycerin; Sodium P.C.A.; Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E); Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C); Essential oils of Pink Grapefruit, Bergamot, Tangerine, Lemon, and Lavender.

Mabsy, this product is on the list for DH to use in replacement of the Juice Beauty daily scrub (he decided it was a bit thick and became impossible to get out of the pump with about 1/6 left and he tossed it Shock ). So it will be double yay for me.. when I want a change I can just use this!

I notice for drier skins they recommend use a blend of 50% daily exfoliant and 50% cleansing gelee ....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Lucinda wrote:
Do Astara products contain parabens or anything along those lines?

Lucinda we had a long discussion of this a while back. Short answer-for the most part yes. Here is the link.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12070&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=astara+parabens&start=0
Mabsy

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:33 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Mabsy, this product is on the list for DH to use in replacement of the Juice Beauty daily scrub (he decided it was a bit thick and became impossible to get out of the pump with about 1/6 left and he tossed it Shock ). So it will be double yay for me.. when I want a change I can just use this!

Hold on... I just looked up the MUA reviews. Great product but apparently gets stuck in the pump as well... I'm still going to get it but I gather it's going to get annoying.

sportygirl - thank you for the dry skin trial & report! Smile
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
tiger_tim wrote:

Hold on... I just looked up the MUA reviews. Great product but apparently gets stuck in the pump as well... I'm still going to get it but I gather it's going to get annoying.

sportygirl - thank you for the dry skin trial & report! Smile

Hmm, I never had a problem with clogging... maybe it's because I have always kept my bottles in the shower (i.e, heat?) Think

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:05 am      Reply with quote
I just finished off my sample of this today (got four uses out of it) and I am still loving this scrub! My finger is right now hovering over the buy button! I am hoping I will stay strong but this is definitely a purchase for me in the very near future....
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:18 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, does this foam up? Does it rinse off without residue (and with just a few splashes?) Does it contain any SLS or Parabens?

Wow, I am like a question monster today!

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:03 am      Reply with quote
I know two out of three Smile

It doesn't foam up and it rinses off very easily. My gut feeling hence is that there is no SLS (hence no foam?) but I'm not sure about parabens and the sample didn't have ingredients. I've only been able to find the "key" (aka "ones we ARE proud of") ingredients online...

Key Ingredients: Fine Diatomaceous Earth (silica from the ocean floor); Infusion of Calendula, Basil, Chamomile, Comfrey, Linden Flower, Rose, Lavender; Aloe Vera Gel; Hawaiian Seaplant Extract; Papaya Extract; Vegetable Glycerin; Sodium P.C.A.; Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E); Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C); Essential oils of Pink Grapefruit, Bergamot, Tangerine, Lemon, and Lavender.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:09 am      Reply with quote
have you tried the regular cleansing gelee? If so, does it foam up?

I think I might just get the intro kit from Astara and try it on our next trip home to Oz.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:17 am      Reply with quote
So far I have only tried this and the vitamin mask from Astara. I ended up really liking both. I have some other mask samples but I don't think I have a sample of the gelee...
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I just love the Astara Daily Refining Scrub! I use it every day in the shower after using the Kate Somerville gentle cleanser. They both have lavender in them so they complement each other well. I have tried Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant but did not like it as much as the Astara scrub. The scrubbing grains do not disappear with water with the Astara scrub as I found they did with the Dermalogica. I feel like I get a much better scrub using the Astara.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I too purchased this product and it is nice and smooth, providing a polished feeling. My skin is a tad too sensitive for this, and something in it makes my acne areas sting!! Lets just say I was not that impressed, as I still have a half a bottle in teh shower...
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 11, 2013 5:45 am      Reply with quote
It smells good.I usually use it once a week for deep clean.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |