Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Psoriasis - any remedies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
weaholt
5% products discount

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone

My husband suffers from psoriasis in various places on his body. All of the prescription mediciations form the Dr haven't really helped. I wondered whether anyne had any suggestions?

thanks
Maria
Wendyb
5% products discount

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
My son-in-law suffers with psorisis also. I have had such good results with emu oil on my skin and I have seen links on the internet of how much it helps people with excima(not spelled right)If you will just type "emu oil psorisia" into Google or what ever search engin you use. Several web sites will pop up. Maybe there is some help there. I am going to try to get my son-in-law to try the emu oil. I will let you know if it helps him.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I have excema and found some helpful info on the recent "excema" thread...it's on the fist couple pages in this forum. I imagine psoriasis is a bit different but maybe something useful in there???

I have been really wanting to try the emu oil...I've spent my limit on skin care for a while, and I want to eventually purchase a good size bottle of the pure oil in hopes it will work. On a whim just now... decided maybe I would try to find something locally (drugstore) with a good amount of emu in it and see if it had any effect. I found by googling that walgreens carries a heel balm (three bucks for .5 ounces) and the first ingredient is emu:)

Ingredients
Emu Oil , Lecithin , Glycine Soja Oil Soybean , Lanolin , Beeswax Cera Alba , Papain Papaya Enzyme , BHA , BHT , Fragrance

...it has lanolin which I avoid, and I know the other ingerdients may render it not as affective for what I am using it for as the pure stuff, but I'm SO IMPATIENT. gonna try it anyway on a patch of skin for now as I have to go to the Walgreens pharmacy in just a bit anyways. For three dollars...I can do that:)

Allie Grace
Wendyb
5% products discount

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I have only used the 100% pure. I don't know about the other ingredients. Good luck.
weaholt
5% products discount

Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Will ry and get hold of some emu oil hen - I will let you all know if there are any good results with it.

thanks Very Happy
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have psoriasis on my scalp, back and chest right now. Sometimes I wake up with a patch of extremey dry skin on my face, this is now rare since eliminating chemical sunscreens, sls/sles, fragrances, certain actives and other known irritants like silica and bismuth from my routine. As a kid I had it on my knees only now they are clear. It is hard to treat and understand.

I've tried coal tar and drugstore beta hydroxy shampoos, which works to an extent but the shampoos have harsh cleansers and the gels have alcohol in high concentrations, sort of negates any benefit when you have to deal with irritation due to the delivery agents. Cortisone works well for me but I don't like to use it because once I stop, the lesions come back and it can thin the skin over time so I'm trying to find something more safe.

I've heard about TriCeram Ceramide Dominant Barrier Repair but I haven't tried it because I can't find it yet locally. http://www.osmotics.com/triceram.cfm

What I do use now is mineral oil as it's inert, no actives to irritate and it helps retain moisture and keeps the patches soft. Oils like emu, olive, jojoba, almond, etc, make it worse, very itchy and more lesions. I've tried them all. The mineral oil will not 'heal' my psoriasis but it does help, I find it soothing. It is too greasy to use on my scalp all the time though.

I like squalene too (light natural oil from olive oil {refined not irritating for me} or fish I think) I would have to order it and mineral oil is working well for me so I haven't yet. I used a small sample and really liked it but don't know how it would do over time.

For shampoo I'm using Jason's Organics children's conditioner, it's very light, doesn't get waxy or build-up and it leaves my scalp slightly moisturized and less itchy. It is lightly fragranced but works for me.

On my body I'm using a bety hydroxy moisurizer to break down the extra skin and lessen inflamation. I'm using Paula's Choice 2% lotion. I use the 1% gel on my scalp at night if I'm itchy with a lot of scale build-up. Her gels are alcohol free and very gentle.

Good luck, I hope I've been able to help a bit. It's so frustrating to deal with.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know what the cause of it is? I think this is what my husband has on his scalp. He has dandruff problems but also to the point that it scales up and bleeds and is very painful if he stops using his medicated shampoos. Only head and shoulders worked before for him, but now he is using Jason's Dandruff Shampoo and it's working but smells horrendous.

I heard it had something to do with an overactive immune response creating too much inflammation or something, but I'm not sure. Didn't really make sense why that would happen though.
kibbles

Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I think that it's heredity that is the main culprit. My dad had psoriasis on his legs. I can get it myself from time to time-small patches on my hands. My daughter developed large patches on her knees and elbows and one ankle when she was 9.

I am someone who beleives that for some people, psoriasis can be controlled with a change in diet. From the time when she was a toddler, my daughter's favorite food was pickles, a taste that she shared with my dad who would treat her to at least one a day.

After she developed psoriasis, I found a diet which called for eliminating certain "bad" foods and one of the foods on the list was pickles! Also vinegar. D would eat anything she did not normally like as long as it was dipped in vinegar.

We ended up eating more fruits and vegetables, no vinegar, tomatoes, junk/fried food and less dairy/meat for 3 months and it was really hard to eat this way. Especially if you are trying to get a kid to eat this way. Although we did not go back to eating as badly as we did before, after 3 months with no change we slacked off. About one month later the psoriasis was gone. We never used any steroid cream but we did use olive oil, mostly just to help with the itching.

From time to time D does get the beginings of psoriasis on her ankle and elbows and then I just up her vegetables, mostly with salads. She has never again had those big awful patches like she did before. I remember the dismay that I felt when the doctor said that she would probably have to deal with psoriasis to some degree for the rest of her life... For three years now it has not been an issue.

The book I read I no longer remember the title to but the man who wrote it was named Pagano. If you do a search on the net for "alkaline food list" you will find many sites that discuss the same principle that Pagano does. Basically, you have to eat a diet consisting of 80% alkaline reacting foods (most fruits and vegs) and only 20% acid reacting ( protiens, grains, dairy). I did the diet along with my daughter and found it to be very healthy but hard to maintain.

I hope this helps.

I want to add that the book does talk about the link between psoriasis and the immune system. Something about how bad food breaks down the lining of the stomach and allows toxins to leak out into the system and wreak havoc. It's called Leaky Gut Syndrome. For what it's worth, my aunt who was a dietician said all of this was a load of you know what, but I still beleive it anyway.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Fromwww.psoriasis.org

"What causes psoriasis?
No one knows exactly what causes psoriasis, but it is believed to have a genetic component. Most researchers agree that the immune system is somehow mistakenly triggered, which speeds up the growth cycle of skin cells. A normal skin cell matures and falls off the body's surface in 28 to 30 days. But a psoriatic skin cell takes only three to four days to mature and move to the surface. Instead of falling off (shedding), the cells pile up and form the lesions."

This is why finding a gentle but effective exfoliant is important for me. Also, a barrier to help retain moisture is important because skin with lesions does not retain moisture very well.

Also in the scalp psoriasis section:
"Other skin disorders, such as seborrheic dermatitis, may look similar to psoriasis, but there are differences. Scalp psoriasis scales appear powdery with a silvery sheen, while seborrheic dermatitis scales often appear yellowish and greasy. Despite these differences, the two conditions can be easily confused."

I do think a proper diagnosis is in order if you suspect psoriasis. In many cases the skin isn't only effected, with me my nails having pitting and I have psoriatic arthritis as well.

When I first started showing signs of psoriasis my mom was feeding us whole grains and organic food. I am one of those who thinks that the diet theory is unproven and generally false, in my opinion. I didn't drink milk at the time. We ate so differently than most, everyone had cookies and lunch meat white sandwiches, we had rye bread and fruit.

I have since tried many diets, for 4 months I eliminated dairy and wheat. Ate a bunch of omega three fatty acids. While I felt better in general, my scalp and joints did not improve.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
hello:) wondering if any of you got the emu! I did get a hold of some of the straight emu oil and have been using it.....

I found my skin having a positive reaction using straight emu, but after a few days the skin started drying, it needed more of a moisture barrier. So, now i put a bit of the emu oil on and massage it in, and wait a bit. Then I massage in a mix of extra virgin olive oil, pure cocoa butter, and shea butter. This is working:) I have used this "mix" a lot all by itself and it helps. I'm hoping the addition of the emu will turn up the healing a notch or two. Of course you could use whatever moisturizer/oil/lotion mix that you like with the emu, does'nt have to be my "brew"! But I would go with something "pure" and simple and very moisturing.

Tried using just jojoba oil with it, but was'nt moisturizing enough. Also tried aquaphor healing ointment- bad reaction! ***sigh*** Had to jump in the shower and wash it off. Will try the mineral oil and see if that helps.

Anyway, I would say it's worth trying! I'll give it a while longer and post a thread on longer term results- good or bad.

The answer for everyone is so individual! I found healthy diet and excercise helps me a lot.

Allie Grace
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I had such high hopes for emu oil. I tried the one from Diana Yvonne but it made me itchy!
skinstatus

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Tea tree oil can relieve symptoms of scalp psoriasis when used in specially formulated shampoos.

Besides its dietary benefits, olive oil can be applied to the scalp and hair, and it can help loosen skin flakes associated with psoriasis.
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:16 am      Reply with quote
As far as diet goes, there's evidence that limiting salt/sodium intake could be helpful:

Salt Linked to Autoimmune Diseases
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/salt-linked-to-autoimmune-diseases/

Sodium & Autoimmune Disease: Rubbing Salt in the Wound?
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/sodium-and-autoimmune-disease-rubbing-salt-in-the-wound/

OTOH, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) was found to reduce inflammation:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm
Other forms of sodium (table salt) would not work since it is the rebound effect of the baking soda on stomach acid that is responsible (the baking soda neutralized stomach acid and the body responds by making even more stomach acid).

My preference would be to try reducing sodium intake drastically and increasing potassium through eating leafy greens (beet greens, swiss chard, bok choy, spinach), lima beans and sweet potato; bananas have a lot of potassium but they also have a lot of sugar.
Lorraineg57
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:42 am      Reply with quote
When you say prescriptions haven't helped, are you talking creams or other types. My son has done really well with Humira. Of course if you read the possible side effects it may give you pause.
You know, like the "hey, you may croak in your sleep but at least you won't have insomnia!" commercials. All drugs have possible side effects unfortunately. They have to list crap even if there's a .0001% incidence.
His derm told us that it is genetic but NOT hereditary. No one else in our family has it but there is a high incidence of autoimmune issues on my husband's side of the family.
PatKyle
5% products discount

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Recent studies have suggested that the health of the intestine and colon greatly affects psoriasis.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
This is prob the most unorthodox advice BUT I heard it first hand as a MASSAGE THERAPIST. Two of my clients suffer from psoriasis since childhood. They now tell me by cutting out WHEAT from their diet, it has made a big difference. They don't get flare ups any more.
hautcosmetics
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:04 am      Reply with quote
emu oil is best, Good luck.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |