Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
DIY Vitamin C eye serum/ cream--Does it dissolve into Vit E?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
confooseddesi89

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm interested in making an easy eye treatment/ moisturizing serum with vitamin C. I want vitamin E to be the base for it, because of its antioxidant and moisturizing properties. I know Vit C is a water-soluble vitamin, so it stands to reason that it won't dissolve into oil, right? If I mix vitamin C powder with vitamin E, and it doesn't dissolve, will it not be affective if I apply it under my eyes?

Do I need to buy an emulsifier? What are some inexpensive, easy to find, non-irritating emulsifiers? Also, what's the proper ratio of emulsifier to add?

Thank you and I apologize if this has already been discussed in the forum.
confooseddesi89

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:34 am      Reply with quote
bump
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Not all forms of vitamin C are water soluble - L-ascorbic acid and magnesium ascorbyl phosphate are; ascorbyl palmitate is more soluble in oil or alcohol IIRC. Read the sticky at the top of this board, the one entitled "DIY skincare - recipe index ..."

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
wylone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
No, I think VC is water soluble, VE is oil soluble
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I have not done DIY with isolated Vit C or Vit E, but Firefox is right. Since palmitic acid is a medium chain saturated fatty acid (C16:0), vitamin C in the form of ascorbyl palmitate is indeed fat soluble, so it would be probably easiest to use that, rather than using the water-soluble forms of vitamin C and either finding an emulsifier or making two different recipes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:35 am      Reply with quote
confooseddesi89 wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested in making an easy eye treatment/ moisturizing serum with vitamin C. I want vitamin E to be the base for it, because of its antioxidant and moisturizing properties. I know Vit C is a water-soluble vitamin, so it stands to reason that it won't dissolve into oil, right? If I mix vitamin C powder with vitamin E, and it doesn't dissolve, will it not be affective if I apply it under my eyes?

Do I need to buy an emulsifier? What are some inexpensive, easy to find, non-irritating emulsifiers? Also, what's the proper ratio of emulsifier to add?

Thank you and I apologize if this has already been discussed in the forum.

Get yourself some of this;
http://cerave.com/our-products/cerave-moisturizing-lotion/

...And just make a nice antioxidant serum for eye/face/whatever like this;

15% Vit C Lotion, 1oz.

1 tsp L-AA powder (or adjust to 5 to 7% if you want to use the oil soluble alternatives ie; MAP, THDA.
1 TBS distilled water
1 TBS CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
3 or 4 drops of Vit E Oil

Dissolve the vit C in water. When fully dissolved add the CV to that and stir well. Now add a few drops of Vit E oil to that and stir.

Using the CeraVe lets you off the hook for emulsifiers and preservatives. What you don't use up in 4 or 5 weeks, just toss and make a new batch (just to be on the safe side.)

NOTE:

- This is a nice "antioxidant/ceramide" lotion. Whether it will get where it needs to go to encourage collagen synthesis is anybody's guess.. (I didn't check the pH.) What I can tell you though, is it absorbs quickly and totally, without leaving any residue at all.

- This recipe can be easily adjusted to make large quantities for head to toe use. Just double, triple or quadruple the ingredient amounts.

- I use this all around my eyes without issues, but everybody is different, so adjust accordingly if you have sensitive skin.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I'd listen to Kassy_A. Wink She's terrific with all this DIY stuff Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Here's another one with MSM that I just shared in a different thread, that you might like (very easy!)

15% Vit C Serum With MSM 1oz.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
2 tsp Aloe Vera Gel (any cheap brand you like)
1/4 tsp virgin coconut oil (it's loaded with vit E and other goodies)
3 1/2 tsp distilled water
3000mg MSM (for me it’s 3 capsules of Opti-MSM powder)

Use 2 shot glasses..

In 1st glass; measure in the water and nuke in the microwave a few seconds (warm) put in the MSM and vit C stirring in each, go on to next glass.

In glass 2 measure in your coconut oil, add aloe and stir well.

To combine, slowly add and stir the contents of glass 1 into glass 2 a little at a time. It combines pretty well, but you can always add a bit of emulsifier if you want to.. (I didn’t, and it’s just fine.)

Put into your 1oz bottle and shake well...
You can tweak this easily to suit your needs with the addition of FA or whatever you like. For me it was just a simple way to have a great and easy serum, that includes MSM, quickly. The coconut oil is loaded with beneficial fatty acids and loads of vit E.

When you apply it, it feels a bit tacky for 3 or 4 minutes, and then absorbs right in. So far I really like it.

NOTE:

For a more opague and quickly penetrating serum, you can use 1 tsp of CeraVe Lotion and 1 tsp of Aloe Vera Gel instead of just Aloe.. (Gives a nicer feel and texture IMHO.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
tamizami

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
hey kassy - i know this post is over a year old, but i tried this recipe and wondered how you get the virgin coconut oil to stay liquid in this recipe? it keeps solidifying on top....thanks in advance for any advice, i really love coconut oil and would like to use it more in homemade lotions.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Check out this recipe here:

http://www.skincare.boards.net/index.cgi?board=diy&action=display&thread=862

It contains emulsifier, oil, LAA, Vit E. etc.

You can alternatively use Tetra C sold at http://www.bulkactives.com/ascorbyltetraisopalmitate.htm

(attention: this one is expensive!)
Viclana

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
What is MSM??
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi RussianSunshine, yes, textra-C is expensive. But you can substitute with sodium ascorbyl phosphate.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |