Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Olive Oil for Sun Protection?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
havana8

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
hotdocgirl wrote:
here is good read on spf of oils... everyone here is such an 'expert.." http://livingprettynaturally.com/natural-oil-sunscreens-what-you-need-to-know/

This is one green blogger who is hardly an expert. To suggest that certain oils that spf of 20+ is dangerous.

Adding to this comment, here's what Dr. Axe has to say regarding the claim about carrot seed oil:

Quote:
An oft-cited study about the benefits of carrot seed oil was published in 2009 by an Indian university. Various sources claim that the study found that it has an SPF of around 40, making it a useful UV-blocking agent.

Well, close. But not exactly.

The study was actually investigating how to valuate SPF from natural products with various herbal ingredients. Researchers found that a product containing a number of herbal ingredients, including carrot seed oil, turn out to have an SPF of 40 or so. (15)

Because of the way natural ingredients interact to create the SPF found in the tested product, it’s unlikely that carrot seed oil on its own actually has a significant enough SPF to be used in place of chemical-rich, conventional sunscreens. It does, though, seem to be a part of a natural sunscreen recipe that can be useful.

Interestingly, an extract of the much less common purple carrot seems to be particularly powerful in blocking harmful UV rays. I will note that this extract is not definitely carrot seed oil, according to available study data; however, the concept is fascinating. (16 )

Formulation and evaluation of carrot seed oil-based cosmetic emulsions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29737890

Quote:
The present study deals with the evaluation of antiaging potential of carrot seed oil-based cosmetic emulsions. Briefly, cosmetic emulsions composed of carrot seed oil in varying proportions (2, 4, and 6% w/v) were prepared using the hydrophile-lipophile balance (HLB) technique. Coconut oil, nonionic surfactants (Tween 80 and Span 80), and xanthan gum were used as the oil phase, emulgent, and emulsion stabilizer, respectively. The formed emulsions were evaluated for various physical, chemical, and biochemical parameters such as the zeta potential, globule size measurement, antioxidant activity, sun protection factor (SPF), skin irritation, and biochemical studies. The zeta potential values ranged from -43.2 to -48.3, indicating good stability. The polydispersity index (PDI) of various emulsion formulations ranged from 0.353 to 0.816. 1,1-Diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl- (DPPH) and nitric oxide-free radical scavenging activity showed the antioxidant potential of the prepared carrot seed oil emulsions. The highest SPF value (6.92) was shown by F3 having 6%w/v carrot seed oil. Histopathological data and biochemical analysis (ascorbic acid (ASC) and total protein content) suggest that these cosmetic emulsions have sufficient potential to be used as potential skin rejuvenating preparations.
havana8

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
UV-blocking potential of oils and juices.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26610885

Quote:
Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
Sunscreens are commonly used to protect the body from damage caused by UV light. Some components of organic sunscreens have been shown to pass through the skin during wear which could raise toxicity concerns for these compounds. This study explores the potential for oils and fruit and vegetable juices to be substitutes for these compounds.

METHODS:
The absorptivity of various oils (canola oil, citronella oil, coconut oil, olive oil, soya bean oil, vitamin E, as well as aloe vera) and fruit and vegetable juices (acerola, beet, grape, orange carrot, purple carrot and raspberry) was measured in vitro. The mean absorptivity was compared with FDA-approved UV absorbers to gauge the potential of the natural products. The most promising candidates were incorporated into formulations, and the UV transmittance of a 20-μm-thick film of the formulation was measured. The formulations were also imaged by light microscopy and scanning electron microscopy.

RESULTS:
The absorptivity of oils was at least two orders of magnitude lower compared to the commercial UV blockers. The fruit juice powders were more effective at UV blocking but still showed an order of magnitude lower absorptivity compared to commercial UV blockers.

CONCLUSION:
The UV blocking from most natural oils is insufficient to obtain a significant UV protection. Formulations containing 50wt% purple carrot showed good UV-blocking capabilities and represent a promising ingredient for sunscreen and cosmetic applications.

© 2015 Society of Cosmetic Scientists and the Société Française de Cosmétologie.

PMID: 26610885 DOI: 10.1111/ics.12296

TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:42 am      Reply with quote
All good fines havana8 - thank you for sharing. I know in my youth, I used to sit on the beach with my mum and dad and we all rubbed olive oil into our skins (body and faces) - I think Elizabeth Taylor used to do it at the time - so it was quite fashionable. However, it was back in the late 50's early 60's. Nowadays, I'm not a fan of oils for sunbathing based on that, as I know it definitely had an effect on my skin which I'm still paying for!
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I apply sunscreen first, then apply a light layer of olive oil, helps with the tan/ glow!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Sad, that the world has come to this. Any oil is going to magnify the sun's rays and depending on the sunscreen you use, the oil may help your skin receive more damage (and hence more tan or glow) making hte sunscreen ineffective and inefficient. If you are happy with that go for it - but it is a pointless exercise really. Any tan or glow is damage and long term you are harming your skin and dna in the process.
Believe me, I learned the hard way. Don't do it to yourself!
Miss Shoes wrote:
I apply sunscreen first, then apply a light layer of olive oil, helps with the tan/ glow!
jess2101
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
olive oil does not protect at all from the sun's rays,
on the contrary it makes the skin fry.
a real risk,
nothing can replace mineral protection or chemical protection against the sun's rays.
jess2101
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 am      Reply with quote
effective sun protection:
-Bioré milk for oily and sensitive skin.
very well known in asia

-Avene sun protection for all skin types, these sun protection are very well known in Europe.
Qiwi

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, although it is not as strong as let's say an SPF 30, It does offer some protection, my mother swore by it for years and I never believed her until one day I was doing yard work and wanted to get some color so I slathered EVOO all over my arms and legs thinking that I'd get a nice color from the oil but to my surprise, my oily arms and legs were the same pale white as before and u could totally see everywhere that I did NOT put the EVOO, like my face, top of shoulders,& back bc they were all sunburned, I looked so silly for a few weeks but I learned that extra virgin olive oil DOES protect against sun, it may not be as strong as a store-bought SFP filled with chemicals but it keeps me from getting sunburned, it's all I use, I never ever put all that chemical-filled SPF on my skin. My motto is if it's not safe enough to eat it, you shouldn't put it on ur body.
jess2101
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I am amazed to hear that oil protects from the sun Embarassed
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:46 am      Reply with quote
from my knowledge it has an SPF of about 4 and carrot oil has the highest SPF...but nothing close to modern cosmetic sunscreens.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |