Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

two weeks on Retin A -- no visible effects
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
macropis
5% products discount

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I know it is too early to see results, but I expected to see some of the side effects. I have been using 0.025% Retin A from ADC every other evening (starting slow as advised here), and so far I have not experienced any flaking (other than the wintertime flaking I was already experiencing), peeling, pinkness, redness, etc.

I have sensitive, very dry skin with mild rosacea (currently under control). While I'm glad that the Retin A hasn't caused any adverse effects, I'm now wondering if it is doing anything at all.

I also bought 0.05% cream that I am using on my decollete, arms, and hands and I have not seen anything happening there either in terms of pinkness or peeling.

I'm going to proceed on to nightly use, but I'm wondering if my experience is usual or unusual?
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I didn't experience much flaking starting with the lower strength RA but you may yet have some flaking after using a bit longer.
Since you're not having any side effects you could probably use nightly now and see how that goes. Just cut back again if you have too much irritation.
CBayne245
5% products discount

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Retin-A micro 0.04% for a month and I haven't had any adverse reaction either. I had a little redness near my mouth, but nothing else. I have noticed my pores are much smaller, my fine lines have diminished and my skin tone has evened out. I also have not had any new breakouts since starting. I'm using it every day. I love it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
macropis wrote:
I know it is too early to see results, but I expected to see some of the side effects. I have been using 0.025% Retin A from ADC every other evening (starting slow as advised here), and so far I have not experienced any flaking (other than the wintertime flaking I was already experiencing), peeling, pinkness, redness, etc.

I have sensitive, very dry skin with mild rosacea (currently under control). While I'm glad that the Retin A hasn't caused any adverse effects, I'm now wondering if it is doing anything at all.

I also bought 0.05% cream that I am using on my decollete, arms, and hands and I have not seen anything happening there either in terms of pinkness or peeling.

I'm going to proceed on to nightly use, but I'm wondering if my experience is usual or unusual?

Are you using the retin a alone or in conjunction with something else -- like an oil of some sort? Layering an oil over the retin a could definitely temper the irritation; however the retin a will still be working.

5% products discount

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:

Are you using the retin a alone or in conjunction with something else -- like an oil of some sort? Layering an oil over the retin a could definitely temper the irritation; however the retin a will still be working.

Yes, I'm applying the retin a on dry skin and letting it soak in for half an hour or so, then applying SA every lipid serum.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Since you're layering the serum on the retin a, I'd say that is why you're not experiencing the "normal" reactions. But, the retin a is still doing its job Smile

Also, it can take 6-12 months of continued use before you might notice visible results.

5% products discount

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have also just started using and no side effects so far... Using 0.04 gel every second night so probably bump up to every night. I know it is a good thing that I'm not getting the redness peeling etc but it feels like if theres no side effects maybe it's not working?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I never had any irritation from Retin-A. I did get more flaking when I moved up to 0.1% and thought it made my skin too dry, so I went back to using 0.05%.

I sometimes think all the "hoo haa" over the side effects of Retin-A is exaggerated somewhat. I've had far worse irritation from AHAs and yet you never hear much fuss about them.

Keep on keeping on!! Retin-A is not a quick fix but a long term investment.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Keliu's right! From all I've read, side effects aren't necessary to show that its working so just consider yourself lucky. I just started using the gel on my neck/decolette & while I did have flaking on my face from the gel, I've had none on this area. I'm so relieved since to me nothing's worse than irritation here.

And I've been surprised to see a positive effect in my face so early on, since I've always heard that most people won't see any real effects for several months. So I think patience is key.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:18 am      Reply with quote
You may not see any visible changes in your skin for 6 months. Be assured that the effects are happening below the surface. Some people can't handle Retin A at all so be glad that you can. Greg
macropis
5% products discount

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:17 am      Reply with quote
One reason I think it is weird that I'm not peeling or flaking is because before I got the retin A I used a tube of "Face Lift" brand 4x retinol time released cream occasionally - it didn't cause irritation but always made a layer of skin peel off. I expected the retin A to do that also but more so.
dongss_1999
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I never had any irritation from Retin-A. I did get more flaking when I moved up to 0.1% and thought it made my skin too dry, so I went back to using 0.05%.

I sometimes think all the "hoo haa" over the side effects of Retin-A is exaggerated somewhat. I've had far worse irritation from AHAs and yet you never hear much fuss about them.

I have been using 0.025% Retin A every second day for a week, my face is peeling and becoming red. It's so hurt when I washed my face and spread the cream!
I really want to go through this quickly.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
dongss_1999 wrote:
I have been using 0.025% Retin A every second day for a week, my face is peeling and becoming red. It's so hurt when I washed my face and spread the cream!

If you are getting a severe reaction then "keep on keeping on" is not for you! Cut down on the frequency of use. Try applying every third day and see how you go.

You could also try applying the Retin-A over a cream to buffer it a little.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
dongss_1999 wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Dongss,
Your situation may be a little different since you're in the process of using Obagi Nuderm.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 am      Reply with quote
I have used the AFIRM2X it work for me.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:54 am      Reply with quote
I think 2 weeks is really too short to expect any improvements at all! I've been using Tazorac for about 2-3 years now and except for peeling, I don't see anything either Confused However, since it does have so many scientific studies backing it up, I continue to use it on blind faith Laughing Laughing Hang in there, and good luck!!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
macropis
5% products discount

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:31 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
I think 2 weeks is really too short to expect any improvements at all! I've been using Tazorac for about 2-3 years now and except for peeling, I don't see anything either Confused However, since it does have so many scientific studies backing it up, I continue to use it on blind faith Laughing Laughing Hang in there, and good luck!!

Hi fat_swan, I'm not expecting any improvements yet, I'm just wondering why I'm not seeing any of the usual early side effects. Especially when I got peeling in one day with a milder OTC retinal preparation.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 am      Reply with quote
There is no timeframe set in stone, because it really depends on the quality/health of the skin in the first place. I've used retin A for over 30 years now, and wouldn't be without it, but was lucky enough to work with a derm during that time and know I've managed to avoid many mistakes as a result.

The side effects might not happen for a year, or several years, but just because you're not getting them doesn't mean its not working. Retin A is able to penetrate a lot deeper than other skincare creams etc, so often it starts repairing the damage that is deep down.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 am      Reply with quote
I personally found that you don't see a differnce until months later. First, it was negative for me, but I kept at it, as suggested by the doctor. The results go up & down over the years, because you age and your skin changes.
I try to eat a lot of fish so that I have good internal moisture.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I think Kims is right. The reason you aren't seeing any of the side effects is due to you using the oil after the Retin A. You are keeping your skin moisturized from the SA oil, so you probably won't see much in the way of side effects.
dongss_1999
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:48 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:

Dongss,
Your situation may be a little different since you're in the process of using Obagi Nuderm.

hi Kims,
you are right I am in the process of using Obagi Nuderm. The peeling is so serious, everyday I must go to work having my "ugly face", however I will keep on using retin A and wish to finish my obagi experience.
PatKyle
5% products discount

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I used Retin-a for a year. I think it lasted for about a month and then it started to clear. After a few months, my skin looked better and better.
I don't have insurance. If you're curious this is reliable site where I found Retin-A:
http://www.reliablewebs.net/go/Retin-A Laughing
Their customer service was fantastic, price was awesome and I received my order within a few days. They also sent me a discount coupon code "SALE10" for 10% discount. Hope this helps!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |