Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
:: Review :: Dr Hauschka mascara
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:56 am      Reply with quote
I got my EDS order yesterday and this time around I decided to try some of the Dr Hauschka makeup. I wanted to try something new (other than the Photolagen I ordered) but didn't really know what - I ended up going with the Dr H foundation and the mascara (and also the Rosie Jane eyeshadow). I remembered someone commenting on this mascara so I took the plunge..... I.....LOVE....IT! It's fantastic! I used this for the first time today (as well as the Rosie Jane eyeshadow, more on that another day....) and I simply couldn't wait to sit down and review it! Rolling Eyes Embarassed

This is by far the EASIEST mascara I have ever used, honest! It just glides through the lashes and it separates wonderfully! I swear I could see each individual lash after just one sweep of this. I'm not sure how it does this because the brush looks fairly standard. Whatever it is - I love it!

Ok, let me breathe into my paper bag and write something coherent now... Rolling Eyes

The mascara has a very wet formulation, it's also quite thin in consistency (so it seems) and has a lovely rose scent to it. After applying one sweep of this, I got a very natural look, more defined lashes and what looked like more of them (because of the separation I think), I applied another sweep (without letting it dry) and got a gorgeoud (if I may say so myself Embarassed ) natural look with just very well defined lashes. The color lasted all day and my eyelashes were soft like there was no mascara on them at all

I came home this evening, after a whole humid day of running around, and there are no smudges, no flakes and my lashes look like they did this morning (minus some curl though). I was really surprised by how soft and separated my lashes were so I decided to see what would happen if I applied ANOTHER coat of mascara onto the already set mascara (if I do this usually, I get crazy clumping, hence I don't do it Smile). To my surprise, again, there was no clumping at all and the color got a bit more dramatic. Now that it has set - the lashes are still really soft.

So, this mascara is NOT for you if you want lengthening or thickening, but IF you want just lovely natural looking but defined lashes then this is fab! It does hold a decent curl (I used a curler first) but it does drop a bit throught the day (hey, it's not magic!). Because of the wet formulation I did use a thermal curler after I applied the mascara because I wasn't sure if it would drop completely while drying (some mascaras tend to do that) and I still wanted to look decent today. I shall try this out tomorrow (don't care if I look decent tomorrow Laughing ). Also, another great thing about it is that (as I alluded to before) it is buildable, even hours after it dries. So, you can have a natural look for the day, and slightly more emphasised look in the evening and all you have to do is bring it to work (or wherever) with you and apply another sweep before you head out in the evening.

Another advantage, it comes off so easily when you wash it off. I basically just wiped it off with water. Hence, this would not be particularly good in the rain I guess Confused

Ok, sorry for the long post - I'm glad I finally got it out of my system because a few times throughout the day today (for instance, in a meeting with my boss) I thought "wow, I've got to write on EDS about this!".

I would love to hear if you guys have tried this and what you thought of it.

ps. Sorry, after all that I forgot to mention that I got this in Black Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Oh no another lemming has been created for me!!
I have been searching for so long for a mascara that when applied the lashes are all seperated rather than clumped together.
The thin consistency sounds perfect.

Thankyou for this review Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I've been using this mascara for a few years now and I also love it! It's one of two mascaras I can use that doesn't hurt my eyelids! If you want more thickening try lavera's mascara - it's very similar to Dr. H but a bit thicker. I like them both in black - I've tried the blue Dr. H but was not impressed!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I wonder if they have it in navy, burgundy or purple?

Mabsy wrote:
...I did use a thermal curler after I applied the mascara...
Please define “thermal” curler. I’m pretty sure I know what you mean, but I’ve never heard it called by that term before so I want to make sure you haven’t discovered some new-fangled wonder-curler that you haven’t told us about before now! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
totally agree with you Mabsy! i've been using this for about a year now as i was finding that my eyes were getting sore using a *i think* maybelline one and it is fantastic. one tip though, it does take a little longer than other mascaras to dry so you have to be careful to check above and below your lashes before you leave the house *yeah, learned that from experience!*

Kiwigirl.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Great! I'm so glad others have also been happy with this. You need to try this rosebud (sorry!).

Carrie - sorry to get your hopes up. This is a heated curler I'm talking about. For some reason I couldn't think of the word "heated" yesterday and thermal was the only thing popping into my head. I was hoping nobody would notice... Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Tsk! Mabsy I've now *had* to order one of these in brown to try! And there was me all happy with my JustForRedheads Mascara's!
Laughing

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Lucia wrote:
Tsk! Mabsy I've now *had* to order one of these in brown to try! And there was me all happy with my JustForRedheads Mascara's!
Laughing

Sorry Embarassed Would *love* to hear what you think of it though and I hope you like it as much as I do Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Laughing That's ok - I don't need very much encouragement! Laughing

I'll post when I've used it to let you know how I like it!!

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Well my Dr H mascara arrived today! Very Happy
I have to agree with everything Mabsy said about it.
I only had one very minor issue in that I would prefer the brown to be a little more chocolate than the mahogany colour it is but that's only because I'm so fair. I prefer the colour of my JFR mascara for the day colour wise BUT....the Dr H mascara lasts WAAYYY better and still looks really nice just a bit deeper than I, in my paleness, am used too!LOL! (basically regular brown mascara is usually too hard and black makes me look weird!! Laughing )

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Phew! Glad you like it, shame about the color though Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Does it smudge by the end of the day where you have it all underneath?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!
Mabsy - I'm coming around to the colour...its such a natural texture it does look really nice! Very Happy
To answer the smudge question - nope I found it stays put till I take it off. I hate it when mascara ends up under your eyes! Not sure it'd stand up to a downpour as it is very water soluble but it stays on really well under normal wear circumstances.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Wow--this sounds like just what I'm looking for. Something to replace my beloved Shu mascara but not so $$$. I don't mind that it's not completely waterproof--I don't wear mascara when I'm swimming and if it's raining that hard, I'll carry an umbrella Very Happy . But if it holds up that well in humidity, looks natural, and doesn't smear or flake?!! Definitely worth a try for me...thanks for the great review, Mabsy!
Mabsy

Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't experienced any smudging with this mascara at all - I have been using it daily since I wrote this review and I still love it!

As Lucia commented though, not the best mascara for rainy weather because it is super easy to take off with water.

Lucia - glad the color is growing on you! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I haven't had any smudging issues, either. My skin can get very oily and when it's hot out sometimes my mascara just sort of...disappears...but it doesn't leave smudges on my face.
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
The mascara I use is by a German company called Sante www.NaturalEurope.com I purchased it from my local natural food store and was told that this company puts out products that are basically knock offs of Dr Hauschka but are more affordable (around 12 dollars for the mascara ). I've never tried the Dr. Hauschka mascara but from what I've read on this thread, it does sound similar. This mascara is thin, doesn't clump, can be reapplied, doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes, leaves my lashes soft, doesn't flake or smudge, washes off easily and completely, and has a faint fragrance of roses. Ingredients are: water, alcohol, glycerin, sorbitol, algin, fragrance (essential oils),xanthan gum, coco glucoside, PCA Ethyl Cocoyl Arginate, Citric Acid, (+/- Cl 77891, Cl77491). I use brown. It goes really well over the Ardell lash product. I can curl my lashes after applying the Ardell, then apply this mascara without losing the curl. Definitely worth a try if you're on a budget. Smile
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, Dr. H mascara is awesome! However, in regards to Sante being cheaper knock-offs, I'm not so sure.

In Europe Dr. Hauschka mascara is only 12.90 Euros, which is not that different from $11.99. And Sante is now being offered alongside Dr. H at Beauty Center Europe. They're probably the same in that they're BDIH certified (just like Weleda, too). Why do they say they're knock offs? Are the other products also very similar? I'm going to take a closer look at their line now Smile Interesting
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, mimsy, I've been looking for a site to purchase sante nail polish from and this has a pretty big selection. Yay!
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome Chimera ! Happy to help. Smile
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I went to Whole Foods today and sampled the Dr. Hauschka mascara. Pumaka was right , it's definitely different than the Sante mascara: it's thicker and maybe waxier, definitely more dramatic. It didn't wash off as easily though (probably the because it is waxier?). I loved it though and plan on buying it the next time I need mascara. Is there any place to get this stuff for less $ than at Whole Foods? I'd also like some feedback on colors- is the blue noticeably blue? Confused
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
How much was it at your Whole Foods?
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
It was $22.50 Sad
Mabsy

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
mimsy wrote:
It was $22.50 Sad

I think I paid around Au$21 on EDS, so that would make it roughly US$15?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
It's $20.95 Cad at EDS right now. That's about $18.20 US.

I used to buy it from Beauty Center Europe for 12.90 Euros (around $16US), but at the moment they only have blue shade left. And their shipping is kind of steep (Eu 15+) so it's not that great of a deal unless you're buying a lot of stuff at one time.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |