Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which make-up brush brand to buy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Which are the best make-up brushes?

Bobbi Brown
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Shu Uemura
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Armani
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mac
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Lauren Hutton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NARS
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Sephora
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
OK, this is it.. I am going to take the plunge and invest in some decent make-up brushes!!

Now I know very little about the world of make-up (mascara and lippy are my staples) so I only have a general idea of which brands are good (based on what I read here).

Please give me your reviews/opinions on price/quality/value for money etc. for the brand you use (feel free to throw in a brand not on my poll too!)

Also, what are the ESSENTIAL brushes from the brand to have!

Thanks!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I voted for BB, but I'd also go for Shu Eumura and MAC. They have some awesome looking brushes! Drool

You know I don't wear much foundation - only here and there where needed, and even when I do wear a 'full-face' it's only for really speacial occasions. But now that I have the foundation brush I find that I actually like literally painting my face! I like the effect, too - clearer, even-toned skin in an instant! I've been buying BB simply because I like to match my makeup with their 'partners' in the same brand (been using a lot of BB). If I were using MAC makeup I'd have bought MAC brushes (I've been eyeing Laura Mercier foundation and powders and believe me, I'd soon be buying her brushes should I switch to her makeup!)

That said, I am fascinated by the Shu Eumura brushes, too, particularly the fan shaped brush (what's that for, really? Think anyone use it?) but at the monment I have no reason to buy it.

Anyways enough rambling. Coming back to your question, my BB brushes are pricy, but they are sturdy, have soft bristles that are tightly packed so they are firm without scratching your face and don't shed even when you wash them often, year after year (I know from my lip and blush brushes, which I've had for years and years). Excellent value for meny.

HTH!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Mabsy

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:52 am      Reply with quote
I voted for MAC overall (very good brushes) but thought I'd also add that A'Squirrel make wonderful brushes and they are probably cheaper than the likes of MAC etc

ETA: Mac foundation brush and blush brush are very good. As is their angled eye liner brush. Their concealer brush is also good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:23 am      Reply with quote
I have MAC eye brushes and these are just excellent, I would not be without them, they have so many different shapes and details and are all made of various different types of hair, some synthetic and some natural depending on the brush.
They wash up really well, are affordable and last forever.
I have my Jane Iredale Handi and a few other of her brushes, then the rest are MAC.

Just to add my MIL bought one of those small Sephora brush sets and the brushes did not look too bad in there, OK for handbag but I did think the MAC ones were more durable.
I have had a ful size lip brush from Sephora and had it for years, I use that one for both lipstick and sometimes for applying liquid eyeliner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Armani brushes shed-or used to I think they revamped them. Shu is the best as well as Trish Mcevoy. If you're to spend $$$, I'd go with Trish-I know it's not on the list but her powder brush & blush brush are the softest I've ever felt-Mac isn't even in the game. If not Trish, the def. Shu.

The only brush from BB I like is the face blending brush (white haired one) that you can use for everything from blush to bronzer & her kabuki brush.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Urgh. I can see this is not going to be an easy choice....

So I need to have:

foundation brush
powder brush
eyeshadow brush
eyeliner brush
eyebrow brush
blush brush
lip brush

Are those the basics? Don't think I need a "bronzer" brush.. never used bronzer and with my whiter than white skin.... Laughing

(jeez, after this I will feel like "Tim the Toolman" instead of "Tiger Tim" ! Rolling Eyes

I see that 2 votes for NARS have snuck in there without comments.. hmm (why does the :hmm man look more angry than confused? Laughing )

The department store where I buy absoutely everything from has counters for BB/MAC/NARS/Shu Uemura... The Shu counter people know me well (that is the one problem with being a foreigner here.. they tend to always remember you from past purchase(s) and it is hard to browse without getting cornered Cool <= movie star moi Laughing )
Terihe
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:11 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Mabsy. Asquirrel makes some really good brushes and are reasonably priced. Another one of my favorites is Japonesque. These are made from squirrel as well.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for asking this question.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Glo Minerals brushes? I've been eyeing these for a while, but have not heard too much about them. I was interested in the kabuki type brush. Anyone tried it? Thanks. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I've got one MAC brush and they sure stand up. One I think I've had over 6 years and it's still in great condition (eyeliner/brow brush - can't tell what number it is).

The other brushes I really like that you don't have listed are Smashbox. I have their Angle Brow Brush #12 which is great. (It's not too thick or thin like other brands and the hairs keep their shape well and it doesn't leave the brow powder all over my face). I also have the Smashbox Powder Brush #1 which is SO soft. It feels nice putting on my pure luxe mineral foundation. I could rub my face with it all day it's so smooth.

Cost of the brushes. Well, the MAC one I took from my mom because she didn't like powdered brows. The Smashbox brow brush came in a kit from the shopping channel but I'd pay the $25 for it. The Smashbox powder brush I got on ebay for a total of $20 CAD which is great considering it costs $40-something. I think it would be worth the full price if I had the money..but being a broke student there's a reason I got it off ebay.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
I voted for MAC because I think the line overall is excellent as far as selection, quality and price point. Some are better than others. The foundation brush is better than Px's even though they look very similar. I also use the fiber optic one for mmu and have an old squirrel powder brush that's been designated for blush. It's fabulously soft but sheds constantly so it's only used to just touch the blush to cheeks.

I like the BB kabuki and am always tempted by the different eye shadow ones but manage to resist. Ditto for Laura Mercier tho' I did get the flat eyeliner and ranked it best until I got a Stila that came with a 6-pan palette. It's a touch stiffer than the LM so it gives me a thinner and tighter line right into the lashline.

I've also got some Quo brushes which I use daily, esp the all-over shadow one which just seems to fit my eyelid perfectly.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Urgh. I can see this is not going to be an easy choice....

So I need to have:

foundation brush
powder brush
eyeshadow brush
eyeliner brush
eyebrow brush

blush brush
lip brush

Are those the basics? Don't think I need a "bronzer" brush.. never used bronzer and with my whiter than white skin.... Laughing

(jeez, after this I will feel like "Tim the Toolman" instead of "Tiger Tim" ! Rolling Eyes

The BB one I have is called the eye definer brush, and can be used for filling in brows as well as for lining the eyes. You'd think (because you were told by the SA) that you can't get a thin line with this but I have found quite the opposite, and that there really is no need for separate brushes to do these two jobs. Slanted eyebrow and eye liner brushes look so similar I honestly think the difference (if any) it makes is a tiny one. That said I wouldn't use an eyelining brush for my brows or vise versa, so I settled for this one because its meant for both tasks.

I can't comment on the bronzer brush because I don't use a bronzer (and don't think I ever will, seeing that I'm already very bronze!)

Yup I guess those are the basics, and yes you'll soon feel like a toolman but nothing beats that feeling when you look at that brush collection of yours! Bad Grin

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Yup I guess those are the basics, and yes you'll soon feel like a toolman but nothing beats that feeling when you look at that brush collection of yours!

Will I need a tool belt to go with it? Perhaps I can try and find one that has a hip holster for my dryer ... I can do a High Noon scene every morning with my DH!!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
dont buy prescriptives...they are CRAP Mad
I end up picking black brush hairs of my face every single time I use them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I love the Smashbox foundation brush but I also really like the Bare Minerals foundation brush and their Kabuki brush too! They werent on the list to vote on.. Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
At Sephora yesterday I bought the full size foundation brush (grey-black hairs, tan handle), best of the Sephora brand, and the set of four short-handled brushes in a case for travel. I've liked the paula dorf brush bath for 2 years...though maybe baby shampoo would work just as well?

I'm new back to liquid (the Shiseido foundation w/ 42 spf for summer) after 2 years w/ mmu. I didn't think of how often I would need to wash the foundation brush using liquid....how often do y'all? After every use? Eek!?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
When I used liquid foundation I would wash my brush everytime I used it and it was ready for the next day. It is a Prescriptives one and it worked excellent and held up beautifully. Looks as new as the day I got it.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
[quote]
I'm new back to liquid (the Shiseido foundation w/ 42 spf for summer) after 2 years w/ mmu. I didn't think of how often I would need to wash the foundation brush using liquid....how often do y'all? After every use? Eek!?

I wash mine after every use. Just thinking about using it w/ old make-up on it ... Shock
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto re washing foundation brush after liquid makeup...but not powder brushes!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:27 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I like how MAC named some of their brushes after Catherine Deneuve.

Are all foundation brushes usually synthetic? I noticed that some brands mention that theirs is and that some don't. I would think they would be synthetic seeing that they should be washed after each use.

I have a Bobbi Brown brush that I got with her shimmer brick (a promotional package) and love it. It is SO soft. I now use it for my MMU brush (it's big enough for that) b/c it's the best brush I have right now and feels so good on my skin. I am definitely planning to invest in a few more good brushes. Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
neroliwater
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Cat cosmetics. I took advantage of their 30% OFF in Feb. Laughing Laughing

Their Kabuki brush is the best. The foundation brush is nice too. I also got one blush brush and I like it.
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have MAC, Shu uemura and BB brushes and I like BB the best....Prices are more or less in same range...all high end but BB is the softest and never shedded....MAC 's feels a little scratchy to me and so does shu's....specially around eyes.....I have BB Blush and shadow brushes and I LOVE them!

Edited to add:- I also have Px foundation brush which is also ver nice!
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Wanted to tag this on here...been using these for a while.

The Essence of Beauty (CVS brand!) brushes I bought for appling eye liner w/ a damp brush and powder eyeshadow are perfect. Soft- NO tugging, perfect angle and thin to get really close to base of lashes and easy control of line width. The zip-lock case packaging is a bonus. It's the "Synthetic Fiber Eyeliner Brush".

Next I'll be trying the SmashBox and Stila shadows (recommended here) for this application method...finally a way I can wear eyeliner w/ a soft look that stays put.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I would recommend all the brushes for eyes from MAC. I think their brushes for face are not dense or big enough. I got my kabuki brush from cat cosmetics, which is very lovely.
Vibs

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 am      Reply with quote
The i.d. foundation brush (also good for applying rouge) is my favorite! Should have been listed, tiger_tim Wink
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |