Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Tips for less hair breakage and more growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
For one I've heard sleeping with a satin pillow case is good for your hair and skin as well. I guess no creases on your skin in the morning.

also would braiding at night help?

I'm doing another product study on myself for hair. I took some pics of my progress with city lips and it showed awesome results with that. Pics don't lie. I also showed my Obagi results on that same page I have my pics posted.

I started Jan Marini Age Intervention Eyelash a few weeks ago and have some good results so far. I'm posting those next week.It says maximum results in 6 months so I'll take photos monthly. Eyebrows are looking great too.

But this new one is for a product to grow hair faster. Shapely's Main N Tail Groom. It is for horse tails. Yep. And it is not the one from the 90s we remember. Dif company and dif consistancey even. Some users have said they had from 1/2 inch in two weeks to 3/4 inch in a week and a half. I just started tongith and will take some "before" shots tomorrow. I bleach my hair so my roots will really show if it is growing. I'll also take pics of the back of my hair. It is smelly and oily and I apply it only to my scalp at bedtime. I had to try it with the results I've heard from a gal on another board who I've seen on there for awhile. Very trustworthy.

Will keep you posted... Very Happy
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! and another tip for hair: Not washing daily. only 2 or 3 times a week. And try to air dry as much as possible. If your hair is long, just pony it on the second or third day.

Just seeing if others can add to this list.
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
MMhh...Very interesting! Do you know what the ingredients are in this horse tail product? I guess I'd be worried that it might contains equine hormone Embarassed. Can you tell us more about it? you said it was smelly and oily- does that mean that the smell is offensive? do you wear it at night only and have to wash your hair in the morning? how often do you have to use it?

I posted another suggestion about 2/3 down the page of this thread: www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11390&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
about best times to cut hair to encourage growth according to the lunar cycle.

Carrie has mentioned that her hair grew considerably faster after she started taking Biosil ( a liquid silicon supplement by jarrows- it's supposed to be the most absorbable).
keziah
5% products discount

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:04 am      Reply with quote
this might be helpful :

... Always use a specially treated band when you put your hair in a braid or ponytail. This will prevent hair breakage and loss that results from using a plain rubberband.

... Never sleep in a tight braid or ponytail. This practice could cause hair breakage and loss.

... Always remove tangles from your hair with a pick or brush before shampooing. This will prevent unnecessary knots and tangles and make hair easier to dry, style and braid..

... If you plan on using a new braid for a special event (e.g. wedding or prom) then practice the new braiding style several times before the big event arrives. This will guarantee great results.

... Never brush wet hair. This will guarantee breakage. Use a good pick or your fingers to untangles your hair as you dry it. Hair should be at least 90-95% dry before brushing it.

... Braid your hair while still damp and allow the hair to dry while braided. This will add beautiful waves to the hair.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Wenrwdy@aol.com, where did you buy the Shapely's Main N Tail Groom??? Do you remember what you paid for it???

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
http://www.shapleys.com/products/originalmtg.htm

They have a small 6 oz for less than $10 and the larger one for $16.95 I think. I just got that. I didn't want to be on a roll and then have to order more.

The person who told me about it wa bi-racial and posted on a "black hair care" forum. So I went there and read about their success with it. And when I talked to the person on the phone at Shapelys, they told me a lot of women are ordering it for themselves and they are getting ready to do there own study on human b/c of the success on human hair. Now they said the women are all mostly African American so I think the secret just hasn't gotten out yet.

MTG is a sulfur oil based product.

I am also going to be adding some hair products from Skin Biology.

One is the sample pack of Folligen Sample Pack
of Folligen /"Kit contains a quarter ounce each of Folligen Cream, Folligen Lotion, and Emu Oil S for Hair."
http://store.skinbiology.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=670
And Folligen Solution Therapy Spray
"Strong aqueous copper peptide solution. To improve scalp and follicle health and hair vitality."
http://store.skinbiology.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=670
This person used all of this including MTG and had 3/4 inch in a little over a week.

so I am doing everything she is doing and I will take pic along the way.

From SkinBiology.com
Folligen Lotion, Folligen Cream and Folligen Solution Therapy Spray

Folligen is sold in three versions: (1) Folligen Cream which that works well on hairlines, (2) Folligen Lotion, a more liquid solution, for using in areas of denser hair, and (3) Folligen Solution Therapy Spray which can be sprayed as a fine mist into the hair. The Cream and the Lotion have been available for over two years as unadvertised products that customers requested. Most of our sales are re-orders by customers. Folligen Spray has been available for only three months but we are receiving significant re-orders already.

Folligen® is a non-drug product designed by Dr. Loren Pickart to improve scalp and hair follicle health and hair vitality. Folligen is especially useful in helping to reduce scalp irritation caused by other hair growth products such as Rogaine® (minoxidil), Retin-A® (retinoic acid) and Propecia®. Compare Folligen Cream or Folligen Lotion at $19.95 and Folligen Solution Therapy Spray ( 8 oz.) for $36.95 to Tricomin Solution Follicle Spray (6 oz) by ProCyte for $48.00 and GraftCyte Solution® 5.7 oz.) for $125.00 which are products based on Dr. Pickart's earlier hair health inventions. Click here to compare US patents on Folligen vs GraftCyte® and Tricomin®.

Folligen Solution has 9.0 times more copper peptides per ounce than Concentrated Graftcyte® and 31.8 times more copper peptides per ounce than Tricomin® (Source - Evergreen Analytical Labs, Redmond, WA).

All Folligen products contain a high concentration of blue-colored copper-peptide complexes and do not contain any blue dyes or scalp damaging detergents or alcohol. Tricomin contains blue dyes apparently to give the impression of more copper-peptide complexes. Folligen Solution Therapy Spray uses small amounts of polysorbate 20 and propylene glycol to enhance the uptake of copper-peptide around the hair follicle.

Folligen Lotion to Restore Scalp Health after Dyes, Permanent Waving and Chemical Hair Straighteners

Folligen Lotion is also used to restore scalp health and normal hair growth after dyes, permanent waving and hair straighteners. Visit Hair Damaged by Relaxers and Perms

Read more here:

http://www.folligen.com/index.html#Folligen%20Lotion%20and%20Folligen%20Cream%20-%20For%20scalp
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Here is a forum where she discusses using the MTG with the Skin Bio products. Her question was could she use the two types together safely.

answer is yes. she even posts an email she got from the president of Shapely's with the history of the product. Very interesting...

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1990018252/m/7420019114
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the info wendy@aol.com! the ingredient that concerns me right off the bat is petroleum distillates- especially since it's being applied so close to the brain. I looked up cade oil since I had no idea what it was. Apparently it's distilled from the wood of a species of juniper (Juniperus Oxyderus) and the oil is used in cosmetics and skin treatment preparations. I found some good info in the British Pharmaceutical Codex at this site: www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/bpc1911/juniperus-oxyc-oleu.html
The petroleum distillates appear to be the solvent for the cade oil. Isn't there a more benign solvent for this??? hmm I'd definitely try it were it not for this!
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I use coconut oil on my hair, i put a little bit in my palm, rub it around and then smoosh it into my hair, first at the ends and up a little towards the ears, then when it's all mostly gone i smooth my hands over the entire length.

that's gone a HUGE way towards keeping my ends healthy.

also, dusting. dusting is when you get a pair of hair scissors (household scissors do not work, they're not sharp enough and can cause more damage) and sit in a light source (i like the sun) and snip off splits and broken hairs. it sounds tedious, and maybe the first few times it is a bit, but over time it really has made a difference in my hair, also, it gets better where there's only a few at a time Smile
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I found another good web site for essentisl oils:

http://12121.hostinguk.com/guide%200oils.htm

Here's what they say about Cade oil: it has a very pungent aroma, reminiscent of smoked kippers Confused (and you have to leave it on overnight??? sounds like another a good method of birth control LOL!). Its for external use only and must be diluted with a carrier oil such as Sweet Almond oil before applying to skin. It's non-toxic and non-irritant with possible sensitization in some people. It's an ABORTIFACIENT- do not use if you are pregnant!

So maybe sweet almond oil or coconut oil could replace the petroleum distillates? Another website said to mix Cade oil with Aloe Vera liquid gel (10 drops oil to 4 spoonfuls Aloe) for dandruff , leave on for 15 minutes then wash off, so I wonder if the oil would really mix with the Aloe in the proportions needed to make a hair thickening/growth prep hmm .
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I'd so love to chat on this thread, but I'm pooped and I have to get up at 0400 for work....ick. That said, I will chime in with a comment from the peanut gallery. No product can make your hair grow faster, longer, etc. The trick is finding gentle products and changing how one cares for long hair vs. short hair. For me, short hair is by the shoulders...either right above or below. For others, short is by the ears. Voicing your definition of short hair is important a)when speaking/choosing any stylist and b)when choosing hair products.

The real idea is finding products that don't damage the hair you have. DOn't quote me, but I believe most folks average about 1/2 inch a month (slower in winter, faster in summer...topic for another thread). Smile That is why hair stylists tend to ask when your last hair cut was and automatically chop off 3 inches...even if you don't need it. Mad

By caring for your hair as suggested by those above, you can minimize damage...resulting in healther and longer hair...since it doesn't need to be hacked off.

Also, genetics play a role. If you are dying for waist length hair, but everyone in your family has fine, wispy hair that struggles to reach their shoulders...odds are it is not in the cards for you. This is a reality my mother lives with...or refuses to accept. I'm NOT picking on fine haired people! (I Love you MOM!) Very Happy

FYI: My grandparents hail from Finland and my mother has the fine blow away hair like her folks, but the heart of a Californian who loves the beach, long hair, and the perfect wave. Unfortunately, after a day at the beach her hair is snarled from even the slightest wind and is too fine to hold any hair ornament for long. She wears a lot of hats.

I have come to believe there is a unique hair length for each person. What I mean is that I think each person has a unique hair length (due to hair type, lifestyle, genetics, ect). It just seems the hair stops really growing beyond that length (whatever it may be for you). Now, I know hair continues to grow, but I'm talking the length when one's hair starts breaking, thinning, splitting, etc and the hair isn't gaining any real length. There comes a length when the hair just doens't do well. That said, I do think a lot depends on any chemical processes done, how oily your hair is, the care you can give it will greatly increase or decrease whatever length you have.

FYI: I was lucky and ended up with her coloring, but my paternal parents hair. My hair ends below my bra strap. Somewhere between that and 4 or so inches below...I haven't measured in a while. I just cut off another inch making it around 3 or 4 in the last couple months. I think I'm around 29-32 inches. I don't think I could get to my waist or below even if I tried-which I'm not. My hair is fine and it just starts to wear out where it is now. Besides, I have been seriously lazy about hair care recently and my hair shows it. Hair is way more time intensive than people think. Ok, long, HEALTHY hair is harder than people think. It is like caring for old lace.
WOW! I am tired. NOt only have I gone off on a tangent, but I forgot what the topic was. OH! Ok I'm back on track.

Forgive me. I'm on a muscle relaxer (my back is tweaking) and slathered in Weldas skinfood and an organic Rescue cream my hubby was talked into. I'm greasy and super tired, but before I sign off let me add. I like braiding before bed. A loose braid helps keep my hair from getting knotted as I sleep.

Also, I often wear my hair in a bun type knot. Your hair must be fairly long, but take it like a pony tail (I like mine loose) and twist it and make loop. Pull hair thru. I have extra hair so I do it again (same loop). I tuck in the ends. Sometimes I use 1or 2 of the long bobbi pins to secure it or a tortise hair clip/claw. Keeps my hair up but pretty safe from damage plus it looks nice (and very sexy when one takes it down right Wink .

EASY TIP: If you love that french braid that looks like the hair is draping the neck (I suck at description...hmmm, I think its very romantic looking). Any who, just start to french braid like you usually do, but as you go down- pull the braid away from the head. The farther away you braid it, the more dramtic the drape is. Think like braiding the crown and when the braid curves down - trying to keep it parrall to the floor. Keep gathering hair like normal and keep the braid 'tight' by staying at the same distance from the head. When you are done the braid looks beautiful and very lovely decorated with babys breath....I did it on my kid sister for a wedding. Also if you have long bangs or face layering...the babys breath (or any decortation) can disguise pinning back those pieces into your hair. You can also tuck the braid under for a different look suitable for work. The drape can be as subtle or dramatic as you choose. Its all in the distace from your melon. Very Happy Hope it helps. I love braids and don't do it nearly as often as I should. I can do others better than my own. The rope braid and herringbone are both stunning too.

Oh, pooh! Another tangent... time for bed. Try Madora products. I love the hair brush (natural boars hair--a must IMO), the wide tooth comb (perfect for wet hair no matter the length) and the conditioners. Good night!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Well I was told that taking a MSM supplement can help with hair growth. But when I went to GNC, the guy said he never heard of it. so I googled it and did find some info.

This article (well ad rather-must factor that in) tells how it can help:

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip904.htm

It explains taking it alone or with their own combo of MSM and other supplement can indeed help.

About.com also has some info on Sulfer and hair growth. this is not an ad.(but has sponsored links) The article refers to a book, The Miracle of MSM, by drs. Stanley Jacob and Donald Lawrence about MSM and hair. and results to their own studies.

http://hairloss.about.com/od/preventinghairloss/a/Sulphur.htm

Although this little footnote is worth considering as well: "Although these results are intriguing there is no widely-published evidence that taking excessive amounts of MSM will improve health problems unless a sulphur deficiency is present first."

Like everything, just take from it what you want and make sure you are being safe. Since it says it cannot hurt, I will go out and get some MSM to take orally along with the Sulpher topical I am treating my hair with at night. AND I'll post my results.
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
I take the HA pills with MSM.. What I've read about it, is that MSM does help hair and nails..

I don't really understand what's being said about this product, Shapleys Main and Tail, and using it on ourselves, sorry.. Why is it sposed to be bad??

I'd like to give it a try.. I know several people that got great results from the Main and Tail, back in the 90's, and others that didn't, including myself..
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I am really interested in finding out if wenrwdy@aol.com has had success with this product... I realize it hasn't been a week yet, but any noticeable roots yet?
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I can see some growth. I took pics on sat and will do more after 2 weeks of use. I should be getting the SKin Bio hair stuff early next week and from what I've heard that really kicks it in high gear.

The one from the 90s was Mane N Tail. I used that and it was just a thick conditioner and it did nothing. I think I may have gotten it confused with this one which is called Mane Tail Groom. It was formulated in the 30s so it has been around a long time. It is more of an oily consistency.
Bevmac

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I use drops of tea tree oil in my shampoo, condition as usual and rinse with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in approx 4 cups of water.
pipi_o
5% products discount

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I take biotin supplements and I've noticed an increased rate of growth.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm also taking MSM (1500mg twice daily) Biotin, (2500McG) Inistol (500 mg twice daily) and Prenatal Vitamins which have a ton of Folic Acid in it.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I've read that biotin is supposed to be good for encouraging hair growth, but never tried it. I do take MSM although probably not consistently enough to get results (was trying it as a half-hearted cure for melasma!). I'd love to know if you start to see results from this cocktail.
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if you use any styling products.

But stuff that you can use that's more gentle than commercial products.

Aloe Vera gel and Flax Seed Gel (boil a tablespoon of flax in a cup of water until it starts to get gooey, strain out the flax seed) both make decent hair smoothers and control products, just use them like you'd use any other gel.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Here are some other tips:

Use a thermal protector when using heat. See "thermal protectors" under conditioners
2) Do not blow-dry the hair completely dry. Leave a little moisture in.
3) Use a conditioner with U.V. protectors built in.
4) Use a low or no ammonia hair color.
5) Air oxidize perms instead of using the neutralizer.
6) Never brush wet or damp hair. Use a wide toothed comb. See "tools"
7) On dry hair use a boar’s hair brush and start at the ends and work up.
Cool Clarify your hair after you swim.
9) Blow dry on the "cool" setting.
10) Eat protein rich foods (chicken, fish, nuts) - Eat foods rich in essential fatty acids (not from animal sources [they contain cholesterol]-only from botanical sources) -
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, I got 1/4 inch of new hair growth this week with the MTG and supplements!!! I had my hubby look at it and tell me what he saw. He was the one who took pics of my roots last week so he was impressed. I'll have him take new ones tonight and post tomorrow.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
WHta is MTG???? I Take MSM and use copper/peptides and Rogaine and have seen some improvement. I just made a new serum from Rogaine and soem active I bought from Skin Active (including KGF). I'll report if I see anything good with this.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
This is what I wrote at the beginning of the thread. Its crazy but it is obviously working.

what CPS do you use?

Shapely's Main N Tail Groom. It is for horse tails. Yep. And it is not the one from the 90s we remember. Dif company and dif consistancey even. Some users have said they had from 1/2 inch in two weeks to 3/4 inch in a week and a half. I just started tongith and will take some "before" shots tomorrow. I bleach my hair so my roots will really show if it is growing. I'll also take pics of the back of my hair. It is smelly and oily and I apply it only to my scalp at bedtime. I had to try it with the results I've heard from a gal on another board who I've seen on there for awhile. Very trustworthy.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 5:15 am      Reply with quote
I'll look for that is it sold in normal stores?

I use Folligen, the new serum I made has the copper peptide sold by Skin Actives. I've only used it for two days but I'll let you know if I see any new growth.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |