Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have been smoking now for 20+ years and I am seriously thinking about quitting. Just wondered if there were any other smokers out there in the same place I am or not?
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I need to give up smoking! I've been smoking for around 6 years, so not as long as you yet, but I smoke way too much Embarassed and I'm desperate to give up.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Girls, quit smoking as soon as possible!!! I smoked for 9 years and this is my 16th year stopped smoking. I used to put the cigarette on the right side of my mouth, the result is - I have more crow feet on the right side, I have more wrinkles under my right eye, I have forehead lines on the right side, and my laugh line on the right side is more pronounced. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I smoked a lot for those 9 years - 1 to 1.5 pack per day.

Quit smoking for your health and your beauty!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for replying both. MACrisis - has your skin improved at all after you stopped smoking, or is this another "once the damage is done, it's done" type of thing?
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I Smoked from age 22 to 31. From age 31 to 46 I didn't really pay attention to my skin. I'm sorry I can not tell you if "once the damage is done, it's done". But I remember right before I quit I noticed I had few lines above my upper lip and my lipstick runs a little. Now, 47, I don't have any lines above my upper lips at all. I went crazy trying and buying skin care products since last June but I did not buy anything for the lines above my upper lip. So, I guess it was reversed. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks MACrisis. That is encouraging, though I have smoked a lot longer than you! I wish I had stopped in my 30's.
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I like smoking. Sad
I think about quitting, but I really want to. I guess if I had to I would, like when I was pregnant, but if I know I don't have to I know I won't. I have absolutely NO will power.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
It helps to find something that you like more than smoking as an activity that is incompatible with it. It would be hard to smoke while scuba diving! Laughing
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I quit smoking after I found out I was pregnant but picked it up right after I stopped breast feeding my daughter. When my daughter was almost 2 years old, one day I saw her putting a pencil in her mouth and puffing. I stopped smoking in front of her. (I smoked outside while she was inside watching me.) Few weeks later, I did not know how, but she had a cigarette in her mouth and pretended puffing. I quit smoking about 1 month after.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis - I did the same thing when I was young. Too bad it didn't encourage my parents to quit. I started smoking at 15. I very quickly transitioned out of the young social smoking stage. I quit at 27 and at that point I'd been smoking 2 packs a day for a few years. If something went wrong that day I'd easily hit 3 packs. I quit 1 1/2 years ago.

My grandma is 79 and has never smoked or tanned. My mom is 55 and loves the sun and smokes. My grandma looks younger than my mom and even seems to be in better overall health. When my mom moved across country to live in the same town as me I got to see her more often. It was hard to ignore the leather saggy wrinkled skin. I don't think she's stopping coughing in the 3 years she's been close to me. And then there's that amazing stench that no perfume or breath mint will hide.

My dad's teeth are about to fall out. They're almost entirely black. He doesn't have insurance and I can imagine that if he could afford it he'd have dentures. I'm half tempted to buy them for him. How's that for a father's day present? Sad My dad's not the kind of man that cries if you know what I mean. I didn't even tell him I quit since I knew how much it would mean to him. I didn't want to get is hopes up in case I failed. I told him on my one year anniversay and he was bawling.

Seeing my parents like this was all the incentive I needed to quit and STAY quit. Do I want to be like my grandma or my mom and dad? Easy choice.

PLEASE find a way to quit. Your entire body will thank you.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Misha - that was inspiring. How did you quit, cold turkey, etc? Any advice is appreciated. My quit date is Monday.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl- Congrats on your decision to quit!

My fiance quit three years before I did and the whole time we were living together. He never really bugged my about it. But with him and my parents I knew I'd have to quit soon. I quit cold turkey unexpectedly.

I got bronchitis. I'm very familiar with Mr. Bronchitis. I quit every time he comes to visit but I always managed to start back up again. That time was different because of my parents and my fiance.

I didn't really do anything special. No special tricks. Just one day at a time. Soon before I quit I started listening to my body. I struck me one day that I was not healthy at all. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without panting like a dog. It felt like I weighed 300lbs instead of 115lb. If I was in that bad of shape at 27 how would I be at 37 or 47?

I found a website with a support group. www.about.com has a quit smoking forum that's very active with wonderful people. They are the reason I'm still smoke free. You'll find info there about what your body goes through while quiting. You'll also find info about why quiting slowly almost never works. I'd always tried that and failed, now I know why. That website is filled with everything you'll need to educate yourself and arm yourself with support. You will make it. It's gonna suck at times but it will get better. For many, including me, the anticipation of quiting was SO much worse than actually quiting.

If you ever need to vent or an internet should to cry on PM me. Best of luck to you!
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Misha, that is sooo true about listening to your body. I can still remember the first time I could run for the bus with clear lungs and not be winded. It was a triumphant moment and it felt GREAT! Go Rileygirl, we are here for you!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much Misha and pnw for the encouragement. I did find a support group, but I definitely will check this one out also. I so know the "out of breath" feeling and I am so tired of it. I picked my quit date for this Monday. I am going cold turkey also. Thanks again for all the support!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Gave up for a year and half. Just walked past a building one day, saw everyone standing outside with a pile of butts around their feet, felt sick and then gave up.

Then I started again (hubby smokes at home all the time) and not doing very well at quitting. Sad
I know I need to really want to if it will work. Have cut down a lot though.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, a support group is a great idea. I had to change my whole lifestyle to avoid cigs when I was quitting, I just didn't have the willpower to be around them at all. The patch helped me tremendously, too, as my cravings weren't so urgent and all-consuming and I could ignore them better as little annoyances.

And having a hubby that smokes I can imagine is tough. Do you think your hubby has ever wanted to quit? Maybe if both of you worked on quitting together and put the money you saved from cigs each day in a jar, you could decide on a big reward for yourselves when you reach a certain long-term point?
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Money thing doesn't work as he travels a lot for work so he gets 200 for the price of 40 here in the UK. Packs and packs in the cupboards. I did enforce a no smoking in the living room rule which made him cut down though Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I'm worried about the husband smoking thing, too, as mine smokes and as of this minute does not want to quit. My only hope will be that he sees me doing this and will then want to also, like a competition for him as this is what motivates him, competing with someone!
sunshynebug
5% products discount

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone
I quit about 6 months ago for 4 months then i picked back up. I would give anything if i had'nt picked up again. then i quit again for about 3 weeks. but stuck another cig in my mouth. i want to quit so bad but i can't seem to kick it. but i think i will try again, starting monday also. i felt so much better when i didn't smoke
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've given up also for months before, and I don't know why on earth I start again. Like you said I felt so much better the times I had stopped and the first time I smoke again it tastes vile to me once more, but yet I continue and before I realise I'm back to smoking a packet a day again.

It really is a huge incentive to give up, when you realise how much healthier you felt when you weren't smoking. I have to give up in the next week or so. I'm due to be having surgery on my jaw in the near future, and I can't continue to smoke throughout my treatment, so i'm going to be going cold turkey again too.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Girls, if you really wanted to quit smoking, QUIT IT NOW!!! Why set a date?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Do you need to find a perfect day to quit? Does it have to be new moon or full moon???? Why it's always next Monday or next month? I know it's hard. I've been through it. Set your mind and DO IT!!!

5% products discount

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:01 am      Reply with quote
don't have time to expand right now, but I've smoked for about 25 yrs, (since I was 15) 1-2 packs a day.

I quit once for 3 yrs and then ended up going back to smoking.
I quit quite a few times over the years for 3 months at a time, and then would go back.
I just quit this year. Forced to due to bladder cancer and surgery. I quit for a couple of weeks before and after surgery, but after that once I felt better, I had a few cigs here and there in the evenings. It was very difficult - a stressfull time and I wasn't ready to quit but was forced to quit. Smoked for 2 months - but a lot less. About a pack a week.

Then I quit the end of April and haven't had a cigarette since. So almost 3 months now. I finally was more mentally prepared. Really hoping I can make it past the 3 month mark. Rolling Eyes

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
This is great. Maybe we can post our progress and let each other know how we are doing with our quit? I wish everyone good luck with this. MACrisis, I do agree with you about quitting now, but I planned for Monday so I would have all the stuff that I needed by then, and also get my car cleaned out of the nasty smell, (it lets me have the weekend to shop and clean) so that is why I set mine for Monday. I will post daily and let everyone know how it is going, I hope more people will join in with me!
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl - I wish you luck and strength on taking your first step!

Have you ever tried to quit before for any amount of time?

I've known people where making a 'quit date' works. For me, personally, it doesn't.

I haven't read this book, but I've heard it highly recommended: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402718616/sr=8-1/qid=1153453940/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4080891-8819836?ie=UTF8
I've seen it mentioned on different message boards with high praise, and on Amazon it has 5 star review ratings. You should check it out, and read some of the reviews on Amazon.

My favorite thing about not smoking? Not smelling of smoke!

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
luvmykitties - I ordered the book already (!) and was hoping for arrival today, but it looks like tomorrow via the tracking information update. Anyway, no I really have never tried to stop before for any length of time. I don't know if this means I will not make it my 1st time or not, but I have to go for it.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |