Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: NIA24
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
LizaA wrote:
Thanks for that. The rash is still here even though I've stopped using Nia24. I think I will get some antihistamines from the chemist and see how I go. I asked my brother to have a look when he dropped by (thank go for a doctor in the family!) and he thinks it looks like folliculitis.

Has the rash gone away for anyone after prolonged use?

I posted in another topic that I had rash like acne totally covering my forehead. It started shortly after I started to take Zantac (for reflux) so I immediately stopped taking the Zantac and also any new products I had started within the previous 2 months. That included NIA24 skin strengthing complex (using 2 months) and the scrub (using 2 weeks). I plan on starting them back one at a time into my routine after my skin clears up, but it's been over 2 weeks and I still have quite a few bumps. I've been exfoliating like crazy. It sucks to go from a perfect smooth forehead, to a dry bumpy forehead. I am wondering now if it is maybe that folliculitis that you mentioned. I tried googling it but couldn't find any pictures. What did your brother recommend you use to clear it up?

Well, the rash is no longer itching an some have formed a crusty look. Noice... hoping that these won't leave a mark after they disappear like some rashes can.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
LizaA wrote:
Thanks for that. The rash is still here even though I've stopped using Nia24. I think I will get some antihistamines from the chemist and see how I go. I asked my brother to have a look when he dropped by (thank go for a doctor in the family!) and he thinks it looks like folliculitis.

Guess what...I STILL have the rash on my upper arms, and I have not used it since my initial use a week ago. Sad It does look like folliculitis, but I have never had that before, and it surely wasn't there before I used the Nia24 scrub.

The darned crap won't go away! Mad Mad Mad I am going to try using hydrocortisone every day and see what that does...I am already taking benedryl at night, but can't during the day because I only get paid if I can stay AWAKE and THINK when I work. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
LizaA wrote:
Diana P wrote:
LizaA wrote:

I posted in another topic that I had rash like acne totally covering my forehead. It started shortly after I started to take Zantac (for reflux) so I immediately stopped taking the Zantac and also any new products I had started within the previous 2 months. That included NIA24 skin strengthing complex (using 2 months) and the scrub (using 2 weeks). I plan on starting them back one at a time into my routine after my skin clears up, but it's been over 2 weeks and I still have quite a few bumps. I've been exfoliating like crazy. It sucks to go from a perfect smooth forehead, to a dry bumpy forehead. I am wondering now if it is maybe that folliculitis that you mentioned. I tried googling it but couldn't find any pictures. What did your brother recommend you use to clear it up?

Well, the rash is no longer itching an some have formed a crusty look. Noice... hoping that these won't leave a mark after they disappear like some rashes can.

I read that antifungal cream can treat folliculitis so after my shower tonight I put Monostat cream on my forehead. (BTW someone once recommended that for my son's eczema but I never tried it). I just found some pictures though of folliculitis and it doesn't look like the rash I have. I'm leaving the cream on though to see if it does anything. Maybe try cortisone cream again tomorrow. Sad
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
I saw pics of folliculitis, mine looks like those individually raised bumps without the pus and ingrowns. The reddness has faded and has become closer to skin coloured bumps. It certainly doesn't look like hives which is more irregular and inconsistent in size. It itches every now and then. I know this isn't eczema. It does look like I have lesion of small tiny warts all over my chest. Mmmm....lovely! Very Happy

I'll see if the antihistamine and the cortisone cream will fix it. I just don't understand why I'd have this reaction on my chest but not my neck or face.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Liza, the chest area is more sensitive..I never would have guessed it till I tried using NIA on my chest. I have very resilient skin and was too ..um...cheap to buy the NIA for the chest since I had half a tube of NIA. I mean I can use retina-a on my chest and just get a bit of dryness. NIA made my chest red and itchy, although I didn't get any bumps like you guys describe. I can imagine what it would do to sensitive skin. Oh, I didn't have a problem with the scrub nor with NIA on my face.I still like the effect of smooth skin and it really does work on sun damage....I guess I'll have to get the NIA for the chest...sorry decolltage Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote
LizaA wrote:
I saw pics of folliculitis, mine looks like those individually raised bumps without the pus and ingrowns. The reddness has faded and has become closer to skin coloured bumps. It certainly doesn't look like hives which is more irregular and inconsistent in size. It itches every now and then. I know this isn't eczema. It does look like I have lesion of small tiny warts all over my chest. Mmmm....lovely! Very Happy

I'll see if the antihistamine and the cortisone cream will fix it. I just don't understand why I'd have this reaction on my chest but not my neck or face.

Liza, that is exactly what mine looks like. Sad

They did look better this morning after applying the cortisone last night, so I am going to keep doing that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
LizaA wrote:

Liza, that is exactly what mine looks like. Sad

They did look better this morning after applying the cortisone last night, so I am going to keep doing that.

Mine are raised skin colored bumps also. I tried cortisone cream the first few nights because I thought it was an allergic reaction to the Zantac. It seemed to help abit but didn't clear it up. But after using Monistat cream last night and again this morning, my forehead is looking much better. I guess any antifungal cream would work but it's all I had on hand. I'm hoping it will clear it right up quickly. I started taking the Zantac again last night and if my skin doesn't break out again then I will next bring the skin strengthening cream back in. I really don't think it was that because I had been using it for 2 months. I'm now wondering if it was the scrub since I had only been using it for 2 weeks. I hope it isn't because I really like the scrub. I hate the guessing game, especially when it involves my skin. Sad
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I don't know why I knew?? but I line this product would be a winner for my neck and chest six months ago. I purchased the chest and hand cream really to even out my neck and chest area and I have had great results. I use this in conjunction with my Vitamin C and Retin A.

Also just for Bethany if she comes back on this thread I am spot free I am happy to report after 6 months of completely changing my skin care routine.
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried using a LED device on the rash? I wonder if it would help or make matters worse... Confused
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:03 am      Reply with quote
platinumrose wrote:
Also just for Bethany if she comes back on this thread I am spot free I am happy to report after 6 months of completely changing my skin care routine.

I am going to try REALLY hard not to be jealous, sigh.... Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:
Has anyone tried using a LED device on the rash? I wonder if it would help or make matters worse... Confused

Iif anything, it might dry them out a bit. I'll give it try...thanks for the idea!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:55 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Magica wrote:

Iif anything, it might dry them out a bit. I'll give it try...thanks for the idea!

It worked! Very Happy
Two days of using my Tända (and taking antihistamines) and my skin is almost back to normal. All that's left are a couple of dry patches on my forehead and jawline.

I really wish I could use the NIA24 cream on my face after seeing those great before and after pics, but I definitely won't risk that reaction again! Still using the eye cream though.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
My skin likes the SSC better than the sunscreen which is a pity because it's so much more expensive than the sunscreen. I must say I'm pleased with the results so far. Skin is more even-toned and the irritating little bumps on my forehead seem to have flattened out.
dessine

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was thinking about getting the trial/travel pack for my mother. She has really bad eczema. She's tried every sunscreen the dermatologist has in her office and every sunscreen in the stores around town. She can't wear makeup anymore. All she can do is wash her face. I think this stuff might help her skin calm down, but I'm not sure. What do you all think?

I'm thinking she should start with the Skin Strengthening Complex every other day, then work up to more often, then add the sunscreen, etc?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
dessine wrote:
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was thinking about getting the trial/travel pack for my mother. She has really bad eczema. She's tried every sunscreen the dermatologist has in her office and every sunscreen in the stores around town. She can't wear makeup anymore. All she can do is wash her face. I think this stuff might help her skin calm down, but I'm not sure. What do you all think?

I'm thinking she should start with the Skin Strengthening Complex every other day, then work up to more often, then add the sunscreen, etc?

Considering that this made a bunch of us with healthy skin break out in rashes, I am not sure that I would recommend it for your mother.

Have you looked at 302 skin care line? It works very well for people with a number of skin care issues, and if you email them directly or ask Boski or Nemo on the 302 thread, they can give the appropriate advice for usage with eczema.

Here is the 302 thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28855

And here is the 302 Skincare website:
http://www.302skincare.com/

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:16 am      Reply with quote
dessine wrote:

Yes, I think that might be worth a try. Niacinamide is shown in at least one scientific study to be helpful in treating eczema because it has got the ability to replenish moisture to dry skin.

Quote:

Healtnotes Newswire (May 18, 2006) - A vitamin B3-fortified cream replenishes much-needed moisture to dry skin caused by eczema and is a more effective moisturizer for eczema than petroleum jelly, according to a recent study.

Vitamin B3 - also known as niacinamide - is an essential nutrient that is sometimes used topically to treat acne and rashes caused by sunlight. A study in the International Journal of Dermatology suggests that a cream containing niacinamide can also help moisturize skin that is afflicted by eczema (atopic dermatitis).

For up to eight weeks, 21 people with eczema on their forearms applied a 2% niacinamide cream to their left arm and petroleum jelly to their right arm two times per day.

Results of the study showed that significantly less water was lost through the skin after using the niacinamide cream, but not after using the petroleum jelly. While both treatments helped moisturize the skin, the niacinamide cream was much more effective.

The authors concluded that "niacinamide cream may be used as a treatment adjunct in atopic dermatitis".
(Int J Dermat 2005; 44:197-202)

http://www.medfinds.com/healthnotes.php?definition=1&org=medigrative&page=newswire/newswire_2006_05_18_3.cfm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I've been using a niacinamide serum that I made myself and when I used too much I had a similar reaction... I've diluted it since then and I'm only using it about twice a week. But hey at least I know that it works, and it's the same as the expensive stuff. I'm convinced that it is a good active so I'm continuing with it. I highly recommend making a DIY niacinamide serum since it's so easy and cheap.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Niacinamide is shown in at least one scientific study to be helpful in treating eczema because it has got the ability to replenish moisture to dry skin.

Very interesting!

One of my ZO products has Niacinamide in it and causes me no problem at all, but the NIA24 was just way too strong for me. Embarassed

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your input. I think I'll see if I can find something a little more benign than Nia24. (Better to be safe than sorry) Wink
Kitzone

Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I've been using a niacinamide serum that I made myself and when I used too much I had a similar reaction... I've diluted it since then and I'm only using it about twice a week. But hey at least I know that it works, and it's the same as the expensive stuff. I'm convinced that it is a good active so I'm continuing with it. I highly recommend making a DIY niacinamide serum since it's so easy and cheap.

Nimue could you share your recipe and where you obtain your ingredients?
havana8

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Kitzone wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Nimue could you share your recipe and where you obtain your ingredients?

Kitzone, here is the Niacinamide! thread started by Nimue from the DIY board:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31316&highlight=niacinamide

Welcome to EDS. Smile
Kitzone

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana8 for the info and well wishes!
mandm
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I also have some sample products , and have used a sample of NIA24 intensive recovery complex.
It goes on very smoothly, and sink very quickly.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Question about the Nia24 products: Can I use the sunscreen as a night cream since it contains 5% pro niacin? I dont want to be cheap but it has the same amount of active ingredients in it as the Skin Strengthening Complex so I was thinking of doing that. Also since it is a Physical sunscreen with Zinc and Titanium i thought it should be OK. Does anyone else do this?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I'd be very careful about using the sunscreen as a night cream. I had a weird rash-outbreak after three days of using the sunscreen. It's slowly clearing up, but I am now convinced that you have to be really careful with niacinamide and introduce it slowly.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |