Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I take a teaspoon of powdered MSM everyday - I've heard it's best this way VS in a tablet form.
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
thank you all for your advic and reviews on MSM. i think i will get some aswell

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking MSM for 4 months now (3000 mg/day) and I have noticed a positive difference in my hair texture and skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I just started taking MSM yesterday, can't wait to see exciting results Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Somewhere in this thread I read that the way to tell if the capsule form of MSM, was pure without fillers, was to put it in a glass of water, and see if it floats or sinks.

I decided to try MSM and bought the following, and it passes the test, so I wanted to let those of you know, who would prefer a capsule. I pored the contents of the capsule into half a glass of water, and it immediately began to sink, and completely dissolved within about 10 seconds..

It's "Nature's Way MSM 1000mg" (pure OptiMSM), vegetarian V Caps. It has no fillers or excipients, and the capsule is plant derived. 1 capsule = 1000mg. Here' the link to drugstore.com, where I purchased it.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=143095&catid=28464

ETA: 200 capsules are $13.49

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Somewhere in this thread I read that the way to tell if the capsule form of MSM, was pure without fillers, was to put it in a glass of water, and see if it floats or sinks.

I decided to try MSM and bought the following, and it passes the test, so I wanted to let those of you know, who would prefer a capsule. I pored the contents of the capsule into half a glass of water, and it immediately began to sink, and completely dissolved within about 10 seconds..

It's "Nature's Way MSM 1000mg" (pure OptiMSM), vegetarian V Caps. It has no fillers or excipients, and the capsule is plant derived. 1 capsule = 1000mg. Here' the link to drugstore.com, where I purchased it.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=143095&catid=28464

ETA: 200 capsules are $13.49

Nature's Way is a reputable and excellent brand. I read that their vitamins are good quality. The article was written by a doctor.

I bought my MSM powder from Bio-alternatives. The taste is not as bitter as the one I got from ebay which was supposed to be Lignisul brand. The Bio-alternatives one is USA made and the guy at bio-alternatives said comes from California. I hope it works good. I have no idea how to tell. I think their stuff must be pretty good quality though. I bought their Cervacrol EX (oil of oregano with 93% cervacrol) and emu oil, too. I like both. I also bought their chondroitin and glucosamine powder. Seems like good stuff.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I am happy to have finally started on this supplement, after reading all of the nice reviews.

I'm hoping to increase to 2000mg in a week in divided doses. I'm also back on 1000mg per day of Ester-C, which I've neglected lately. And I have to get more serious with my calcium intake, because I found out recently I have osteopenia....I'm trying to put off the fosamax for a while.

Oh how I wish I new 20 years ago, what I know now.. Taint fair I tell ya.. Rolling Eyes

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy~ Gl with the MSM...I know you mention how you wish you knew things a lot earlier..I know I may not be in your exact shoes, but I really am thankful for women like you and everybody else on this forum for sharing their regimens and what worked/didn't work. It's something you don't get everyday..Often times, people tend to keep their beauty secrets 'secrets' afterall, but not this forum..And I'm so grateful that we all have an avenue to share our secrets.

If it's anything to you, I wish I never stepped inside a tanning bed, which I think contributed to my hyperpigm. among sitting in the sun w/o sunscreen practically my whole life 'til hyperpigm. started.

Anywho, I give thanks to all the ladies and gents on this forum! Thanks for making it bearable to fight my skin challenges! Smile And thus far, I am a fan of MSM (Hair is stronger, nails are growing faster/thicker, and it may also be contributing to the lightening of my dermal hyperpigm)
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Any new updates on the MSM front with you girls?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
the msm_msm site has great prices - I was happy to see you can get the powder form in four pound packs. I've only ever purchased from Vitacost - and I like the site but this is definitely a better buy for a great product.
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sister Sweets~

I know you mentioned msm_msm.com...I purchased my first bottle of Trimedica Linguisil processed MSM from the local GNC, and then after using half the bottle, I gave it to my boyfriend b/c he wanted to start taking MSM for energy. Long story short, I ended up ordering from msm_msm, and I received a container of MSM that was really really clumpy. I didn't contact them about it or anything b/c it would probably have been a hassle, and I just finished the container a day ago, so I purchased the Trimedica MSM on vitacost today. I usually buy the Dr. Weil's antioxidants from vitacost anyways, so I added MSM to the order....Have you ever noticed clumping when you bought MSM from Vitacost??? I'm really curious if I'm the only one who encountered this problem. I think I've read somewhere that people saying something about shaking the bottle or what not...but seriously the clumps were not the kind that you could shake, they were like rock solid...I wonder if that meant it was old...

I don't mean to be party fool in any way...I'm really curious to see if others have noticed this w/buying from msm_msm. My first bottle of Trimedica MSM from GNC did not have this problem...So any info would be helpful!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Gellys,
On the Msm_msm site they mention that the product may get chunky when it is in humid conditions and state that it does not affect the products effectiveness.

I have not used their product before but I do know it is highly recommended (this is why I want to try it) and a good price. I have used the Source Natural MSM - powder from Vitacost with no chunking. I've been very happy with it.
vitacost is a great place to do business with - I've placed big orders there regularly and love the shipping fee - one price for all.
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sistersweets for the response! Yes, I do love ordering my vits from vitacost and the flat shipping rate is great as well! Thanks again for looking into the msm issue! Now, I can rest assured that the MSM was just fine...
grumpy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Can MSM be taken on an empty stomach?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I mix my powdered msm into V8 juice with silica drops and some glutamine (okay a little nuts! But...) I usually do this on an empty stomach and it's a-ok.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I have been instructed by a few different health professionals, to always take MSM with food.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
suzannek
5% products discount

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Is the reason for taking MSM along with food for absorption purposes? I try to eat something in the morning so as not to take it on an empty stomach, but I'm not usually hungry first thing in the morning. If I do take it without food, I do not experience any upset stomach or queasiness but I do wonder if I am getting the best absorption.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 am      Reply with quote
What do they mean by food? and how much? And do you know why it is advised taken withfood? I go to a holistic practitioner and she never told me that. Said I could mix in with vegetable juice in the morning so that's what i do. I add it to greenfood sometimes too.
I have found a variance in beliefs etc regarding supplementation practices.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
What do they mean by food? and how much? And do you know why it is advised taken withfood?

Once you are accustomed to it, you can take it with or without food, but it's a "sulfur" product, and that in itself can cause intestinal irritation, bloating + gas.

For people just starting to take it, it's recommended to take it with a full glass of water, or food, and to increase the dose gradually in divided doses. It's also recommended, not to take more than 4000mg per day.

A piece of bread or the like, qualifies as food, although it's fine with a full meal as well.

ETA: It's a water soluble supplement, and will be absorbed with or without food. A full glass of water will do the trick.

Sis; just follow your V8 with some plain water!
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Just got this from a US ebay seller: "we do not ship to your country, the customs in your country will not allow this item unless you have a prescription".

News to me! Its impossible to find MSM powder in bulk from the UK. Sad

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
What do they mean by food? and how much? And do you know why it is advised taken withfood?

Once you are accustomed to it, you can take it with or without food, but it's a "sulfur" product, and that in itself can cause intestinal irritation, bloating + gas.

For people just starting to take it, it's recommended to take it with a full glass of water, or food, and to increase the dose gradually in divided doses. It's also recommended, not to take more than 4000mg per day.

A piece of bread or the like, qualifies as food, although it's fine with a full meal as well.

ETA: It's a water soluble supplement, and will be absorbed with or without food. A full glass of water will do the trick.

Sis; just follow your V8 with some plain water!

That's about what my naturopath told me - Thanks Kassy!
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but what's the difference between MSM for humans and horses?

I feel silly asking, but I'm curious Confused

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
gonatural
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 am      Reply with quote
What is the benefit of taking ester-c with msm?
Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
So I've only made it to page 8, and I do plan on reading the entire thread, but until then I have a question. Anyone reading the KH thread may have read my comment about the pretty bad burn I received on the side of my breast from my air-heated curling iron when I dropped the iron and tried to catch it but only ended up squishing it between my arm and bare breast Confused . This was about 10 months ago and after the initial healng the scar hasn't changed in about the last 8 months. When I started on KH 8 weeks ago I rubbed a small about of the oxygen face onto the scar each day hoping it would help. I took a before picture but as you can see it's not that clear. Looked fine on the little screen on the camera and I'm kicking myself for not downloading it sooner because this picture really doesn't give justice to how bad it looked. It was purple and the darkest part of the scar is where the worst of the burn was and was actually indented in and the skin was very thin and tender to the touch. The area around was also burned, nt as badly, and had small red spider type veins all through it, which you can't really see in the photo. This is what I looked at every day for 10 months and expected it would not get any better. For the first couple weeks of using KH I did see a small amount of lightening of the skin but after that nadda so I quit using it. For the last 5-6 weeks I have used no cream on it and no change in the scar. 3 weeks ago I started using MSM for pigmentation on my face. For the last 2 weeks my dose has been 4000 mg. This morning while I was brushing my teeth I noticed a bright red mark on my breast and realized it was the scar! The indented part is now not indented in or tender but it's bright red. The little veins have started to disappear. I honestly don't know when this happened but it had to be in the last couple of days because I know I would have noticed this. And of course when I first noticed it this morning I panicked and thought something was wrong, but after thinking about it I thought maybe it was the MSM so I did a google and found that MSM will help scarring, even burn scars. Do you think that is what is happening? I am hoping that this is the first stages of it healing because the skin is thicker, but the bright read colour is confusing me. What do you all think?
ImageImage
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
So it's only been 6 days since my scar turned bright red. It's so weird, just like the indent filled itself in. As I mentioned in my last post I was worried that maybe I should be seeing a doctor but decided to give it a few days ans see what happened. And 6 days later I couldn't be more pleased. Smile As you can see the redness has gone down alot and the scar is smooth. I am continuing with 5000-6000 mg of MSM a day. BTW, I bought a jar of MSM tablets and realized it was full of fillers so I went to a health food store and asked for pure MSM, turns out they sold me capsules that also contained fillers. Rolling Eyes I tried putting both in a glass of water. The tables dissolved but left a bit of white powder in the bottom of the glass. The capsules (minus the casing) stayed as a scum on top of the water and would not mix in the water at all. I have been taking the capsules, and although I have no idea how my body is absorbing this, it does seem to be working and I will continue with this until I find pure MSM.

ImageImageImage
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |