Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Diana...very interesting!

Are your pics in order of how the burn changed color?

Also, you might want to consider adding some Tamanu oil on the top...it is supposedly very good for healing scars and burns (as in possibly better than emu oil).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Just an FYI for those interested in a pure MSM capsule with NO exipients or fillers, I highly recommend this one. And cheap too!

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=143095&catid=28464

As an aside; are you guys all experiencing amazing hair and nail growth? My hair is growing more than an inch per month, and I'm sick of trying to keep up with my long gray roots. Shock Rolling Eyes Shock I'm also having to trim my nails at least once per week, and they are hard as rocks for the first time in my life..

I'm really surprised considering I only take 1000mg per day.

I'm loving this stuff!

ETA: I just noticed the full name of this thread, and NO, I didn't lose body fat or get tighter skin... Sad
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
So I've only made it to page 8, and I do plan on reading the entire thread, but until then I have a question. Anyone reading the KH thread may have read my comment about the pretty bad burn I received on the side of my breast from my air-heated curling iron when I dropped the iron and tried to catch it but only ended up squishing it between my arm and bare breast Confused . This was about 10 months ago and after the initial healng the scar hasn't changed in about the last 8 months. When I started on KH 8 weeks ago I rubbed a small about of the oxygen face onto the scar each day hoping it would help. I took a before picture but as you can see it's not that clear. Looked fine on the little screen on the camera and I'm kicking myself for not downloading it sooner because this picture really doesn't give justice to how bad it looked. It was purple and the darkest part of the scar is where the worst of the burn was and was actually indented in and the skin was very thin and tender to the touch. The area around was also burned, nt as badly, and had small red spider type veins all through it, which you can't really see in the photo. This is what I looked at every day for 10 months and expected it would not get any better. For the first couple weeks of using KH I did see a small amount of lightening of the skin but after that nadda so I quit using it. For the last 5-6 weeks I have used no cream on it and no change in the scar. 3 weeks ago I started using MSM for pigmentation on my face. For the last 2 weeks my dose has been 4000 mg. This morning while I was brushing my teeth I noticed a bright red mark on my breast and realized it was the scar! The indented part is now not indented in or tender but it's bright red. The little veins have started to disappear. I honestly don't know when this happened but it had to be in the last couple of days because I know I would have noticed this. And of course when I first noticed it this morning I panicked and thought something was wrong, but after thinking about it I thought maybe it was the MSM so I did a google and found that MSM will help scarring, even burn scars. Do you think that is what is happening? I am hoping that this is the first stages of it healing because the skin is thicker, but the bright read colour is confusing me. What do you all think?
ImageImage

Yes, MSM is known to help with healing of scares. I remember coming across that 7 years ago. I've had to go back on this thread to see how long I've been taking MSM, but I've noticed that I'm not as photosensitive to the sun as before. I've been using MSM and B vitamins.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Yes the photos are in order. The first is my before photo, the second was taken 4 weeks after starting MSM and the third was taken 6 days after that. And I want to stress, not only has the colour changed, but the skin has thickened and the scar has actually filled in. I'm still amazed! I even think the stretch marks on my breasts are not looking as deep, but they are from my first pregnancy 18 years ago so if there will be improvement in that it will take longer.
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I am also truly amazed. I have a scar from a cancerous mole I had removed on my leg that was red and has been that way for a year. The Dermatologist said it wouldn't lighten but it has not.

I just used the MSM and I can't believe how much the spot lightened just by using it once. It went from red to a light brown. A few more applications andnot that it will be completely gone but I bet hardly noticeable.

This board is wonderful with all the great tips.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
You mentioned "applications". Are you using a cream? What brand?
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
bethany wrote:

Yes the photos are in order. The first is my before photo, the second was taken 4 weeks after starting MSM and the third was taken 6 days after that. And I want to stress, not only has the colour changed, but the skin has thickened and the scar has actually filled in. I'm still amazed! I even think the stretch marks on my breasts are not looking as deep, but they are from my first pregnancy 18 years ago so if there will be improvement in that it will take longer.

Diana - These are some very IMPRESSIVE results; I am so happy for you!!! Smile If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to crush three pure MSM capsules into a powder and then dissolve this into 15-30 ml of pure aloe vera gel. This will create a topical mask that will augment your internal MSM routine. Every other day for a few weeks (at least), apply the MSM-aloe-gel to your skin for roughly 30 minutes and then rinse it off before applying emu oil or argan oil, or whatever you're using to treat this damaged scar tissue. I am hoping that you'll find the results are enhanced that much more with the additional use of topical MSM.

Please keep the updates coming! Smile

Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced weightloss with MSM. I am just about to start taking it for the first time. My mom swears by the stuff for all sorts of things. I have allergies (seasonal),and also always seem to have itchy inner ears, even when I'm not having seasonal allergies. I am also allergic to certain raw fruits, and I'm hearing more and more people report the same. Even organic. So far, I am allergic to apple, pears, peaches, plums, and cherries. Do you know if MSM has the potential of helping with any food allergies, or even bee allergies? I'm also allergic to bees. My son has just started having reactions to raw apples. Are kids able to take MSM? He's 10. My daughter is 12. Any info would be great. Thanks! Razz
annalee

Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and is is okay to take the powder from the capsules and put them in my juice, etc? Can you do that, or is it not recommended. I'm not good with swallowing a bunch of pills. It makes me want to throw up. I know you can buy the powder, but my mom ordered this one for me.
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:34 am      Reply with quote
I did what Scotlass did sorry- I mixed a small amount of aloe vera and poured capsules on my red non-cancerous mole. It is really lightening up after now two applications.

A friend showed me her cancerous mole that never healed on her neck. She just had it lasered and the derm said it wouldn't hurt. Well after about five times of zapping it she told her to stop, she couldn't stand the pain.

I showed her my mole on my leg and she was shocked as she remembered how red it was. So four MSM capsules and a little aloe vera or laser and pain.
I think I will stick with the MSM.

And yes, I do think MSM helps the skin and helps with weight loss. Would not be without it.
florli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Just came across this post today.

I was concerned about any potential side effects MSM might bring (my body becomes more allergic to anything in the recent years). After doing some quick research on the Internet, I am quite surprised with what I found. MSM is very little side effects (namely minor upset stomachs and loosened stool) but has dozens of benefits to human health!!

Here's a link to essentially everything you need to know about MSM:www.msmguide.com

ALRIGHT!! I am getting this stuff first thing tomorrow
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I got a question:

Can I take Ester-C instead of Vitamin C in conjunction with MSM? am I going to get the same result?? and do I have the same dosage as Vitamin C (1 MSM:2 Ester-C)?

Thanks for any replies in advance.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking MSM capsules for a while now for joint problems (I have a collagen deficiency which causes various problems) but I haven't noticed any benefits in either my joints, skin or hair.

I'm going to read through this thread and get some vitamin C capsules in the meantime. There's a lot of pages to plow through!

How much MSM is it safe to take?
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
So it's only been 6 days since my scar turned bright red. It's so weird, just like the indent filled itself in. As I mentioned in my last post I was worried that maybe I should be seeing a doctor but decided to give it a few days ans see what happened. And 6 days later I couldn't be more pleased. Smile As you can see the redness has gone down alot and the scar is smooth. I am continuing with 5000-6000 mg of MSM a day. BTW, I bought a jar of MSM tablets and realized it was full of fillers so I went to a health food store and asked for pure MSM, turns out they sold me capsules that also contained fillers. Rolling Eyes I tried putting both in a glass of water. The tables dissolved but left a bit of white powder in the bottom of the glass. The capsules (minus the casing) stayed as a scum on top of the water and would not mix in the water at all. I have been taking the capsules, and although I have no idea how my body is absorbing this, it does seem to be working and I will continue with this until I find pure MSM.

Diana, that's amazing if it's really the MSM. And good god that burn must have hurt! Confused

I brought my supplements from a company (Detox Your World) that claims to have "pure" MSN. I'll try the trick of mixing it with the water and see what happens.

Did you take the MSM with vitamin C or anything?
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
I brought my supplements from a company (Detox Your World) that claims to have "pure" MSN. I'll try the trick of mixing it with the water and see what happens.

Did you take the MSM with vitamin C or anything?

Is Detox Your World a store or online store? Did you try mixing it with water yet?

Yes, I take the MSM with either 500mg of vitamin C or a big glass of oj. I am back down to take only 1000mg MSM a day for the last couple weeks because the higher doses did not seem to sit well with my digestive system Embarassed . I'm going to gradually up the dose again. I am back on the Webber Naturals drugstore tablets because I noticed that they have the blue OptiMSM symbol on the jar, whereas the more expensive capsules from the health food store did not have the symbol. I really need to spend some time online and order the pure MSM.
DuchydeKenny

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using MSM powder for the past year. I mainly started it for the hair growth. Then I noticed the plumping of my skin.

I'd like go incorporate it with this goji berry juice I found online, but the juice is so expensive. Mix the powder in the goji juice.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Ester C is fine to take with MSM. Gradually increase your dosage, dividing it up morning and evening with a meal. I take about equivilent amounts of C and MSM. You can take lots of MSM (even 5000- 6000 mg) but only after you've worked up to that amount over a period of time. I never take more than about 3000 mg a day. I do not believe it helps with weight loss, but it will strengthen the body (structural ingetrity) and that may increase energy and ability to exercise to lose weight. I do think MSM may help with allergies, since my chronic sinus infections have decreased dramatically with the use of MSM (and a Neti Pot!)

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I am about to purchase a body cream containing 15% msm (plus rose hip, apricot kernel, sweet almond, jojoba oils;vit E, green tea etc).
Considering my superannuation has lost 40% on the ASX - so far!, I am cautious about parting with the $30-unless it actually works. Sad
Do you think it sounds like it will??
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:35 am      Reply with quote
juliemarie i just added some msm to my moisturiser. I also added some to my face toner.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone!

So, after reading (most) of this very informative thread - I decided to take the plunge and give MSM a try.

I've only been on it about a week now - and am up to 4000 mg a day. (2000 am/2000 pm)

Just wondering - how long do you think before people should start to see any changes in their health (and beauty concerns)?

Thanks so much in advance!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Hi Everyone!

So, after reading (most) of this very informative thread - I decided to take the plunge and give MSM a try.

I've only been on it about a week now - and am up to 4000 mg a day. (2000 am/2000 pm)

Just wondering - how long do you think before people should start to see any changes in their health (and beauty concerns)?

Thanks so much in advance!

I did the same as you, within 1 week I was at a 4000 mg dose, but after about 3 weeks I had to go back down to 500 mg a day because of headaches and GI issues. From my earlier post you can see I had amazing results with a burn scar and it is getting slowly better even with the low dose. I also noticed early results with my nails growing quicker, and my pigmentation is getting better although I am contributing that mainly to NIA24. I haven't noticed changes in hair growth but I had thick hair to start with.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
Is Detox Your World a store or online store? Did you try mixing it with water yet?

Yes, I take the MSM with either 500mg of vitamin C or a big glass of oj. I am back down to take only 1000mg MSM a day for the last couple weeks because the higher doses did not seem to sit well with my digestive system Embarassed . I'm going to gradually up the dose again. I am back on the Webber Naturals drugstore tablets because I noticed that they have the blue OptiMSM symbol on the jar, whereas the more expensive capsules from the health food store did not have the symbol. I really need to spend some time online and order the pure MSM.

Detox Your World is an online store, and they ship all over the world. They sell rare food items and ingredients as well as supplements. I don't know if the MSM is pure but the service of this company is excellent.

The MSM I have did dissolve after a few stirs but it doesn't have the OptiMSM symbol on it. The water wasn't completely clear though; it was cloudy. Is this right or would you say that's a sign of fillers?

Detox Your World prides itself on purity, but this could just be talk. You never know.

I have a lot of pills in the bottle still so I'll use them until they're gone. I've also decided to take larger doses: I was taking two supplements in the morning and two at night, but I upped the dose to three supplements twice a day after reading this thread. Eventually I'll start taking four twice a day. I will take them with vitamin C rich food also.

It might just be a placebo effect, but my skin does seem to be clearer already. My toes also don't seem to be as clicky. I'm a tough cookie to please Wink
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Diana,

Thanks for the response - very much appreciated. Luckily, thus far I've been okay with the GI issues and no headaches. (Other than the usual stress ones, but that's nothing new...)

I figure I'll keep going until the bottle is gone - like Fox.

I went the cheap/cheater way and just got my MSM supplements from Trader Joe's. I trust their products and the bottle of 1000 mg capsules was only $4.99. From reading this thread, it seems like most people take their MSM as a powder in a drink - but I know myself and I'll never end up sticking with that regimen... (Yeah, that's me - I want results but I'm lazy to...) Rolling Eyes
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:08 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Ester C is fine to take with MSM.

1) Is it better to take ester c or c ester (vit c) then? Or is there no difference?

2) Which form of vit c is everyone taking? Capsule form, chewable form or those big ones which fizzes upon contact with water?

3) Since MSM has a half life of 12 hours. Does this mean it is better for us to take it with the "normal" vit c and not the time release ones?

thanks Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I am only about 10 pages in on reading this thread and page 10 has brought up a question for me. I am taking opti-msm from vitacost (just started 1,000 mg daily last week). Anyway do you think this is a good brand?

Normally I love VitaCost and the NSI brand stuff but I'm concerned that when you 'test' these cap's by emptying them in water that the powder floats and won't sink, there is obviously some additive since you can see the film that is formed on the top of the water. So how much do you think this effects the quality / absorption of the msm?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |