Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
simpleMD wrote:
Stopped using MSM But Hair-loss didn't improve .I am going to start taking it again so if its due to Hormones and am losing all my hair with MSM hair should grow back faster right? I am hoping for it.....

It might be a good idea to also take a good multi Vit/Min supplement that has 50mg. of B complex in case your deficient in anything.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have taken MSM for about a month, and has had a nosebleed almost every day, I have tried to adjust the strength but eventually I just had to stop taking them..
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I am going to assume Dark Moon you do not take MSM.

I'm always curious about what supplements people take and why.

What supplements do you like and recommend? Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
simpleMD wrote:
Stopped using MSM But Hair-loss didn't improve .I am going to start taking it again so if its due to Hormones and am losing all my hair with MSM hair should grow back faster right? I am hoping for it.....

The hormones are more powerful than otc supplements. Don't expect miracles -- it will just take time for your hormones to rebalance. Meanwhile, it's a good idea to keep taking your preggo vitamins or another good multi-vit. My experience is that it takes maybe a year for your body to feel back to normal. You'll get your hair back!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know how pure Source Natural brand MSM powder from Vitacost is?
angelnaina

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:36 am      Reply with quote
hi to all..i am new here and want your's help..i am from India and want to buy MSM powder or Tablets,but unfortunately i am not finding right place of this product,i have tried many links posted in this thread but shipping charges are too much..can you plz provide me a link with low rates of shipping..many many thanks to all of you.. Smile
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
My hair are coming back Thank God....I am not taking MSM ...BUT interestingly my new baby hair are NOT GRAY ... Very Happy
May be I should pull the rest of them out and let them grow out black again. Bad Grin ...should I start taking MSM again and see if the hair growth increases am little afraid to try it again do not want new baby hair to fall out ...any suggestions?

Acne-prone skin ,Olive Complexion, using Derma pen ( MYM) ,Used LS & STOP,Got POSE and never used it.. Also got TRIA never used it...Microcurrent Tx and added Facial Detox massage and CP serum so far its pretty good
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
angelnaina wrote:
hi to all..i am new here and want your's help..i am from India and want to buy MSM powder or Tablets,but unfortunately i am not finding right place of this product,i have tried many links posted in this thread but shipping charges are too much..can you plz provide me a link with low rates of shipping..many many thanks to all of you.. Smile

Hi, trywww.iherb.com. They ship internationally. Please check the shipping to India. You can register and do a dummy cart and you can get an estimate of shipping charges. If you need a discount code for your first order, you can PM me.

I buy the Source Naturals MSM powder. It has OptiMSM and is reasonably priced. And you can tailor the dosage to your requirements.
Amy Lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Does MSM works for joint?
simpleMD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Amy Lu some people use it for arthritis in addition to Chondroitin sulphate and Glucosamine supplements I know this bcause my friend's mom takes that combo and swears by it.

Acne-prone skin ,Olive Complexion, using Derma pen ( MYM) ,Used LS & STOP,Got POSE and never used it.. Also got TRIA never used it...Microcurrent Tx and added Facial Detox massage and CP serum so far its pretty good
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been taking MSM for a year now and I dont really see much effect on my skin. But I still take it anyway for my hair. I have some knee problems so Im wondering if the benefits of MSM is going to my knees instead of my skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I know I looked horrible. My skin was paper thin and looked as if it had been draped over a skull. I avoided mirrors and refused to have any photos taken of me.

One day at the dentist's office, the woman sitting across from me looked up from her magazine and suddenly said that she takes MSM and it has helped her a lot with her wrinkles. She went back to reading. Two months later I bought MSM lotion and started applying it to my face. I didn't notice the wrinkles disappearing as much as I saw the skin plumping up, regaining a human resemblance. The mirror was reintroduced to my life. I had been using the lotion for 10 months.

About two weeks ago I took the plunge and started taking MSM pills. Skin plumped up and the wrinkles are not as pronounced.

faeriedust, maybe try using the MSM lotion for external help since that's what convinced me to take the pills.
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 6:42 am      Reply with quote
My mom has slight to medium knee pain. She swims and uses treadmill to reduce the pain. She also tries to lose weight. NOW, this is my question: is MSM effective in reducing her knee pain? BTW, she is 65.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 11:34 am      Reply with quote
eyebright wrote:
... Two months later I bought MSM lotion and started applying it to my face.

Eyebright, what brand of lotion was it, how is it called and where did you buy it?
spence
5% products discount

Sat May 01, 2010 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Been taking powdered form on and off for 2 years. Love what it does for skin and weight. Loathe the headaches.

That's why it's "on and off"
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 3:58 am      Reply with quote
I stopped taking it, for an experiment. The headaches are gone, but now I've got a constant pain in one of my knees!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 4:29 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
I stopped taking it, for an experiment. The headaches are gone, but now I've got a constant pain in one of my knees!

I am just wondering if you have tried a lower dosage?
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 5:50 am      Reply with quote
circus wrote:
nadjazz wrote:

I am just wondering if you have tried a lower dosage?

Hi, circus -
I started off with 1/8 tsp, worked up to 1/4 tsp, and eventually 1/2 tsp, which I took for about two years. I loved the results for hair, nails, skin. I supposed I could cut back to 1/4 tsp and see if I still see results. I have become such a slave to my supplements! To be honest, I'm just tired of the regimen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Well since I had a nearly deadly allergic reaction to Bactrim (a sulfa drug) and was in the ER for 6-8 hours while they pumped me full of drugs to prevent anaphylaxis nope, no MSM for me I don't have any desire to repeat that experience. Smile

PRECAUTIONS: If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor before using this product: any allergies (especially to sulfa). Methylsulfonylmethane is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Consult your doctor before using this product. Because of the potential risk to the infant, breast-feeding while using this product is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
I have listed the supplements I take on a few threads already. I think you were participating in those threads.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 09, 2010 5:43 am      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
eyebright wrote:
... Two months later I bought MSM lotion and started applying it to my face.

Eyebright, what brand of lotion was it, how is it called and where did you buy it?

Hi ella-stella

The lotion is "Pure MSM lotion" by TriMedica. It was bought online at MotherNature dot com. (this site won't let me post the link to the product Smile )

Right now, that website is selling the 4 oz lotion as a freebie with a bottle of caps. I was able to buy the lotion separately last year.

They do carry an 8 oz bottle but the ingredients are different.

On my bottle, the ingredients are:
Deionized water, MSM (15%), Isopropyl Myristate, Stearic acid, Hydrolyzed Vegetable oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Allantoin, Jojoba oil, Rosemary, Saponaria, Chamomile.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 4:58 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Well since I had a nearly deadly allergic reaction to Bactrim (a sulfa drug) and was in the ER for 6-8 hours while they pumped me full of drugs to prevent anaphylaxis nope, no MSM for me I don't have any desire to repeat that experience. Smile

PRECAUTIONS: If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor before using this product: any allergies (especially to sulfa). Methylsulfonylmethane is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Consult your doctor before using this product. Because of the potential risk to the infant, breast-feeding while using this product is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
I have listed the supplements I take on a few threads already. I think you were participating in those threads.

There is no real relationship between Sulfa Drugs and MSM even though it is a sulphur compound. I'm also highly allergic to Sulfa drugs, but have taken MSM for years-- and checked that out before I ever started.

This thread REALLY disturbs me. When you see a thread with pages and pages of postings, sometimes it can give the impression of there being a lot of validity to the subject. In this case, I know its not valid. MSM is not going to tighten the skin and make you lose body fat. It often has WONDERFUL side effects for hair, skin, nails, joints and muscle integrity, and I wouldn't be without it, but it isn't going to tighten up your body! I believe the people posting that it has done that, are not lying, but rather are getting the benefit of something else they are doing and crediting it to the MSM. I just hate that people are buying it and using it with such false hopes. My 2 cents. Rolling Eyes

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Well it's still a distinct possibility and a risk I won't take. To each his/her own. Smile

One of the more common drug allergies is that to sulfa drugs. Sulfa drugs are more appropriately labeled sulfonamides and are derivatives of para-amino benzoic acid. The following list contains common medications that have a sulfonamide component. A sulfonamide allergy is different from a sulfite allergy because sulfonamides and sulfites are distinctly different chemicals. A person allergic to sulfites is no more likely to be allergic to sulfonamides than any other individual.

Sulfonamide drug classes/individual drugs that may cause allergic reactions include:
Sulfonamide antibiotics, sulfadiazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfasalazine, sulfisoxazole, sulfacetamide, sulfanilamide, sulfathiazole, sulfabenzamide, Thiazide diuretics, hydrochlorothiazide, chlorothiazide, metolazone, chlorthalidone, indapamide, methyclothiazide, Loop Diuretics, furosemide, Sulfonylureas, chlorpropamide, tolbutamide, tolazamide, glipizide, glyburide, Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, and acetazolamide.

The mechanism of the sulfonamide drug allergy is immune mediated. When a sulfonamide is metabolized in the body, the drug is capable of attaching to human proteins, forming a larger molecule and possibly launching an immune response.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C657009.html
In contrast, sulfiting agents refer to a group of chemicals that include sulfur dioxide, sulfite salts, and sulfate salts. Sulfur dioxide is considered to be the offending component in a sulfite allergy. Sulfites and sulfates are metabolized to sulfur dioxide under certain conditions that depend on concentration, heat, and pH.
Recommendations for Sulfa Drug Allergy:

Animal-based Not recommended:
  Glucosamine / Chondroitin Sulfate
  See the link between Sulfa Drug Allergy and MSM.

Mineral
Not recommended:
  MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane)
  Although it is generally believed that people who are allergic to sulfa drugs or do not tolerate sulfite preservatives in foods need not be concerned about the use of MSM and
glucosamine sulfate – that these do not give rise to allergic reactions. However, there are
reports of individuals who are reactive, so caution is advised.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the msm lotion tip. I might give it a whirl
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:
My mom has slight to medium knee pain. She swims and uses treadmill to reduce the pain. She also tries to lose weight. NOW, this is my question: is MSM effective in reducing her knee pain? BTW, she is 65.

Depends on how advanced is the condition causing her knee pain. There's no harm trying the MSM and see if it works (you won't know until you try). But if she has osteoarthritis (the most common condition causing knee pain) and it is quite advanced, then MSM is unlikely to help. Reducing weight will definitely help (to reduce strain on the knee). I am not sure if vigorous use of the treadmill is good or not for her though. If she runs a lot, it would increase the strain on her knees. Brisk walking would be better than running. And consider other exercises to strengthen the knee (quadriceps exercises - check with the gym trainers or look online for how to do these).
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
micka686 wrote:

Depends on how advanced is the condition causing her knee pain. There's no harm trying the MSM and see if it works (you won't know until you try). But if she has osteoarthritis (the most common condition causing knee pain) and it is quite advanced, then MSM is unlikely to help. Reducing weight will definitely help (to reduce strain on the knee). I am not sure if vigorous use of the treadmill is good or not for her though. If she runs a lot, it would increase the strain on her knees. Brisk walking would be better than running. And consider other exercises to strengthen the knee (quadriceps exercises - check with the gym trainers or look online for how to do these).

I do think it will help her knees, along with glucosamine/chondroitin. My knees were worn out from running and I had to hang up my running shoes about 20 years ago. Amazingly, I am still an avid hiker, and work out regularly without any knee pain and MSM has been part of my vitamin regimen for years.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |