Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
RAVE: I Feel Pretty Products and CareKate's Products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
I know that I am not the first and only person to write a rave for CareKate and Kim @ I feel Pretty, but I just wanted to quickly say how great they have been and how wonderful their products are.

Products tried for almost 2 weeks:
I Feel Pretty BHA 2%
I Feel Pretty DMAE
I Feel Pretty Clarifying Serum
CareKate's Pearl Creme (awesome!)
CareKate's YY Sebum Control Oil (first day I was oil free and I am usually an oil slick by mid-day!)
CareKate's Bump Blasting (a miracle)

Thanks--and sorry if you've all heard this before
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Could you post the website for the I fell pretty stuff? Thanks!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/

HTH Wink
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
ww.ifeelprettyproducts.com
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I received my first purchase from IFP today. Great customer service and the packaging is top of the line. Can't wait to try the serum. And the rest of the things I want. Smile

Thanks TG for the recommendation.

kimberly
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Let me know how it works for you Blue, good or bad. I really like this line alot. Hope it does well for you also.

The body products are terrific also. The Sugar scrub is wonderful as a leg shave aide.

The BHA cream is super for applying to freshly shaved bikini area, to prevent irritation and bumps.

The scents are yummy.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
Let me know how it works for you Blue, good or bad. I really like this line alot. Hope it does well for you also.

The body products are terrific also. The Sugar scrub is wonderful as a leg shave aide.

The BHA cream is super for applying to freshly shaved bikini area, to prevent irritation and bumps.

The scents are yummy.

TG, since I know you're a SkinBio user as well as IFP, I'm wondering if you've used the SB Exfol serum? I'm using it now and am wondering how it compares to the IFP AHA/BHA combo product.

Can you compare the two?

Thx.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
If you mean the Exfol BHA gel stuff, yes I have used it.

Main difference is IFP has a lower pH, so it a "stronger" product. It is also a liquid, not a gel.

It is also a bit more drying to the skin.

I like the IFP better myself, easier to layer with other products, as it is less likely to coat skin.

Also works better overall for me, especially on enlarged pores. Though now I use the IFP BHA/AHA.

But I used to use the BHA only, and liked it a lot. The BHA/AHA is the same, but added Lactic AHA. Very nice also.

If skin is dry or sensitive, you will probably find every other night will suit you better then nightly.
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal, you´re a gem for telling us about IFP. My skin has never been this calm or happy. I´m using the 2% BHA (which I never want to be without), the antiox spray and healing serum. Add to that the geografx azulene cleanser, and I´m one happy puppy. And the IFP cleansers are on their way. Thank you, you´re a star!

Oh, and I´m curious about your DIY C serum. Any secrets there?
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
secrets? What do you mean? Did I send you the recipe? I can if you PM me. Smile

Just don't want it posted on the board, but I will PM it to anyonme who wants it.
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I´ll pm you, but I figured it was something other than the water/ascorbic acid mix I make in my palm. Wink
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:

The scents are yummy.

Tangal, what is the diff between the AHA and BHA? Which is better at exfoliation? Also which is stronger for the tummy area to help prep for the CP for stretch marks?

Thank you in advance. Smile
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
aha/bha I will reply. It will be long, so just wait a bit. Wink
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
AHA:

- is Alpha Hydroxy Acid. There are a handful of different ones, and they vary a bit on irritancy and skin types that they are each best suited for. Glycolic is the cheapest, and the most irritating. But available in a variety of products formulas. Not all are effective, due to pH and concentration issues.

Lactic is better suited for sensitive skin, and penetrates a bit deeper then Glycolic, because it can penetrate through skin oils to a limited extent. Mandelic is also better suited for sensitive skin , a bit more irritating then lactic, less then Glycolic. Also penetrates skin oils to an extent. Lactic and Mandelic are better suited for oily skin.

AHAs are pH dependant. Meaning that an incorrect pH makes them ineffective. 3.4% pH is the highest one should have an AHA for exfoliation action. And at that high a pH level you are actually only getting about half the acid strength.

So an 8% product at 3.4 pH only works out to about 4 % working pH. As pH drops lower, acid strength becomes higher (stronger). So an 8% AHA at 1.9 pH has 7-8% actual acid working on the skin. This can also increase irritation and dryness. So an acid with a low pH may only be needed every other day or every third day as opposed to daily.

For exfoliation action, a product must contain at least 5% AHA. Below 5% it has very little to no exfoliation action, and works more as a moisterizing aid.

It should stay on the skin, without altering the pH for 30 minutes. If another product is applied over it with a higher pH, the exfoliation action stops at that point.

AHAs in general do not penetrate skin oil well. So they do not exfoliate inside the pores.

Rather they are primarily a surface exfoliate only. Good for fine lines, dullness, skin pigment issues, fine scars, UV damage. They also thin surface skin slightly helping other products penetrate better. Higher strengths can assist in collagen rebuilding, and skin repair, resurfacing.

BHA:

- is in one form for skincare, which is Salicylic acid.

This is not the same as the active component in Aspirin which acetylsalicylic acid. Aspirin or acetylsalicylic acid is created from one form of salicylic acid, and requires lab altering of the salicyclic molecule by esterification, using high pressure, high temperatures, and blending with other chemicals. It is a tricky process to create high quality Aspirin from salicylic acid.
Salicylic acid is not created from aspirin.

Both are inflammatory, both are not exfoliates. They are chemically similar, share some common activities on the skin, they are both beneficial, but they are not identical.
Salicylic acid is toxic if ingested in large quantities, but in small quantities is beneficial in skin care, treatments, and used in preservation, and antiseptics. Some people are salicylic sensitive. Aspirin through the chemical changes used to create it, is also buffered. Making it less toxic on ingestion.
Like AHA, BHA is also pH sensitive. Needing at least 3.0 pH or lower for best results. The lower the pH the stronger the BHA. 1-2% BHA are common in skincare products for exfoliation, 5% is useful for acne prone skin or enlarged pores. Higher strengths can be used as an aid in callus and wart removal.
Like AHA, BHA should stay on the skin, without altering the pH for 30 minutes. If another product is applied over it with a higher pH, the exfoliation action stops at that point.

BHA is lipid soluble. Which means it can easily penetrate through oils. This enables BHA to penetrate within the pores, where it can exfoliate inside of pore walls. This allows it to loosen dead cells, oil clogs, and cell debris.
This can enable enlarged pores, return to a more normal size. (one reason they gap is from build up of gunk in the pores, enlarging them). It also clears the pores, helping treatment products penetrate into the pore pocket distributing ingredients deeper into the skin.

BHA is also an anti-inflammatory. Meaning it can help sooth irritated skin. Often acne prone skin needs this type of soothing to help normalize and heal it. (Aspirin also works as an anti- inflammatory when used topically on the skin.) BHA has some anti-oxidant effects. Both the anti inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects are active as long as BHA is on skin surface, even after exfoliation action has stopped.

BHA is only has a mild surface exfoliation action. It is not good for fine lines repair, dullness etc. It is excellent for oily and acne prone skin, and an aid to help other products penetrate better, because of its ability to exfoliate inside pores.

For best product penetration enhancement both a surface and pore exfoliation often does better then either alone. If one has acne or oily skin, BHA is definitely indicated. Some people use BHA only on T-zone and oil areas and AHA all over or on other facial skin areas. This is a good option.

If skin is dry or normal, you may be able to get a similar benefit from one of the more lipid soluble AHAs, like lactic or Mandelic.

For scar treatment usually both BHA and AHA are used for optimal results. Though some may prefer one or the other.

AHA can thin the damaged tissue on scar surface, both thinning the scar, and enabling other treatments to penetrate deeper into the thickened scar portion easier.

BHA can enhance penetration of any ingredient it is used with, by helping draw other ingredients deeper, through its ability to migrate into the pore cavity. It can also be used as a chaser on top of other topicals to help push treatments deeper. This can increase irritation.

Stomach tissue is less tender then facial tissues, and thicker, so one can use stronger strength treatments and acids in that area with less irritation. Many people use AHAs above 20% for body skin. 20, 30 and 40% are commonly used.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
again, thanks tangal for posting this.

i was skeptical at first about the aspirin mask being actual salicylic acid, but a yogurt/aspirin mask really does do wonders for my skin. perhaps it is the yogurt?
i have recently gained larger pores, especially around my nose and on my cheeks, whereas they were nearly invisible before. guess that is just part of aging. do you recommend a bha solution for this? i do not want them to start getting clogged...

will differin cream help on its own?

thanks!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
yogurt and asprin can be benificial. The anti-inflamatory, and anti-oxidant effects alone, can do wonders.

But if you need a true BHA, I don't think they are a replacement.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Differin may help alone, and if you have that on hand, worth a try. But I suspect you may need to move over to an actual BHA product.

As skin ages, the fat layer and support tissues in lower levels thins out, and skin surface can thin some. This creates the appearance of gapping or enlarged pores.

Products used can also contribute to this as well as UV damage.

But in all cases BHA can help alot. It clears the pores allowing them to gap less. They may not be 100% tight, but will be better.

Antioxidants applied topically can help also to an extent, because as inflammation in deep tissues drop, pores can appear less "hugh" and skin is more flexible. Less stressed.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 am      Reply with quote
thanks, tangal! i hope my products didn't contribute to this!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:27 am      Reply with quote
well if they did, it should be easy to reverse with some BHA and product changes. Wink
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tangal,

I have only really used very high quality products on my skin; I cannot think of anything that might have contributed to it. Except my hard water--I noticed they really opened up and became visible since I've moved to Europe. And I am sure that aging contributes to it as well.
I've been using:
Osea cleansing milk (very gentle)
Osea eyes and lips
Osea advanced protection cream (all of osea's products are all natural with excellent ingredients, I've used them for over 10 years, you can look at them atwww.oseaskin.com)
avene mist
SC vitamin b5 gel w/HA before I got the psf pure ha
SC CE Ferulic pretty regularly for the last two years
SC retinol, before that psf retinol night cream
psf's green tea cleanser about 9 months ago
epicuren's sunscreens (chemical), before that, SC physical block and IS Clinical's block
sometimes TM (MD Formulations or becca)
lorac translucent powder on t-zone
sometimes:
rosehip seed oil, emu oil, darphin chamomile oil, osea's hydrating oils (all natural, organic essential + carrier oils)

and also sometimes:
valmont renewing pack, aspirin/yogurt mask, psf pumpkin masks, osea hydrating white algae gel masks, JB green apple peel (sensitive, although I just bought regular, haven't used it yet)

so nothing harsh or unnecessary for my skin type--I just want to preserve my skin on a daily basis and exfoliate when i think i need it.

what do you think--should i add a bha toner?

thanks!

--avalange

Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:40 am      Reply with quote
High quality can contain pore clogging thickners as easily as anything else. Smile It may not be enough to create acne, but can be enough to buildup in the pores. specially if you are not useing any pore exfoliant.

Moisteroizers cream and lotions and sunscreens can do this. The location change can effect skin dramatically also. Both in enviromental pollutants, humidity changes etc. And yes, aging can do this all by itself.

Personally, I would get a small sample or bottle of a quality BHA and try it on the enlarged pore areas. I really do think it will help. You should see a difference in two weeks.

You may find some locally to save on shipping.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if any of you purchasers of carekates products are Canadian...If so, how easy has it been for shipping and customs??? I usually hate to buy out-of-country because I have had problems in the past, but I would like to purchase some of the samples. Question
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:36 am      Reply with quote
I'm Canadian and although shipping from Texas seems to be slower than other states in the US (I'm in Vancouver and it takes 2-3 weeks) but no worries on customs as Carekate lists almost everything you order on the customs form but marks it as no commercial value so I assume it gets approved by customs quite quickly with no problems. So far there hasn't been any posts on this forum about issues on this front so it should be safe to assume that ordering from carekate is pretty much hassle-free (but you might have trouble reaching her right now due to personal matters).
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much sormuimui...I will go ahead and place an order for a few things. One thread raved about the silk dusting powder, and compared it to Jurlique's. When I checked it out on carekates website, the prices make it kind of irresistable!!!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |