Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Chemical burn after peel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Last night I did a glycolic peel and left it on for 4 minutes. Normally I do 5 minutes or so but this was burning more than usual so I washed it off early. I have done these peels more than 10 times or so but this time was very different. I had the normal redness afterwards but that only went away in certain areas. This morning however my face has red patches in certain areas and it is VERY dry and looks uneven.

I've had TCA peels before and this is the sort of thing that normally happens with those, but NOT with glycolic peels. I don't want this to leave some red scarring. Any advice? Should I apply something like Neosporin?
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:32 am      Reply with quote
What was the % of glycolic acid peel? Try to wash your face in cold/cool water or stand under cool running water in the shower for 5 minutes. Then apply a hydrating fragrance free cream like Avene Recovery Cream- the less ingredients there are the better. I also find pure aloe vera gel to be an effective cooling aid adn use it refrigerated.

I think during the healing stage it's better to leave the skin alone and just spritz or cold compress it to bring down the inflammation.

As for your reaction, maybe the skin has reached a plateau from the peels- so it has been peeled back as far as it can go. When skin has been exfoliated or peeled, each peel applied thereafter will penetrate deeper into the skin. So at times there is no need to up the %of acid. Instead you can increase the duration that it is left on the skin to acheive the same effect. For e.g 5 minutes of 30% is the same as 2 minutes of 50%. This is what a nurse once told me. You also mentioned that you've had TCA peels. That sort of medium depth peel will leave your skin thinner and more fragile as well.

I had good results from 20-50% AHA but on 70% my skin burned and discoloured when others have said that they've had good reaction. So it's also individual reaction.

Don;t apply acids or retinols, just keep your skin hydrated and cool. By cooling the skin down you can minimize post inflammatory pigmentation.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I thought that skin regenerated and that one could have peels every so often because new skin had grown back. Am I wrong? The peel was 50% but I have to wonder if it really is that high in concentration. A friend of mine used it as well (not yesterday though) and she said that it felt weaker than 50%. She's had 30% peels before and they burned more upon application than this did, according to her.

I have some Emu oil would that be soothing enough?
Mossa
5% products discount

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I had the same problem once a few months ago. I use a 30% glycolic acid peel fairly regularly. I did not leave the peel on any longer, but managed to burn myself. My burn was only in one place. It turned red, then brown, and then faded away in about a week without leaving a mark. I did use Neosporin for a couple of days in the beginning.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Thank you. I am so worried that this will leave red scarring. I ended up with a patch on my forehead, on my left temple area and also under the corner of my mouth. The under the mouth area is the largest and that is the part that scares me the most. The other areas are much smaller in both redness and dryness. I have some Neosporin and will use that. It might make me break out but that's better than long term scarring!
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I did something similar with copper peptides night before last. All day yesterday, I kept dabbing with aloe vera, emu oil and neosporin. Today it's just flakey.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Where's my post gone? Confused

OK, I said that I totally understood how you felt. Been there and done that. I think the best route is HA and emu. Just keep slathering it on all day. Do not rub or try to lift flakes. If you have any copper peps, apply over the HA or emu to promote healing.

I would personally avoid neosporin or anything like that and just stick with very simple stuff.

The red bits and even scabbng will get better, but keep your fingers off your face!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Skin should take at least a week to heal up from the peel- superficial peel that is. Skin does regenerate but if you peel on a regular basis e.g monthly then it will be more refined (thinner). I think regeneration really refers to the new skin cells that make the skin fresh looking but you're also taking away a couple of layers from the epidermis when you peel.

There are 6 layers of epidermis- basal layer (being the deepest), spinolusom, granulosum, lucidium, corneum and dysjunction being the uppermost layer. AHA peels go right down to granulosum and glycolics can penetrate right down to basal layer (some say right down to the top layer of the dermis).

My understanding is (and anyone can jump in and correct me) that peels take away the dysjunction (dead layer), the corneum and in some cases right down to the lucidium (waterproof layer). So each time an AHA peel is applied we're taking away at least 2 layers of the epidermis. Skin cycle is 28-30 days so for that regeneration cycle our skin is rebuilding the layer that we've taken away. Depending on the frequency and number of the peels I can only assume that acids will penetrate deeper without the 2 upper layers of the epidermis. Hope this makes some sense! Laughing

I hope your skin heals up, just give it a few more days. Does it feel sore or look raw?
rcascone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I was using Green Cream (retinol) and when I went for a G. Peel, my face burned really bad. Are you using a retinol product? I'm sure you will be fine! Just listen to everyone's advice and I'm sure you will recover perfectly!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Yes I've been using Retin-A .05% for about a year.

I am just surprised that I burned from a glycolic peel like I did. Like I wrote above when I had TCA peels then I expected to burn, turn brown and peel off. With glycolics in the past all I've had was light flaking. My face currently is red in patches, dry and will probably turn brown. When I smile it feels like the skin will crack below my mouth. It is a chemical burn and I've never had this before.

I do have CP (regular serum kind) as well as Emu oil. A friend recommended Almond oil, is that a good idea or should I just stick to Emu and CP? Believe it or not I don't really like Emu oil all that much. I know that it is popular here but I don't care for it much.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Anna, I would stick with just emu until it calms down. I also used some straight beta glucans yesterday and I flaked this morning, actually still am a little but no redness. If you had seen me yesterday Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I did the same with 60% glycolic acid. I would just use emu oil.
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Retin A and retinols are definitely a contraindication for peels. It is recommended that you stop retinols and retin a for 2 weeks prior tot the peel. That's quite a duration considering that within that time the benefits of retinol and retin a will subside. But I've been on Retin A and have been burned by a 2% salicyclic and 5% AHA toner! Maybe next time, skip the retin a for a few days prior to the peel so that you minimise the sensitivities. Smile

How is the skin today?
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes I should have thought of that with the Retin-A. I also have been using a mild glycolic cream but that probably had some part in my skin burning since the last time I had done a glycolic peel I was not using this cream.

My skin today is very cracked, brownish, hard and dry but only in certain areas. I really hope that this doesn't mean that when it peels I will end up red in those areas while the rest of my face is normal. I haven't picked my skin but it's tempting since it's so hard and itches. I have been using Emu on it and last night before bed I used a little bit of CP on the dry areas. This morning it actually looks worse than yesterday. Is this because it's getting dryer and will peel off, or should I seek medical attention now? I've never had a chemical burn before.

I've thrown out the glycolic peel that I had. This is not worth it. With the TCA peels that I've done in the past I've never had this happen, for some reason also those seem easier to control and I get great results with it. Glycolic is not for me apparently. Confused
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I think the brown, dry flaky skin that you mention is the damaged skin (now dead skin cells) that's lifting off. Best thing to do is keep the area hydrated and avoid picking. I don't know if a doctor is necessary as most would probably advise to avoid peels and/or avoid picking the skin and hydrate the skin. I've had one GP reprimand me severely about my "vanity" in the past when a 30% glycolic peel I had at a salon gave me bad burns on the bridge of my nose.

If you're in pain and still have blisters or raw soreness see a doctor but it sounds like time is the best ally in healing the skin and that your skin seems to be healing up quickly. The skin underneath (when the brown dry flaky skin is gone) will still be slightly pink as it is new skin- you'd alreadly know this anyway -so make sure to use sunscreen and avoid sun as the UV rays will trigger melanin acitivity causing hyperpigmentation.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe this new peel had a lower pH both the pH and % matter. I use glycolics every two weeks or so. I use PSF O2 serum immediately after.
I also use a bit under my chin when I get a new product. I have gotten small patches but never anything bad. Alo I use 10-12% at abot 3.5 pH all over my face but only spot treat with the 30-35%.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
This happened to me about a year ago. I got a Vitalize peel from a skin clinic and she got a little heavy handed on my chin. The skin turned brown and started to crack. Because it was my chin, everytime I opened my mouth (either to eat or talk) my skin cracked more. I put neosporin on it and after about a week, it was okay. I don't have any scarring from it now.
brightmind
5% products discount

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I now join the ranks of the ones burned by chemical peels. I can't tell you what I have been doing. The baking soda and water neutralizer didn't work. When the redness developed, I applied liquid soap (which was recommended). I should have just washed it off. My husband's theory was that the solution wasn't mixed properly, so there were different concentrations of the acid in the bottle. That's food for thought!

At any rate, I applied a mask afterwards, and more water, ice, aloe vera gel. No real relief. I next sacrificed my aloe vera plant and split the leaves and taped them to my nose and cheek, with bandaids and medical tape. Then, to make sure it stayed, I wrapped an ace bandage around everything, for the night. I woke up at 2pm, burning still, and had to apply ice for some relief. I applied various aloe vera solutions. The main problem is that the aloe vera (if it's not straight), caused burns.
My mother gave me some, but is had citric acid, and other additives, and made me burn more.

Actually my skin is still burning. Now I'm applying emu oil and cool aloe gel (from the health food store).

I may go to CVS to get some "burn gel" with lidocaine to stop the burning sensations.

I hope I'm doing the right thing, here, as my NP told me to go to the ER for facial burns.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Baking soda/water will only neutralize the acid. It cannot undue any peeling action already performed by the peel. If you are a retinol user, it is advised to stop for atleast 3-5 days prior to a peel as it weakens the skin's layers and will intensify the effect of the acid.

Emu or any other healing oil (emu/HA is the best for quick healing, IMO, though) and using weak copper peptides will also help quickly heal the skin. I would avoid Neosporin unless you have open wounds.

I love my at-home peels but I had to promise myself to take it easy because it's so easy to over do it when we get comfortable. I think every 3-4 weeks is a good schedule (for the big % ones) so it gives your skin a chance to recover and take in nutrients in the interim.

I hope you're okay.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I think you should don't do anything with your face. Using only gentel cleansing and aloe vera gel coninueing like this for several days before your skin get better.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:48 am      Reply with quote
What if you still do have red marks after a few weeks? Will that go away eventually?

I experimented with some callus remover on a surgical scar a few weeks ago and still see red marks. The thing is, that I also added a few drops of lactic acid (88%) to the small bottle. Not much, only to fill it up, The original was "only" 17% salicylic acid. I used it as a leave on - since thats whay the bottle said. Of course without the added acid.I know - so stupid...

I mean, they ARE getting lighter. Will they fade completely? Is it possible to have marks for life??
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:44 am      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:
What if you still do have red marks after a few weeks? Will that go away eventually?

I experimented with some callus remover on a surgical scar a few weeks ago and still see red marks. The thing is, that I also added a few drops of lactic acid (88%) to the small bottle. Not much, only to fill it up, The original was "only" 17% salicylic acid. I used it as a leave on - since thats whay the bottle said. Of course without the added acid.I know - so stupid...

I mean, they ARE getting lighter. Will they fade completely? Is it possible to have marks for life??

Out of interest Monica, where on earth would you get a recommended use of something with "ONLY" 17% salicylic Question Question considering most formulations use 2% and 5% is considered exceptionally strong and only for experienced users.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I was wrinkled where I was burned. I guess because the skin was dry???...I dunno. It did go away within a couple of weeks.
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Last night I did a glycolic peel and left it on for 4 minutes. Normally I do 5 minutes or so but this was burning more than usual so I washed it off early. I have done these peels more than 10 times or so but this time was very different. I had the normal redness afterwards but that only went away in certain areas. This morning however my face has red patches in certain areas and it is VERY dry and looks uneven.

I've had TCA peels before and this is the sort of thing that normally happens with those, but NOT with glycolic peels. I don't want this to leave some red scarring. Any advice? Should I apply something like Neosporin?

Hey,
I am new on this forum i just checked this query and wanted to share that i am also facing the same problem. I was doing Glycolic peels regulary for past 7 months. Last time i did 35% peel but keep it for very long about 20 minutes. Intially after peel doesnt happen any bad to my skin but next 2-3 days i found dry white patch over my right eyebrow , my nose and right cheek on lower side. After that i stopped using peel. Its been almost 1and 1/2 month but the scars still seems the same and condition is no better. Ifeel very dry and sometimes itching over this area and my skin is flaking till today. Please suggest me what should i do. If you find any remedy please also let me know. And tell me what should i start immediately. Thanks in advance....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
v

Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |