Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
simpleMD wrote:
How long you guys use DR and if I just used it for less than 1 min should I try tomorrow with Ice and more numbing cream ?Or wait till next week...I am allergic to all the creams Retin A, Vit C serums...only can use oils that I have ...Almond oil,Olive oil,avacado oil ,jojoba oil...I have around ten other oils but thats what doesnt cause any problems for me...all other creams no matter how expensive will cause break outs and allergic reactions...some preservative they all have is my enemy...so please just two questions...

1 should I roll tomorrow.??
2 If yes how often should I do it with 1.5mm tool?
Any suggestions are appreciated..

I would recommend waiting until next week.

I'm sure you noticed while reading the entire thread that some people roll every week with the 1.5mm for 6 weks in a row and take a break. Some people roll weekly, and never take a break. I personally believe that one should wait a minimum of 2 weeks between rolls, and I actually prefer to do one very intense roll every 4-6 weeks. But you need to pick what works best for you based on your skin's reaction to rolling.

You don't need to actually put anything on your skin after rolling...just make sure that you disinfect thoroughly before and after rolling.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:22 am      Reply with quote
simpleMD wrote:
I read the whole thread before I bought this 1.5 mm torture tool .....Sorry I had to leave to pick up kids from school and couldnt type the whole story...I got this 1.5mm as most people said its the best....I have some acne scars and large pores with some fine wrinkles....I used the Bikini cream thats 2% lidocaine...didnt do anything for me...
I WAS EXTREMELY RED AFTERWARDS FOR ONE HOUR...got better...I just have one question I did only the cheeks for short time less than a minute ...how long you guys use DR and if I just used it for less than 1 min should I try tomorrow with Ice and more numbing cream ?Or wait till next week...I am allergic to all the creams Retin A, Vit C serums...only can use oils that I have ...Almond oil,Olive oil,avacado oil ,jojoba oil...I have around ten other oils but thats what doesnt cause any problems for me...all other creams no matter how expensive will cause break outs and allergic reactions...some preservative they all have is my enemy...so please just two questions...

1 should I roll tomorrow.??
2 If yes how often should I do it with 1.5mm tool?
Any suggestions are appreciated..

Just wondering if you have tried any DIY recipes without using any preservitives in them? I'm no expert on DIY but some other members are very knowledgable in them.
Piscean32

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
this thread is really long. I have asked before..but does anyone have a regime for stretchmarks. i have a dr. roller2.0
mariah
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Happy Hallowen everyone!
I spent two nights into the 'wee hours' of the morning reading about the derma roller. Went on ebay, and foud one for $32.- and free shipping.
So cheap, I decided to try it
However, I accdentally purchsed the 1.5 ... I hate numbing creams (the fel of them on my face, and the numbing afterwards)- so I wanted something smaller to avoid them.
Has anyone used the 1.5 w/out numbing?
Also, should I be concerned that I bought a cheapy one?
Thanks! Smile
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
mb935 wrote:
Someone mentioned wanting to not have to wear foundation anymore from using a dermaroller. Ive been wearing makeup because Ive HAD to for the last 20 years....

Within the last week I realized - I no longer HAVE too.

Ive been using a few devices - but not as often as I use the dermaroller - (.15 and the 2.0) I really truly see a huge difference. My pores are smaller - which i noticed a few months ago. The redness Ive had for SO long has diminished greatly and my acne hasnt flared up as much. Im amazed!!

Im using the 2.0 once a month. I only use ICE and the bactine spray. I just make sure to take really deep breaths to calm my nerves when it starts to hurt. AND IT DOES HURT - it didnt so much the first time I used it because I really wasnt using much pressure. Now I make sure I bleed and that my face is red. My skin will be red all night and the next day very sensitive to the touch. I am considering the EMLU cream though.

I only use the .15 occasionally - I dont really have a routine for it. I was using it 2 - 3 times a week - now maybe once a week.

I wanted some kind of positive change from all the pain I endure from this device - but never thought I wouldnt have to wear FOUNDATION!!!!!

PS - Ive also noticed my cheeks have become much more fuller - cant be totally sure its the dermaroller - but I wouldnt be surprised.

WOO HOO!!!! That is SOOOO awesome!!!

So what has your rolling schedule been like?
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Sorry - i posted that response wrong......

Im using the 2.0 once a month. I only use ICE and the bactine spray. I just make sure to take really deep breaths to calm my nerves when it starts to hurt. AND IT DOES HURT - it didnt so much the first time I used it because I really wasnt using much pressure. Now I make sure I bleed and that my face is red. My skin will be red all night and the next day very sensitive to the touch. I am considering the EMLU cream though.

I only use the .15 occasionally - I dont really have a routine for it. I was using it 2 - 3 times a week - now maybe once a week.
mariah
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! Surprised I will brave itthrough with only ice then! Do you use the bactine afterwards to prevent infection?
Also-- why do you feel you need to bleed?
I have read that several people report bleeding-- but is it "necessary" for good results? Does it not increase the chance of infection? Embarassed
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mariah -

Good luck with using the ice! (You're a tough girl - I almost find the ice worse than the rolling! LOl)

As for bleeding - I don't think most of the people here *try* to bleed. It's just that some people's skin is more prone to surface bleeding than others. (Bethany did a poll recently to see what people's results of rolling are... You may have to look through the forum archives for it - but the results were interesting/reassuring.)

As for infection - it is imperative to make sure that your skin is very CLEAN - and that your dermaroller is very CLEAN before you do anything. The little holes that the dermaroller create are very small - and seem to close up very quickly. However, postcare should definitely involve keeping the rolled areas clean, dry and away from any contaminants...

That's just my experience though - other people may have some better advice for you. Smile
mariah
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you taobunny....

This is such alooong thread- and there are somany different approaches, it is difficult to figure it all out. What I have concluded:
It is painful.
Clean face well: remove make up and apply rubbing alcohol.
Rinse derma roller before and after use in rubbing alcohol.
Do face.
Wait about 30minutes and apply serums.
Use dermaroller once weekly. Apply in short movements and in different directions.
Try not to wear make up for 48 hours afterwards.
I hope I am correct in my conclusions! Wink
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Piscean32 wrote:
this thread is really long. I have asked before..but does anyone have a regime for stretchmarks. i have a dr. roller2.0

Do a search for: dermaroller stretchmarks (the Search button is at the top of every page)
Forum: Skincare tools
Select POSTS at the bottom of the page

There have been some great posts on erasing stretchmark from Zenity and Catski that should give you what you are looking for.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
mariah wrote:

Also-- why do you feel you need to bleed?
I have read that several people report bleeding-- but is it "necessary" for good results? Does it not increase the chance of infection? Embarassed

Anytime you poke holes in your skin you are inviting infection...use the Bactine before and after to be on the safe side.

Bleeding signifies that you have reached the deeper level of the skin (the dermis) where the blood vessels live. While the goal is not to bleed, the goal is to pentrate the dermis during rolling because the release of blood under the skin is part of how the wound healing cascade is triggered, which then stimulates the production of collagen and elastin.

This is all spelled out in the article below, which is available in the compilation of dermarolling articles that I pulled together for everyone.

Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Collagen Induction Desmond Fernandes, MB, BCh, FRCS(Edin)
This article provides a great overview of how collagen is developed with the micro needling process, as well as the rolling protcol, etc. (pics included)
http://www.dermogenesis.com/roll-cit/Clinics_of_N_Am_2005.pdf

CIT/Dermarolling Articles and Presentations
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:03 am      Reply with quote
I did it again ! Last night got the Emla Cream waited 20 minutes and started the Rolling lots of blood ....I was scared better to do it w/o mirror...turned beet red for 45 minutes only did the cheeks Gosh 20 minutes is like lifetime for me...I did probably a minute or two...This morning small puncture wounds I can see but no redness some swelling applied my oil blend( avocado + grape seed oil + oil out of Vit E capsule)

Looking good so far...No major issues will do that next week...I am chicken cant do it like you hardcore roller girls do:)
Thanks for the input...Smile
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Yeah - Bethany explained the bleeding issue much better than I did.

I "try" only to make sure that I am getting to those deeper levels of skin. As I stated - the first time i rolled with the 2.0 it didnt hurt that bad, I wasnt red or sensitive the next day and I didnt bleed much which lead me to realize I wasnt using enough pressure which is important
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
so many needles , How to do dr roll clean?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
hahaqj wrote:

I clean mine with a denture cleaning tablet that breaks down the residual protein enzymes. (Do NOT soak for more than 30 mins or you will weaken the chemical bonding) I follow that with a quick scrub with a toothbrush dipped in alcohol, and then rinse well with hot water.

Before actually using it on my face again, I spray it with Bactine right before I use it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Bethany Thanks for the article...I am no where near that Bleeding bruised look on that woman's face in that article..I don't think I want that much collagen Laughing Did you see that roller in the operator's hand looked like a butcher's knife to me... Embarassed ..I do not look anything life that woman my heart sank when I saw that picture...I can not do that....!!!!!
I bought two rollers one I am using is 1.5 mm the one I will never ever use is 2.0 mm I think I should just sell that one on eBay or something as I am a risk to myself...my Job does not allow me to hide for 10 days ...so will do it next Friday probably...2 days off...lets see how it goes....will keep you guys updated...Do you think I should get a smaller mm roller to use more often the one that pushes products in ?what size you guys recommend?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:35 am      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
Sorry - i posted that response wrong......

That sounds like a great plan. I am trying to use my .15mm once a week (or every 2 weeks) to enhance my RA penetration on my pigmented areas, but I can't do it any more frequently than that because I still experience significant inflammation even with such short needles.

mb935 wrote:
I "try" only to make sure that I am getting to those deeper levels of skin. As I stated - the first time i rolled with the 2.0 it didnt hurt that bad, I wasnt red or sensitive the next day and I didnt bleed much which lead me to realize I wasnt using enough pressure which is important

You should definitely see blood with the 2.0mm. And I agree that pressure is important...the whole point is to create the microwounds and puncture the dermis. If people aren't using enough pressure to penetrate the needles fully, then they wont see the results.

I use a medium+ pressure and roll pretty aggressively in short, fast strokes...the momentum seems to make it hurt less. I actually stopped in mid-roll one time, and pulled out a magnifying mirror to make sure that I was getting enough needle penetration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
simpleMD wrote:
Bethany Thanks for the article...I am no where near that Bleeding bruised look on that woman's face in that article..I don't think I want that much collagen Laughing Did you see that roller in the operator's hand looked like a butcher's knife to me... Embarassed ..I do not look anything life that woman my heart sank when I saw that picture...I can not do that....!!!!!
I bought two rollers one I am using is 1.5 mm the one I will never ever use is 2.0 mm I think I should just sell that one on eBay or something as I am a risk to myself...my Job does not allow me to hide for 10 days ...so will do it next Friday probably...2 days off...lets see how it goes....will keep you guys updated...Do you think I should get a smaller mm roller to use more often the one that pushes products in ?what size you guys recommend?

I wouldn't sell it...I said I would never use my 1.5mm, and 6 months later I am now using it.

I am not really a fan of using the smaller rollers for product penetration due to the inflammation. But if you go that route, get a .15mm (only sold by Leaf & Rusher) or a .25mm and only use it 2-3 times a week max.

And those pictures are of a medical roll using 3.0mm roller...you will never look like that at home.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Bethany for your wonderful response re: bleeding!
I can't wait to get rollin' ... I hope it will arrive in the mail soon!

Question to all expert rollers: I bought mine very cheap for $32.- online (ebay) -- will the fact that it was cheap make a big difference? It looked like the other rollers I ahve seen here.
Planti

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
New to forum but have read all the 'rolling' posts.

I have just started using a .25 roller for product enhancement, as I have facial elastosis and female androgenic alopecia, but after reading your posts have decided to go for the longer needles.

Did try to answer the quiz re pain. I have used my 1.5 roller along the jaw line with firm pressure, without significant pain or redness. Consider myself pain tolerant even without wine. I am a non smoker since 1989, use peels about 2 x a week, not very strong, no Retin A but I had a rhytidectomy (face lift) about 15 years ago, so there may still be some decreased sensitivity.

I did a rolling of the decolletage with copper peptide, big reaction, welts that took about 3 weeks to subside, not itchy as one would expect of a histamine reaction, but not infected either. Tried it again with the 1.0 and have some redness, but not welts. Used emu oil afterward. No CP until 24 hrs after.

My partner says you are kindred souls, and I guess that the wish to be clear skinned and healthy is a big dream. I had acne from age 10 to age 48 or so. Before that finished I developed rosacea, so have done IPL on a number of occasions to reduce diffuse redness and telangectasias. It is fun to read your posts and good of everyone to offer their experience and cautions as well as encouragement. Thanks.
hahaqj
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
hahaqj wrote:

I clean mine with a denture cleaning tablet that breaks down the residual protein enzymes. (Do NOT soak for more than 30 mins or you will weaken the chemical bonding) I follow that with a quick scrub with a toothbrush dipped in alcohol, and then rinse well with hot water.

Before actually using it on my face again, I spray it with Bactine right before I use it.

Bethany :Thank for your post. I can learn much from your post .
You can get skin care PHD degree .Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
mariah wrote:
Thank you Bethany for your wonderful response re: bleeding!
I can't wait to get rollin' ... I hope it will arrive in the mail soon!

Question to all expert rollers: I bought mine very cheap for $32.- online (ebay) -- will the fact that it was cheap make a big difference? It looked like the other rollers I ahve seen here.

Make sure that you check all of the needles carryfully before using. Some of the EDS members who tried the very cheap rollers found that some of the needles were bent.

If you do find some that are bent, do NOT try to straighten them. Instead, you can trying pulling that specific needle out with needle nose pliers.

What color is the roller...if it is not bright yellow, it is most likely one of the cheap knockoffs with the very thin needles.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
hahaqj wrote:
bethany wrote:
hahaqj wrote:

Bethany :Thank for your post. I can learn much from your post .
You can get skin care PHD degree .Smile

LOL...thanks! I will gratefully accept my first honorary degree! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Planti wrote:
New to forum but have read all the 'rolling' posts.

I have just started using a .25 roller for product enhancement, as I have facial elastosis and female androgenic alopecia, but after reading your posts have decided to go for the longer needles.

Did try to answer the quiz re pain. I have used my 1.5 roller along the jaw line with firm pressure, without significant pain or redness. Consider myself pain tolerant even without wine. I am a non smoker since 1989, use peels about 2 x a week, not very strong, no Retin A but I had a rhytidectomy (face lift) about 15 years ago, so there may still be some decreased sensitivity.

I did a rolling of the decolletage with copper peptide, big reaction, welts that took about 3 weeks to subside, not itchy as one would expect of a histamine reaction, but not infected either. Tried it again with the 1.0 and have some redness, but not welts. Used emu oil afterward. No CP until 24 hrs after.

My partner says you are kindred souls, and I guess that the wish to be clear skinned and healthy is a big dream. I had acne from age 10 to age 48 or so. Before that finished I developed rosacea, so have done IPL on a number of occasions to reduce diffuse redness and telangectasias. It is fun to read your posts and good of everyone to offer their experience and cautions as well as encouragement. Thanks.

Planti, welcome!

I would definitely stick with the 1.0mm on your chest for now (you can move up as you develop more tolerance), and feel free to skip the CPs completely. I have no plans to repurchase them myself.

I would also suggest waiting a minimum of 3 weeks between rolls in that area...I found that once I encountered the histamine bumps, my chest seemed to become hypersensitive, and I had to take 6 weeks off for it to completely calm down as it was getting worse with each roll.

Keep us posted on your progress, and thanks for taking the time to read everything. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
So I am all lubed up with my new EMLA, and I am waiting to roll!

My last roll was on 10/18, and I normally do NOT like to roll more than once a month. But I was dying to try the EMLA, and these forehead lines look even worse now that the rest of my lines are so greatly dimished. Rolling Eyes And if I have even a remote thought of rolling, I go with it since I hate doing it so much. So I have coated myself up, and started pouring the wine!

I will say that the EMLA already feels a bit different than the Climax Spray...it has been about 20 mins and I am definitely getting numb. I may go spread another coat on just to make sure that I am (hopefully) numb enough.

Stay tuned for the update...

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |