Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DuchydeKenny

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
awesome. I'm going to order this spray the next time I order from alldaychemist. thanks

Also, has anyone noticed a slight metallic taste in their mouth after they roll?
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
That is great information, thanks. I might just stick with ice. I just don't know how to do it or what I can get to have the ice hit every curve in my face.

As for the metallic taste...um, Confused I don't taste that. I do know that blood has a copper taste, maybe the smell of the blood on your face when you roll makes you feel like you can taste it. After all, taste is through your nose.

As for the other question that I had. Will the airbrush makeup work better for my skin? Is it better for my skin than mineral makeup Question
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Using a microcurrent machine leaves a metallic taste in the mouth but I have never heard of or experienced such a thing whilst rolling.

As for makeup, I suppose it depends on how irritated your skin is after rolling. I get very little irritation and use a tinted mineral moisturiser but I'm sure both traditional mineral powder or airbrushing would be fine.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone ever rolled their scalp? I'm just asking out of curiosity seen as I know a few people who rave about how well massage has improved their hair, and I'm guessing the derma roller would work in the same way (bringing blood and oxygen to the area etc etc)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
Has anyone ever rolled their scalp? I'm just asking out of curiosity seen as I know a few people who rave about how well massage has improved their hair, and I'm guessing the derma roller would work in the same way (bringing blood and oxygen to the area etc etc)

There have been some people who have done this here on EDS, and a number of men on some hair loss boards use rollers before applying Rogaine.

There are some issues with longer hair getting tangled, and limitations on needle length, however.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
There are some issues with longer hair getting tangled, and limitations on needle length, however.

Yeah, I can imagine Think

My hair is extremely long, so I don't think it would work for me. I wonder if it helped the men with their hair loss at all... hair loss is not an easy thing to treat.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
I wonder if it helped the men with their hair loss at all... hair loss is not an easy thing to treat.

Rollers are quite commonly sold for hair loss - here is one site that may be of interest to you:

http://www.clearskincare.com.au/hair_regrowth_restoration_stop_hair_loss_now.html
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to give a give update on my targeted 3Line roll from last weekend....the redness is completely gone, and I definitely peeled like crazy (my hands are STILL peeling).

I am going to continue with the targeted 3Line rolls between my regular rolls every 4-6 weeks through the end of the year, and then determine if I will continue those or take a break (though I will continue my 4-6 week regular rolls).

However, I have also determined that my rolls are more successful (meaning intense) if I don't try to roll ALL areas at one time...especially since I am really fading at the end due to the required alcohol for pain, and don't always spend enough time on each area. Embarassed

So I am going to try dividing the areas up and rolling a specific area each weekend...like face one weekend, neck/chest one weekend, and hands/arms another weekend. We'll see how it goes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, was it you who said your upper eyelids have improved with rolling over the upper orbital bone (using the 3 line, I'm guessing)?

I'm still trying to decide between the 1mm or the 1.5mm 3 line roller, but my eyelids are in DIRE need of help. It's frustrating the way they seemed to start drooping overnight (even though I know what caused it), and I'm desperate to fix them.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 am      Reply with quote
lowbrow, I believe it was snowqueen67 that mentioned that she does this. I think she uses a 1.5 mm. You can search her posts and find out for sure.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Riley!

Yup, that's the info I was looking for, I just couldn't remember which thread it was in (or who had said it).

I really need to start taking notes...
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I started rolling my scalp about 3 months ago on and off. I have longish hair. I do not roll back and forth only one way for a short distance and then pick up the roller and move it (otherwise it would really tangle hair). I think it is stimulating growth.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
I started rolling my scalp about 3 months ago on and off. I have longish hair. I do not roll back and forth only one way for a short distance and then pick up the roller and move it (otherwise it would really tangle hair). I think it is stimulating growth.

Sharky, what is your objective with the scalp rolling? Faster growth, thicker hair, both? How long is the roller you use on your scalp?

Some of the websites have said that rolling helps hair loss *and gray hair*... my hair has thinned quite a bit due to thyroid issues and I'd love to get some of it back. I'd love to get rid of the gray, too, but I don't see how rolling would affect that.
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Yes it was me re the upper eyelids. This area has proabably improved more than any other for me. But then I did roll them very hard a few times many many months ago. I find this area very easy and painless to roll with my 1.5. I don't even ice. I just stretch the skin taught and roll away.

I think I have also seen major improvement in my undereyes now as well. I say "think" as it has been well over 6mths since my botox to my crows feet and I don't think I will need to get it again any time soon!!! Yippee!!!

HTH

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
Bethany, was it you who said your upper eyelids have improved with rolling over the upper orbital bone (using the 3 line, I'm guessing)?

I'm still trying to decide between the 1mm or the 1.5mm 3 line roller, but my eyelids are in DIRE need of help. It's frustrating the way they seemed to start drooping overnight (even though I know what caused it), and I'm desperate to fix them.

I use the 1.0mm 3Line (which penetrates deeper than the regular 1.0mm roller). I have seen some decrease in the drooping of my upper lids, but I have seen even more improvement under and around my eyes. The 3Line has eliminated 95% of my crows feet....no Botox since February, and I don't plan on getting any more!

I would also suggest that you look at facial exercises to lift your eyelids...I can email you some if you want.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
I say "think" as it has been well over 6mths since my botox to my crows feet and I don't think I will need to get it again any time soon!!! Yippee!!!

Can you believe how much this roller is saving us in Botox $$$? I was spending $800 every 3 to 4 months, so this has been a great relief for me. Woo hoo for us!!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Can you believe how much this roller is saving us in Botox $$$? I was spending $800 every 3 to 4 months, so this has been a great relief for me. Woo hoo for us!!! Very Happy

Yes!!! not sure my 11's will ever diminish enough to go without botox....but we'll see!!!

Now if only my upper lip fluffs with new collagen, then I wont need my juvederm Laughing That would take a small miracle!

rebecca
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I really hope this targets those area I get Botox for: 11's crows feet, forehead. I even hope it to tackle some N/L's and a droopy smile.

I just did my 3rd roll last night. boy was I a chicken going into this. I waited an extra week (3) to do it since my face was still taking forever to clear up from my Tea Tree oil fiasco 2 months ago. And I skipped over the blemishes last time.

I really worked those Botox spots more than I have before. But, I really don't like doing this rolling-I only went in each direction once on most of the areas/extra on the botox spots. I did do some other areas too - like my neck, chest and a scar.

Britany - do you know how many units you were getting for your $800? I usually spent about $450 for 1 full syringe plus either 9 or 10 more units (~43 total). This did the 11's, crows feet and the brow. I started doing this 18 mos ago. The cost does add up.

I'm almost at the 3mo mark from my last Botox. I usually would go about every 3-3.5 mos. Can't wait to see if the roller does it's trick!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I only started rolling last week, using the 0,25 mm roller.
However......the skin on my face is very thin and tends to rosea. I have a few very tiny spider veins on my cheeks. Now the seller says I'd beter not roll those places.
Do you think they are right? Will rolling make rosaea worse or even cause rosaea when you are sensitive for this problem?

Further on......I have the idea that rolling causes break outs, at least on my skin. Because my skin was quiet for the last time and since I started rolling I have some little breakouts on my chin and cheeks.
Do you recognise this problem?
I díd clean the roller with hot water and alcohol.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Jouke
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Jouke wrote:
I only started rolling last week, using the 0,25 mm roller.
However......the skin on my face is very thin and tends to rosea. I have a few very tiny spider veins on my cheeks. Now the seller says I'd beter not roll those places.
Do you think they are right? Will rolling make rosaea worse or even cause rosaea when you are sensitive for this problem?

Further on......I have the idea that rolling causes break outs, at least on my skin. Because my skin was quiet for the last time and since I started rolling I have some little breakouts on my chin and cheeks.
Do you recognise this problem?
I díd clean the roller with hot water and alcohol.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Jouke

I suffer from broken caps but I have never worried about rolling over them with a 1.5 roller. Actually, I think they have improved - not because I've got rid of them but because my skin has thickened up and they are not as visible. Rolling does bring the blood to the surface of the skin so, at first, you may feel that your broken caps look worse. You are also using a small roller so I also think the impact on your caps would be less. However, it is always advisable to proceed with caution. Perhaps you could try rolling a very small area over the caps and see how you go.

As for the breakout - I have never had this happen. However, it could be that your skin is more sensitive and is reacting to the topicals that you applied after rolling. Whatever you do, don't roll over any breakouts - wait until your skin has settled down and then try again.
Jouke
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Keliu!
I was afraid that the needles would stick through my skin and damage the capillar.....which will lead to "broken capillars"
But maybe that is not what causes broken capillars, they should be able to repair themselves of course.
However.....the seller (a medical firm) does encourage you not to use the roller on rosaea skin....there should be a reason for that... Think

And oops......I did roll over the breakouts! Embarassed I understand that is not a clever thing to do Shock
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've just posted this in the "Articles" thread but I'm copying it here too in case you miss it over there.

Found in the September issue of US Elle magazine:

Skin Needling

When gardeners want to regenerate an aging lawn, they'll aerate it using a spiked wheel to draw out small plugs of dirt, which allows oxygen, water, and other nutrients to reach the roots of the grass. Skin needling uses the same premise: A handheld tool embedded with tiny steel tines is run over the face (or body) to spur collagen formation and increase penetration of topical serums.

In 1997, South African plastic surgeon Des Fernandes, MD, began to explore the idea of increasing collagen production by inducing bleeding in the skin via hundreds of tiny pricks. Using devices with needles one to three millimeters long, physicians could pierce the dermis (which generates collagen and elastin) while leaving eh epidermal layer relatively intact. "Unlike with ablative lasers, there's no risk of scarring," says Matthias Aust, MD, a plastic surgeon in Hannover, German. "And in addition to stimulating fibroblasts to make collagen and elastin, needling also releases growth factors, which nonablative lasers don't do."

Aust authored one recent study, published int he journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, that found a considerable deposit of collagen and elastin in the skin six months post treatment, as well as a 40 % increase in the thickness of the epidermis. And while trauma to the skin can often induce pigmentary changes, a second study by Aust, soon to be published in the same journal, demonstrated that percutaneous collagen induction (as the treatment is also called) doesn't activate the melanocytes responsible for hyper-pigmentation. "One advantage is that, unlike lasers or chemical peels, skin needling can be applied to any skin type - even sensitive," says New York City plastic surgeon Philip Miller, MD who frequently lectures on PCI at meetings of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. According to Aust, since a single dose of PCI thickens skin, it may actually make treated areas less sensitive, including to UV light.

The treatment has also been shown to help reduce the appearance of certain scars. "Needling can create collagen to fill depressions or smooth out scars that are raised," Miller says.

However, the procedure isn't without its downsides. While usually only one session is necessary to produce new collagen that will last up to seven years, a patient needs to be fully sedated when three-millimeter needles are used and topically numbed before treatment with one millimeter needles. She may require up to a week to recover from a session with three-millimeter spikes; swelling and discoloration could last one day after treatment with one-millimeter needles.

For those who are turned off by the idea of spending even a couple of days indoors recuperating, there are at-home needling options that also produce skin improvements, albeit ones that aren't as dramatic. Los Angeles plastic surgeon Normal Leaf, MD, sells the TX Roller, with needles only 0.13 mm long. "They're too short to draw blood or cause pain," Leaf says. Since they don't touch the dermis, the spikes don't stimulate fibroblasts directly, but "they create tiny channels in the epidermis, which allow any antiaging topical you apply prior to rolling to penetrate more deeply, amp up collagen production, and decrease the appearance of wrinkles," he says.

Although human studies on skin needling have thus far been performed only on the face, Leaf has had patients use the device on their cleavage and "found immense improvement in fine lines in that area." One enterprising woman applied an anticellulite cream one a day to both thighs, but rolled it in on only one leg. "Within a month the needled thigh was one inch smaller than the control," he says. "We haven't done a study, but it sounds interesting." Megan Deem.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu - this is a great article to read. thanks for posting it.

I really liked hearing a few promising things in it - esp:

*skin needling can be applied to any skin type - even sensitive OK - my sensitive chest will now see more needling

*since a single dose of PCI thickens skin, it may actually make treated areas less sensitive, including to UV light this makes it even more appealing for my sensitive chest (which really dislikes the sun!)

*a patient needs to be fully sedated when three-millimeter needles are used and topically numbed before treatment with one millimeter needles I totally believe this statement (and may be on the search for someone to sedate me!!)

*antiaging topical you apply prior to rolling I guess we need to do this step properly? I've done the Retin A 30 mins prior and the CPs post. I've actually also done the CPs prior, AND B4 and after. My results so far are subtle. Should I step it up? How?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
*antiaging topical you apply prior to rolling I guess we need to do this step properly? I've done the Retin A 30 mins prior and the CPs post. I've actually also done the CPs prior, AND B4 and after. My results so far are subtle. Should I step it up? How?

Retin-A is a must - but I guess the rest is a matter of choice. I just try to load up with anti-oxidants and anything else that is the buzz word of the moment.
Beehive
5% products discount

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies!
I did my first roll with the 1.5 tonight. Ouchie! And the thing is, I didn't even press that hard, so I am kind of doubtful on whether I reached destination (those darn fibroplasts.) My face is red but it did not bleed at all.

Is it a must that one bleeds with the 1.5? How do you all know that you are pressing hard enough?

Anywho, thank you all so much for writing about your experiences and protocols. I've perused this thread, but it's so long I sometimes forget where some of the super-vital bits of info are located.

Holly
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |