Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:17 am      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
I'm still looking for a heavy duty numbing cream that will allow me to give myself a "bloody" good roll Very Happy

I am going to ask my dermatologist tomorrow for a recommendation...I'll let you know what she says!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
[ Just an FYI...I tried the SuperT and hated it. It was very gritty and I actually had an allergic reaction that caused major inflammation and redness. And the container was VERY small!!

Thanks, I'll steer clear! I'm actually more tempted by the Super Juice 3 spray, which apparently functions as an antibacterial/antiseptic AND a numbing agent, to be used *during* the procedure. (I'm still interested in fast-acting, non-occlusive pre-deadeners, though)

http://www.dermalsource.com/topical_anesthetics.html

SJ3 - (ID #103TAJ)
This liquid anesthetic has a new spray container and a new name. Nicknamed "Super Juice" by many professionals because of its super anesthetic power, it can also be used to remove your predeadening anesthetics. This powerful anesthetic is for USE DURING PROCEDURES.

This liquid anesthetic contains 4% lidocaine, 2% tetracaine, and 12% benzocaine. It is safe for use for all procedures other than eyeliner. Use it to remove your pre-procedure topicals in lieu of soap or alcohol, which stop the action of your anesthetic and change the pH of the skin. This product not only prepares the skin, but also aids your anesthetic in penetrating into the dermal layer of the skin.

SJ3 becomes effective quickly (after 90 seconds) and holds its anesthetic effect for up to an hour. When speed and ease of use are important, just "spray and go". Because there is no epinephrine in this product, healing is not effected by continued use throughout a procedure.

Edited to add - this apparently is not the one that doubled as an antibacterial/microbial spray.. I'll point that one out if I can find it again.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
SJ3 - (ID #103TAJ)
This liquid anesthetic has a new spray container and a new name. Nicknamed "Super Juice" by many professionals because of its super anesthetic power, it can also be used to remove your predeadening anesthetics. This powerful anesthetic is for USE DURING PROCEDURES.

This liquid anesthetic contains 4% lidocaine, 2% tetracaine, and 12% benzocaine. It is safe for use for all procedures other than eyeliner. Use it to remove your pre-procedure topicals in lieu of soap or alcohol, which stop the action of your anesthetic and change the pH of the skin. This product not only prepares the skin, but also aids your anesthetic in penetrating into the dermal layer of the skin.

SJ3 becomes effective quickly (after 90 seconds) and holds its anesthetic effect for up to an hour. When speed and ease of use are important, just "spray and go". Because there is no epinephrine in this product, healing is not effected by continued use throughout a procedure.

Edited to add - this apparently is not the one that doubled as an antibacterial/microbial spray.. I'll point that one out if I can find it again.

I was allergic to either tetracaine or the benzocaine...both were in the Super T, and are classified as irritants. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I am going to ask my dermatologist tomorrow for a recommendation...I'll let you know what she says!

Thanks Bethany! I'd asked my physician for a recommendation awhile ago and he suggested I get an OTC toothache relief gel. So I got "Orajel" at the pharmacy - its got 20% Benzocaine in it. Haven't tried it though.....
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
bethany wrote:

Thanks Bethany! I'd asked my physician for a recommendation awhile ago and he suggested I get an OTC toothache relief gel. So I got "Orajel" at the pharmacy - its got 20% Benzocaine in it. Haven't tried it though.....

That's an interesting idea, but those little tubes may not go far!

I thought my derm appt was tomorrow, but it is really next Friday. That's probably good, because if she saw me in my current post-roll/Obagi Nu-Derm state of skin destruction, she might have me committed because I am a danger to myself! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd asked my physician for a recommendation awhile ago and he suggested I get an OTC toothache relief gel. So I got "Orajel" at the pharmacy - its got 20% Benzocaine in it. Haven't tried it though.....

Just FYI - I have a bottle of liquid "Maximum Strength - Anbesol" (it's a topical oral anesthetic with 20% benzocaine. I tried a bit on my cheek - just to see if I could use it as a numbing agent. And, it did absolutely squat (as far as I could tell) - other than make my face a bit sticky (I think it has some sort of flavoring in it?)

I did notice in reading Lowbrowscientist's links - that there are certain numbing agents that are for broken skin and some for non-broken skin. (i.e. during tatooing, etc.)

It could be that benzocaine works well on mucous membranes (i.e. gums, etc.) - but doesn't work as well on intact skin?

I was tempted to try to "break" the skin with the Anbesol on it - but wasn't too crazy about the idea of dermarolling this sticky stuff INTO my skin.

Just an observation... Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
I did notice in reading Lowbrowscientist's links - that there are certain numbing agents that are for broken skin and some for non-broken skin. (i.e. during tatooing, etc.)

It could be that benzocaine works well on mucous membranes (i.e. gums, etc.) - but doesn't work as well on intact skin?

I was tempted to try to "break" the skin with the Anbesol on it - but wasn't too crazy about the idea of dermarolling this sticky stuff INTO my skin.

I actually roll my Climnax Spray into my skin with my .15mm to help numb it further.

But I agree that you have to be VERY careful about what agents that you choose to use for deeper penetration...some are just not meant to be used for broken skin, and can contaminate it and cause various outbreaks or infections. That includes numbing agents as well as various actives.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Taobunny having read your post I gave that "Oragel" stuff a test run on the inside of my wrist - waste of time - it just felt warm and didn't numb the skin at all Sad

I'd previously mentioned that Emla was a PITA (the Saran Wrap/wait time), but I also wanted to say that I didn't think it helped numb my skin that much. The Tridocaine I'm currently using is more effective, but I'm still hunting for the mother of all numbing creams Confused

I've always removed the numbing cream before rolling 'coz I didn't want it penetrating the skin, so Bethany its interesting to read that you do the opposite. This rolling business is sure very confusing!
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I hate to sound lik a broken record here (b/c I'm always saying this) but if you haven't tried it yet, try ice. If you work in small sections, the ice is sooo effective I cannot feel a thing. An added benefit is that it seems to make the skin taught, which allows the needles to pop through easier. I use an ice cube, placed directly onto the skin for a few, maybe 10-15 seconds, then roll. Repeat as you need to.

cheers

rebecca

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually roll my Climnax Spray into my skin with my .15mm to help numb it further.

Thanks, Bethany - you're a gem. Where do you get the Climnax spray? Is it OTC?

Thanks too Snowqueen about the suggestion of ice (how appropriate, given your userid!)...

I have tried ice, based on reading your earlier suggestion(s) - but, maybe I'm just a wimp. I find it so uncomfortable to try to numb with ice... (Not to mention that I get all this drippy meltwater running down my arm to my armpit! (Eeeeek! Cold!)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
I've always removed the numbing cream before rolling 'coz I didn't want it penetrating the skin, so Bethany its interesting to read that you do the opposite. This rolling business is sure very confusing!

Anya, I read about rolling the skin prior to applying the deadener on in a pamphlet that came with the Super T from a tattoo supply place (that also sellers rollers for that purpose).

The Climax Spray has a completely different texture (very thin and slightly oily), and I need all the numbing help I can get. I typically apply it, let it sit a bit, roll the area with a .15mm, and then reapply.

I am definitely rolling toxins into my skin. But I only do it once a month (or less), so I am not overly worried about it. My daily Diet Coke habit will probably kill me first, sigh. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
My arms are shedding sheets are skin...gross!

I think it is from rolling with the 1.5mm followed by RA on Sunday, plus another application of RA in the middle of the week. I am never rolled my arms before, so this is a new experience for me.

They are actually a bit sensitive right now...hopefully some emu oil will help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

Wow, that sounds like some serious skin remodeling going on! I'd definitely recommend moisturizing the heck out of your arms - and keeping them out of the sun! Don't know what the weather is like where you're at - but hopefully you can wear long sleeves to hide/protect your poor arms!

But, with such a strong reaction, I'm sure you're well on your way to good results!
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:40 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I think it is from rolling with the 1.5mm followed by RA on Sunday, plus another application of RA in the middle of the week. I am never rolled my arms before, so this is a new experience for me.

Bethany...I've rolled my arms quite a bit, and very vigorously...but never got much in the way of results. Did you just use the retin A on these 2 occasions on your arms, or were you prev. using it there. I would certainly like to try it, but couldn't commit to regular RetinA use on my arms........

cheers

rebecca

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Just to jump in and say I've just finished my 6th roll on my arms and they're flaking quite heavily, but not peeling sheds. I do use retin a on my arms 3 times a week and have for quite a while. I have high hopes for some improvement with them. I'm considering doing a few more rolls every other week on my trouble areas on them over the next few months.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:03 am      Reply with quote
bethany & mishey - where on your arms are you rolling? top or bottom? I would like to hit both those spots for some tightening effect, but that bottom area (on the upper arm) would be hard to do on my own (and very sensitive at that)

I broke down and bought some Elma cream. I gave away one of my tubes of tridocaine (daughter needed one for a burn). At least those can come in handy for emergencies and won't go wasted.

Got my elma from WestCoastSkin. they said the product comes from the UK and takes 8-12 business days. Charged me just $5 S&H and it was priced $31.50 for 30grams.

Hope the elma will numb me up enuf for a good roll!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Bethany - you're a gem. Where do you get the Climnax spray? Is it OTC?

I just saw this...sorry for the delay in responding!

I get mine at alldaychemist.com. Keep in mind that it is actually made for another purpose (it should be called "Anti-Climax Spray"), and is the only product I have found with 10% lidicaine. And I figure if it is safe enough for his most sensitive body part, it won't irritate my face. Very Happy (and it hasn't!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:32 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Quote:

Wow, that sounds like some serious skin remodeling going on! I'd definitely recommend moisturizing the heck out of your arms - and keeping them out of the sun! Don't know what the weather is like where you're at - but hopefully you can wear long sleeves to hide/protect your poor arms!

But, with such a strong reaction, I'm sure you're well on your way to good results!

I live in Florida, but avoid the sun like the plague (tough to do here!). Fortunately, I work at home and don't leave the house much during the daytime.

Emu oil is a lifesaver....it reduces the inflammation, promotes healing, AND softens the dead skin and makes it come off easier.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:35 am      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
bethany wrote:

Bethany...I've rolled my arms quite a bit, and very vigorously...but never got much in the way of results. Did you just use the retin A on these 2 occasions on your arms, or were you prev. using it there. I would certainly like to try it, but couldn't commit to regular RetinA use on my arms........

cheers

rebecca

I used RA on my arms 2x a week for a couple of years and it has removed the majority of my freckles and sun spots there. However, I slacked off for a couple of years and then noticed that they were slowly returning. Shock

This was really the first time I had used RA on them in a VERY long time, and I am going to continue the 2x a week treatment. But I am using up some Renova that I don't use on my face, and that works out very well for my arms.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:40 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
bethany & mishey - where on your arms are you rolling? top or bottom? I would like to hit both those spots for some tightening effect, but that bottom area (on the upper arm) would be hard to do on my own (and very sensitive at that)

I broke down and bought some Elma cream. I gave away one of my tubes of tridocaine (daughter needed one for a burn). At least those can come in handy for emergencies and won't go wasted.

Got my elma from WestCoastSkin. they said the product comes from the UK and takes 8-12 business days. Charged me just $5 S&H and it was priced $31.50 for 30grams.

Hope the elma will numb me up enuf for a good roll!

I'll be interested to see what you think of the EMLA!

I just roll the lower part of my arms. But I bet rolling the underside of the upper would definitely help with tightening.

Maybe you could put your arm up with the palm of your hand on the back of your head or shoulder, and then roll with the other hand? Alternatively, you could find a friend to help you roll that area.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh...I am gearing up to roll my neck, chest, and possibly breasts tonight. The only thing worse than rolling is the hangover the next day.

I sure hope that the EMLA works when it eventually shows up...it would be nice to be able to roll everything in one session (or maybe 2), and not feel like crap the next day. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="foxe"]bethany & mishey - where on your arms are you rolling? top or bottom? I would like to hit both those spots for some tightening effect, but that bottom area (on the upper arm) would be hard to do on my own (and very sensitive at that)

Foxe I'm rolling my entire arms up and over my shoulders. You can do the upper underneath area, just hold your arm up and you can get to it. It is however rather sensitive. Icing helps.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I rolled my neck, chest, and breasts last night with the 1.5mm roller....I am actually shocked I got through it.

No more rolls for me until mid-November...yay!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Boy Paula Begoun really disappoints me sometimes.
Not so much her opinion on rolling because its obvious that she doesn't know anything about it.
But its her encouragement of Fraxel that gets me. I've research this alot and most people are unhappy with results. It seems to me (from my research) a 50/50 chance of being with my happy with results, which isn't good enough for me.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/question-of-the-month-october-2008-fraxel-and-needle-treatment.aspx
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Boy Paula Begoun really disappoints me sometimes.
Not so much her opinion on rolling because its obvious that she doesn't know anything about it.
But its her encouragement of Fraxel that gets me. I've research this alot and most people are unhappy with results. It seems to me (from my research) a 50/50 chance of being with my happy with results, which isn't good enough for me.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/question-of-the-month-october-2008-fraxel-and-needle-treatment.aspx

Poor Paula Begoun ...she needs to get out more. The more I read her stuff, the less I care to read anything else by her.

Fraxel was the biggest waste of my $3500 EVER. I had 4 treatments, and saw virtually no change in my wrinkles or my pigmentation. Rolling Eyes

And she has some major mis-information in that needling answer...especially the part about the the results not being very visually encouraging. But I will give her credit for pointing out that you can definitely roll too frequently.

But to recommend Fraxel over rolling? GONG!!! Wrong Answer!!!

Thanks for sharing though...I needed a good laugh! Very Happy

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |