Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
This is very slightly off topic, bu I managed to get rid of a big chickenpox mark in the middle of my nose, using a plain sewing needle.

After reading this thread and some of the links, I decided to have a go at filling in the chicken pox mark myself. I'm aware that this is definitely not recommended, but I figured what the hell, I would be fairly gentle at first and see what the results were.

I washed my face, sterilized a small sewing needle with alcohol and started pricking away. I wiped away very small amounts of blood a couple of times with witch hazel. The whole procedure only took about two minutes. The next day the indentation looked slightly red, like a dot of mild sunburn in an otherwise pale face. I went out that day and no one commented, so the redness was very minor. For a week or so there was a small amount of redness from what looked like broken capillaries.

This first needling session raised the indentation by about 30% and inspired me to needle a couple of very small icepick acne scars and a large shiny scar on my shin. The results on the icepick scars was not quite as good as on the chicken pox scar, probably due to the very small size making accuracy difficult. I found I was able to get the middle of the icepick scars to fill in but couldn't get the edges to match the surrounding skin.

The large shiny scar on the shin responded beautifully, but I did have to ice it because it hurt like hell (unlike the face).

All in all I did two sessions on the chicken pox scar, a month apart, and the scar is filled in by about 80%. I won't bother with a third session because the indentation is basically unnoticable now. I did three sessions on the icepick scars, and got around 70% improvement, however there was no improvement from the third session. I won't bother doing more, because these were only ever small indentations that didn't worry me that much, and I am satisfied with the way they look now. Because I didn't care if I made a mess of the shin scar, I needled it quite vigorously 5 times, two weeks apart. The last time was about a month ago, and while there is still a small amount of redness, the skin is now the same texture as the rest of the shin.

New Year will see me buying a couple of dermarollers to use on my face, mainly for increased penetration of actives, and to help decrease the size of my pores. Wish me luck!
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:02 am      Reply with quote
That's fantastic luckylouie. It gives me incentive to keep at it. I'm going to leave my rolls to every 6 weeks though. I did do 6 weekly lighter rolls on my thighs some time ago and the skin there looks pretty darn good.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:08 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
New Year will see me buying a couple of dermarollers to use on my face, mainly for increased penetration of actives, and to help decrease the size of my pores. Wish me luck!

Sounds like you've already had some great luck Smile

I'm amazed that you got results so quickly with the sewing needle, but that is actually very similar to how it worked for Foxe. You are apparently one of the lucky people who responds really well to needling - I'm half tempted to give it another try next time, myself. My first try was with diabetic lancets instead of a sewing needle, and I sort of shot myself in the foot with that one. Anyway, it's late here, and I digress...

Good luck with the dermarollers, and please keep us updated!
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
That's fantastic luckylouie. It gives me incentive to keep at it. I'm going to leave my rolls to every 6 weeks though. I did do 6 weekly lighter rolls on my thighs some time ago and the skin there looks pretty darn good.

Mishey, your every 6 weeks schedule is very sensible if you're doing full-face rolls with the longer needles.

I think for many people (not necessarily me), those smaller spot treatments can possibly be done more often without doing harm.

I'm quite envious of those of you who can get results by rolling more frequently.. it will be a few more months before I can even start realistically looking for results, and in the meantime, I *have* to wait at least 4 weeks because I'm actually looking a bit worse than usual for awhile after rolling. My marionette lines have been especially bad the past few months, and they seem to get deeper/longer each time I look in the mirror Silenced (could be a coincidence that has nothing to do with the rolling, but the self-induced rolling inflammation still makes me cringe in the meantime)

I know it can get worse before it gets better though, so I'm trying to be patient and hoping for the best... Pray
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 am      Reply with quote
I have not been using my dermaroller. I need some inspiration and urging from everyone here. Smile
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:47 am      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
I have not been using my dermaroller. I need some inspiration and urging from everyone here. Smile

C'mon, ruk1, you know you want to!

All the cool kids are doing it Wink
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

C'mon, ruk1, you know you want to!

All the cool kids are doing it Wink

LOL...I am on a rolling break, and I feel decidedly LESS cool!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, luckylouie, So happy to hear of your successes. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
I'm quite envious of those of you who can get results by rolling more frequently.. it will be a few more months before I can even start realistically looking for results, and in the meantime, I *have* to wait at least 4 weeks because I'm actually looking a bit worse than usual for awhile after rolling. My marionette lines have been especially bad the past few months, and they seem to get deeper/longer each time I look in the mirror Silenced (could be a coincidence that has nothing to do with the rolling, but the self-induced rolling inflammation still makes me cringe in the meantime)

I know it can get worse before it gets better though, so I'm trying to be patient and hoping for the best... Pray

Low, How mannt times have you rolled so far? You might want to think about taking a longer break (like 8 weeks) and see if you see an improvement due to a decline in deeper level inflammation. I found that my skin became more and more sensitive with each roll, and did not really return to normal until I took a 2 month break to let it heal.

I know you are prone to more of that than most people (as am I), and I think it really takes us longer that most to heal. However, you may very well have better results than most due to the inflammation. But if you are seeing any kind of negative side effects, it might be time for a break. Focus on your Ageless exercises instead! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Everyone, Just saw Bethany's picture. Wowee! Lovely! Congratulations.

Thanks, Mars!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
This is very slightly off topic, bu I managed to get rid of a big chickenpox mark in the middle of my nose, using a plain sewing needle.

That is awesome news!!! My guess is that the new Derma-Stamp for tiny scars from one of the dermaroller inventors would have similar results.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Y'all have got me really wanting a dermaroller!
I've been trying to read up on all these threads, and I'm sure this is posted somewhere...but has anyone tried this for cellulite/leg skin tightening?

I'm thinking that when I get some money at the beginning of the month, I may get a .5 mm and a 1 mm -- that way I can adjust for deeper rolls on tough skin, and more gentle ones on sensitive areas. Does this make sense, and is it a good idea?
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Lowbrowscientist wrote:

Low, How mannt times have you rolled so far? You might want to think about taking a longer break (like 8 weeks) and see if you see an improvement due to a decline in deeper level inflammation. I found that my skin became more and more sensitive with each roll, and did not really return to normal until I took a 2 month break to let it heal.

I know you are prone to more of that than most people (as am I), and I think it really takes us longer that most to heal. However, you may very well have better results than most due to the inflammation. But if you are seeing any kind of negative side effects, it might be time for a break. Focus on your Ageless exercises instead! Smile

D'oh! (we need a Homer Simpson emoticon)

Beth, this is a great idea, I don't know why it didn't occur to me. I'm going to wait 8 full weeks before rolling again.

I've spot-rolled three times so far, but the first was with a 1mm 3 line and after seeing your photos, I was convinced I hadn't rolled intensely enough. So, I haven't really been counting that. I think it was 2 weeks later that I received (and rolled with) the 1.5mm 3 line, and THAT was an effective roll, though still spot treatments, not the entire face. Not long after that- a couple weeks, I think? I did a "baby" roll with the .25mm, but it *was* a full-face roll and I had a LOT of unexpected redness/swelling/peeling. Then two weeks after that (i.e. early this past week) I did this last roll, which was the second roll with a 1.5mm, but I was test-driving the not-so-numbing Super T/Super Juice combo, so I've been doubting the effectiveness of that one, too. I *am* getting lots of peeling, though, and the treated areas are still very red. So, maybe it was better than I thought.

Wow, I didn't realize how much rolling I'd been doing.. I really *could* stand to take a break!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 am      Reply with quote
I have done my last roll for at least 6 months. I used the Emla, left it on for 20 minutes, then wiped off. I could feel the numbing happening, but when I went to roll, it was like I had not used anything. I did not get any more or any less blood spots than I usually get and I was concentrating on trying to get really deep with the roller. I felt the normal sunburn feel afterwards and redness. That sunburnt feeling lasted the next day, as well as just a little bit of redness. What I noticed this morning was that I was peeling. I have only peeled from using the roller twice and both of those times it was due to using Retin A mixed with CPx2 after the roll. This time, I only used Retin A, and I did not even use near the amount I normally use. So, this leads me to believe I got a good, deep roll. We will see what happens with continued C and A use daily for the next 6 months.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have done my last roll for at least 6 months. I used the Emla, left it on for 20 minutes, then wiped off. I could feel the numbing happening, but when I went to roll, it was like I had not used anything. I did not get any more or any less blood spots than I usually get and I was concentrating on trying to get really deep with the roller. I felt the normal sunburn feel afterwards and redness. That sunburnt feeling lasted the next day, as well as just a little bit of redness. What I noticed this morning was that I was peeling. I have only peeled from using the roller twice and both of those times it was due to using Retin A mixed with CPx2 after the roll. This time, I only used Retin A, and I did not even use near the amount I normally use. So, this leads me to believe I got a good, deep roll. We will see what happens with continued C and A use daily for the next 6 months.

Good luck rileygirl! Hopefully in a few months you'll start see some nice regeneration goin' on.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Although this may have been addressed previously (and I read through the whole thread a month ago) I can't remember if anyone talked about using the Dermaroller with the BQ or Lightstim or whatever. Would it be OK, do you think, to roll about half an hour after using the LED? I can't seem to spend every night up in the living room (especially when there's a hockey game on) either waving lights around or wielding a dermaroller. I'd like to get it all over in one fell swoop, three times a week.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Although this may have been addressed previously (and I read through the whole thread a month ago) I can't remember if anyone talked about using the Dermaroller with the BQ or Lightstim or whatever. Would it be OK, do you think, to roll about half an hour after using the LED? I can't seem to spend every night up in the living room (especially when there's a hockey game on) either waving lights around or wielding a dermaroller. I'd like to get it all over in one fell swoop, three times a week.

No worries, Antonia. I've read the thread too, and I am constantly needing reminders about what has been said/done. haha

If I recall correctly, what type of roll you're doing will help to determine when you should use the LED.

If you're rolling with deeper needles for collagen induction, I believe the consensus is that one should use the dermaroller *after* the LED, as you've suggested. The inflammation from these intense rolls is necessary for collagen stimulation, and the LED would most likely reduce that too much, and too soon if used directly after. You'd probably benefit from waiting at least 2 or 3 days after rolling before using anything with anti-inflammatory qualities.

If you're rolling with shorter needles for product penetration, I don't think it matters much. In fact, since inflammation doesn't serve any purpose with the shorter needles, using the LED afterward would probably be a great way to calm your skin after rolling.

Hope that helps a little Smile
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Lowbrow...that is extremely helpful. I don't do the deep roll, just a very superficial one. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, lowbrow! I am SO hoping that there really will be some regeneration going on!
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone here used this to treat old stretch marks? If so how did it work out. I have alot of old stretch marks on my lower back area and butt since puberty. I am wondering if this derma roller will fix those marks?

by the way has anyone purchase from the NZ site?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Good luck Riley. Let us know how your skin progresses.

When I used the emla I put cling wrap over it and left it on for an hour. I noticed when I took one of my residents to the hospital for an op that they put the emla on her hand an hour before the procedure with an occlusive dressing over it. It really numbs up after an hour.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Good luck Riley. Let us know how your skin progresses.

When I used the emla I put cling wrap over it and left it on for an hour. I noticed when I took one of my residents to the hospital for an op that they put the emla on her hand an hour before the procedure with an occlusive dressing over it. It really numbs up after an hour.

Thank you, Mishey! That is great info to know about the Emla. I should have been smart and read on this thread before I used it, but I just wanted to get the roll done with! Laughing
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have only peeled from using the roller twice and both of those times it was due to using Retin A mixed with CPx2 after the roll.

All I can say to that is "ouch!" I peeled like crazy on my arms when I used the roller with Retin-A there. It looked like bad sunburn.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
It really doesn't hurt, Antonia, but it does not look pretty at all. I am really amazed at this, as my whole face is peeling and this is just so unusual for me!
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
Has anyone here used this to treat old stretch marks? If so how did it work out. I have alot of old stretch marks on my lower back area and butt since puberty. I am wondering if this derma roller will fix those marks?

by the way has anyone purchase from the NZ site?

Simran, forgive me for not being able to give more specific info, but I am about 99% positive that someone on one of these threads mentioned having good results after rolling stretch marks.

I am also pretty sure that the companies selling the rollers include stretch marks as one of the issues rolling can improve, so I think it's definitely worth trying.

You would probably want 1.5mm or possibly even 2mm needles, since the skin on your body is thicker, and you'll need to penetrate the dermis to get the collagen stimulation.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |