Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Have any of you tried the *much* cheaper alternatives on ebay? If so, what do you think?
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
lagomorph wrote:

I did mess up on my cheeks by being too aggressive. I have a couple of acne scars that look worse now. What I think I did was stick the needles (1.5 mm) in too deep and they got stuck and moved too much laterally when I rolled over the cheek area. If I go over this area again it will be a tiny test area and I'll be careful.

This is a bit frightening, what brand roller did you use? I thought the more aggressive, the better.
misspointy
5% products discount

Wed May 27, 2009 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I have just finished my first ever roll...I used a 1mm. Not sure if I used enough pressure but there were blood spots, not completly covering my face but they were there. I could also hear lots of popping Shock ...I found the upper lip hurt really bad, it made my eyes water. I started out thinking i was going to do a "test patch" a i wanted to know how long I would reamin red for etc..but I got carried away and thought Ive started now so I shall finish.

Im very red faced and my skin feels very tight and hot...my son thinks I llok like Ive just had a good work out Laughing
misspointy
5% products discount

Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
How long do the "holes" stay open for? I have just read somewhere and it says about 30 - 60minutes and somewhere else it says about 24 hours. Can anyone clarify this? many thanks.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
Have any of you tried the *much* cheaper alternatives on ebay? If so, what do you think?

Earlier in the thread people had horror stories about needles being bent, or bending very easily, falling out, sections breaking off, etc.

That scared me away from eBay vendors completely, with the exception of Jack (listed on page one of the Discounted Dermarollers thread). There are other vendors with a history of great service and I stick with them, for sanity's sake. I am very tempted by the low prices, but the prices skyrocket when you have to buy new rollers due to them breaking prematurely.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:

This is a bit frightening, what brand roller did you use? I thought the more aggressive, the better.

Aggressive IS better, but you have to pace yourself and be extremely careful not to drag the needles (especially important when using longer needles). I have to watch this too, as I tend to want to just get it over with and I end up plowing along pretty carelessly if I'm not constantly reminding myself to take care.

(Also bear in mind that if you're not leaving enough time in between treatments, you'll end up looking worse either way)
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 10:35 am      Reply with quote
misspointy wrote:
How long do the "holes" stay open for? I have just read somewhere and it says about 30 - 60minutes and somewhere else it says about 24 hours. Can anyone clarify this? many thanks.

misspointy, my understanding is that the holes *begin* to close within minutes, but some of them can remain open (at least partially) for up to 24 hours. So, during that window, whatever actives you apply have the potential to travel deeper into the skin than they would otherwise.

Also, congrats on your first roll -- sounds like you did great!
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
lagomorph wrote:

I did mess up on my cheeks by being too aggressive. I have a couple of acne scars that look worse now. What I think I did was stick the needles (1.5 mm) in too deep and they got stuck and moved too much laterally when I rolled over the cheek area. If I go over this area again it will be a tiny test area and I'll be careful.

It wasn't a dr roller. I think I paid 55 dollars for it, it was recommended on another forum. Honestly, I don't think it was the roller, it was me. It was the first time I used it and none of the needles were bent. I used a ton of pressure, I don't know what I was thinking.
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Lowbrowscientist"]
Coconut wrote:

Aggressive IS better, but you have to pace yourself and be extremely careful not to drag the needles (especially important when using longer needles).

This is exactly what I did the first time, don't let the needles drag! The roller should move smoothly.
beebs
5% products discount

Sun May 31, 2009 5:41 am      Reply with quote
hi--i am looking to purchase a dermaroller and found some on ebay that are selling for REALLY cheap. it seems strange that some brands sell for close to $100 and some for as little as $16!!! i found one place that was selling two for 40 dollars...and as i wanted to purchase two sizes, it seemed perfect...but should i be wary of the price tag??

any advice would be appreciated!
foryourcloset
5% products discount

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I got my dermarollers today! Shock

I have already used the .25 (for product absorption) and OUCH! That hurt! It still stings under my eyes now. Is this normal? I thought the .25 would be a piece of cake, since you're supposed to use it daily. You are
supposed to use it 1-2x daily, right?

I also purchased the 1.0 to use on stretch marks and my forehead/under eye wrinkles. I'm SO scared now! Yikes! I don't know if I can do it girls! I haven't purchased numbing cream because it's pretty expensive, but does anyone know an affordable place to buy Emla? I'm assuming I should use numbing cream since the .25 hurt me. Embarassed
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried just using ice? Ice and bactine together work about as well as emla for me.

Strangely enough I seem to be getting less sensitive to the pain. If I concentrate on a small area at a time it doesn't hurt that much, except my upper eye area. I use emla around my eyes, and bactine everywhere else.
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
So, I am not sure how valid my claims are but I just got done with rolling my acne scars. I am a big supporter of this type of treatment for it has worked for me incredibly for my small lines and my box scars on my face from my chicken pox.

Well, this last round is to help some acne scars that I got (big brown spots) from my wedding makeup that clogged my pores horribly. Now, I did the whole process with the Retin A and C before I rolled. However I did it a different way. I recieved my Vitamin C intermuscularly. I was informed that this is the best way to get the Vitamin C. You beat it internally and externally.

After rolling with a 2.5, only two days later, I could put my Retin A on with no problems. My healing was quickly and naturally and I can see the small change of color in my scars. It isn't as prominent.

So Beth, do you think that this was the right way to do it? Am I ruining the results of the roll? It just seemed that this time it was a darn boost! I felt great about this last roll!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:58 am      Reply with quote
How do you administer Vitamin C "intermuscularly"
to your face?

I thought the improvements took place over weeks and months and not days?

BF
cloudpuff_2007

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Where can I buy this EMLA skin numbing cream for relatively cheap?
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Shock a 2.5 miss tina? you're brave

wanted to report on my second roll (at least 2 months past my 1st). Used Dr. Roller this time which i thought would hurt like hell (cross hatch design) since i don't numb, but thankfully it didn't and i was able to roll my whole face w/ lots of punctures resulting in a decent amount of blood (i think this visual creates an added placebo effect for me (even though i recall w've deduced that blood is not the determining factor for results!))
ANYWAY...immediately post roll i had a new enhanced fold, much like the n/l fold, but just to the left of it -- i freaked for a half of second and then decided a. what's done is done and b. it will definately go away ( which it did).
After my first roll, my skin looked Shock so pretty and full and young (inflamation) for a few days to a week. This time, my skin looked depleted (almost leathery) and i had a slightly guant look -- i considered the possible reasons for this - using RA (only 1x per week) w/ 302; an overzealous roll; the difference between Dr. Roller and the "inline" rollers; just the difference between a "virgin" and second roll. Well i'm happy to report that about a week later, my skin is bouncing back and looking a little better than before and i think i can call this a successful roll! scarring softened and liplines softened (though this could be post roll inflamation, too) i have to add that i am also using 302 and i do facial excercise which both help in the overall health and tone of my skin.
oh, like miss pointy, doing the lip lines hurt REALLY badly, which was a drag 'cause i wanted to "attack" them but had to go easy.
well, sorry this got so long since it wasn't that interesting a roll....still, here it is
mand maybe it will help someone
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
How do you administer Vitamin C "intermuscularly"
to your face?

I thought the improvements took place over weeks and months and not days?

BF

Along with my Vitamin B12 and Complex B vitamins I get a injection of Vitamin C.

I am a vegetarian so these are necessary to keep my body healthy! I then asked my doctor if the Vitamin C would be a good idea and she said absolutely. So every other day I get a shot of 1cc of B12/B Complex and 1cc of Vitamin C!

These are placed in major muscles, not in my face.
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
moongoddess wrote:
Shock a 2.5 miss tina? you're brave

Ha ha Laughing . Thanks. I just use ice but it seems to numb it enough. The crazy thing is, I noticed that I healed soooo much faster this time. I have only been taking the injection shot for about 4 weeks. I have noticed that my nails are much whiter and stronger.

The healing shocked me. I thought that I possibly didn't do it vigorously enough but I did get that blood draw and yes it was red like a bad sunburn afterwards. It took two days, and I didn't feel that hard skin over the wounds anymore. It was weird. I healed fast!

Side note: I notice that I don't get bruises anymore! I really think that all of this is from the Vitamin C.
everella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:08 am      Reply with quote
cloudpuff_2007 wrote:
Where can I buy this EMLA skin numbing cream for relatively cheap?

Hi Cloudpuff 2007,

I buy emla cream from http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/EMLA-Cream.html. It is more economical to purchase 3 boxes at a time.
havana8

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:23 am      Reply with quote
re-posting for Perfectionist

Perfectionist wrote:
So I need to know if this is normal.
2 weeks ago I applied EMLA cream on my scars on my stomach, rolled semi intense with a brand new 1.5mm Dr.Roller, some blood (not nearly as much as those pictures of professionals) now 2weeks later, the scars isn't really improved, but the skin surrounding them is still the same redness as it was the day after the roll.
So now my stomach has 2 big red areas, what to do?

(I checked my dermaroller before and after use, no bent needles)
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:17 am      Reply with quote
foryourcloset wrote:
I got my dermarollers today! Shock

I have already used the .25 (for product absorption) and OUCH! That hurt! It still stings under my eyes now. Is this normal? I thought the .25 would be a piece of cake, since you're supposed to use it daily. You are
supposed to use it 1-2x daily, right?

You're not supposed to use it daily.
Depending on your level of inflammation, you should use it a maximum of 2-3 times per week.

Causing constant injury and inflammation on the skin is not good in the long term run.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 am      Reply with quote
beebs wrote:
hi--i am looking to purchase a dermaroller and found some on ebay that are selling for REALLY cheap. it seems strange that some brands sell for close to $100 and some for as little as $16!!! i found one place that was selling two for 40 dollars...and as i wanted to purchase two sizes, it seemed perfect...but should i be wary of the price tag??

any advice would be appreciated!

I think there's a huge variation of roller quality.

If I were you, I would stick with the brands that people in this forum have recommended after trial and error. I know lots use the Dr. Roller brand and there's a special discount for EDS members.

Check this thread for discounted and recommended rollers:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29392

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
misspointy wrote:

misspointy, my understanding is that the holes *begin* to close within minutes, but some of them can remain open (at least partially) for up to 24 hours. So, during that window, whatever actives you apply have the potential to travel deeper into the skin than they would otherwise.

Also, congrats on your first roll -- sounds like you did great!

In this paper:
Eur J Pharm Sci. 2009 Mar 2;36(4-5):511-23

The authors measured transepidermal water loss (TEWL) as a measure of barrier integrity (i.e. the "pores"). The saw that TEWL peaked one hour after rolling and even after 2 hours it was still higher than the control group. The larger the needle, the more TEWL.

HTH!

Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
In this paper:
Eur J Pharm Sci. 2009 Mar 2;36(4-5):511-23

The authors measured transepidermal water loss (TEWL) as a measure of barrier integrity (i.e. the "pores"). The saw that TEWL peaked one hour after rolling and even after 2 hours it was still higher than the control group. The larger the needle, the more TEWL.

HTH!

Thanks, Josee - glad you're keeping up with the current studies! (I've been a bit lax lately)
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Ok I think I am almost ready to try Dermarollers...

This is what I have thought so far...

a. I'm gonna try to use them for cellulite. I've spent a fortune trying to get rid of it and nothing has worked, so I might as well give this a try.

For this I am going to get a 3.0 mm roller and I'm gonna try the NOTCH cream with it

Since I have to roll them over my thighs, I'm hoping it will also help with my stretch marks Smile

b. I'm gonna use one for wrinkles.
Here I'm in doubt whether to use the 1.5 or the 2.0.
The reason I don't know is...

I can't guarantee that a 1.5 will go through my whole skin (epidermis + dermis) in some spots (e.g. chin, although I don't have wrinkles on my chin!). So I'm trying to weigh these 2 options and see which one is better:

- Use the 2.0 and go through the whole skin + in some places the hypodermis (which I don't know which consequences it can have in the face, maybe none)

- Use the 1.5 and go through the whole skin in some places and through not the whole skin in some others.

I wonder if piercing through the whole thickness of the skin is better than not piercing it fully. I know in one article using the 1.5, they showed that collagen was deposited only in the superficial dermis, so it might not make a difference... but that was just ONE article...

Any thoughts???

(BTW I plan on using a nerve block so pain hopefully will not be a deciding factor)

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |