Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Anusha, my sister and I both had the dark patches on our upper lips in our 20's. Neither of us had been on the pill or pregnant. The only thing that worked for us was hydroquinone. I'm sure EDS sells products with hydroquinone in it. You can also get lightening creams with hydroquinone at most drug stores. Make sure the product has at least 2% hydroquinone. Retinol and Vitamin C also lighten dark patches but to a much lesser degree. If you choose to roll in products, don't roll in products with l Ascorbic Acid or it will burn your skin. If you use hydroquinone twice a day and wear a UVA/UVB sunscreen during the day, you will see significant lightening of the dark patches within 2-3 months. Make sure your sunscreen covers UVA. Neutragena with Helioplex is a good choice.

Dermarolling can help with hyperpigmentation too but that is more of a long term solution. For faster results, use hydroquinone, and use dermarolling to help keep the dark patches from coming back. The hydroquinone and sunscreen only work as long as you are using them. When you stop, the dark patches come back. The results you see from dermarolling take longer to achieve but are a more permanent solution.

I choose to use both. I am using hydroquinone so I can look decent while the dermarolling does it's thing. BTW, I do not roll in hydroquinone because there is some question about it's safety at higher doses.

Most say you should not roll younger skin unless it is for scarring because rolling can damage young skin. So, if I were you, I would proceed with caution and only roll problem areas rather than your entire face. Best of luck. HTH

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Tonia. I wil try that and update results. This is a new hope.
Tonia wrote:
Anusha, my sister and I both had the dark patches on our upper lips in our 20's. Neither of us had been on the pill or pregnant. The only thing that worked for us was hydroquinone. I'm sure EDS sells products with hydroquinone in it. You can also get lightening creams with hydroquinone at most drug stores. Make sure the product has at least 2% hydroquinone. Retinol and Vitamin C also lighten dark patches but to a much lesser degree. If you choose to roll in products, don't roll in products with l Ascorbic Acid or it will burn your skin. If you use hydroquinone twice a day and wear a UVA/UVB sunscreen during the day, you will see significant lightening of the dark patches within 2-3 months. Make sure your sunscreen covers UVA. Neutragena with Helioplex is a good choice.

Dermarolling can help with hyperpigmentation too but that is more of a long term solution. For faster results, use hydroquinone, and use dermarolling to help keep the dark patches from coming back. The hydroquinone and sunscreen only work as long as you are using them. When you stop, the dark patches come back. The results you see from dermarolling take longer to achieve but are a more permanent solution.

I choose to use both. I am using hydroquinone so I can look decent while the dermarolling does it's thing. BTW, I do not roll in hydroquinone because there is some question about it's safety at higher doses.

Most say you should not roll younger skin unless it is for scarring because rolling can damage young skin. So, if I were you, I would proceed with caution and only roll problem areas rather than your entire face. Best of luck. HTH
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile
redcrow1

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:24 am      Reply with quote
Ive just got my DermaRoller and wanted to know if i can apply revitol right after using the dermaroller and also use palmer lotion.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I just had a disturbing experience with my new dermaroller. It is important enough that I feel I need to share it with everyone.

I have both .25 and a 1mm Dr. Roller. I recently purchased a 1.5mm from a reputable dealer on ebay. It appears to be the scientia type roller. I have heard people talk about their dermarollers tickling which has seemed incredible to me since even my .25mm hurts. I have assumed that this means I have sensitive skin because I know it's not my pain tolerance. (Dr.s are always amazed by my pain tolerance) I may also have sensitive skin but now I'm wondering if it something else.

Today, I used my 1.5 roller for the first time. I ran it across my arm, and it tickled! The 1.5 tickled! After rolling it in all directions, I had no blood spots at all. So, I held up my arm and ran it across. It wasn't penetrating the skin. So, I pressed harder. That didn't do it. So, I pressed even harder. No matter how hard I pressed, it didn't fully penetrate my skin. My skin never met the plastic part of the roller. At this point, my skin had little reddish purple spots all over it, with only a few pinpricks of blood. I have never had those spots with my Dr. Rollers. So, just to test it, I pulled out my 1mm Dr. Roller. I rolled it across my skin one time and drew hundreds of little pinpricks of blood. No reddish purple spots. When I held up my arm to look, I could clearly see that the needles were fully penetrating my skin with very little pressure. My skin was actually touching the plastic part of the roller and the full length of the needles were embedded in my skin.

It may be a good idea to try your dermarollers on your arms to make sure it has the ability to fully penetrate your skin. If you get more red dots than blood spots, that should be a clue.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I just had a disturbing experience with my new dermaroller. It is important enough that I feel I need to share it with everyone.

I have both .25 and a 1mm Dr. Roller. I recently purchased a 1.5mm from a reputable dealer on ebay. It appears to be the scientia type roller. I have heard people talk about their dermarollers tickling which has seemed incredible to me since even my .25mm hurts. I have assumed that this means I have sensitive skin because I know it's not my pain tolerance. (Dr.s are always amazed by my pain tolerance) I may also have sensitive skin but now I'm wondering if it something else.

Today, I used my 1.5 roller for the first time. I ran it across my arm, and it tickled! The 1.5 tickled! After rolling it in all directions, I had no blood spots at all. So, I held up my arm and ran it across. It wasn't penetrating the skin. So, I pressed harder. That didn't do it. So, I pressed even harder. No matter how hard I pressed, it didn't fully penetrate my skin. My skin never met the plastic part of the roller. At this point, my skin had little reddish purple spots all over it, with only a few pinpricks of blood. I have never had those spots with my Dr. Rollers. So, just to test it, I pulled out my 1mm Dr. Roller. I rolled it across my skin one time and drew hundreds of little pinpricks of blood. No reddish purple spots. When I held up my arm to look, I could clearly see that the needles were fully penetrating my skin with very little pressure. My skin was actually touching the plastic part of the roller and the full length of the needles were embedded in my skin.

It may be a good idea to try your dermarollers on your arms to make sure it has the ability to fully penetrate your skin. If you get more red dots than blood spots, that should be a clue.

Tonia I just tried this with all 3 of my rollers and even the 1.5mm didn't leave any blood spots on my inner forearm. However last week I had ALOT of bloodspots on my face (from the 1.5). The skin on my arm may be more resilient rather than the DR being blunt?
I wonder if there is a way to test how sharp a DR is? It would be impossible for me to tell when my 0.2mm goes blunt as I hardly feel it.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Miranda, what I'm saying is you can see whether or not the needles are going all the way in if you roll on your arm. You can hold up your arm and see if there is any space between the plastic part of the roller and your arm. If the plastic is touching your skin and you can't see the needles, it's all the way in. Mine wouldn't go all the way in no matter how hard I pressed on it. I could still see half of the needle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Miranda, what I'm saying is you can see whether or not the needles are going all the way in if you roll on your arm. You can hold up your arm and see if there is any space between the plastic part of the roller and your arm. If the plastic is touching your skin and you can't see the needles, it's all the way in. Mine wouldn't go all the way in no matter how hard I pressed on it. I could still see half of the needle.

Sorry Tonia but I'm still missing the point; are you saying you did the arm test to see if the needles are sharp enough?
In terms of penetration, I know the 1.5mm needles went in on my face last week due to the amount of blood but just now, I couldn't get them in on my arm. My 0.5 & 0.2 never draw blood on my face as I don't think they are deep enough. I can press very very hard on certain parts of my face with both such as my lower cheeks and not feel pain or draw blood. However I roll lightly on my forehead but feel pain with 0.5 and it still hurts abit with the 0.2 but there's still no blood.
Umm.... sorry but I don't really understand the point you're making if it isn't about needle bluntness.

PM me if it's too exasperating to have explain to all!! Sometimes I can be a real thicko Laughing
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
It wasn't really a test. I wanted to roll my arms and noticed it wasn't working the same as my other rollers. On closer inspection, it was because the needles weren't going in all the way in. I could see them sitting on top of the skin. I guess it is an issue of dullness. My point is, if I had never used another dermaroller and especially if I had shorter needles, I may have never known it wasn't going into my skin. I think the only way to know is to roll it on your arm and look. It even drew some blood because an occasional needle would go in but most of them didn't. So, your 1.5 goes in on your face but not your arm? I wonder if mine would work better on my face. The advertising said it was for body too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia, from the way you described it and the test you did, the roller sounds defective. I think you should contact the seller and ask for a replacement or don't buy from that seller again if it can't be replaced. I think it's great you brought it up, because other members might order the same roller from this seller, so please let us know how it turns out. I wouldn't risk a damaged roller on any part of your body. A 1.5mm should work on both your face and body. I use mine everywhere (I ave only tried Sarah Vaughter's and the Dr. Roller, and I have been happy with both).
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
WAIT! The needles of a 1.5 are supposed to go ALL the way into the skin!!! I have a 2.0 and dont even come close. I use Emla cream too which numbs me very well. But still the thought makes me cringe....

No wonder I dont see results. Smile
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't know what a scientia roller was, so googled it. I found a few references to the tickling (eg http://www.wrinkle-free-skin-tips.com/derma-roller-02.html) which suggested that it was supposed to tickle.

Quote:
There are two types of rollers – the first type is used in spas and can be a bit uncomfortable - which is why they apply a numbing cream first...You should not use this type at home.

The second type is safe for home use, does not hurt or require numbing creams...With this home version, you will feel a slight tickle/pricking feeling, but nothing uncomfortable.

So I'm not sure what to make of this!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I would contact the company and ask what the expectation is for the roller you purchased. I got two cheapies off ebay (Each at $20.00 incl S & H)I'm going to do the arm test Tonia - thanks. I'm sure they do penetrate because they Don't Tickle Laughing but, I'd rather be certain. I think this was certainly worth sharing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I'm new here:)

breezy42 wrote:

You might want to try the one Bev just ordered from ebay and said that it's just like the one she bought from owndoc:

jaysun-trading_W0QQ_trksidZp760.m184QQ_trkparmsZalgo=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=SI%2BISS%2BUCI&otn=4

A question for Bev or anyone who's bought from jaysun-trading:
Did you get the MNS roller (in the white tube) or the one in the clear case? Which kind is better?

Thanks.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
3rd.oculus wrote:
Hello, I'm new here:)
A question for Bev or anyone who's bought from jaysun-trading:
Did you get the MNS roller (in the white tube) or the one in the clear case? Which kind is better?

Thanks.

Hi - not Bev... My one from Jaysun was in the clear case.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Oh no! It's not a scientia. The one that works looks like the scientia. The roller I have that doesn't work is clear plastic with a green roller. It came in a clear plastic case.

I'm going to contact the seller about a replacement.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa, it's usually the short needles that people refer to as a tickling sensation. The scientia has short and long needles. Maybe they're talking about the short ones. I was surprised to get a tickling sensation from a 1.5mm. If a 1.5 needle penetrates your skin enough to make you bleed, I don't think it's supposed tickle on anyone.

By the way, my .25 is enough to draw blood around my nose and mouth.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, ok. I read your initial post as saying that the 1.5 looked like a scientia. Both my rollers (from sellers in different parts of the world) have the green heads and microneedle labeling, like this: http://www.microneedle.com/main/index.html

They are definitely penetrating (not just tickling) so if that's the kind you got, sounds as though you may just have received a defective model.

(I did think it was funny, though, that the site I previously referenced wanted to emphasize that the roller would only tickle, not hurt)
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:

Hi - not Bev... My one from Jaysun was in the clear case.

Thanks for your reply. So the roller/needle quality is ok? I'm very tempted to try it out, but he(?) didn't reply when I asked what kind of metal it is. . .
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
What have you all found the most effective numbing agents to be?
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 am      Reply with quote
That's it! It even has the same logo on it. I love EDS. I have been able to find someone who has the exact same product that I have and can confirm that mine isn't working as it should. This is great. Thank you Hermosa.
Hermosa wrote:
Ah, ok. I read your initial post as saying that the 1.5 looked like a scientia. Both my rollers (from sellers in different parts of the world) have the green heads and microneedle labeling, like this: http://www.microneedle.com/main/index.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 am      Reply with quote
In terms of roller sharpness - I only get blood spots with my 1.5mm but not the 0.5mm - no matter how hard I roll, which is very hard on my cheeks. However I do hear that popping sound. I hear it with the 1.5mm also but not the 0.2mm - which I'm going to assume is ok as it's just too shallow for my skin thickness to do anything but the lightest of indentation.
When doing Tonia's arm test, I didn't draw blood but heard the popping sound then as well.
Do you all think that this is also a good guide for needle sharpness when getting blood spots isn't an option?
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi Miranda,

I think if you hear the popping sound, then it's going in correctly. Maybe you're just not prone to blood spots in that area.

For anyone with a 1.5mm that doesn't pop the skin, cause any blood spots and you can see that it won't go into the skin, then it's definitely defective. I can get blood spots with a 1mm, but that's because my skin is sooooo thin:(

Your rollers seem to be fine, Miranda. I think your skin quality is just good and healthy:)
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Hermosa,

Thanks for posting the informative link.

I noticed they sell a relatively inexpensive roller cleaning package which I think I will pick up.

Their serums are also similar to Environ (in formulation AND price!)

BF
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Hi Hermosa,

Thanks for posting the informative link.

I noticed they sell a relatively inexpensive roller cleaning package which I think I will pick up.

Their serums are also similar to Environ (in formulation AND price!)

BF

Yes thank you Hermosa - the protocols link on their site is very informative and worth a read (and maybe a discussion or two!)
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
What have you all found the most effective numbing agents to be?

I have tried Tridocaine and Lidocaine, which I didn't find to be effective at all. Emla was my favorite, but you have to leave it on for maybe 20 minutes or more before it starts to numb.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |