Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ReillyD
5% products discount

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using a 0.2mm roller for awhile now - which is just for increased product penetration, and it has been great. I have been using it in conjunction with my Baby Q and love the combination.

I wanted to upgrade so I ordered a 1mm and wonder if it was a bad choice. Not too many folks here seem to use it. The 1.5mm is the device of choice for collagen building. And the 0.5mm is adequate for a more rigorous "workout."

So - what should I expect the 1mm to do for me? And if I find the 1mm to be too severe at first, will a lighter touch give the effect of the 0.5mm? - which is probably the size I should have ordered.

Thanks for your help - I have read most of this very long thread and have learned alot!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
ReillyD wrote:

I wanted to upgrade so I ordered a 1mm and wonder if it was a bad choice. Not too many folks here seem to use it.

I use the 1 mm and think it is a fine length for collagen production. If you read some of Dr. Fernandes' articles, he uses the 1 mm.
Bunnybond
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 am      Reply with quote
Got my 0.5mm roller last week. I was dithering between this & the 1.5mm & after two sessions I'm really glad that I opted for the less invasive size. When I'm ready to increase the intensity of rolling I'd do it gradually & buy the 1mm before the 1.5mm (less of a shock to both skin & user Shock )
ReillyD
5% products discount

Mon May 03, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I am looking for some numbing cream for use with a 1mm roller, which I expect to arrive shortly. I have been using my 0.2mm for ages with no discomfort, but am expecting the leap to the 1mm to be traumatic (gulp). I am in Canada and assume that I need to order it (?) as there does not appear to be anything sold in my local shops. Would some of you ladies kindly provide some sources? Thanks so much.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ReillyD, the only cream I know with a numbing effect is Emla.
I've searched this with Canada and have come across this web among others:

http://static.canadadrugs.com/emlacream/

HIH, A.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
ReillyD wrote:

I wanted to upgrade so I ordered a 1mm and wonder if it was a bad choice. Not too many folks here seem to use it.

I use the 1 mm and think it is a fine length for collagen production. If you read some of Dr. Fernandes' articles, he uses the 1 mm.

From my research I have decided to get a 1mm and call it good for collagen production - It seems to be validated as satisfactory by multiple sources. I also think it will be an easier jump from my current .5 than to go to the 1.5
I have some climax cream from ADC/India but I remember reading a few recommendations for plain old icing of an area before a roll.

5% products discount

Mon May 03, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl + Sister Sweets - thanks for your helpful and encouraging replies. I feel alot better now about the 1mm for collagen building. It seemed like most of what I read initially was saying that 1.5mm was necessary, but since then, over the last week, I have read more reports that say that 0.75mm is the minimum length that would be effective. So for now I am happy being somewhere in-between.

Sister Sweets - thanks for the link for the Emla; too bad I don't have a prescription for it. They require one for sales; I'll check other overseas providers that do not ask for a prescription to be submitted, as I did when I bought my Retin-A. For now maybe I'll start with the icepack.
ReillyD
5% products discount

Tue May 04, 2010 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
I solved my own dilemma - Emla (patch form) is sold OTC in Canada but it is kept behind the counter. You just need to ask the pharmacist for it. You can also buy Lidocaine 5% OTC - which will either be on the shelf or may need to be ordered, but again - no Rx needed.

Do most folks using the 1mm find the need to use a numbing agent when rolling the face? Or do they just tough it out? - which I will do on my first attempt with the 1mm.
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
ReillyD wrote:

Do most folks using the 1mm find the need to use a numbing agent when rolling the face? Or do they just tough it out? - which I will do on my first attempt with the 1mm.

Some people are using numbing creams but some people, like me, are finding them close to useless. So I have been toughing it out but it is hard to roll hard when you are in pain. Needling my forehead just kills!

Some have said ice works better but I am too lazy for that too.
ReillyD
5% products discount

Wed May 05, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
ammoniasmith wrote:
Needling my forehead just kills!

WOW! You are not kidding! And it's too bad since that is exactly where I need to target my rolling (horizontal lines, "11's").

I did my first roll with the 1mm one this morning w/o anesthetic of any kind, and it was rough. Let's just say that I have a pretty severe "sunburn" right now. I might go find some anesthetic cream for my next one.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
burs

Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new to the forum, and I've never rolled before. I read a post that recommended not to roll before 30 as it would cause more harm than good. I'm 27 and considering rolling for shallow acne marks. What do you guys (girls!) think?
hippychick

Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone Smile

I've been lurking for a couple of months now and reading loads on this thread and the information and advice has been amazing.

I just turned 40 last month and I noticed the aging process start to kick in at the age of 37. It was so quick! One minute I looked the same as I always had and then over the course of a few months I just started to notice crows feet, rapidly followed by cross-hatching lines under my eyes and dynamic under eye wrinkles.

Anyway I've been using a dermaroller (1.5mm) on my face for just a couple of weeks. I only use it on my forehead (at present) as I'm about to do my 6th glycolic acid peel tomorrow night and as an experiment I've been using the dermaroller on my forehead and the glycolic acid peel everywhere else. Just to see if there is a difference in wrinkle reduction between the two methods.

So I'll let you know how it goes.

dermaroller 1.5mm for the forehead and glycolic acid 50% everywhere else. Once a week for 6 weeks and then a 90 day break with lots of moisturising and vitamin c creams.

Nice to meet you all! The advice and information that I've had already from this place has been invaluable! Very Happy

Also, I don't know how relevant this might be but my own aging process started after my son was born! It's all his fault! Wink Or it might be that I put a lot of weight on during the pregnancy and then lost it rapidly or perhaps my hormones altered and that speeded things up I don't know.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
hippychick wrote:
I don't know how relevant this might be but my own aging process started after my son was born! It's all his fault! Wink Or it might be that I put a lot of weight on during the pregnancy and then lost it rapidly or perhaps my hormones altered and that speeded things up I don't know.

Laughing Laughing Let's blame it ALL on them!!

Seriously - having children does do something to us. I had psoriasis come out of remission after having my 2nd child. Stress & Hormones. The worst!

BTW- your game plan sounds really interesting. I would love to hear how those two methods compare. Do let us know how it goes - K?

Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing yes I think I'll blame him for the extra 10lb I'm carrying too! Wink

Well, I've done my 6th glycolic acid peel tonight (everywhere but the forehead) so I will wait now for 5 weeks to give my skin an uninterrupted chance to recover from that.

I also did a REALLY intense roll on my forehead tonight with the 1.5mm roller (sorry for shouting but my forehead is on fire right now! It was pretty intense!).

After reading up some more I decided to do the most extreme, intense roll that I could possibly bear on my forehead tonight and then to leave my face alone for the next 90 days. Just lots and lots of aloe vera vitamin cream, factor 30 sun cream and plenty of moisturiser. No exfoliating treatments at all except perhaps a light rub with a fluffy towel if my skin doesn't feel smooth after washing my face.

I'll certainly keep you updated and let you know how it goes.

You're not kidding about stress and hormones! I genuinely think the lack of sleep after having a baby is pretty aging too. I remember when I told people that I was 35 they would always look at me in shock and say 'I can't believe it I only thought you were about 21' but only 2 years later when I told people that I was 37 they just smiled and nodded! I obviously aged very fast in those 2 years! lol
burs

Fri May 07, 2010 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new to the forum, and I've never rolled before. I read a post that recommended not to roll before 30 as it would cause more harm than good. I'm 27 and considering rolling for shallow acne marks. What do you guys (girls!) think?
xflizzardox

Sun May 09, 2010 8:59 am      Reply with quote
oh my...issit true that we r nt supposed to roll b4 30? Im 22 and ive rolled like 5 times alrdy..ive gt pretty bad scarring on my face.
Anws does an1 kws wats the best way to improve raised scars? Does rolling or peels work better?
ReillyD
5% products discount

Sun May 09, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
I did my first 1mm roll last week and it went fairly well - I was able to achieve a pretty brutal sunburn look even though I did not use a numbing agent. Things looked pretty good the next couple of days - skin seemed plumper and fuller. This was so encouraging that I had to contain myself and not do another roll until a week had passed. My plan is to do 6 weekly rolls, then stop for a couple of months and let the collagen building kick in.

Anyway, today which is 5 days post-roll - my skin is very dry and patchy and rough and sore - so much so that I am only putting some calming oils to soothe it. Is this a typical response - or perhaps I should have waited a bit longer to resume my C serum + Retin-A (I only waited a couple of days).

I guess that I need to let everything settle down before I do another roll. Thanks for any insight.
pyro
5% products discount

Sun May 09, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry I dont have time to read 170 pages. Is the dermaroller suitable for skin IV-V type? Somewhere i read DesFernandez doesnt recommend them..Also where would i buy it and i hear up to 0.5mm rollers?
I want to treat ice pick scars. So which needle size do i go for?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 am      Reply with quote
ReillyD wrote:
I did my first 1mm roll last week and it went fairly well - I was able to achieve a pretty brutal sunburn look even though I did not use a numbing agent. Things looked pretty good the next couple of days - skin seemed plumper and fuller. This was so encouraging that I had to contain myself and not do another roll until a week had passed. My plan is to do 6 weekly rolls, then stop for a couple of months and let the collagen building kick in.

Anyway, today which is 5 days post-roll - my skin is very dry and patchy and rough and sore - so much so that I am only putting some calming oils to soothe it. Is this a typical response - or perhaps I should have waited a bit longer to resume my C serum + Retin-A (I only waited a couple of days).

I guess that I need to let everything settle down before I do another roll. Thanks for any insight.

The plumper fuller skin was inflammation and once that goes down, usually the skin can look a little rough, drier and wrinkly. I would think that resuming your C Serum and Retin A after 2-3 days, would be fine. But remember your skin has just been traumatized so the C and RA may be more reactive!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Hippychick...personally I would not recommend a 1.5mm roll once a week for 6 weeks. That would create chronic inflammation that never has a chance to re-build/re-cover. Remember, you want your skin to cycle through the wound healing cascade, and with the deeper penetration of the 1.5, you will keep re-injurying the skin without the benefit of the healing part. I am a bit out of the dermarolling loop here, so maybe that is what other dermarollers are recommending these days. I haven't rolled for a year...but I overdid it when I first started and didn't reap the benefits until I started spacing my rolls out. In terms of doing peels at the same time, I have no expertise in this, but it sounds like overkill to me.

hippychick wrote:
Hi everyone Smile

I've been lurking for a couple of months now and reading loads on this thread and the information and advice has been amazing.

I just turned 40 last month and I noticed the aging process start to kick in at the age of 37. It was so quick! One minute I looked the same as I always had and then over the course of a few months I just started to notice crows feet, rapidly followed by cross-hatching lines under my eyes and dynamic under eye wrinkles.

Anyway I've been using a dermaroller (1.5mm) on my face for just a couple of weeks. I only use it on my forehead (at present) as I'm about to do my 6th glycolic acid peel tomorrow night and as an experiment I've been using the dermaroller on my forehead and the glycolic acid peel everywhere else. Just to see if there is a difference in wrinkle reduction between the two methods.

So I'll let you know how it goes.

dermaroller 1.5mm for the forehead and glycolic acid 50% everywhere else. Once a week for 6 weeks and then a 90 day break with lots of moisturising and vitamin c creams.

Nice to meet you all! The advice and information that I've had already from this place has been invaluable! Very Happy

Also, I don't know how relevant this might be but my own aging process started after my son was born! It's all his fault! Wink Or it might be that I put a lot of weight on during the pregnancy and then lost it rapidly or perhaps my hormones altered and that speeded things up I don't know.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
eurydice666

Wed May 12, 2010 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Although I have been following your threads for some time I am a new forum user and this is my first post.

I have been thinking about buying a skin roller but I do have some doubts and questions. I would be more than grateful if those who are experienced in rolling and/or are knowledgeable on this issue can help me.

I am 33 with some smile wrinkles around my mouth and some sagging around the chin. Do you think using a skin roller would help me to recover these area that seem to be aging?

What size should I use? Do you think a 0.5 would be enough or is it maybe too much?

I was also thinking whether needling my face at early thirties would diminish the future impact of the product? What I mean is that suppose I buy a 1.5 mm skin roller now and use it regularly, would the benefit of using it for 10 years futile? What do you think? Should one start with a smaller one and use the bigger ones later such as in 40s or 50s?

And how often one should use those skin rollers? Everyday? How long one should use one roller: 1 month or 6? I do have some sterilization concerns, do you think they are safe?

Has anyone had an infection problems with the rollers bought from e-bay?

Thanks a lot in advance and I look forward hearing from you soon
ReillyD
5% products discount

Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question about the use of numbing products when using the dermaroller.

I did my first 1mm roll on my face last week without using one and it was barely tolerable. I decided that I should pick up a numbing product so that I can get a more decent roll especially on the more sensitive areas of my face (upper lip, forehead).

I bought a tube of 5% Lidocaine and applied it, waited 45 minutes or so, and rolled. I have to say that it made little difference - and I ended up running to the freezer for a couple of ice cubes to get through the session.

What has your experience been? - I am still new at this and wonder - do you use a numbing product, if so - which one, and how you use it (wait time).

I suppose that things will get easier in future rolling sessions, but for now I am having a tough time. But I am rolling away in spite of a bit of blood and some tears. Thanks.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
ReillyD you should try Emla. You put it on, then put some cling wrap over the top of it and leave for 45 minutes to an hour. It numbs well, but you should only unwrap, clean and roll bits at a time as it does wear off fairly quickly if you unwrap the whole face.
HTH you.
ReillyD
5% products discount

Thu May 13, 2010 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
ReillyD you should try Emla. You put it on, then put some cling wrap over the top of it and leave for 45 minutes to an hour. It numbs well, but you should only unwrap, clean and roll bits at a time as it does wear off fairly quickly if you unwrap the whole face.
HTH you.

Thanks Mishey for your suggestion. I am working my way through this very long thread (I am now on page 47) and should have skipped along to sections that talk about numbing agents. The consensus seems to be that 6% lidocaine is ineffective. I will check into getting ahold of some Emla.

Has anyone here tried a product called "Triocaine" - it is a combination product with benzocaine 20%, lidocaine 6%, and tetracaine 2%; the site says that is works fast and no dressing is required. Here's the link http://www.triocaine.com/ How does it compare to the Emla? Thanks.
hippychick

Sat May 15, 2010 11:42 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Hippychick...personally I would not recommend a 1.5mm roll once a week for 6 weeks. That would create chronic inflammation that never has a chance to re-build/re-cover. Remember, you want your skin to cycle through the wound healing cascade, and with the deeper penetration of the 1.5, you will keep re-injurying the skin without the benefit of the healing part. I am a bit out of the dermarolling loop here, so maybe that is what other dermarollers are recommending these days. I haven't rolled for a year...but I overdid it when I first started and didn't reap the benefits until I started spacing my rolls out. In terms of doing peels at the same time, I have no expertise in this, but it sounds like overkill to me.

Thanks Mountaingirl, yes you're quite right. I came to the same conclusion after I read up a bit more. I've now decided to do nothing else to my skin (apart from moisturise & sun cream obviously) for the next 5 weeks. I wasn't sure about the peels with the dermarolling either but to be on the safe(r) side I've only been using glycolic on my lower face and only rolling my forehead. Hopefully I will see some improvement in another 5 or 6 weeks but I won't be doing anymore roll's or peels in the meantime. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |