Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 3 months into rolling...doing it now only once a week, usually before bed. Here's my routine:

* Boil some water in a mug and dip the 1.5 mm roller in it to "sterilize it."
* Pull back my hair and wash my face.
* Roll forehead, then apply one of the following:
Homemade C Serum,Oat Beta Glucans, Lets Make Collagen or Rose Hip Oil
* Roll right side of face, then apply one of the above
* Roll left side of face and apply one of the above
* Roll neck and apply one of the above.
* Look in the mirror in horror at my RED FACE
* Go to sleep and hope I look human in the morning.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I'm getting a little concerned with all this talk about blood and oozing. As I've said numerous times before I don't think you can compare home treatments to clinical treatments, even if you're using a 1.5mm roller. I don't believe that anyone should be rolling their skin to the extent that their skin is all bloody and oozing. I've been using a 1.5mm roller for some time now and even though I try to press quite hard, the only blood I produce is an occassional tiny spot.

Keliu, I'm unclear what you mean exactly. As I said, I doubt that any of us could get to the point of achieving large bruising, oozing, or much bleeding because we are not under anesthesia at home and the pain threshold would be enough to stop us from ever getting to the point of producing these results on a heavy basis.

However, bleeding is going to be subjective to each individual. For example, I don't bleed profusely but I certainly have spots of blood all over my face - particular areas more than others (could be thinness of skin, not sure) so a lot more than you have. I would think that it would run the gamut among rollers on just how much blood is experienced.

As for oozing, that can happen depending, again, on the individual's skin as can bruising. It also may not be really obvious that there is a bit of ooze but it's something to look out for and to keep an eye on so that it can be properly rinsed and later cleansed.

The information I posted is not necessarily to outline what to expect in our home treatments but rather to give a guideline of what is actually happening collagen-wise and also to give some insight into the proper post treatment (timing and so on). Again, I don't think we are going to perform the degree of needling performed in clinics; that does not mean, however, that we cannot achieve similar results; albeit, over a longer period of time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
My response was initiated by AnnieR's comment:
"I guess I am just not pushing them in hard enough, as I don't have the ooze. I need to quit being a baby and go for it".

I just don't want people to think that because they haven't produced allot of blood or ooze that their rolling will be ineffective.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
My response was initiated by AnnieR's comment:
"I guess I am just not pushing them in hard enough, as I don't have the ooze. I need to quit being a baby and go for it".

I just don't want people to think that because they haven't produced allot of blood or ooze that their rolling will be ineffective.

That makes sense. You're right that we shouldn't necessarily expect to see a lot of either to gain benefits.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I'm getting a little concerned with all this talk about blood and oozing. As I've said numerous times before I don't think you can compare home treatments to clinical treatments, even if you're using a 1.5mm roller. I don't believe that anyone should be rolling their skin to the extent that their skin is all bloody and oozing. I've been using a 1.5mm roller for some time now and even though I try to press quite hard, the only blood I produce is an occassional tiny spot.

Yes, I agree Keliu...I have to try very hard for a spot!!

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Scally is right about the pain factor being a limitation, especially in my case. I don't want to ooze, just make sure I am doing it hard enough to actually get some benefit, I was joking about that. The reason I wondered about how how hard I am pushing is that I have never peeled after rolling and I just push VERY lightly. Now it does get red and I get some plumping for sure, but I also don't put anything on afterwards other than emu oil, which is probably the reason it doesn't peel. I am still in the nervous Nelly phase and I have very sensitive skin so I am working my way up to the next step. I do get a few pinpricks of blood here and there so I know I am least making contact, other than noticing the pain. I hope that I can still get the benefit without using it to push in a topical, at least for now.
Thanks for posting the clinical version of what happens and the healing process, Scally. That was so fascinating to me. I wonder who the original volunteer was who said, let's try this and see what happens!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Annie, I do think you will get benefits even just using emu oil. That's what I've primarily been doing over the course of using the 1.5mm, myself.

As for the original daredevil, I believe it was kyplantjunkie, who happens to be a retired nurse, god love her!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Oh good, I began to worry that for all that I go through, it might not do anything. I do notice a lovely little plump and glow and am so glad I have tried this.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I did my 2nd roll this a.m. It's been about 2 weeks since I did my first roll, and I wanted to do another one sooner, but I was on vacation. I plan on doing it once a week from now on, but I'm confused on whether or not I should apply Emu Oil after rolling??
Last time I applied Vit C and almost hit the ceiling, this time Emu Oil, but reading back a few pages in the thread, it was suggested (sorry don't remember who said it), NOT to use Emu Oil directly afterwards.... Question
Another question....I'm using Emla numbing cream and wondered if Tridocaine Gel would be more effective? Canadadrugsuperstore.com are selling 15g of Tridocaine for $19.94, which seems like a good deal.
Lastly, I'm so glad you've jumped in on this thread Scally Very Happy I respect your opinion as I do Cadia's and ScotsLass', since you all seem to be so knowledgeable on the subject and are a great help to us noobs Very Happy
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:59 am      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
I did my 2nd roll this a.m. It's been about 2 weeks since I did my first roll, and I wanted to do another one sooner, but I was on vacation. I plan on doing it once a week from now on, but I'm confused on whether or not I should apply Emu Oil after rolling??
Last time I applied Vit C and almost hit the ceiling, this time Emu Oil, but reading back a few pages in the thread, it was suggested (sorry don't remember who said it), NOT to use Emu Oil directly afterwards.... Question
Another question....I'm using Emla numbing cream and wondered if Tridocaine Gel would be more effective? Canadadrugsuperstore.com are selling 15g of Tridocaine for $19.94, which seems like a good deal.
Lastly, I'm so glad you've jumped in on this thread Scally Very Happy I respect your opinion as I do Cadia's and ScotsLass', since you all seem to be so knowledgeable on the subject and are a great help to us noobs Very Happy

Anya, just so you know, I don't apply emu oil directly after rolling, I apply it at night after I wash my face.

The reason it's not recommended right after rolling is that it's an anti-inflammatory and you do want (sounds nuts, I know) some inflammation as this is part of the normal healing process. Preventing it would also diminish the collagen rebuilding phase that happens soon after (see my post on 4/20 for an explanation of this).

HTH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am so glad you clarified that. I had been applying it directly after, I must have missed that a few posts back. All I know, is when I had tried the vitamin c after, it did sting so I put on the emu. That makes sense about the inflammation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
For the small roller like the Leaf & Rusher roller (.25mm), you do put products on directly afterward as the point of the small roller is to increase skin penetration. And, yes, using the .25mm one yesterday before putting on C did make my skin tingle quite a bit! I think I'm going to start using it every day before using my actives. I hadn't been using it much at all lately...

When you are working on collagen production, etc. with the larger rollers, you need the inflammation to start the healing process and create new collagen, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:

Anya, just so you know, I don't apply emu oil directly after rolling, I apply it at night after I wash my face.

The reason it's not recommended right after rolling is that it's an anti-inflammatory and you do want (sounds nuts, I know) some inflammation as this is part of the normal healing process. Preventing it would also diminish the collagen rebuilding phase that happens soon after (see my post on 4/20 for an explanation of this).

HTH.

Thanks for the clarification Scally. Just hope this morning's torture wasn't entirely wasted Rolling Eyes

Can anyone advise to what degree Tridocaine numbs the skin? I'm finding Emla doesn't seem to make that much difference i.e. it still stings quite a bit during the rollering even though I apply it an hour before.

TIA to anyone who can help on this.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
I've been following this thread since its inception and have now been rolling for nearly a year - and it's just occurred to me that in all that time nobody has reported an adverse reaction or had any real dramas. Regardless of what length needles are used or how often the frequency of treatments, everyone seems to be pleased with their results. Compared to other skin tools and topicals it would appear that skin rolling definitely delivers - so I think that's something to smile about. Very Happy
lilredhead
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I've been following this thread since its inception and have now been rolling for nearly a year - and it's just occurred to me that in all that time nobody has reported an adverse reaction or had any real dramas. Regardless of what length needles are used or how often the frequency of treatments, everyone seems to be pleased with their results. Compared to other skin tools and topicals it would appear that skin rolling definitely delivers - so I think that's something to smile about. Very Happy

You know, I was thinking the same thing... I guess it's definitely worth the torture!! Wink
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding the fact that inflammation is necessary. After rolling, I apply my topicals then use an LED device because I find it very soothing and it takes away allot of the redness. So, am I doing the wrong thing? Because if I'm taking away the redness, presumably I'm lessening the inflammation. Thoughts anyone?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:21 am      Reply with quote
Keliu...since you have been rolling almost a year, would you say the improvements in your skin have been mild, moderate or profound? Also, wondering how old you are. I don't know what to tell you about using the LED light afterwards. In case it isn't helping, I wouldn't do it every time...maybe just every other session (?) Hey...we are the canary's in the goldmine of rolling .... Eh?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Keliu...since you have been rolling almost a year, would you say the improvements in your skin have been mild, moderate or profound?[/i]

I'm going to say "profound" because before I found this forum my skin was not in good shape at all. My main issues were cystic lumps; sun damage; broken caps; uneven complexion and general aging issues - I'm 58. Of course, I'm doing other things besides rolling - Retin-A, CPs and LED treatments but I think that rolling has really thickened up my skin and my broken caps are barely visible. I was very happy to read that Retin-A is especially recommended after rolling. It does make my skin peel - but that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned because my skin looks so much smoother and all the little cystic lumps are disappearing. My local skin therapist is amazed by my progress and I'm sure that the bulk of it is due to the rolling.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Keliu, Congratulations on your "profound" progress. It's really encouraging to hear.
Good going! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,
What LED product do you have? Did you take before and after pictures.
I am planning on doing that now. I have only been rolling for 3 weeks. I have rolled 5 times. I am working on getting my actives correct before and after a roll.
Last night I rolled only my upper lip my 11 on between my eyes and my jowl creases on the sides of my lower mouth. I used Matrixyl before and after. Then I waited a short while and put on trozac, and went to bed. No emu oil, no cp, no ha. I hope that is correct.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Yubs wrote:
I have a question about the amount of topical anaesthetic used when rolling with the 1.5.

So, you Tridocaine ladies, how much do you use per roll?

Keliu wrote:
I think you should just follow the directions that come with the medication. I don't use Tridocaine, I use Xylocaine and it's recommended to just spread a THIN layer on the skin.

Thanks, Keliu. "Thin layer" is helpful. But I was asking more for purchase planning reasons than how to use...I hate to pay shipping to buy from same supplier twice in a short period of time. I don't know why it bothers me so, but it does. Laughing I just bit the bullet this time and bought a 30g tube. Will plan future purchases from my use rate of this purchase.

Congrats on your profound results, BTW! I think the rolling and the LED are going to "do it" for me, too, and to hear testimonials like yours is very heartening! Very Happy
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 am      Reply with quote
"BTW! I think the rolling and the LED are going to "do it" for me"

Yubs, can you tell me what LED you are using?
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Scally, for your response. I feel more prepared for my next round of rolling sessions. I must just say that I got major peeling when I used the retin-a-micro afterwards, but as I don't have much of a social life, it wasn't a problem, but I have found, that when I use retin-a now, even though I have stopped rolling, I'm still getting peeling as bad, and this didn't happen before I started rolling. Has anyone else noticed this, and should I stop using it for awhile, or is the peeling a good thing? I use it around 2/3 times a weeek.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Sherry--I use, LOVE, and highly recommend the Quasar SP. If the cost of that is too rich for your blood (I had to really think and justify it to myself, ha)there are many others. See these threads rather than hijack this one. Wink

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15282

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17027

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28778

There are other threads on other devices out there, too...probably a search for "light therapy" would net you good results. These threads just come to mind because they're near the top of the list (and thus I've been recently reading them) in this forum.

Happy photorejuv hunting!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
Keliu,
What LED product do you have? Did you take before and after pictures.

I am now using the Anti Aging Lightstim which I like very much. Before that, I used the Baby Q but I'm preferring the Lightstim because I think it has more "oomph". I have taken some before pictures - but I think I have body dysmorphic issues because I can't stand looking at them (can't stand the sight of myself!) so I won't be posting them here, sorry Rolling Eyes

With regard to upper lip wrinkles: I've been having mine filled with collagen along with the upper lip line. This has been quite successful as they're barely noticeable now. I do roll as aggressively as I can over my top lip (I wait a few days for the collagen to settle down after I've had it) and don't think that rolling has had an adverse effect on the collagen as the wrinkles are continuing to improve.

What is your reason for not using HA? I still mix it with a cocktail of other stuff and slap it on immediately after rolling, hope this is ok.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |