Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DermaRoller
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I would appreciate any answers to these questions by some of you Veteran Rollers:

(1) How close under the eyes and over the eyes are you rolling?
(2) Has anyone had any broken blood vessels as a result of rolling?
(3) Those of you rolling with a 1.5mm, are you avoiding wearing makeup the next day or two?
(4) Is anyone applying Retin A products immediately after rolling?
(5) How do you know when to replace your roller?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:50 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I would appreciate any answers to these questions by some of you Veteran Rollers:

(3) Those of you rolling with a 1.5mm, are you avoiding wearing makeup the next day or two?

1. As close as I can get under the eye - but I find it difficult to get very close. I do not roll below the eyebrow.

2. I've had no broken bloods vessels at all.

3. No. I've applied makeup (NCNs Sheer Mineral Tint) the next day after every roll from the very start.

4. Yes. I apply Retin-A 0.1% - it does make you peel more but it has never irritated my skin.

5. They say to replace the roller when the needles become blunt. I guess it depends on how often you use it. I expect my 1.5mm roller to last a good year or more - will have to wait and see.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
bethany wrote:
The great news is that mb935 is having wonderful results with a roller that is only .15mm long.

While you will indeed have more collagen development with longer needles, you can STILL see some benefits from the shorter needles if you are not yet ready to go with the big guns.

This is also consistent with the feedback we got from the DermaRoller company:
bethany wrote:
Horst Liebl (one of the inventors) said that using a .2mm 2x a week for 2 to 3 months will increase your epidermal thickness by 30-40% in 2 to 3 months.

Just to clarify - this needle length is far too small to generate any collagen. You would definitely need to go longer for that.

Bethany - nice rolling efforts yesterday.

I thought that an increase in epidermal thickness was caused by collagen growth in the inner layers of the skin. hmm

But the doc might be right, and I might be wrong. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
Another thing I think is that there are so many options available to alleviate some of the discomfort, why not take advantage of them if you can or want to?

I used 2 different anesthetics (Super T is supposedly very strong), and 2 glasses of wine!

However, I came up with a creative idea last night....I happen to have some Rx Lidocaine patches for my fibro pain, and I could cut them up and use the on my face prior to rolling.

My hands looked pretty good today, which means I did a way less intensive roll than I did with the .5mm. Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

My takeaways:
- It was over pretty quickly (thank goodness)
- This hurt about twice as much as the .5mm roller, even though I had a much stronger numbing cream (I will be looking for something stronger!)
- I doubt that I rolled as aggressively as I did with the .5mm because it hurt more.
- The women who have been rolling with the 1.5mm (especially the ones who do not use a topical anesthetic) are TOUGH COOKIES, and have my full respect.
- I am a wuss, and at this moment am very thankful that I have never given birth.
- I don't want to scare anyone, but Keliu is totally right when she says "no pain, no gain."
- I don't know how in the heck I could use this on my face...maybe with more numbing cream?
- I now know why people pay $2500 for this at a doctor's office...they are paying for the luxury of being put under anesthesia!
- But it REALLY is over quickly, and I can probably tough it out on my face.

Sooo...Does anyone have any recommendations to make the process any less painful??? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Too Funny! I don't know why but when I do my hands with the 1.5 it hurts a lot more them my face. Well, except the upper lip area. That makes my eyes water. Also, My hands stay swollen for 2 days and my face looks pretty normal the next day. A little swollen but not as obvious as my hands.
bodiukein
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:

I wish I had a narrower (is that a word?) roller so I could get in the tear troughs. I have never had a broken blood vessel and the skin on my hands is thin, thin. Played tennis as a kid, teen and in college so, I've got lots of sun exposure.

I did do retin A three times out of six that I rolled and I liked that best. I peeled more quickly with the retin a- 3 days verses 6 days with the vitamin c.

As for question 6, no clue. I have the dr. roller and it still feels sharp as ever! I accidently dropped it and it cut my hand on the way down!
TanyaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Ok, girls. I just ordered 0.5mm at Nova.
Soon I will be able to report my experience too. Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I got the .5 dermaroller, and after reading Bethany's post, I am so glad I did! I think I will have to work up to the longer needles very slowly.

I have a question about the rolling technique. How many times in each direction do you roll over an area?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
bethany wrote:
bethany wrote:
The great news is that mb935 is having wonderful results with a roller that is only .15mm long.

While you will indeed have more collagen development with longer needles, you can STILL see some benefits from the shorter needles if you are not yet ready to go with the big guns.

This is also consistent with the feedback we got from the DermaRoller company:
bethany wrote:
Horst Liebl (one of the inventors) said that using a .2mm 2x a week for 2 to 3 months will increase your epidermal thickness by 30-40% in 2 to 3 months.

Just to clarify - this needle length is far too small to generate any collagen. You would definitely need to go longer for that.

Bethany - nice rolling efforts yesterday.

I thought that an increase in epidermal thickness was caused by collagen growth in the inner layers of the skin. hmm

But the doc might be right, and I might be wrong. Rolling Eyes

Septembergirl, you'll have to ask him...that is just what he said when I asked about needle length, as posted on his blog.

I took him at his word since he is an experienced medical professional, and assumed he has backup to quote those numbers. But I guess one should never assume!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have read on the net about using a derma roller for stretch marks.

I would like to use a derma roller on the stretch marks on my arms (top of triceps, just beside my armpit) and my stomach... maybe a couple of other areas too.

I saw someone post a link to dermaroller .com and they look pretty good to me. I am from the UK and I cannot find any UK sellers on ebay, only American and Australian. Which is fine, I would just have to wait longer for delivery! The thing is I would prefer to buy one from dermaroller .com rather than ebay. The ones on ebay work out at the same price as the ones on dermaroller .com anyway, so I wouldn't actually be saving any money by buying one off ebay... which is normally my aim lol.

I'm not really sure what size needle would be best to go for, for use on stretch marks… 1.5mm or more? Maybe I should just start with the 1.5mm for now, then once I am ok with that I can get a 2mm one.

I was looking at the diagram under the "medical stuff" section on that site and it looks like I would need at least the 1.5mm derma roller to be able to penetrate the Dermis… as we know that stretch marks occur in the dermis.

My doctor recently prescribed me some Retin-A (Tretinoin) Gel, so I will be using that along with the derma roller.
Face4ward
5% products discount

Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
What do our roller pros think about rolling with the 1.5 well into the scalp? My thinking is, when you get a brow lift, it is initiated in the scalp, back from the temple area. When you think about it, it isn't just the forehead that loses its oomph, lifting must also involve the area beyond (above) the brow/temple. By creating new collagen "under" the hair, will that help lift the forehead? (By "lift", I mean, new collagen deposition that helps take up some of the slack).

To Kay2008, Are you sure you want to use the gel immediately after a roll? It smells and feels like it has a lot of alcohol in it. Wouldn't it burn?
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I have read that this is good for hairloss. So why not do it into your hair line. I am not sure about the 1.5 needles though.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Kay2008 wrote:
Hi,

I have read on the net about using a derma roller for stretch marks.

I would like to use a derma roller on the stretch marks on my arms (top of triceps, just beside my armpit) and my stomach... maybe a couple of other areas too.

I saw someone post a link to dermaroller .com and they look pretty good to me. I am from the UK and I cannot find any UK sellers on ebay, only American and Australian. Which is fine, I would just have to wait longer for delivery! The thing is I would prefer to buy one from dermaroller .com rather than ebay. The ones on ebay work out at the same price as the ones on dermaroller .com anyway, so I wouldn't actually be saving any money by buying one off ebay... which is normally my aim lol.

I'm not really sure what size needle would be best to go for, for use on stretch marks… 1.5mm or more? Maybe I should just start with the 1.5mm for now, then once I am ok with that I can get a 2mm one.

I was looking at the diagram under the "medical stuff" section on that site and it looks like I would need at least the 1.5mm derma roller to be able to penetrate the Dermis… as we know that stretch marks occur in the dermis.

My doctor recently prescribed me some Retin-A (Tretinoin) Gel, so I will be using that along with the derma roller.

Hello.
I live in Europe, as well, and prefer to buy from web shops rather than Ebay. Be aware that there are several websites with very similar names. I was recommended to buy the quality brand Dr Roller which is carried by dermarollers.com (with s in the end). The seller on this site is Nova Clinic in Australia. My rollers (0.5 mm and 1.5 mm) have not arrived yet.

According to Nova Clinic (and many others) you will need minimum 1.5 mm needle length to penetrate dermis in order to boost collagen growth and treat scars and stretchmarks successfully. On page 35 in this thread Catski reports about her successful treatment of a stretch mark. She obviously achieved a great improvement after one session.

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Face4ward wrote:
Quote:
What do our roller pros think about rolling with the 1.5 well into the scalp?

I have just one thing to say about that:

OUCH!!!! Laughing

Okay, seriously, I just started rolling with the .5 dermaroller on my scalp last week. Pain-wise it's not bad, but I have a hard time assuring scalp penetration in the areas where my hair is not thin, so I've been thinking of buying a roller with longer needles to penetrate better on areas of my scalp other than the thinning part. Just to stimulate things a bit. However, I don't know that I'd do a 1.5 roll on my head. I think it would be quite painful, and I would be afraid to overly-traumatize my already traumatized hair follicles. YMMV. I've been leaning more towards a .75 or a 1.0.

I have read some stuff (can't sort it out or really remember where) about rolling perhaps stimulating stem cells, in which case the longer-needled rollers might be needed. But I need to go back and research this. Everything I've read about rolling the scalp has been encouraging, though. So we'll see how it goes.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Re. scalp rolling:

Nova clinic recommends the 0.25 mm length for thinning hair and greying hair and the 0.5 mm length for treating baldness and alopecia. They don't recommend the longer needles for scalp.

http://www.dermarollers.com/hair.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl....
Hello..... greying hair. It works on greying hair?
FloridaUSA

Thu May 29, 2008 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
After I roll Im really itchy, and the itching can last for a couple days. Any suggestions?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
FloridaUSA wrote:
After I roll Im really itchy, and the itching can last for a couple days. Any suggestions?

Are you putting anything on after you roll that could be making you itch, like copper petides?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Hello.
I live in Europe, as well, and prefer to buy from web shops rather than Ebay. Be aware that there are several websites with very similar names. I was recommended to buy the quality brand Dr Roller which is carried by dermarollers .com (with s in the end). The seller on this site is Nova Clinic in Australia. My rollers (0.5 mm and 1.5 mm) have not arrived yet.

According to Nova Clinic (and many others) you will need minimum 1.5 mm needle length to penetrate dermis in order to boost collagen growth and treat scars and stretchmarks successfully. On page 35 in this thread Catski reports about her successful treatment of a stretch mark. She obviously achieved a great improvement after one session.

Smile

Hi,

Yes, sorry I forgot to add the 's' in my previous post!

When did you place your order for your rollers? (if you don't mind me asking).
I don't recall seeing any information on the dermarollers .com website about delivery times... unless I missed it Embarassed

I will probably go for the 1.5mm roller for now, I will see how I get on with that first.

(I will be ordering mine from the Nova Clinic -dermarollers .com website. It will work out at about roughly Ł58 including shipping).

Smile
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
PS. I just ordered my 1.5mm just a waiting game now for it to arrive in the post!

Will probably be a while as it's coming from Aus to UK Very Happy
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
Septembergirl....
Hello..... greying hair. It works on greying hair?

It might, according to the Dermarollers website. You will find information about scalp rolling in the link I provided above. You should only roll in one direction, and you can roll in conjunction with pharmacy products like Rogaine and Minoxidil to boost the effect of the products.

For those who are not using pharmacy products, I believe it can be beneficial to apply an oil mix on the scalp pre- or post-rolling. Rosemary essential oil is believed to stimulate hair growth and can be added to coconut/jojoba/ olive oils.

Kay2008 - I am in Norway and placed my order last Friday (one week ago). I think it might take at least one more week before the package shows up.Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
And now it's time for "Rolling with The Newbie Wuss - Part II"... Very Happy

Tonight I rolled my neck, chest, and 2 areas on my breasts where I have some silvery stretch marks.

I prepped with the Bactine spray, and used my .5mm roller...MUCH more tolerable!! Surprised Surprised Surprised Whew!!

The neck was ticklish, the chest was fine, and I really couldn't even feel the needles on the out edge of my breasts (which says I may try the 1.0mm there next time).

Scally told me that it gets easier over time, so I am still holding out hope of working up the 1.0mm. But for the moment I am sticking to the .5mm. Crying or Very sad

One thing I did want to point out is Keliu's recommendation to be aware of your cycle because we are more sensitive to pain then...I am due sometime next week, so maybe I am on the edge of the heightened pain? This was also specifically mentioned in my Dr. Roller insert where it said not to roll during your period.

Tomorrow I will be completing my face with the .5mm, so watch for an update on that if you are following this.

Oh, and many thanks for the supportive PMs!! Very Happy

Editing to add: I will NOT be using Retin A this first time on my neck and chest, since I tend to be VERY sensitive in this area and often break out in those itchy bumps from hell. I am going to stick to Super GHK only tonight, followed by emu oil. I'll decide my strategy for the next roll after I see the damage in the morning!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Well, it is now 12 hours later, and I look like I am wearing a red turtleneck. Shock Or that I have a very bad sunburn, which is actually more feasible here in Florida.

Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 am      Reply with quote
re: itching

I usually just put on cocoabutter. But I've done it with nothing after and still get the itching. Maybe itching is just part of the healing process, but its a real bother. And the itching lasts for days!!!

Anyone else get this?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 30, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Kay2008 - I am in Norway and placed my order last Friday (one week ago). I think it might take at least one more week before the package shows up.Smile

I have to correct myself. My Dermarollers arrived from Australia today, followed by two little, sweet koala bears in the package. I think one week delivery time from Australia to Norway is great. Nova Clinic has also replied quickly to a couple of questions I emailed, so I am happy with their cs.

I used my 1.5 mm roller today on some raised scars on the back of my lower leg, just below the knee. This is a sensitive area! I used ice prior to treatment, and it was painful, but bearable. I did not bleed, but I can see some marks of blood under the skin surface. The area is pretty red now. It was most painful in the beginning. After some rolls I became more immune to the pain.

I was also rolling some scars and marks on my thighs. This was not half as painful, and now I am not afraid to try the roller on a stretch mark on my inner thigh next time. The more flesh, the less pain, obviously.

I used the 1.5 mm roller in my under eye area, as well. I must have been careful because the skin is only slightly red. I will try the 0.5 mm roller in my face tomorrow.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |