Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
55 and over Skin Care issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I forgot about Katie she's 50 we'll see how long she'll make it and she has had face lifts I doubt she'd be there without them, look at her chin line. The other 2 were taken off the anchor fast track long ago (60 minutes correspondent is not a high level job). Nearly every evening news in the country is an older guy /cute young girl format.

Back on thread I do take many supplements (green tea, resveratrol, Carnosine, multi some other antioxidants on and off and bought MSM to try but haven't really started). I think they do something but do not really know.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Sylvie wrote:
I am still working - teach art to 3-5year olds and love it. I have 3 children of my own 16, 25, 29 and am very happily divorced.I'm too much of a coward to have a face lift though have contimplated getting Botox if nothing else works. I hope you guys can help me out - I really need HELP!
Sylvie

I'm in the cowards club when it comes to cutting up my face. I see nothing wrong with botox but I also hate needles as well. I'm just turning 50 and I have oily skin and I don't look bad at my age. What I noticed that past few years was all the stuff that made me feel insecure were the things my husband couldn't care less about. I have finally ordered some Remergent DNA because it's supposed to be good for sun damage and I'd seen so many posative posts about it. I stay out of the sun which is easy on the West Coast of BC I don't know how you'd do it in Australia short of becoming a night person Wink
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:

I was about to ask the same question!

I note that a few of you use HA and emu oil. I have tried using these but I must say I am not fan of them. I tried mixing HA+emu, applying HA first and then emu etc. but just does not work for me. I feel a film of oil on my face even though I have put it for an hour or so and patches of my face still looks dry. Any suggestions?

Ninetynine, I've tried emu and, besides the smell gagging me, it's like an oil-slick on my face. I switched over to Silkia Camellia Oil quite awhile back. It absorbs fast and holds the moisture in, making your face and neck soft and supple without that greasy feeling.

hth

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
althought i'm not 50's, but i like this topic! monthor's day is coming, i want to buy something for my monther!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ninetynine - I've had the same experience with emu as Arielle has, but my alternative is macadamia oil.

Also, I should mention I've had some bad experiences with products containing high amounts of HA -- for me, they can often be quite drying.

Hi helenzwl - if you give us some details about your mother's skin condition, as well as perhaps which types of products have helped her and/or which haven't, maybe we can come up with some suggestions.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for starting this thread though I have zip useful contributions to make. Aside from scary the living ?%!*%* out of me about the potential cliffs after 50 (I better pencil in the botox from today) I will get some great info I can pass on to my mum. I find she has some personality differences since going through the whole menopause process and having a few skin challenges as well. Right now anything that hydrates her skin seems to work well, even stuff that is like poison to me like La Mer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi Ninetynine - I've had the same experience with emu as Arielle has, but my alternative is macadamia oil.

Also, I should mention I've had some bad experiences with products containing high amounts of HA -- for me, they can often be quite drying.

Hi helenzwl - if you give us some details about your mother's skin condition, as well as perhaps which types of products have helped her and/or which haven't, maybe we can come up with some suggestions.

If any of you have had the same problem with HA, get thee hence to a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, whatever is closest and buy a bottle of non-oily Na-PCA by TwinLab. I use a light spritz of this on my fine, dry hair before drying and styling and on my face & neck, as well. I also use a fine mist of it over my MMU to set it.

Just a thought.

A

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Frodo, do you live near a GNC? I take their "Amino Burst 3000" for athletes (which I'm not. LOL) This is the only one I've found that has the perfect amount of all essential aminos and branched-chain aminos except L-Arginine. I still have to supplement that.

A

Arielle

What is the perfect amount of the essential aminos. I'm going to GNC today but I can't find this in their catalog so I am not sure this is available in Australia. Is this a powder drink? So do you take 1000 mg of amino burst plus 1000mg of L-Arginine?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Ninetynine, If you can find the 100% Whey Protein Powdered Drink Mix, that's even better--fewer pills to take and a lot less expensive. The drink mix comes in a variety of flavors including vanilla and chocolate. To me, the better (more palatable) flavors are the Strawberry Banana and the Orange Cream. One serving gives the following amino acid amounts:

Alanine 1,550 mg .................. Lysine 1,770 mg
Arginine 500 mg ..................Methionine 350 mg
Aspartate 2,300 mg...................Phenylanine 580 mg
Cystine 310 mg...................Proline 1,380 mg
Glutamate 3,290 mg ....................Serine 1,360 mg
Glycine 700 mg....................Threonine 1,580 mg
Histidine 360 mg...................Tryptophan 40 mg
Isoleucine 1,240 mg.....................Tyrosine 450 mg
Leucine 2,300 mg....................Valine 1,330 mg

Drink 2 servings a day and take two 500 mg Arginine caps to start. Build up the L-Arginine to 4-5 tabs a day.

If you do this, you'll start seeing major improvements in your hair, skin and nails in about 4-6 weeks.

hth

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Ninetynine, If you can find the 100% Whey Protein Powdered Drink Mix, that's even better--fewer pills to take and a lot less expensive. The drink mix comes in a variety of flavors including vanilla and chocolate. To me, the better (more palatable) flavors are the Strawberry Banana and the Orange Cream. One serving gives the following amino acid amounts:

Drink 2 servings a day and take two 500 mg Arginine caps to start. Build up the L-Arginine to 4-5 tabs a day.

If you do this, you'll start seeing major improvements in your hair, skin and nails in about 4-6 weeks.

hth

Ari

I saw the Whey Powder but opted out and I bought a powder which has the following per serve:
Glycine - 250 mg
Arginine - 400 mg
Histidine - 250 mg
Isoleucine - 550 mg
Leucine - 850 mg
Lysine - 650 mg
Methionine -100 mg
Phenylalanine - 350 mg
Threonine - 450 mg
Tyrosine - 500 mg
Valine - 650 mg

I was put off getting the Arginine caps because the lady said that if I was prone to cold sores, Arginine and Leucine (I think, something that sounds like it) seem to bring them on and the caps that they have are much stronger around 3,125 mg - may I should check if that is the dosage per cap or the total recommended dosage per day. I think I will try to return what I bought today and exchange it something else and get the 100% Whey Powder.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine wrote:

I saw the Whey Powder but opted out and I bought a powder which has the following per serve:
Glycine - 250 mg
Arginine - 400 mg
Histidine - 250 mg
Isoleucine - 550 mg
Leucine - 850 mg
Lysine - 650 mg
Methionine -100 mg
Phenylalanine - 350 mg
Threonine - 450 mg
Tyrosine - 500 mg
Valine - 650 mg

I was put off getting the Arginine caps because the lady said that if I was prone to cold sores, Arginine and Leucine (I think, something that sounds like it) seem to bring them on and the caps that they have are much stronger around 3,125 mg - may I should check if that is the dosage per cap or the total recommended dosage per day. I think I will try to return what I bought today and exchange it something else and get the 100% Whey Powder.

Ninetynine, not being prone to cold sores myself, I didn't think of that. Cold sores DO have a have an affinity for Arginine (that's why nuts and chocolate bring them on in some people). Lysine, on the other hand, suppresses cold sores. So make sure that whatever you get has higher Lysine than Arginine. The Leucine affinity is news to me, though. I probably need to check that out, just to be sure.

Thanks,

A

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Ninetynine wrote:

Glycine - 250 mg
Arginine - 400 mg
Histidine - 250 mg
Isoleucine - 550 mg
Leucine - 850 mg
Lysine - 650 mg
Methionine -100 mg
Phenylalanine - 350 mg
Threonine - 450 mg
Tyrosine - 500 mg
Valine - 650 mg

Ninetynine, not being prone to cold sores myself, I didn't think of that. Cold sores DO have a have an affinity for Arginine (that's why nuts and chocolate bring them on in some people). Lysine, on the other hand, suppresses cold sores. So make sure that whatever you get has higher Lysine than Arginine. The Leucine affinity is news to me, though. I probably need to check that out, just to be sure.

Thanks,

A

Arielle

I think it is Lysine, I just couldn't catch what term she was using. Do you think I can stick with what I've got. According to bottle the maximum dosage I can only have (which is for muscle mass) 2 serves per day, which I think is too low for our purposes. Maybe I should just change this for the 100% Whey and then I get Arginine and Lysine (if the Whey is too low on Lysine).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine, if she said Lysine brings on cold sores, she's mistaken. Lysine is used to treat them because it's a powerful suppressant to cold sores. Do go ahead and get the Whey Powder especially for the other essential aminos and because it has a decent amount of Arginine, too. Your skin, hair and nails will STILL love you! If you do supplement with Arginine (which I still recommend), make sure you supplement with Lysine to keep it higher than the Arginine. If you're prone to cold sores just don't go overboard on the Arginine. Limit your Arginine intake to 2,000 mgs a day or just under. If you do get an outbreak back down on the Arginine and up the Lysine to get rid of the cold sore. No one wants cold sores but you'll at least know what your Arginine limit is. I really think, though, if you keep it at a 2,000 mg daily limit you should be fine as long as you take more Lysine than that.

hth

A

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Ninetynine, if she said Lysine brings on cold sores, she's mistaken. Lysine is used to treat them because it's a powerful suppressant to cold sores. Do go ahead and get the Whey Powder especially for the other essential aminos and because it has a decent amount of Arginine, too. Your skin, hair and nails will STILL love you! If you do supplement with Arginine (which I still recommend), make sure you supplement with Lysine to keep it higher than the Arginine. If you're prone to cold sores just don't go overboard on the Arginine. Limit your Arginine intake to 2,000 mgs a day or just under. If you do get an outbreak back down on the Arginine and up the Lysine to get rid of the cold sore. No one wants cold sores but you'll at least know what your Arginine limit is. I really think, though, if you keep it at a 2,000 mg daily limit you should be fine as long as you take more Lysine than that.

hth

A

Thanks so much for your advice. My younger daughter keeps questioning why I need the amino acids supplement since we get most of these from food anyway. Wait still she gets older!

Still has to hunt down ester C. I already take fish oil but I don't have flax seed oil so I need to add that and Vit B too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
A big thumbs up to NA-PCA that Arielle mentioned. We don't have either store she mentioned but you can sometimes find it at health food stores or ask them for it. It's not only a great moisturizer, it is so light you won't know you put it on.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Arielle or anyone else, Do the Arginine and/or Lysine supplements can stomach or bowel upset? Let me you if you know. Thanks.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
Arielle or anyone else, Do the Arginine and/or Lysine supplements can stomach or bowel upset? Let me you if you know. Thanks.

Hi, nomoreneckpain

I've looked and looked and can't find that effect regarding either of these aminos. So...my guess would be "no, they don't".

hth

A

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
thanks Arielle.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Frodo, do you live near a GNC? I take their "Amino Burst 3000" for athletes (which I'm not. LOL) This is the only one I've found that has the perfect amount of all essential aminos and branched-chain aminos except L-Arginine. I still have to supplement that.

A

I finally was let out of the house today (just kidding) and went to GNC. I picked up a bottle of Amino Burst 3000, 90 tablets, and L-arginine 1000, 1000mg 90 tablets. Is this correct? Was I suppose to look for Amino Burst 3000 that you mix up into a drink? I am not opening them until I get an answer just incase I need to return them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
No, those are fine, Frodo. But, if you prefer a drink mix, the 100% Whey Protein has higher proportional doses of the aminos. I have both the supplements and the mix and it's just a matter of what I'm in the mood for.

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
No, those are fine, Frodo. But, if you prefer a drink mix, the 100% Whey Protein has higher proportional doses of the aminos. I have both the supplements and the mix and it's just a matter of what I'm in the mood for.

A

I take tonssssssssssss fo vit's but not sure if I get aminos..sighs...i take all from a- literally omega's to coq10..ect....am I covered A! Oh and gonna get back to bq and the mix..but had horrible migraine last nite and a no go on beauty!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

A

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to add that the Amino Burst 3000 is 3 caps per serving. Should I space them, is that too much for my first time on this stuff, do you think the mix up stuff would be better? Whew, so many questions, I am a novice at this stuff. Hey, my bioten is working on my hair so I guess that's a good sign that I am learning about supplements. Hair went from growing 1/4 inch a month to 1 full inch.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Woohoo!! Obviously you were biotin-deficient and, if so, other deficiencies are at play, too.

You can take all three together--no problem. Later, for convenience, you might want to try the drink mix.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Woohoo!! Obviously you were biotin-deficient and, if so, other deficiencies are at play, too.

In more ways that one. But I can multi-task! Dancing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

hth

Ari

Ari

Does that mean I need about 2,000 mg of Arginine ie drink twice of 100% Whey + 2 caps of 500 mg of Arginine?

I found that GNC has a Mega Whey Extreme that is more concentrated, so I could get away with 1 drink. Here's the ingredients:
Alanine 3,480 mg .................. Lysine 6,416 mg
Arginine 1,628 mg ..................Methionine 1,468 mg
Aspartate 7,576 mg.................Phenylanine 2,394 mg
Cystine 1,777 mg...................Proline 3,937 mg
Glutamate 1,200 mg ..................Serine 3,320 mg
Glycine 1,309 mg....................Threonine 4,554 mg
Histidine 1,394 mg...................Tryptophan 1,160 mg
Isoleucine 4,405 mg...................Tyrosine 2,086 mg
Leucine 7,725 mg....................Valine 4,171 mg

It looks a lot more concentrated nearly 3x of the 100% Whey, except for the Glutamic. Don't know if they sell it in Australia though.

I have also been told by the salesperson that I could use this as the 100% Whey as a weight loss/control drink. Has anyone tried this?

I couldn't believe the price difference between Australia and US for these whey products, it's nearly 3x the cost in Australia. I know the shipping is expensive, but I can't see how this would make the product cost 3x more Shock

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |