Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

55 and over Skin Care issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anndy

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the kind words, Winnie. Glad you are trying the flex effect. Have looked at the Baby Q and the bigger one. Just worried about heat with the bigger one. How hot does yours get? I keep leaning toward the large one since time spent is shortened. With flex effect too, I worry about getting frustrated. Just not used to all this maintenance Confused Used J & B C + C on my chin today - no reaction so will test bigger area tomorrow. Smile Anndy
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Help!!

I'm 58 and for years have had really good skin, not wearing much makeup or doing anything special. Well, at 55 it all changed! Since then, I have been on a merry-go-round of products, some of which I believe have made things so much worse. Today, looking at my skin with the spots and uneven tone, I wonder if it only aging that is the cause of all this?

I have tried:

Vitamin C = clogged pores and broke out in bumps. tried many brands

SkinBio copper peptides = I went slow like suggested but the uglies came and I don't think they have gone away yet (stopped 6 months ago)

Dr H products = hoping my skin would like a 'natural' skincare line; while my skin felt nourished and rosy, small bumps from the essential oils just did not go away

Paula's Choice products = at the start, these products seemed great, but then I started experiencing more breakouts and milia

PSF = still using various products, but wonder if some ingredient in either the perfecting day lotion or the green tea cleanser or ? is clogging the pores and getting more blackheads, especially from the Retinol .5%, which I now only use once week or less

Jan Marini = new purchase of bioclear lotion for spot breakouts and transformation serum; think the serum is giving me more milia in places I never had it before

Long ago: Clinique = just not the products for me!

Longer ago: Olay (if anyone remembers their pink lotion!), used it for quite a long time without any problems but maybe it got discontinued. Neutrogena = ugh. Este Lauder = ugh.

I'm really at my wit's end about what to do and what to do with all these half finished bottles that I'm not sure if they are the cause of more problems or if my skin is just going through it's first childhood (never had breakouts as a teen!).

Don't know if it is a specific ingredient (I hear forum members say they are sensitive to shea butter, oils, etc. but how does one really find out the specific sensitivity? My major issue seems to be milia or clogged pores, which I have even read is from too much exfoliation!

Any words of wisdom from women my age would be greatly appreciated! I have learned much from this forum; unfortunately, not much of what people rave about has been a HG for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Smoky, maybe your just overdoing it a bit. Why don't you give everything a break, and start back from square one.

I'm reading the new book; "The New Science Of Perfect Skin", and he advocates a less is more approach. Time and again throughout the book he recommends 'Oil Of Olay' products. Since you mentioned not having a problem with that ages ago, maybe it would work for you now.

Here is a scenario you might want to try, based on his recommendations in the book;

Olay Foaming Face Wash or Dove products for cleansing.

Olay Complete All Day Moisture SPF 15 +
Olay Total Effects vitamin complex for protection and moisturizing.

Sometimes backing off, and just giving it all a rest, can do wonders. Less is more is a good thing in my experience.

Good luck!
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Smoky1,

I agree with Kris Kringle's suggestion of a "back-to-basics" approach. If you are having breakouts and milia, I would focus on your cleansing process. Don't forget to look at your cleansing product as well as the other products you use to see if it may be contributing to your breakouts. But, also remember that your current breakouts may be related to hormonal changes as well.

My cleansing recommendations:

Look into the Clarisonic skin brushwww.clarisonic.com It's an expensive initial investment that's worth it. Many posters here consider it one of the best things they have added to their skin care.

If you can't afford the Clarisonic, the Pretika looks like a Clarisonic knockoff:

Pretika Sonic-DermaBrasion Facial System
HSN Item: 278-319 $45
Cleanse, Exfoliate, Refine and Polish
http://beauty.hsn.com/pretika-sonic-dermabrasion-facial-system_p-3702251_xp.aspx?web_id=3702251&ocm=sekw
This handheld facial care system uses sonic technology to gently exfoliate and deep clean your skin for a radiant, younger-looking complexion in just 4 minutes! The water-resistant SonicDermabrasion™ Facial Brush has a 30-second timer ensuring even exfoliation with the Microdermabrasion scrub, while the Hydrating Firming Complex combats fine lines, wrinkles and discolorations. With two Micro-Fiber Bristle Brush applicators for a fast, easy way to get beautiful, smooth, rejuvenated skin. Rechargeable.

HSN video on it:
http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/pretika-sonic-dermabrasion-facial-system/7895237/

If you can't afford that, at least invest in a microfiber/microdermabrasion cloth or sponge. You can get the PSF one here at EDS or do a search here on EDS and you'll find info on many sources. I like the "microdermabrasion" sponges sold on Ebay by Stan or his wife YummySweetz:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthankyoustan
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZyummysweetz

Hopefully, a good cleaning regime will help clear out the pore congestion. Then you can work on adding one thing at a time and see how your skin reacts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, Smoky1.
I can understand that you are fed up with different skin care regimens now. I agree with the less is more approach.

* It seems like you need exfoliation to avoid clogged pores. An electric or manual cleansing brush is a good idea, or a micro fibre cloth. Some people, including myself, have good results with facial dry brushing with a natural bristle brush prior to cleansing once a day. It's cheap and easy and promotes circulation, exfoliation, a healthy glow and stronger skin.

* I would consider to limit cleansing and applying skin care products to every night and only splash cold water (and some moisturizing spray or cream, if needed) in the morning. Don't stress your skin.

* Re vit C serums: The ones with l-ascorbic acid tend to be pore-clogging. I will suggest a non-acid C serum. Two alternatives which contains the vit C derivative MAP, are Janson & Beckett C&C and Skin Beautiful triple C. These are suited for sensitive skin and don't clog pores, in my experience.

* I am a believer in product rotation. You might consider to use vit C serum 4-5 days a week and a vit A serum the remaining days. I found the PSF 0.5 % retinol to be very harsh on my skin and have had better luck with retinol in a silicone base, like f. ex.. Philosophy.

* Remember that beauty comes from within: Supplements with Omega 3 and wheat grass or barley grass are highly recommended for a healthy and glowing complexion.

I hope you get your skin back on track. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2008 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I concur with all the good advice above. However, I would also suggest that you try some lactic acid peels. Bumps and clogged pores have been one of my major skin issues and I have tried all kinds of exfoliating methods which all seemed to aggravate the situation and make it worse.

However, I've had great results from using 65% lactic acid (applied once a week) - my pores are so much less noticeable and my forehead is now clear of all the little white bumps. I also switched to the OCM which has worked wonders for me.

I also use Retin-A 0.1% and 0.05% - this is also very helpful for clogged pores so I can't imagine why you would be getting blackheads from its use. Maybe if you tried using the Retin-A every day with just some moisturising oil over it and cut out all the other stuff you would get better results.

Let us all know how you go - good luck!
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,
Which lactic acid do you use? I have always had this used at the derm's office but I think that I would like to try it at home.
I also have just thrown away all of my Tazorac & want to go back to Retin-A (or the like) because the taz was not agreeing with me at all. It was just way too harsh no matter what method I used to apply it. Does anyone have a Canadian brand of retinoid that they like?
Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:16 am      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
Keliu,
Which lactic acid do you use? I have always had this used at the derm's office but I think that I would like to try it at home.
I also have just thrown away all of my Tazorac & want to go back to Retin-A (or the like) because the taz was not agreeing with me at all. It was just way too harsh no matter what method I used to apply it. Does anyone have a Canadian brand of retinoid that they like?
Thanks!

I use the 65% lactic acid from Makeup Artists Choice. The Retin-A is Tretinoin.

I have just recently purchased a Vaculifter - Nanci at NCN Skincare is now the USA agent for them. I just wanted to mention that although I have only used it 3 times, it has absolutely sucked my pores clean - I love it and it works perfectly with OCM.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I also use Lactic Acid Peels. Mine is a 50% solution. Lactic Acid is very gentle and great for mature skin.

Keliu, I am waiting for my Vaculift. I ordered the facial large. What size did you get? Facial massage has become part of my routine since starting FlexEffect. The Vaculift could be a great tool for me. Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
I also use Lactic Acid Peels. Mine is a 50% solution. Lactic Acid is very gentle and great for mature skin.

Keliu, I am waiting for my Vaculift. I ordered the facial large. What size did you get? Facial massage has become part of my routine since starting FlexEffect. The Vaculift could be a great tool for me. Smile

Winnie, you're going to love the Vaculifter - it gives the most wonderful massage and leaves your skin feeling great. I got both the Face 1 and 2 - they sent me the Face 1 as a bonus because of the difficulties I had with purchase. IMO the Face 1 (2cm cup) is adequate for all of the body. The smaller 1cm cup (Face 2) is good for fiddly areas like above the lips and eye zone. However, you'll be happy with your purchase of the Face 1 and honestly, it cleans out the pores unbelievably.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for all the comments! I myself was wondering if I was doing too much and after reading these replies have decided to simplify (for the time being). Some comments to the emails:

1) I already exfoliate using JM glycolic cleanser, with Neostrata glycolic cleaner as an alternate. I also use a microfibre cloth on occasion. So, I don't think the clogged pores is because of not exfoliating enough. It may be more accurate that my skin may not like glycolic acid so I will definitely look into lactic acid as an exfoliator. Or maybe my skin does not like exfoliation at all. I have read that exfoliation can sometimes cause milia, too.

2) Vitamin C - I have already tried Janson Beckett C&C. = clogged pores. Are there other Vitamin C's that are not acidic?

3) Silicone based products - I think silicones contribute to clogged pores and milia for me, so I try to stay away from them, but it is hard to do as they seem to be in everything!

4) I take my vitamins, including the omegas and try to eat healthy. The one area that I am a bit slack on right now is exercise, and know that I need to get on track with that!

5) The idea of a cheaper version of Clarisonic appeals, but I am prone to broken blood vessel son my cheeks and worry that Pretika or some such equipment may increse the broken caps. Anyone with a propensity to these successfully use these products?

Also, I have the New Science of Perfect Skin book on reserve at the library, so hope that I don't have to wait too long for it and that it provides some guidance to me!

To add to all this, I have to use sunscreen, and we all know that suncreens sometimes cause problems. Right now, I am using Avene 30, and it does initially cause my face to look white, but it eventually settles down and looks normal. But it is kind of thick, and wonder what kind of cleanser would be best to not aggravate my skin even further. OCM does not seem to agree with me, and using a secondary cleanser afterwards did not help.

Thanks for playing detective with me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I can't speak for the Pretika brush, but I haven't had any problems with the Clarisonic in terms of broken caps. Of course, I only use the sensitive head, so that may help. (I use the "normal" one on my upper arms!)
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 25, 2008 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Smoky1 wrote:
5) The idea of a cheaper version of Clarisonic appeals, but I am prone to broken blood vessel son my cheeks and worry that Pretika or some such equipment may increse the broken caps. Anyone with a propensity to these successfully use these products?

I would save up for the Clarisonic as currently the Pretika only offers one brush type and some have commented it is rougher than the Clarisonic one:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29300

The Clarisonic offers three different brush heads: normal, sensitive, and delicate. The Clarisonic has a money back guarantee so if you don't like it, you can return it. Just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer for the guarantee and warranty to be legit.

Regarding your clogged pores, try just using your microfiber cloth and water to clean your face in the mean time. Your face may indeed not like glycolics and both cleansers you mentioned using include them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying to be gentle with my skin - laying off the glycolic cleansers and minimizing my products. I really have to do more reading about clarisonic and other products to see if I actually would use such a device should I save up enough to buy one...

I'll check back in a week or so to this thread and let you know how my simplified routine is working.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Interestingly, I tried the Clarasonic and sent it back. With all the products I guess my skin is clean enough and the Clarasonic just didn't agree.
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Interestingly, I tried the Clarasonic and sent it back. With all the products I guess my skin is clean enough and the Clarasonic just didn't agree with my skin.
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Another question I forgot to ask. Has anyone tried or looked at the Skinactives SAS Anti-Age Cream
with Resveratrol. Looks like they have some very good ingredients in this product. Would appreciate feedback.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
platinumrose wrote:
Interestingly, I tried the Clarasonic and sent it back. With all the products I guess my skin is clean enough and the Clarasonic just didn't agree with my skin.

Platinumrose, I saw this and asked a question of you on the thread you started:
Baby Quasar or Clarisonic????
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28591

You wrote:
platinumrose wrote:
Just an update. I did go ahead and get the Clarisonic. With my Elysee, my skin is already cleansed, pores clean, my skin is bright with a healthy glow and this cleaner feels like it is irritating my skin rather than helping it.

I am sticking with my Elysee and returning the Clarisonic. Should have stuck with perfection to start with.

platinumrose, I was confused with your posts on this thread:
(1) Did you return the Clarisonic after one use?
(2) Are you talking about the cleanser that comes with the Clarisonic irritating your skin or the actual brush?

I don't really like the cleanser that comes with the Clarisonic but love the brush!
You can use almost any cleanser with the brush, probably including the one from Elysee that you like. I've used a variety of cleansers with the Clarisonic, even the Burt's Bee oil one, and the brush works great. Currently, I've using Leaf & Rusher's green tea cleanser and am enjoying it.

Also, the Clarisonic offers 3 types of brush heads: normal, sensitive, and delicate. Those should cover most people...

And, if you don't like it (like platinumrose), it has a money back guarantee and you can return it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
HI, Guys, What is skin brushing or dry skin brushing? Confused Thank you! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
HI, Guys, What is skin brushing or dry skin brushing? Confused Thank you! Smile

Mars,

I think there are a couple threads here on dry brushing. Here are some threads:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3204
Can You Dry Brush Your Face?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21409&start=0

Later today I'll start a new thread on it as I it comes up often but a good description of how to do would be useful and I have some good info.

5% products discount

Wed May 28, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Frodo,

Thanks for starting this thread-- it's a very helpful discussion! I am in the peri-M phase and can relate to many posts here.

Being new to the EDS site and having been a bit out of the loop on the latest skin care lately I see that I have a lot of reading to do!

My approach has been primarily "beauty from the inside out"-- my current plan is to check out 302 skincare, use bioidenticals, update the dietary supplements I take, get back to my exercise routine (was out with an injury) and learn more about the "gadgets" -- for starters anyway.

Thanks again (Frodo and all!)
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm- I used the Clarasonic machine. It was the Clarasonic machine not the cleanser I did not like and I found it to harsh for my skin. I use cetaphil cleanser that I have used for years with my Elysee products.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 am      Reply with quote
platinumrose wrote:
Interestingly, I tried the Clarasonic and sent it back. With all the products I guess my skin is clean enough and the Clarasonic just didn't agree.

I don't love my clarasonic either, I don't hate it...I still have it and use it daily.
Lou
ccboyd123

Thu May 29, 2008 5:57 am      Reply with quote
HI I am new here and do not know what these stand far, please help. CP-BG-DPL- Thank you

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 am      Reply with quote
ccboyd123 wrote:
HI I am new here and do not know what these stand far, please help. CP-BG-DPL- Thank you

Hi Charlene, and welcome!

I know it's very confusing at first to understand all the skincare lingo.

CP = Copper Peptides

DPL = Deep Penetrating Light Therapy

I'm not sure about BG, maybe someone else will know that one.

Here is a thread which might help -
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3228
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |