Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
55 and over Skin Care issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Peachie
5% products discount

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi ladies! I'm 54 and am flipping because my jawline is dropping!!

I've read a lot about the derma rollers on the other thread, but I'm specifically wanting advice from those who are in my age group who have used it.

Anyone here used it? If so, which one and with what products?

I have rosacea, so I'm worried about making that worse too.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Peachie wrote:
Hi ladies! I'm 54 and am flipping because my jawline is dropping!!

I've read a lot about the derma rollers on the other thread, but I'm specifically wanting advice from those who are in my age group who have used it.

Anyone here used it? If so, which one and with what products?

I have rosacea, so I'm worried about making that worse too.

Lawd have mercy! You've come to the right place for company on the dreaded jawline droop..

Do yourself a huge favor, and read this entire thread on Dermarolling; (It will take you a while to get through it, but you'll be glad you did..) Beth has compiled extremely important and helpful info in a couple of threads, that you would be foolish to not take advantage of it all...Read, read, read before you do anything else! Start here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22460

My next suggestion is this thread on 'facial exercise' ... Now that's really the ticket to firming things up. Start here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=31539

A word to the wise now; Try not to get yourself overwhelmed with trying too many things right out of the gate. Learn all you can about each thing that interests you, and then when you decide to try something, give it time to work before going on to the next venture.. It will be impossible to keep track of what is good or bad, if you do too many things at once..

Also be sure to take pictures of yourself before + during your ventures.. It's best to take them in a room with artificial light, so they can be duplicated easily..

Good luck, read everything, ask lots of questions + welcome to the forum .. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I've always had EXCESSIVELY oily skin since I was 13. I used to feel so embarrassed about my shiny skin but now I realise that it's done me the biggest favour ever, as I have no wrinkles, except slight downward lines at the corners of my mouth. My biggest problem since turning 50 has been sagging. It's hard to explain until it happens to you, but sometimes you look in the mirror and don't recognise the face looking back, that's what sagging does to you! I didn't expect much when I ordered the Tua Viso,but it was from QVC and I had a 30 day return, so I had nothing to lose but from day 1, it has worked wonders for me! I've used it every day for 10 days, and it does take about 35 mins, but now I can do it without watching the DVD, I use it whilst watching the telly, so no problem really. It does feel strange and as I'm not very patient, I use it on as high a setting as feels comfortable, but the lift and tightness it's given me is unbelievable! My jowls have almost gone, my neck has really tightened and my cheeks have lifted. Still got work to do, but seeing these results are really inspiring. I have read where it hasn't done much for others but I'm loving it, and it's £165 well spent.
Peachie
5% products discount

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,
Thank you so much for the welcome and advice! Very Happy

This is all very involved. There are so many products and gadgets that I can't begin to figure which would be most helpful, or helpful at all to me!

I will take your advice and read, read, read.

The rollers look very interesting and I'd like to try one...just not sure which one would be best. Embarassed
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
stovetop wrote:
On esteemclinic.com.au - Skinceuticals is the featured skincare product. Are you familiar with it?

Skinceuticals is an Australian brand of cosmeceuticals that is widely sold in spas - I haven't tried any of their products myself, but they do have a good reputation.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
I love skinceuticals Vit C & E ferulic serum - I've used others and always go back to this.

I read somewhere that skinceuticals formula is the original C formula and not duplicated??? But I'll tell you what - Kassie has me intrigued with hers - so that might be my next trial!!!!
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been posted before. I did not see it on this thread. What's up with these? Is it normal to thin out significantly in the eyelash area with menopause? I know there a number of products out there that people have been trying. Anyone here have success? Does not seem quite fair to get some hairs on my chin but less on my head and lashes! It does look like hair on legs is getting thinner and that is a welcome change so don't have to shave as often.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Skinceuticals is an Australian brand of cosmeceuticals that is widely sold in spas - I haven't tried any of their products myself, but they do have a good reputation.

Skinceuticals isn't an Australian brand. I think you may be thinking of Ultraceuticals which is Australian.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted before. I did not see it on this thread. What's up with these? Is it normal to thin out significantly in the eyelash area with menopause? I know there a number of products out there that people have been trying. Anyone here have success? Does not seem quite fair to get some hairs on my chin but less on my head and lashes! It does look like hair on legs is getting thinner and that is a welcome change so don't have to shave as often.

Laughing Bad Grin Laughing Bad Grin Laughing

Oh Mommydearest, dontcha just love the dreaded ravages of menopause? Who knew we'd be plucking hairs out of our chinny chin chin, and trying to figure out what happened to our nice thick manes and lashes .. Rolling Eyes

All I know is that I was one hot 50 year old before all this started, and now as 59 is a few short weeks away ( Shock ), I'm hanging on for dear life to my LED + bottle of Valium .. Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm also going to give facial exercise a whirl, when I get rid of my houseful after Thanksgiving.

Check out this 'eyelash' thread that havana8 started;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=26723

Lots of great info is in there on what all is working, and not so much..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Skinceuticals isn't an Australian brand. I think you may be thinking of Ultraceuticals which is Australian.

You're absolutely right Bushy - I always get mixed up with the two. So when I did a double check on Skinceuticals I ended up here:

http://www.advancedcosmeceuticals.com.au/

which is the Australian site (with an Australian address) so, hence my confusion!

Anyway - the bottom line is that it is an excellent brand.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
mommydearest wrote:

Oh Mommydearest, dontcha just love the dreaded ravages of menopause? Who knew we'd be plucking hairs out of our chinny chin chin, and trying to figure out what happened to our nice thick manes and lashes .. Rolling Eyes

All I know is that I was one hot 50 year old before all this started, and now as 59 is a few short weeks away ( Shock ), I'm hanging on for dear life to my LED + bottle of Valium .. Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm also going to give facial exercise a whirl, when I get rid of my houseful after Thanksgiving.

Maybe if we all grew a beard it would cover up our sagging jowls. Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
mommydearest wrote:

Maybe if we all grew a beard it would cover up our sagging jowls. Laughing

I knew I could count on my *old* buddy to chime in and make me fall out of my seat laughing .. Laughing rofl Laughing

And maybe grow our hair long enough to hide the dreaded back fat ... There's nothing quite as attractive as an old broad with long hair and gray roots .. Rolling Eyes Shock Rolling Eyes

bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:56 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

You're absolutely right Bushy - I always get mixed up with the two. So when I did a double check on Skinceuticals I ended up here:

http://www.advancedcosmeceuticals.com.au/

which is the Australian site (with an Australian address) so, hence my confusion!

Anyway - the bottom line is that it is an excellent brand.

Thanks very much Keliu, I never realised that Skinceuticals had an Australian site. Have you purchased from them, and are the products current?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:42 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Thanks very much Keliu, I never realised that Skinceuticals had an Australian site. Have you purchased from them, and are the products current?

No, I have never purchased from them. However, Skinceuticals have such a good reputation that I couldn't imagine that the products sold here would be any different or any less current than those sold overseas. The products are also widely available in dermatologist and skincare clinics. Their Vitamin C Serum is supposed to be a leader in the market. HTH
sofiya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:34 am      Reply with quote
it's great to find this forum, I can buy this stuff for my mother, she is 56 and have the same problem, thanks Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 am      Reply with quote
I've tried many C-serums and always go back to skinceuticals.
coopergirl

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone has got good advice on some face cream for 55+. Help
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum, Coopergirl! Just make yourself a tasty beverage, settle down and scan through this thread--lots of ideas and experience here. Then, when you finish that, you might try searching for threads here about some of the products and ideas that pique your interest, based on your skin's needs. (Oh, and watch out for your wallet. This forum is truly dangerous to your fiscal health! Laughing

Let us know if you have any specific questions--we're a friendly and helpful crew, by and large.
coopergirl

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks flitcraft - have looked at so many ideas posted. The problem one still has to buy the stuff to try it. Was looking for something that has been successful for women over 55+. Let me know.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Well, Coopergirl, keeping in mind that people have different needs and react differently to products--I will say that, what has made the most difference to me is a combination of retinoid and a good Vitamin C serum. It takes time, but the benefits have been undeniable--I'be seen a dramatic decrease in pigmentation issues, in blotchy redness, in old marks from years-ago fights with acne, in skin texture becoming more refined and less coarse, in general healthiness and glow. Both retinoids and C serum have been tested in peer reviewed scientific clinical trials with positive results on skin texture and wrinkle reduction, too.

You'll find lots of threads here about each. To summarize very briefly: The gold standard for retinoids (Vitamin A derivatives) is Retin A, available only by prescription in much of the world except through certain off-shore phramacies. There are a few other prescrition products that are similar, such as Tazorac, Renova, etc. It takes time to show benefits, and in the early weeks, Retin A can cause irritation, including redness, skin peeling, and skin sensitivity. Many people get beyond that as their skin gets used to Retin A; some never get to the point where the irritation goes away.

For those folks, and for those unable to get a prescription or unwilling to pay the high (at least in the US) price of prescription retin A, there are over-the-counter retinoid products that are weaker than Retin A but still effective over time. I personally use Avene, which makes several such products including Ystheal, Eluage, and Diacneal (all sold in Europe and in Canada) and Retrinal (sold in the US,) which are all based on retinaldehyde, a precursor to the retinoic acid in Retin A.

Others have had good success with retinol products (two steps removed from retinoic acid) such as Green Cream, Skinceuticals retinol, Pure Skin Formulations retinol, etc.

Over the counter retinoids may also cause irritation initially, but generally much less than Retin A, and the irritation is more likely to be temporary.

Whether you pick Retin A or another prescription retinoid, or an over-the-counter retinoid product, they should be used at night because they cause additional sensitivity to sunlight, and you should always wear a high quality strong sunscreen while using a retinoid product. (I slipped up once early on and actually got sunburned sitting in my car for twenty minutes on a rainy day around noontime!)

I'll write more about Vitamin C later...Hope this helps!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Part two of my answer to Coopergirl:

Vitamin C was actually the first "active" skincare product I ever tried, so I can personally vouch for its effectiveness in dealing with dull, sallow skin and moderate hyperpigmentation. According to scientific studies, it also encourages collagen production in the skin, plumping the skin and decreasing the depth of wrinkles. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidant; much skin damage is caused by free radicals, and anti-oxidants work by "scavenging" them and neutralizing them.

The biggest problem with Vitamin C is that it loses its anti-oxidant properties through oxidization, which makes it useless or even potentially an aggravator of skin problems. You should look for a product that tells you what percentage of C is in the serum--at least 10% is needed, and up to 20% is good. For some people, Vitamin C can be irritating or cause blackheads, so starting with a lower percentage would be good.

Luckily there are quite a few "stable" Vitamin C serums with good percentages of C on the market. You will know in use if a serum is stable if it starts out colorless and stays that way. If it starts turned brownish or even slight amberish, it's turning and should be discarded. Some of the serums that I know are very stable are Cellularskin-rx and Vivier (which I have used) and Skinceuticals and Skinmedica (which others on the forum who I respect greatly have successfully used.) I have unfortunately not had as good luck with Pure Skin Formulations' C products--they do seem to turn brown before the product is used up. Too bad, because I generally like their products and their C serum is inexpensive.

Vitamin C serum should be used in the morning, since it itself gives a certain amount of protection from sun damage (though not enough to forego using sunscreen!!) You should let it soak it for at least 15 minutes before adding any other skincare or makeup or you'll be diluting the percentage of the product. Don't worry about washing it off--by 30 minutes after application it has sunk into the skin. So I put mine on the minute I wake up, and by the time I've had breakfast and am ready for my shower, it's all soaked in.

There is scientific evidence suggesting that C when combined with Vitamin E and/or ferulic acid is even more effective than C alone. You might want to look for a product that combines those active ingredients. Or you might choose to layer another product on top of the C that has those actives.

Again, this is a brief introduction to the world of Vitamin C. There are *loads* of threads with details and comparative information about various products, as well as recipes to whip up your own C serum.

Hope this helps.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
More for Coopergirl (and other 55 plussers starting to think about skincare for our age group):

I think there is the greatest degree of consensus and scientific evidence behind trying the 1,2,3 punch of high quality sunscreen every day, Vitamin C in the morning, and retinoid in the evening. But there are a number of other topicals that you might also read up on, if you want. I'll be really, really brief on these:

Copper peptides are said to "remodel" the skin over time, though for many there is a considerable period in which you look a lot worse ("the uglies") before you get the skin you want. I've not tried them myself, but the reaction on the forum is either a love it or hate it response.

Obagi is a full skincare regime based on retin A and other potent actives that requires a substantial time and money commitment but that works well for many, especially those with pigment problems.

Some swear by "DNA repair" serums like Remergent; or oxygen based lines like Karen Herzog, or acid-free lines like 302. If you are interested, you will find extremely extensive threads here on all of these.

Still, I would suggest that the best place to start your odyssey is with the big "three" for mature skin--Vitamin C, a retinoid, and the very best sunscreen with good UVA as well as UVB protection.

I will add one last brief item for you in between exam grading...
coopergirl

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Flitcraft

Thanks again. I will look for some Vit C - it makes sense.....probably more the serum. You are really informative and have already looked on the site for Vivier in Quebec. Living here on the island we do not have all the products that even Vancouver has. I will also look for some information on how to make the serum,

Much appreciated

Coopergirl
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Oh what the heck, here it is now--the exams can wait!

There are other things you can do in addition to using the right topicals. On this board, there are a number of folks getting amazing results from combining their topical products with things like:

Facial exercises--there are several sets out there combining resistance exercises to build facial muscles with massage and tissue manipulation. Flex Effect and Ageless if You Dare are two programs that a lot of forumites are using with good results to rebuild muscle and counteract sagging.

Dermarolling--this involves running a roller with ultra-short needles over the face. The theory here is that creating micro-damage actually promotes a set of responses in the skin that ultimately repairs the skin to be more like younger skin. Me, I'm too chicken to try it, but lots of people here have, with good results.

LED lights--There is a lot of excitement on the use of handheld LEDs on the forum. Depending on the wavelengths covered, they seem to be effective in reducing inflammation, dealing with hyper-pigmentation, broken capillaries, sunspots, sagging, acne, and wrinkles. The consensus here is that the best devices have high powered LEDs that are in close contact with the skin--those that treat the face from a distance don't have as positive reports here. The other thing to consider is that LEDs can range from infrared, to red, to amber, to green, and to blue--and each seems associated with particularly skin issues. For example, blue seems to be best for acne, amber for pigmentation, red and infrared for inflammation, etc. I should warn you that this discussion is very much simplified--if you have a month of your life to spare, read through the various LED threads (including specific threads on specific devices such as the Lightstim, the Prolight, the Quasar, and a homebrew vendor the LED man...)

There are other devices out there, too, but right now the ones with the most people reporting the most success are LEDs, the dermaroller, and facial exercises.

Again, hope this helps. At least it will give you some places to start looking.

And be of good cheer--I've had terrific response from the things I've done and have not only slowed the relentless aging curve, but seeing myself in photos proves to me that I look younger now than I did five years ago. Others here report the same or even better. Welcome again to the forum, and we look forward to hearing about your own progress and discoveries along the way!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
What a fascinating thread. Now that I've finished reading it, here's my six cents' worth.

I have a good skin, no hyperpigmentation, and a firm jawline with no natural wrinkles. Have used a sunscreen every day since I was 32. I have always believed that, just as our bodies require a constant supply of different nutrients, so do our skins from the outside. Therefore, I have never stuck with any one product. I use probably a dozen different products. I did try CPs for seven months or so, twice a day. In two weeks, I was up to the strongest one with no problems, but they have done nothing for my skin except make the pores appear larger (possibly because of the green colouration).

Currently, I am using retinoic acid, Remergent DNA, DMAE, Skin Eternal, Let's Make Collagen and the Skinactives cream with resveratrol. Occasionally, I use vitamin C around the eyes (where I have some strange new wrinkles that followed a bleph). I mix soy powder in with the Skinactives cream. I exfoliate every day, use a dermaroller four times a week and my Baby Quasar three times a week with hyaluronic acid. During the day, I wear a non-chemical sunscreen over everything.

I truly believe that maintaining a good skin is greatly enhanced by health supplements, especially milk thistle, which is supposed to detoxify the skin through strengthening the liver. I also use Sea Buckthorn oil for its omega 7s, ALA, 200 mg vit C, Biotin, 2000 mg MSM, a mixed-omega capsule, resveratrol, grape seed extract, mixed tocopherols, silica, lycopene, curcumin, and 20 other supplements that are not necessarily skin-enhancing. (I recently noticed that I rattle when I walk.)

One of the problems I am having is a thinning of the skin (though no wrinkles or discolouration) on my hands and in the crook of my elbows. I wish I could find something to reverse that. I'm hoping the various physical treatments will help (DR and BQ). Kassie also suggested the Vaculift, and I'm doing some facial exercises that don't pull at the skin. Rolling Eyes

ETA: I am also on bio-identical hormones - estriol and progesterone.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |