Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

~ Review ~ Garden of Wisdom Ready made Base Creams ~
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I don't remember doing a formal review of the Garden of Wisdom Base creams but i think it's time i do since it's been quite a few months and i am still using it and plan to in the future, which is big for me, since i am somewhat of a chameleon when it comes to skin care and am hardly devoted to any product save a couple.

Markey from GoW makes 4 formulations of the base cream: the regular base cream which contains emu oil, vegetarian base cream, the azulene base cream, and the azulene vegetarian base cream. I have both the veggie versions, and can't decide if i like the azulene better or the regular.

The ingredients seem simple yet so pure. i stole this off Markey's page since i am lazy at typing:

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/4600230.htm

GoW Base Cream

Deionized water; coconut milk; emu oil; watermelon seed oil; polawax NF;
emollient esters; galactoarabinan (polysaccharide); glycerin; allantoin;
optiphen

GoW Base Cream with .06% Azulene

Deionized water; coconut milk; emu oil; watermelon seed oil; polawax NF;
emollient esters; galactoarabinan (polysaccharide); glycerin; allantoin;
optiphen; azulene

GoW Base Cream for Vegetarians!

Deionized water; coconut milk; broccoli seed oil; watermelon seed oil;
polawax; emollient esters; galactoarabinan (polysaccharide);
glycerin; allantoin; optiphen

GoW Base Cream with .06% Azuelne for Vegetarians!

Deionized water; coconut milk; broccoli seed oil; watermelon seed oil;
polawax; emollient esters; galactoarabinan (polysaccharide);
glycerin; allantoin; optiphen; azulene

At about $6-8 for 2 oz., the base cream is very cheap! i thought i had nothing to lose when purchasing it and figured if my facial skin didn't like it, i had plenty of other places to use it like my legs or arms.

boy, was i in for a surprise, i really liked the cream, i actually now LOVE it. The base cream is cushiony, easy to spread and very concentrated, so i literally have to remind myself to scoop out the smallest portion.

Initially, i wasn't a DIY person at all, but i began "formulating" with proportions Markey had provided on her forum, and added in pearl powder and liquid beta glucans, then eventually beating in some east shea butter. the result is the creamiest, best moisturizer i have ever tried (a consensus among my friends/family who i have generously given either samples or full sizes to!).

Due to such a busy schedule, i ran out of my cream and didn't mix more and didn't realize how much my skin missed the combo of base cream + pearl powder + liquid beta glucans until i mixed some the other day. sadly, my aunt stole mine so i have to mix some more this weekend.

anyhow, i urge everyone to try the base cream, adding your own actives is actually quite fun and not hard at all and this is coming from a full time graduate student!

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
I hadnt seen that they have a veggie azulene one!I think id prefer that.

I got the azulene myself and really like it too. I havent added much, just seakelp and edelweiss extract.

I want to get more ingrediants when money permits Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carol!

Yup, i requested for Markey to make the azulene in the veggie version because i can't use emu oil (i am afraid it'll stimulate hair growth on my face from what i have read).

I have also added seamollient and seakelp bioferment in before also.

When your wallet permits Wink, definitely try the pearl powder mixed in, it is divine.

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
I will thanks Very Happy I dont like emu oil much so may get the veggie one at the same time.

How much pearl powder did you add to yours? Going by GOW's instructions it seems such a small amount but i guess they know what they're doing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol,

That's funny u say the concentration is low based on GoW's recommendation. I was honestly trying to follow the recipe on there but made a mistake by not adding the mix into the rest of the base cream, so mine is higher in pearl powder concentration. i liked it a lot, so i just keep making it with the higher concentration.

Oat Beta Glucans Pearl Powder Cream

- 1 tbsp base cream (i used GoW's veggie base cream)

- 1 tsp liquid oat beta glucans

- 1/2 tsp pearl powder

You can sub distilled water or hydrosol if you have any for the liquid beta glucans too. I usually make 2 or 3 tbsp so i just increase the proportions. there's more info on how to mix the cream in the DIY thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=625

HTH, Kristen~

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks kristen, very helpful.

Did you buy your pearl powder from GOW? Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carol,

yup, pearl powder from GoW also. 1 oz lasts forever too! http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4076644/3906335.htm

i have been toying with the idea of adding pearl powder to my shampoo since it's good for mattifying and my scalp is like an oil field. that might be a little decadent for me at the moment though (no job) Laughing.

~Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:32 am      Reply with quote
I know how you feel with the oily hair Confused and the no job..well im working but its only a miserly 10 hrs a week! Enough to buy the odd thing though Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:20 am      Reply with quote
OK, now. Could you please tell me exactly and step by step how you dilute the pearl powder?
I also bought some from GoW some time ago and tried water, aloe vera gel, cold, heated, add the powder to the liquid, liquid to the powder - nothing worked!I could swear that pearl powder is waterproof! So, I just gave up.
Maybe I could give it one more try?

45, normal skin, formerly break out prone, normalised through OCM, CP's, Retin-A, emu oil, very few fine lines, some sagging in jawline on the way to be corrected thanks to Ageless, Facercise, Flexeffect, delighted with pucker-up, dermarolling , knuckle massage, tanaka massage, cross-stretching, facial detox
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
lilome--click on the link i posted above under the recipe. i posted step by step instructions.

carol--10 hrs is enough to support this habit Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |