Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Microcurrent Help Needed - Galvanic or Not?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
schatze
5% products discount

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I am a long time lurker who has read everything I can find on microcurrent. I want to purchase a machine and it doesn't have to be portable/small but I am only looking to spend a few hundred dollars. I need to know if I should be buying a galvanic machine or not. I want the lift effect and not so much a cleansing or product pushing so I think that means a regular microcurrent. If I correctly understand it, the technical difference is in shape of the wave and whether it is a direct or alternating current. What is the effective difference for your face? I am looking at several microcurrent machines on eBay and studying the application of negative to positive for the treatments. Have any of you bought a larger machine than Facemaster, Nu Skin or Nuface and can share your experience? Anyone try both Nu Skin (galvanic) and Nuface(not galvanic)or tried spa/clinic treatments that are galvanic and not and can point me to which system I might want for toning my face? Anyone know of a machine that does both galvanic and regular for under a thousand dollars? I have wavered back and forth but I think the galvanic is not the one for me. Help me decide, please!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Phew! I'll chime in with a thing or two to get you started...

This is a link to a galvanic/microcurrent machine for sale on ebay that 'Keliu' bought that is the cheapest you'll find, if you want to just experiment a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microcurrent-Galvanic-Facial-Skin-Care-Salon-Equipment_W0QQitemZ120224267253QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11862QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is also a ton of info on the following thread for NuFace, which a lot of forum members are having great results with...(It didn't work for me, but nothing works the same for everyone...check it out)

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=18130

Here is another thread just started, about an 'ultrasound' machine, that may be helpful;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=22764

So hopefully that will help you in your quest for 'anti-aging gadgets'....

BTW, how old are you, and what concerns do you want to address????

HTH
Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I'm currently using Nuskin Galvanic Spa System II, my 4th week, 3 treatments/week. I don't know if I see improvement on lifting. I bought Nuface about 1.5 year ago, try 3 weeks and returned. I could only feel the current on my forehead. I bought a supposed to be salon use micro-current machine on ebay about 1 year ago. Used it few times and stop working plus it's too hard to do it yourself with 2 hands. I just got a Galvanic (Ion -, +), Ultrasonic, Micro-Current hand piece from Japan about a week ago. Actually I just finished my 2nd treatment about 10 min ago. I did not see anything.

I know I'm not helping.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your input Kassy_A and MACrisis. I have been reading and re-reading old threads here and searching the internet but it has been very hard to figure out the difference between galvanic and regular microcurrent. I realize I really want to know if one is better for the lifting and tightening. I read where deep cleansing is associated with the galvanic so I am wondering if it is more beneficial for cleaning the skin - not something I am looking for. As I look at the salon type machines, I can see where it would be difficult to treat yourself- it takes 2 hands for sure. The treatment seems to focus on placing a positive stick and moving a negative one over the muscle toward it. That can't be done with the fixed probes of Nuface. That takes me right back to the salon machine that requires dexterity. There I am, going in circles!
One machine I see has something called "magical gloves". Other than making me laugh, I have no idea what purpose they serve.Laughing

And Kassy,I am basically you. 55 with auburn hair,fair skin but blue eyes. I live in the New Orleans area- hot and sunny.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
schatze wrote:
And Kassy,I am basically you. 55 with auburn hair,fair skin but blue eyes. I live in the New Orleans area- hot and sunny.

ARGHHHH!!!! The South East weather is a killer for sure.....I try to hide out inside as much as I can.

Oooooh Weeeee, and then I just sit inside and think of the ravages of menopause, and how much it sucks to be so powerless over it.... Sad

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
schatze wrote:
........One machine I see has something called "magical gloves". Other than making me laugh, I have no idea what purpose they serve.Laughing......................

I did not know about the gloves thingy until I talked to a guy, yes a guy, one of our vendors (His wife went to beauty school in Japan.). He said he had a water proof pair he just purchased. He used them while taking a bath, it has "current", so it'll work his face, thights, legs,........

I don't know about the salon use Galvanic machine but from what I have (Nuskin and few micro-current machines), you don't feel anything while using Galvanic system but you feel the current while using micro-current machine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, yes I recently purchased two microcurrent devices from Ebay. One was a "professional" salon type machine that has the two probes. It also has other probes that deliver a Feradic pulse (whatever that is). It was relatively inexpensive, AUD$380.00. I don't find it too difficult using the two separate probes, although it would be much more relaxing to be lying down and have someone else operate the machine. I have also read that you are supposed to slide the negative probe to the positive probe, however, my machine does not differentiate between the probes, they're not labelled. Plus the instruction book says nothing about this. So I asked the seller and she said it doesn't matter how you place the probes Embarassed all very confusing. You can really feel the muscles twitching when you use the machine so I only use it on a low setting as it seems quite powerful.

The other gadget I bought is a little device that looks like a mini Nuface. It's supposed to use galvanic current which the instructions say is for cleansing the skin and no I haven't got a clue what galvanic current is either.

I used the "professional" machine for about two weeks straight then I got Botox in my forehead and stopped using it. I didn't want to stimulate any muscles I'd just paid a fortune to get paralysed! I don't think that either device has lifted my jowls and corners of my mouth (the two areas that I am most concerned with). At our age, I'm 58, sagging skin is caused by a loss of fat and oestrogen so I don't think that any amount of facial muscle stimulation is going to put our face back to where we would like it to be! However, I'm willing to try anything so when my Botox has settled I'll be back into it. You will also probably be interested in this thread

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22907
schatze
5% products discount

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:48 am      Reply with quote
That's why the gloves are there. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be a hand treatment or what. And if they are magic, the mind wanders. Shock

I know people use the two fisted application with Facemaster so I guess it's not that hard to do it yourself. If the probes are colored red and black, I'd go with red = positive and black = negative as with car battery jumper cables. Oh my.

As for Feradic pulse, I already have too many questions on my plate. I now see a combo machine that is high frequency and galvanic - yikes!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I knew I would find the right thread to post a good video I found in.

It's the instructional video for the Skin For Life 9 in 1 facial system, which sells for $1399. The video covers microcurrent, galvanic, gloves, ozone + high frequency. Can't remember what else.

On second thought, MACrisis, maybe you better skip it.... rofl ... I just remembered the "Crazy" thread.. (Ah, what the heck!!)

Very Fast

http://wms1.streamhoster.com/lifelinem/wm9_400kbit_9_in_1_video.wmv

Fast

http://link1.streamhoster.com/?u=lifelinem&p=%2fwm9_300kbit_9_in_1_video.wmv&odaid=108

Slow
http://link1.streamhoster.com/?u=lifelinem&p=%2fwm9_150kbit_9_in_1_video.wmv&odaid=108

lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:54 am      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
I'm currently using Nuskin Galvanic Spa System II, my 4th week, 3 treatments/week. I don't know if I see improvement on lifting.

Any updates on the Nuskin device, MACrisis, as it was mentioned as being better than the Nuface on a recent thread.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
I'm currently using Nuskin Galvanic Spa System II, my 4th week, 3 treatments/week. I don't know if I see improvement on lifting. I bought Nuface about 1.5 year ago, try 3 weeks and returned. I could only feel the current on my forehead. I bought a supposed to be salon use micro-current machine on ebay about 1 year ago. Used it few times and stop working plus it's too hard to do it yourself with 2 hands. I just got a Galvanic (Ion -, +), Ultrasonic, Micro-Current hand piece from Japan about a week ago. Actually I just finished my 2nd treatment about 10 min ago. I did not see anything.

I know I'm not helping.

Microcurrent and Galvanic, while different types of current, both share the goal of stimulating the collagen/elastin layer of the skin and rejuvenate the ability to tighten. The level of improvement is directly related to the condition of the collagen/elastin layer, thickness of the skin, and age. Both of these currents will have a far more dramatic and positive effect on younger skin. As an esthetician, I see the greatest results in people (men use it, too) who are 35-50, though I have absolutely seen improvement on over 50's.

Galvanic has multiple benefits. The positive charge does deep cleaning, and the negative charge pushes treatment products deeper into the skin. When used one after the other, the collagen/elastin layer gets stimulated and temporarily improves the appearance of sagging and wrinkles. The more often done, the longer the results will eventually hold.

Accupuncture/accupressure are also helpful, but need to be done in some 12 closely spaced treatments. I'm guessing the cost varies from city to city, so wouldn't venture a guess on that.

In my esthetics work, I use tuning forks to simulate accupuncture for some of my clients, and jade massage rollers for pushing treatment lotions deeper into the skin, moving lymph, and reducing puffiness around the eyes.

I also use galvanic, but not microcurrent. I have nothing against microcurrent, I just don't see a need for it with all the other methods I do have at my disposal.

Personally, I like the NuSkin Galvanic device, and highly recommend it to my clients who want something easy, dependable, and effective they can use at home in between facial appointments.

Suzanne Somers has a device out called "FaceMaster" that is a double probe microcurrent unit for inhome use. It is inexpensive, but I know nothing about it other than it exists.
wnnabhppy

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I hope this helps some. I am studying to be a licensed Esthetician (hopefully will be one by this weekend, will be taking my boards), I am also looking into Microcurrent machines for the face as well as the breasts and body sculpting. I have had it done to me twice at school using very good equipment and I have noticed a small difference. This has got to be done 2 times a week for a few months and continue every month thereafter. The Galvanic has nothing to do with lifting the face, it does however help penetrate water soluble products (such as ampoules and vitamin C) into the epidermis and even into the dermis. Galvanic is good for stimulating and anyone with acne (if you have alot of breakouts) should not use because it will just aggravate the condition. Hope this helps.
devanrwalker

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I work for the company that did the design for the Galvanic Spa II from Nu Skin, what the products do is they have an electric charge say negative or positive and so does the "product/lotion" you use. It repels it into your skin cause they are both negative then it changes to positive to pull it out. So the effect is really based on the product/lotion you use (it must have an electric charge on it)
Someone mentioned that they could only feel it on their forehead, which is typical for most people, you dont need to feel it for it to be working though, most people only feel it in sensative spots.

But basically it depends on the product/lotion you use and if you are consistant. Galvanic products really only improve the results.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
devanrwalker wrote:
So the effect is really based on the product/lotion you use (it must have an electric charge on it)

So how do you know if the product you're using has a charge or not? Thanks
maryannek

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:33 am      Reply with quote
The galvanic spa hand held machine is clinically proven to restore your skin's elasticity over time. You should feel no uncomfortable sensations as you use the machine. Their anti-ageloc systems are patented so that other companies cannot reproduce it. I have been using the machine for months and was so impressed I actuallly became a distributor for the company so if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Thanks
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:26 am      Reply with quote
maryannek wrote:
The galvanic spa hand held machine is clinically proven to restore your skin's elasticity over time. You should feel no uncomfortable sensations as you use the machine. Their anti-ageloc systems are patented so that other companies cannot reproduce it. I have been using the machine for months and was so impressed I actuallly became a distributor for the company so if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Thanks

Hi maryannek, welcome to the forum!

What specifically impressed you so much?
maryannek

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi back!! Well I am not one to spend a large amount of money on myself but my client gave us a free galvanic spa treatment and we saw results instantly. Than I attended a meeting with her for the Nu Skin company which makes the products and was blown away. They actually have a patent on their anti-ageloc products with a money back quarantee. I like the fact that I can teach people in the privacy of their own home how to do a facial that takes only 15 minutes with great products and get the same results you would get at a salon for alot of money. It is easy to use and the fact that it is proven and guaranteed by a company that has been in busness for over 20 years says alot to me. I am not a "salesperson" type but since getting this product for myself I have been using it on my clients, I work in a salon, and in todays tough economy this machine is selling itself because of the simple fact that you see the results immediatley and the customer is actually doing the procedure on herself so she wont get it home and not no how to use it.
Please feel free to contact me and I will give the the website where you can see all the info for yourself. Hope I helped!
TexasStar
5% products discount

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have now used my Nuskin (original) 3 days in a row and WoW it has nearly erased my deeper smile lines at corner of mouth, smokers lines, and alligator patches on cheeks and just below. My jowls are improved but now gone. (can't do facial exercises, tried and jaw problems started coming back, Have a dermal tone on it's way) Forehead and 11's improved greatly.
I used my Aloe and Silkia and it stays nice and slick for smooth nice gliding.
I'm very pleased.
Anyone use their NuSkin everyday?
Texas
paintrlady

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and notice alot of you are experimenting with the Nuskin Galvanic Spa. I started using mine a year ago when my husband and I were interested in becoming distributors. He actually used me as a "test" by having me use it twice a week on the right side of my face for three weeks before going to the left side. After 5 treatments on the right with very promising results, I started using it on the left side of my face. I noticed that when I used the Galvanic Spa around my left temple ("crows feet") area, I felt electrical shocks... like getting "zapped." I stopped the treatment, and after washing the gel off my face, I noticed the left side felt numb. Shortly after, I started feeling little shocks all over the left side of my face and into my scalp. I have a theory about why this only happened on the left, and not the right, side of my face. I have a lot of dental work on the left side (four crowns with exposed metal at the gum line, plus two almost solid silver teeth next to these). The right side of my mouth has mostly porcelain fillings.
Has anyone else ever had unexplained shocks while using this device? I'm pretty sure that the electrical current entered my skin and reacted with all the metal in my mouth, causing a galvanic shock.
Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from anyone with similar problems. Judy
maryannek

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi I must tell you that I am a distributor (best thing I ever did) and that I have never heard of this before. I have even done the galvanic on people with braces. If you would like I can find out from my sponsor and see if this has happened to anyone else. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. thanks
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:52 am      Reply with quote
maryannek wrote:
Hi I must tell you that I am a distributor (best thing I ever did) and that I have never heard of this before. I have even done the galvanic on people with braces. If you would like I can find out from my sponsor and see if this has happened to anyone else. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. thanks

Hi Maryannek, Could you tell me if there is any difference, performance wise, in the Nuskin Galvanic Spa I and II. TIA

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nu Skin only offers the galvanic II at this time because they have improved and found new technology to improve the enzymes in your skin. The Galvanic II goes for about 350.00 with a months worth of supplies but you can also use this machine with all it's different attachement (that comes with the purchase price) for your body..to improve cellulite, for your scalp if you have thinnning hair. It seems like alot of money with today's tough economy but what I like is it has a money back guarantee and their anti-ageloc is actually patented....how many companies can say that. If you would like to check out their website..nuskinusa. it will answer and show you everything they have to offer. Hope this helps.
alice54

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi, everyone, I just purchased a galvanic handheld unit off amazon. I don't know much about galvanic. Can you use you own recipes for a facial like vinegar and water? Can you tell me what I need to do to give myself a facial with this unit?

5% products discount

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:48 am      Reply with quote
alice54 wrote:
Hi, everyone, I just purchased a galvanic handheld unit off amazon. I don't know much about galvanic. Can you use you own recipes for a facial like vinegar and water? Can you tell me what I need to do to give myself a facial with this unit?

Hi there, I have the orginal NuSkin and I use the gels that came with it every 3rd time I use it, the other times I use water and aloe gel. I clean my face, pat dry, apply aloe abit thick (it's inexpensive), and pat with water. I then begin.

Texas
alice54

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:04 am      Reply with quote
o.k.-so if I wanted to use some of my vitamin C
crystals dissolved in water....would that be fine?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |